TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "Still" -- 3/02/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Still" -- 3/02/14

Originally Posted by funkyryno
The show is not without its problems, but it's certainly more entertaining than 98% of current television content. It's not Mad Men quality writing and acting, but it is satisfying enough entertainment.

If it's such a terrible show, why is everybody still watching it in its fourth season?
Exactly. My defense of this show goes like this: I love horror movies. My favorite sub-genre of horror is zombie movies. The show has it's problems but it is better than 95% of the zombie movies that have been made.

If you don't like the show maybe you are not it's target audience. You really don't have to watch. Really.

Question: How old is Beth supposed to be?
Old 03-03-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Great episode. Don't mind the slow-down as we got more back-story on both of thees two people. And the reason they used a match at night and the glass during the days is quite simply, there was no other option at night (no sunlight).
The point is, that if they're conserving matches in the day, they obviously don't have many. Why waste one at night, to burn down what should have been your shelter?

Because they were drunk and stupid, is the most reasonable answer. I suppose you could consider that they may have found the matches later, but if they were desperate enough in the day to have to use glass and a mirror, you'd think they would still have the sense not to waste them.

And regarding other complaints about those watching/complaining, personally I question the stupid things people do in the show, as I would IRL. It doesn't mean I'm not entertained, apart from the stupid actions.
Old 03-03-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
The point is, that if they're conserving matches in the day, they obviously don't have many. Why waste one at night, to burn down what should have been your shelter?

Because they were drunk and stupid, is the most reasonable answer. I suppose you could consider that they may have found the matches later, but if they were desperate enough in the day to have to use glass and a mirror, you'd think they would still have the sense not to waste them.
I'm guessing you have never been drunk. I'm glad I'm not judged on all of the much more stupid crap I've done while drunk.
Old 03-03-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You've done stupider things than burning down your night shelter during a zombie apocalypse?

I've been drunk plenty of times, but that's far stupider than anything I've done while drunk.
Old 03-03-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I guess people were hoping for more of a special moment than Daryl and Beth bonding. This was really the first time I saw Beth as her own character. Before she had always been Maggie's little sister or Hershel's daughter.
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Agree about Beth, and then I also wondered the same question to myself. It seems like before they positioned Beth to be really young and even looking at Carl, but now that her character actually stuck around and they have other young girls, they're making her a little older.
Old 03-03-14, 03:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I used to think "man, this show could go on forever!", now I think "man, how are they going to get another couple of seasons out of this premise?".
Old 03-03-14, 03:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

According to this link, she's 18 (but they don't explain where they get the number from):

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Beth_Greene

The actress is ten years older than that (28).
Old 03-03-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You've done stupider things than burning down your night shelter during a zombie apocalypse?

I've been drunk plenty of times, but that's far stupider than anything I've done while drunk.
Actually I was referring to using a match when they were trying to conserve them.

Banging a girl bareback in a park while married is pretty stupid. You risk: Death, disease, pregnancy, arrest, loss of wife, family, and money.
Old 03-03-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing 18-20.

But she looks much older on the talking dead
Old 03-03-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And regarding other complaints about those watching/complaining, personally I question the stupid things people do in the show, as I would IRL. It doesn't mean I'm not entertained, apart from the stupid actions.
I think that comment had to do with the 'I don't even know why I turn this on anymore' kind of comment.

I watched 24, and bitched about the mountains in Iowa, but I still watched, because I was entertained.
Old 03-03-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I think that comment had to do with the 'I don't even know why I turn this on anymore' kind of comment.

I watched 24, and bitched about the mountains in Iowa, but I still watched, because I was entertained.
In life, there are simply people who are not happy unless they're miserable.

I think that overall, season 4 has been the best season since the first. I appreciate how they have mixed things up between action, character development, and story progression.

Are the characters still doing bone-headed things and making goofy decision? Sure. But with the exception of Rick and Carl not to the point of being annoying.
Old 03-03-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I got 3/4 of the way through this episode and then turned it off out of sheer boredom. I think I'm officially done with this show. It's just the same thing every episode, and I never find myself caring enough about the main characters enough to stick around for the 'shocking' moment when one of them dies.
Old 03-03-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that was a waste of time.
Old 03-03-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
If it's such a terrible show, why is everybody still watching it in its fourth season?
The same reason people watched Lost till the end. Oh wait at least that show although just as lost in writing as this show , it had at least characters people cared about and liked.

