Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

2014 Emmy Discussion Thread - 8/25/14 (NBC)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2014 Emmy Discussion Thread - 8/25/14 (NBC)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: 2014 Emmy Discussion Thread

I thought The Good Wife might get nominated as a series but it's been left out the last couple years as well. Christine Baranski had a good season and would be a deserving winner.

to Lizzy Caplan.
Old 07-10-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777

to Lizzy Caplan.
X 1000. Hope she wins.

Again annoyed by the lack of love for The Americans. I know Matthew Rhys didn't have a chance with that Murder's Row of nominees (excluding Jeff Daniels, of course), but would have liked to see Keri Russell, Noah Emmerich and especially Annet Mahendru as Nina get some recognition.
Old 07-10-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I don't get how they consider those actresses from Orange/Black and Joan Cusack from Shameless as "Guest" actresses when they're regulars on the show.
Originally Posted by RichC2
It's all about how they're credited...
I think at this point, they clearly just let the producers decide who is Guest, who is Supporting... How they are credited doesn't even matter.

I mean, she's the second name in the show intro.

They might as well have submitted Woody Harrelson under Guest to give both him and MM a shot at winning for True Detective. I'm sure it was seriously considered.
Old 07-10-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Tatiana Maslany not getting an Emmy nomination means the entire thing is a joke. She's teaching a master class in character work every single episode. Ridiculous.
From the @OrphanBlack twitter feed...

Helena believes awards are made of chocolate. Hide all statuettes.
Love me some Helena. Which is the point. Others might say, no way, Alison is the best. Others may like Cosima. But at some point we have to remind ourselves we're talking about the same actress in all these roles. Even if I don't think the show itself is the best, she's killing it.
Old 07-10-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

actor in a drama will go to Jeff Daniels just to piss everyone off
Old 07-10-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

McConnaughey vs. Cranston
True Detective vs. Breaking Bad

...should be interesting.

I'm guessing True Detective for actor and Breaking Bad for series.
Old 07-10-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Love me some Helena. Which is the point. Others might say, no way, Alison is the best. Others may like Cosima. But at some point we have to remind ourselves we're talking about the same actress in all these roles. Even if I don't think the show itself is the best, she's killing it.
Exactly - and then she turns around and plays characters who are playing other characters and you can totally tell that's what she's doing.

Not that the other actresses aren't good - but she's going above and beyond for every episode.
Old 07-10-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm more confused how Treme Season 4 is considered a mini-series.
Probably b/c it wasn't a full season.
Old 07-10-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by badlieut
McConnaughey vs. Cranston
True Detective vs. Breaking Bad

...should be interesting.

I'm guessing True Detective for actor and Breaking Bad for series.
I'm guessing McConnaughey and Harrelson both being nominated for lead actor will hurt McConnaughey's chance of winning it.
Old 07-10-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I actually think Maslany is rightfully not nominated but I've never thought much of Orphan Black as a whole which may make me a little bias (it honestly reminds me of the internet pushing the greatness of Firefly), but she does work her ass off.
I think Orphan Black is decent, and I agree that it's getting a lot of internet/geek love and can be considered overrated because of that... but I can't see how they would ignore Tatiana's performance. Her performance is a major reason I'm watching the show. She's playing clones and yet while I'm watching I keep forgetting it's all being done by the same actress - and it's not the makeup that's making me forget either. To me that really says something.
Old 07-10-14, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I'm guessing McConnaughey and Harrelson both being nominated for lead actor will hurt McConnaughey's chance of winning it.
Not at all. Did Matt Damon's nomination hurt Michael Douglas' chances last year in the Miniseries/TV Movie category? When someone's got all the heat and momentum, you know it. That's the case here with McConnaughey. He's about to join Helen Hunt as the only winner of the Best Actor/Actress Oscar and Best Actor/Actress in a TV Series Emmy in the same year.
Old 07-10-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Going through the list again and I just noticed Silicon Valley got a nod for Best Comedy. Not sure of it's chances to win but I'm pulling for it.
Old 07-10-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I thought The Good Wife might get nominated as a series but it's been left out the last couple years as well. Christine Baranski had a good season and would be a deserving winner.

to Lizzy Caplan.
Not really fair for Broadcast Networks. Easier to have tighter plot/storyline in 10-12 episode seasons compared to 20-22 episodes.
Old 07-10-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I think at this point, they clearly just let the producers decide who is Guest, who is Supporting... How they are credited doesn't even matter.

I mean, she's the second name in the show intro.

