Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

I for one would love to see Fallon move away from movie stars as guests in general, they generally just aren't that interesting.
Old 02-28-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2

I for one would love to see Fallon move away from movie stars as guests in general, they generally just aren't that interesting.
I agree. In the old days they could be, but now all they do is regurgitate uninteresting anecdotes that have been scripted and per approved by their publicists. They hardly even talk about their latest movies much.

And again, that's what sets Graham Norton's show (and Craig Ferguson's) apart. They may gave a few notes, but in general they ask the guests whatever they want, publicists be damned.

I don't know how Norton gets the stars he gets. Being in London he's even farther away from L.A. than Fallon is.
Old 02-28-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for the tip on graham norton, I'll start taping him
Old 02-28-14, 08:12 AM
Banned

Graham Norton is a hoot. A week or so ago he had Damon, Murray, & some Brit twit (kidding...the guy was funny; he plays Lord Grantham in Downton Abbey & his name escapes me for the moment). They were guzzling champagne every few minutes & ended up with singer Paloma Faith draped across their laps (and even flipped her over & spanked her). The show seems much more unscripted than the usual talk show & has a lot of fun with the guests.

Damon said that it was the most fun he'd ever had on a talk show, and he was convincing when he said it.

Watched about half of Fallon's opening whatever last night & wasn't at all impressed. The lapsing-into-accents, making mistakes & giggling, voice-overs, etc. just seemed too much SNL...and the jokes fell flat for both my wife and me. Guess we old poops can just live on memories now...
Old 02-28-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I don't know how Norton gets the stars he gets. Being in London he's even farther away from L.A. than Fallon is.
There's not the deluge of 'chat' shows five nights a week, across multiple channels in the UK. They're mostly one night a week and then most don't get the talent the exposure of the BBC allows Norton. I thinks his predecessor Jonathan Ross, get a level or two down on star power over on itv now. Also helps keep the energy level fresher, since Tom Hanks may show every two or three years than say every nine months across three or four talk shows; it's still an event.

If you've got a $150m film to promote overseas, you gotta take what you can get.

That's why you'll see them sometimes cycle large swaths of cast mates in and out of one show -- they come from a press conference or premiere, pop in the BBC studios and pop out. There's a bit more promo hustle overseas, versus the come-to-the-mountain junkets here stateside.

Also Norton's third or four seat tends to be well, BBC regular or say conversation stirrer comedian, like Alan Davies, Jimmy Carr or Lee Mack to pep up guests that may be trapped in the I-don't-know-how-to-be-spontaneous mode. So they're not all A-list.

Last edited by Adboy151; 02-28-14 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-28-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
thanks for the tip on graham norton, I'll start taping him
i believe Norton comes on a one week delay saturdays at 10 on BBC America, or at least thats the way it used to be
Old 03-03-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fallon and Idina Manzel just sang Let It Go with the Roots, hopefully that hits youtube soon
Old 03-03-14, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Fallon and Adele Nazime just sang Let It Go with the Roots, hopefully that hits youtube soon
Fixed her name for you.
Old 03-05-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had no idea Annette Bening was only 55. She looks much older.
Old 03-06-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obey The D
I had no idea Annette Bening was only 55. She looks much older.
being married to Warren Beatty probably adds 10 years
Old 03-06-14, 02:14 PM
Suspended

NBC Allegedly Bullies Jimmy Fallon Guests Into Not Appearing On Other Talk Shows

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon may be crushing it with ratings, but it’s also apparently crushing stars’ hopes of appearing on any other networks’ talk shows.
NBC has been telling celebrities, agents and publicists that guests who want to be on Tonight can’t also go on other talk shows, neither late-night nor in the morning, sources connected to CBS, ABC and NBC told TMZ. Sources said guests who went on Fallon’s show were OK to go on NBC’s Today or Dateline though.
Though it may seem a bit extreme, there’s a reason why stars would oblige: Tonight got 10.4 million viewers in its first week, more than Conan O’Brien or even Jay Leno ever got during their tenures as hosts for The Tonight Show. And the ratings have continued, with Tonight still netting 5.5 million viewers in its second week, far more than the 4 million Leno was averaging earlier this season, the Los Angeles Times reported. He's already had such high-profile guests as Cameron Diaz, Bradley Cooper and Michelle Obama.
Old 03-06-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

