TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "Still" -- 3/02/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Still" -- 3/02/14

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
@ JB Smoove saying "Daryl needs to get a piece of that (Beth) ass" followed by his "get some ass" dance. (Talking Dead)
He was hilareous on Talking Dead as the actress who played Beth looked horrified everytime he talked about Darryl getting 'some' from her.

Overall, I liked the episode as the second part of season 4 is about alot of the characters and how they were pre-apocalypse. I think this show has 2 types of fanbases:

1. More drama, then killing walkers/action

2. More killing walkers/action, then drama.

I think the show will constantly be pleasing one fanbase, while annoying the other fanbase with each episode centering around either more drama or more killing walkers/action. I used to notice the same battles with The Sopranos, as many fans wanted more violence and others wanted more drama between the characters.

I personally want to know as much about the character's past as possible as that is what really drives the show for me. I still think the show always needs an macro threat to them to keep the plot going, and I think that is the only thing that is lacking in the 2nd part of season 4.
Old 03-03-14, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
There was a funny outtake from last week's Justified episode, a spot where Boyd yells FUCK and Daryl Jr says, "You can't say that word on FX, Boyd. You can't use the word 'fuck' on FX." I swear it's been used before on The Shield. :scratch:
Where can I find this?
Old 03-03-14, 07:38 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I liked the character development. There was some tension with the hoard around the trunk of the car and then the country club "tee-off" so to speak on walker heads. I guess people can say whatever they want about the show, as long as they keep watching, which they were. My DirecTV system indicated that it was once again the top show in the 9pm EST time slot, beating out the Oscars.
Old 03-03-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by andicus
Yes, it was presumably already cracked. That's why he missed the squirrel. Pretty good episode. A bit strange that they had to use glass and a mirror to start a fire, but then used/wasted a match to start the fire and burn down what should've been their shelter for the night.
It obviously was designed to have symbolic value, but in a logical context, between the possibility of burning the forest down, and it's usefulness as shelter (though that would be limited, beat to hell as it was), it does logically seem kind of stupid.
Old 03-03-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think this show has 2 types of fanbases:

1. More drama, then killing walkers/action

2. More killing walkers/action, then drama.
I'm in the 3rd fanbase where we just want good drama and then it's not so important how much killing there is.

As of right now, this episode included, TWD is mostly an inconsistent mess.
Old 03-03-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunde
i'm in the 3rd fanbase where we just want good drama and then it's not so important how much killing there is.

As of right now, this episode included, twd is mostly an inconsistent mess.
qft
Old 03-03-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the episode. A lot. The best of the second half of the season for me. Again, the hate piled on this show is just funny. If I disliked a show as much I would have stopped watching it a long time ago.

Two things:
-Yes, the bolt was cracked before he broke it.
-They were drunk. Moonshine for someone who hadn't ever drank before or not drank in a couple of years would make you do stupid shit.
Old 03-03-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
There was a funny outtake from last week's Justified episode, a spot where Boyd yells FUCK and Daryl Jr says, "You can't say that word on FX, Boyd. You can't use the word 'fuck' on FX." I swear it's been used before on The Shield. :scratch:
It was never used on The Shield. They wanted to do it during a key moment in the penultimate episode but were denied.
Old 03-03-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gunde
I'm in the 3rd fanbase where we just want good drama and then it's not so important how much killing there is.

Yup. Although I mostly agree about this episode.

But it's always easier to see things black and white, right? right?
Old 03-03-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I really liked this episode as well. Loved the character development and interaction between Darryl and Beth.
Old 03-03-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I like peach schnapps.
Old 03-03-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
I like peach schnapps.
For your first taste of alcohol it certainly beats moonshine
Old 03-03-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

One of my favorite episodes of the entire series. My only (small) complaint is that right before Daryl and Beth enter the room where Daryl takes out the walkers with a golf club is that they clearly enter that room through a door. Daryl could have easily shut that door and not had to deal with those walkers.
Old 03-03-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with fanbase comment; that's where I feel I'm at now -- watching them now struggle so much to find balance between TV drama and comic book pulp, after ignoring that balance for so long. This episode was OK, but again where will this mesh two, three episodes from now -- likely it won't and will fall by the wayside.

This show just loves to turn out of a spin and if they take on another Big Bad at any point, it's just going to right back to "Awww-come-on"-ness.
Old 03-03-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Where can I find this?
Went to the Justified wrap party Saturday and that was on the blooper reel.
Old 03-03-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hated this episode. In fact I can't even say that since I turned it off after 30 minutes. So boring. This show needs a fucking plot ASAP.

There were a few episodes back in the first half of season 3 where I thought this show was really firing on all cylinders, but it took a break and the show has never really recovered to that level. There are few shows on TV as aimless and perplexing as TWD.
Old 03-03-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wish the killing had a point. Instead, it feels like every episode they just waste time manufacturing these pointless zombie encounters for no reason at all. 15 minutes wasted with extreme close-up shots watching whoever clear yet another house/store, only to be surprised by a "sleeping" zombie at the end. Or maybe 10 minutes wasted on zombies appearing out of nowhere at an inopportune time and we watch some carnage and then everyone is on their way. There is no tension to these scenes and they don't serve the plot at all.

The scene a couple weeks ago when Rick wakes up to find bandits in his house, that was good stuff. Something they hadn't done before and it was exciting.

Last week, when a horde comes out of the cornfield while Glenn is having his 20th hissy fit of the season about Maggie, not so much. And speaking of, talk about a boring relationship that has been given way too much screen time for four seasons now.

Anyway, they could have cut out half of these pointless zombie battles, edited the episodes better so we are following all the disparate characters at once, and fit all the content since the second half of the season started into two eps.
Old 03-03-14, 01:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

When I watched this episode, I could imagine the internet complaints already "What up with this talkin'? Why they not done be killing more them zombies?"
Old 03-03-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
one smell of the moonshine and Beth would have been pushing it away
yet she acted like it was water
Old 03-03-14, 01:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Hmm...

Spoiler:

(spoiled due to a large image, not due to an actual spoiler...be sure to scroll all the way to the right if you have a small monitor)
Old 03-03-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great episode. Don't mind the slow-down as we got more back-story on both of thees two people. And the reason they used a match at night and the glass during the days is quite simply, there was no other option at night (no sunlight).
Old 03-03-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
I like peach schnapps.
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
They didn't have Daryl explicitly say this in the episode, but I think he was sharing with Beth his first experience with alcohol as well when he made her drink the moonshine. It feels like something that Meryl would have made Daryl drink for his first time.

I'm surprised at the negative reaction by some to this episode. It was about a fan favorite character in Daryl (though he doesn't really talk much in it) and the first act was all him cleaning out the zombies in the country club.

I guess people were hoping for more of a special moment than Daryl and Beth bonding. This was really the first time I saw Beth as her own character. Before she had always been Maggie's little sister or Hershel's daughter.
Old 03-03-14, 02:23 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hmm...

Spoiler:

That's a good one.
Old 03-03-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm just embarrassed for half of you, shame on you. If this is good tv, then I might as well just plain give up turning it on ever again.
Old 03-03-14, 02:36 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
I'm just embarrassed for half of you, shame on you. If this is good tv, then I might as well just plain give up turning it on ever again.
The show is not without its problems, but it's certainly more entertaining than 98% of current television content. It's not Mad Men quality writing and acting, but it is satisfying enough entertainment.

If it's such a terrible show, why is everybody still watching it in its fourth season?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.