They might as well have submitted Woody Harrelson under Guest to give both him and MM a shot at winning for True Detective. I'm sure it was seriously considered.
Wrong season. The second name is Laura Prepon, Uzo isn't listed during the main credit sequence in Season 1. (Cut off is May 31st, Season 2 of OITNB will be eligible for next years Emmys). These nominations are all for S1 of OITNB.
Old 07-10-14, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Not really fair for Broadcast Networks. Easier to have tighter plot/storyline in 10-12 episode seasons compared to 20-22 episodes.
It is what it is. They can make 10-12 episode seasons if they want to. Fox just did with 24. Certainly there are things that the Networks can't really do content or language-wise due to network standards - can't see a network putting out Breaking Bad or Masters of Sex - but Hannibal sure pushes even that envelope.
Old 07-10-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
I think Orphan Black is decent, and I agree that it's getting a lot of internet/geek love and can be considered overrated because of that... but I can't see how they would ignore Tatiana's performance. Her performance is a major reason I'm watching the show. She's playing clones and yet while I'm watching I keep forgetting it's all being done by the same actress - and it's not the makeup that's making me forget either. To me that really says something.
I haven't bought into her characters as well as others I suppose. And yeah, Internet hype is a double edged sword. Sophia Bush, however, agrees:

******** async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">*********>
Old 07-10-14, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding Treme, I read a post on another forum which said that a series must have 6 or more episodes in a season to qualify for "Best Series" -- and since Treme S4 had only 5 episodes, it couldn't qualify.

Sure seems like there are lots and lots of rules and loopholes shows are using to maximum advantage these days (series vs. miniseries, lead vs. supporting vs. guest actor/actress).
Old 07-10-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the single biggest loophole is with The Square. I'm not really sure how a movie gets Oscar and Emmy nominations. I would figure one would make it ineligible for the other.
Old 07-10-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I wonder if the voters even watched BREAKING BAD. For them to ignore Dean Norris after that final season is nearly as hard to believe as them omitting Esposito for Gus Fring. I think it's just lazy voting. They pick the usual names.

If HANNIBAL was on cable or Netflix it would have a dozen nominations by now.
Old 07-10-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They went with Aaron Paul, though since Esposito and Paul were nominated at the same time a couple years ago it does seem odd.
Old 07-10-14, 01:48 PM

I think the single biggest loophole is with The Square. I'm not really sure how a movie gets Oscar and Emmy nominations. I would figure one would make it ineligible for the other.
That is Weird. From thewire.com :

Jehane Noujam's gripping documentary about the Egyptian Revolution, centered around Tahrir Square, was nominated for a deserved Oscar, which logically should preclude it from a TV awards ceremony. But because it was released on Netflix, which blurs the line between TV studio and film platform, it's also up for four Emmys—Outstanding Documentary Special, cinematography, editing and directing.
Old 07-10-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

+ Breaking Bad Would like to see this one sweep all major awards
+ Key & Peele, Inside Amy Schumer for writing

- I've given up that The Middle will ever get a chance to shine much like the other celebrated ABC sitcom, and if Tatiana Maslany wasn't nominated for the past two seasons of Orphan she ain't gonna get one for the show in the future. Boo.

- no Hannibal or best series nom for The good wife with its best season?? Wow. That CBS anti-cable emmy campaign must've backfired.

- no spot in TV movie for An Adventure in Space and Time

I didn't care for The Spoils of Babylon but @ Kristen Wiig getting a nom for that spoof of big epic event miniseries/movies.
Old 07-10-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

They went with Aaron Paul, though since Esposito and Paul were nominated at the same time a couple years ago it does seem odd.
For season 4, Paul and Esposito both got noms. For 5.1, both Paul and Jonathan Banks got noms. I figured Norris was a lock for this last season. Hell, I thought he should win.

One wonders if his hammy performance in Under the Dome hurt him. Of course, Jon Voight's hammy performance in Ray Donovan didn't stop him from getting nominated for that show.
Old 07-10-14, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by philo
I wonder if the voters even watched BREAKING BAD. For them to ignore Dean Norris after that final season is nearly as hard to believe as them omitting Esposito for Gus Fring. I think it's just lazy voting. They pick the usual names.

That's a seriously tough category. You could easily fill another ballot with worthy Supporting Actors who were snubbed:
Charles Dance - Game of Thrones
Noah Emmerich - The Americans
John Slattery - Mad Men
Michael K. Williams - Boardwalk Empire
Jeffery Wright - Boardwalk Empire
Old 07-10-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Wrong season. The second name is Laura Prepon, Uzo isn't listed during the main credit sequence in Season 1. (Cut off is May 31st, Season 2 of OITNB will be eligible for next years Emmys). These nominations are all for S1 of OITNB.
The Emmys are too confusing for me, but I'll book mark my post and it save it for next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.