It's stupid but don't they all try to do this? NBC has a bigger leg to stand on since the Tonight Show is the most popular but I don't think they're the only ones that tried to pull this move.
Old 03-06-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KTd4hw7mZEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bill Murray is right at home.
Old 03-06-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I wonder if Brian Williams will pick Letterman or Fallon though he did Seth Meyers this week.

I don't think Brian has appeared on the show since Fallon started doing those rap mashups.

If Fallon is young that means I am young too since he is the same age as me

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-YCeIgt7hMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-07-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
NBC Allegedly Bullies Jimmy Fallon Guests Into Not Appearing On Other Talk Shows
Is this alleged anywhere that doesn't descend from TMZ? You know, like TMZ makes something up and a lot of other news sources run with it with TMZ being the single source. Then pretty soon, it's pervasive "news" when it really has only been alleged by 1 original "news" site.

I've seen it said the original article is BS. It did remind me of the original Late Night Wars, though.
Old 03-07-14, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

What is Jimmy Fallon's politics? I hope he isn't another closet liberal who steers his jokes to the republicans more times then not in his monologue. I tuned in the other night and caught his monologue and not one joke on Obama and Russia, but a few jokes on Boehner, McCain and the republicans.

I like my late night hosts to go after BOTH parties equally simply because I despise most politicians who are republican and democrat. If he turns into a Letterman, Maher, or Jon Stewart and steers his jokes always at Republicans (while protecting Obama), then I won't even bother with this show.
Old 03-07-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb
If he turns into a Letterman, Maher, or Jon Stewart and steers his jokes always at Republicans (while protecting Obama), then I won't even bother with this show.
You apparently never watch "The Daily Show."
Old 03-07-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

No kidding.
Old 03-07-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He has done material on the Obamacare website
Old 03-07-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Oh please don't tell me that Jon Stewart rags on Republicans and Democrats equally? No doubt every comedian (including Stewart) will go after both parties, but he is so partisan its so obvious. He had Rachel Maddow on the other night, and it was such a soft-ball interview, whereas when Republican Pundits go on there he is like an attack dog hammering their every answer.

And so you don't have to waste your time responding to me on how objective Jon Stewart is on his show towards politicans (which I hear constantly from Daily Show supporters), we can just agree to disagree.
Old 03-07-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Great comedy always stems from objectivity.
Old 03-07-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Old 03-07-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is Jimmy Fallon's politics? I hope he isn't another closet liberal who steers his jokes to the republicans more times then not in his monologue. I tuned in the other night and caught his monologue and not one joke on Obama and Russia, but a few jokes on Boehner, McCain and the republicans.

I like my late night hosts to go after BOTH parties equally simply because I despise most politicians who are republican and democrat. If he turns into a Letterman, Maher, or Jon Stewart and steers his jokes always at Republicans (while protecting Obama), then I won't even bother with this show.
I recommend you tune into Fox News for REAL comedy.
Old 03-14-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Norman Reedus did Fallon and then Seth Meyers the following week so this plan is working.

Fallon said he is not a Republican or Democrat which goes along with his nice guy persona since he probably does not want to piss anybody off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NCRUHePqyU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-14-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And so you don't have to waste your time responding to me on how objective Jon Stewart is on his show towards politicans (which I hear constantly from Daily Show supporters), we can just agree to disagree.
I didn't say he was objective. He wears his politics on his sleeve. But he doesn't "protect" Obama either. In fact, he's been extremely critical of him on a number of issues.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.