And I'm not a zombie fan, I think personally Zombies are stupid, they're slow and boring and no real threat unless you're stupid. I don't care how many or in what they kill them they'll never be interesting to me at all, ever. So yea I don't know why I watch , I guess to catch my weekly train wreck I guess.
Old 03-03-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

That was painful to sit through. I don't mind drama and character development, but it needs to be well written and interesting - this was neither.

Sorry, but if you're young and the first drop of alcohol you touch is moonshine - you're going to cough and have a lot of trouble getting it down.
Old 03-03-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Coral
That was painful to sit through. I don't mind drama and character development, but it needs to be well written and interesting - this was neither.

Sorry, but if you're young and the first drop of alcohol you touch is moonshine - you're going to cough and have a lot of trouble getting it down.
Agree with everything you said. Bummer, I really want this show to be better than it is, and it should be!
Old 03-03-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I was referring to using a match when they were trying to conserve them.

Banging a girl bareback in a park while married is pretty stupid. You risk: Death, disease, pregnancy, arrest, loss of wife, family, and money.
Well, we can certainly agree that nothing makes people do stupider things than sex, especially when already primed with alcohol. Though, I suppose greed might just give those two a run for their money.

Regarding the moonshine, yeah, she really should've coughed on the first sip. I was waiting for it and surprised when it didn't happen. Though cliche in entertainment, it's also pretty accurate.
Old 03-03-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked the episode. A lot. The best of the second half of the season for me. Again, the hate piled on this show is just funny. If I disliked a show as much I would have stopped watching it a long time ago.

Two things:
-Yes, the bolt was cracked before he broke it.
-They were drunk. Moonshine for someone who hadn't ever drank before or not drank in a couple of years would make you do stupid shit.
Agree with all if this. Loved everything about the episode except the music at the end.
Old 03-03-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hmm...

Spoiler:

(spoiled due to a large image, not due to an actual spoiler...be sure to scroll all the way to the right if you have a small monitor)
Merle had bag of blue meth that was shown back in season one or two.
Old 03-03-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always thought a one off alternate universe Breaking Bad / tie in Walking Dead episode with Jesse and Walt emerging from the mobile home after cooking meth into the Zombie Apocalypse would be cool.
Old 03-03-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Coral

Yeah, I mean we're well into season 4 of this show and the episode was about a character trying to find alcohol. Even if you love this show, this episode was objectively terrible.
Old 03-03-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I would be willing to cut the show some more slack if not for the fact that after a couple more episodes they are done for another 6 months. Given that, this was a little too self indulgent.
Old 03-03-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

The writing just feels very amateurish. Last night's episode was like something a high-school kid would write, thinking it was emotionally deep. It actually reminds me of some bad student films I've seen.

And that's leaving out the stupidity of doing the following in a zombie apocalypse:
a) cornering yourselves in a car trunk - that could have easily been a fatal mistake
b) walking into a building full of dead people. It's one thing to clear a house that might have a zombie or three in the bedrooms. It's another thing for two of you to stroll into a country club packed full of bodies, some of which might get up and try to bite you.
c) get drunk in the first place--there's no excuse for that in their situation
d) purposely burn down your shelter in the middle of the night

The contrast to Lost upthread is apt. Even though I started to realize at a certain point that the Lost writers were spinning their wheels plotwise, they could still write character-centric episodes that were really, really good.
Old 03-03-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

A bit strange that they had to use glass and a mirror to start a fire, but then used/wasted a match to start the fire and burn down what should've been their shelter for the night.
They didn't have matches earlier in the episode. Daryl dumped a glass full of matchbooks in his pocket at the country club bar. And he was taking every piece of paper he could find (cash, that thing he pulled out of the frame) as kindling.
Old 03-03-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, good catch, but as I said, if they picked them up at a later point, they should still have the sense not to waste them. Drunkenness explains that, I suppose.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.