DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618078-tonight-show-starring-jimmy-fallon-discussion-thread.html)

OldBoy 02-17-14 12:56 PM

The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

starts tonight (2/18) on NBC @ 12am following the Olympics and late local news.

looking forward to being able to watch him this week since i am off.

should be fun!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...allon_Logo.jpg

Mike86 02-17-14 01:05 PM

Re: So...Late Night with Jimmy Fallon starts tonight.

I'm curious to see how he'll do. I think one edge he has over Conan is I think he's able to tone his comedy down and is willing to play it a bit safe like Jay did so I could see him doing okay.

Quack 02-17-14 01:15 PM

Re: The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Just started DVRing it...I don't watch him nearly enough as I should. Do we think he'll "grow up" more now that he has this show? I hope not personally.

Shannon Nutt 02-17-14 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12015131)
I'm curious to see how he'll do. I think one edge he has over Conan is I think he's able to tone his comedy down and is willing to play it a bit safe like Jay did so I could see him doing okay.

He'll be like most of the others - start out very strong, but fade about six weeks in.

madcougar 02-17-14 02:21 PM

Haven't watched late night TV in 15 years... not gonna start today. No sure why the subject continues to fascinate me.

GoldenJCJ 02-17-14 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 12015106)
I notice when Fallon does interviews he comes off as very nervous and a bit wimpy and I think he is afraid to take control of the interview.

Not really a big deal though. It's a late night talk show, it's not exactly hard hitting journalism. Celebrities come out joke around a little and talk about their upcoming project. It doesn't really matter if Fallon can take control of an interview or not. The best late night interviews are usually when the host and guest are friends off screen and the conversation veers of topic anyway. Fallon seems to be friends with a lot of celebrities so he can at least bring their fun side out in interviews.

windom 02-17-14 02:53 PM

Thread title is wrong. No show by that title. Can it be fixed?

Shannon Nutt 02-17-14 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12015245)
Not really a big deal though. It's a late night talk show, it's not exactly hard hitting journalism. Celebrities come out joke around a little and talk about their upcoming project. It doesn't really matter if Fallon can take control of an interview or not. The best late night interviews are usually when the host and guest are friends off screen and the conversation veers of topic anyway. Fallon seems to be friends with a lot of celebrities so he can at least bring their fun side out in interviews.

Yeah, I agree with this...Letterman and Arsenio are about the only two people in late night that know how to interview...but, as you noted, it's all moot anyway - all the questions are prepped and have been given to the celeb in advance.

Mike86 02-17-14 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12015269)
Yeah, I agree with this...Letterman and Arsenio are about the only two people in late night that know how to interview...but, as you noted, it's all moot anyway - all the questions are prepped and have been given to the celeb in advance.

Conan is actually a decent interviewer too. If you watch online he does extended interviews now and again with certain people he's good friends with or is interested in and they're much better than the typical fluff interviews that you see on the show. I think a lot of it is just hosts are told to make small talk and promote whatever the celebrity is on for and that's about all.

Rob V 02-17-14 03:22 PM

I'm really looking forward to Fallon on Late Night. I can never catch the 12:30 shows but once in a while I manage to stay awake for the 11:30's.

Rypro 525 02-17-14 03:26 PM

first week's guests

Mo 2/17: Will Smith, U2
Tu 2/18: Jerry Seinfeld, Kristen Wiig, Lady Gaga
We 2/19: Bradley Cooper, Tim McGraw
Th 2/20: Michelle Obama, Will Ferrell, Arcade Fire
Fr 2/21: Justin Timberlake

he def stacked it this first week

d2cheer 02-17-14 03:30 PM

No one will be watching this in a few weeks...

dex14 02-17-14 03:41 PM

I really can't believe that after 3 years on his show he is getting this gig.

Rypro 525 02-17-14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12015325)
i really can't believe that after 3 years on his show he is getting this gig.

One of the bits for this week http://www.thewrap.com/nbc-nightly-n...iams-interview (ie if you hated the stuff on Late Night, you'll probably hate the new show

stvn1974 02-17-14 03:48 PM

You know a joke is going to be funny because he always starts to laugh halfway through it.

dex14 02-17-14 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 12015330)

One of the bits for this week http://www.thewrap.com/nbc-nightly-n...iams-interview (ie if you hated the stuff on Late Night, you'll probably hate the new show

Been that long since he lost 10 pounds in water weight talking to De Niro? Man... time flies...

dex14 02-17-14 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 12015333)
You know a joke is going to be funny because he always starts to laugh halfway through it.

Man do I hate that...

OldBoy 02-17-14 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12015342)
Man do I hate that...

dex can you change title of thread to "...Starring Jimmy Fallon"?

thanks in advance.

OldBoy 02-17-14 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 12015301)
first week's guests

Mo 2/17: Will Smith, U2
Tu 2/18: Jerry Seinfeld, Kristen Wiig, Lady Gaga
We 2/19: Bradley Cooper, Tim McGraw
Th 2/20: Michelle Obama, Will Ferrell, Arcade Fire
Fr 2/21: Justin Timberlake

he def stacked it this first week

that is a nice set of guests. will be DVRing.

mdc3000 02-17-14 04:21 PM

Re: The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

I am looking forward to it - I am most interested to see if it will differ from Fallon's Late Night or will it just be a new set/timeslot. I dvr'd every episode of Late Night for the first 2 years and then just watch it about once/twice a week since then (some of the bits started to get very old/predictable) so I'll probably set up a season pass for this to see if I want to get back into it full time or just watch when a good guest is on.

RichC2 02-17-14 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12015308)
No one will be watching this in a few weeks...

Hell, people inexplicably watched Leno these past few years.

I personally think Fallon is better suited for this than Conan was. Conan is more about the outlandish humor, which is great and I love it, but it doesn't have the broadest of appeal.

Fallon sings with guests, has guests do satirical sketches about current events, etc; so at least it's better suited to Tonight Show material. We'll see how he actually does. It's almost history of rap and lipsync battles versus masturbating bear and triumph the comic insult dog. I prefer the latter, but there is more appeal to the former.

He does have an odd obsession with classroom instruments though.

Charlie Goose 02-17-14 04:58 PM

I don't watch the late night talk shows much, are any hosts actually decent interviewers beyond the planned gags and the movie promotions?

Coladar1 02-17-14 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 12015415)
I don't watch the late night talk shows much, are any hosts actually decent interviewers beyond the planned gags and the movie promotions?

I'll continue my fanboyism from a prior thread and again tout Tom Green's interviewing skills. Letterman is obviously viewed as being a gifted interviewer, although I don't entirely agree. Craig Ferguson is probably the best hands down at interviewing out of all the major late nighters right now.

Shannon Nutt 02-17-14 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Coladar1 (Post 12015446)
I'll continue my fanboyism from a prior thread and again tout Tom Green's interviewing skills. Letterman is obviously viewed as being a gifted interviewer, although I don't entirely agree. Craig Ferguson is probably the best hands down at interviewing out of all the major late nighters right now.

I mentioned this in another thread on Fallon, but Arsenio is quite a good interviewer if he doesn't get too 'star struck' over a guest.

Dr. DVD 02-17-14 05:51 PM

I like that on the night most people would be likely to tune out he is bringing Justin Timberlake. I might stay up for that one.