Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Re: The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Fallon is apparently an insecure, overly-sensitive, moody man-baby who makes staffers lives hell.
Old 09-07-23, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I assumed that was the case for all late night talk show hosts.
Old 09-07-23, 09:19 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

I'm shocked.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Me too. I'm currently reading a biography about Carson, and "moody", "insecure" and "overly sensitive" come up a lot. Same with the books I've read about Letterman. (I was a big fan of both Carson and Letterman but have never liked Fallon)

Old 09-07-23, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Over the years, rumors have circulated that Jimmy Fallon, the host of The Tonight Show, hits the sauce a bit too much on occasion. However, it’s less well-known that Fallon is also allegedly a temperamental individual who frequently berates and belittles his staff, which seems surprising for a late-night personality generally seen as an amiable, over-eager puppy dog.

That’s on Fallon’s “good days,” according to a Rolling Stone profile detailing the toxic culture of The Tonight Show. On his bad days — which, at least one former staffer claims, often occur after a heavy night of drinking — Fallon can be erratic and downright mean. The show has had nine showrunners in nine years, and many of them, unable to say no to Fallon, have enabled, exacerbated, and contributed to a toxic work environment.
So, for whatever reasons, a 48 year old man goes and gets stinking drunk and when he comes to work the next day, he is "erratic" and "mean."

It’s common knowledge behind the scenes that Fallon’s temperament, mood, and treatment of staffers are erratic. Employees say they’ve seen Fallon snap at crew members, express irritation over minor issues, and berate and belittle staffers out of frustration. Three former employees claim that he berated them in front of colleagues and crew members.

“It’s like, if Jimmy’s in a bad mood, everyone’s day is ruined,” one former employee says. “People wouldn’t joke around in the office, and they wouldn’t stand around and talk to each other. It was very much a case of, focus on your work because Jimmy’s in a bad mood and you don’t want to set him off.”

“We’re up against it” was a phrase often used in the office, employees say, to warn one another when Fallon was “not having a good day,” signaling that everyone else was in for a rough one as well.
So, in this workplace, when the boss is having a bad day, he's "mean" to the staff by picking on their mistakes and being difficult to please. He "berates and belittles" his employees. But what specifically is he saying when he is hurling these insults and criticisms? And when the boss is "having a bad day," the employees have to focus on their work and not hang out having a good time.

So just to recap: In this workplace, when the boss is hungover, he's mean. He's overly-critical and sometimes insulting to his employees. Employees have learned that the best thing to do on those days is to stay out of the boss' way and focus on working.

Is this a "toxic" atmosphere where people are being mistreated, or just a description of every job ever?
JeffTheAlpaca (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

It does sound an awful lot like the Larry Sanders Show, but with less stability in show-runners.
Old 09-07-23, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

That sounds like a regular work place to me.

Old 09-07-23, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

It's mainly because it's in stark contrast to the persona he's built up. Plus maybe the bosses in your office shouldn't be hungover as often as they are? I don't think I've been in a workplace where my boss was surly because he'd been out drinking regularly.
Old 09-07-23, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I suppose, his persona has always been criticized as coming off as fake so those folks were correct. I do agree the hangovers are super unprofessional.
Old 09-07-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not any I've ever worked at. I run a company currently and I can guarantee none of my employees would say they had to avoid eye contact with me so I didn't berate them or fire them.
Giantrobo (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yes, I've worked at many different places, with all different types of bad bosses, but I never had any bosses that acted like that. If you think that's normal behavior, then I feel sorry for you.
Old 09-07-23, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't see the line on eye contact, yeah that didn't happen. The berating, snapping, and childish arguments are common though.
Old 09-07-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yes, I've worked at many different places, with all different types of bad bosses, but I never had any bosses that acted like that. If you think that's normal behavior, then I feel sorry for you.
This. I've never had a boss like that ever. It is not normal, it is not professional, and shouldn't be accepted.
Old 09-07-23, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Everything I've read and heard about Colbert is that he's a real nice guy. Same with Conan O'Brien. You don't have to dig too far to find asshole stories about James Corden or Jimmy Fallon.
cultshock (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Not any I've ever worked at. I run a company currently and I can guarantee none of my employees would say they had to avoid eye contact with me so I didn't berate them or fire them.
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Originally Posted by cultshock
This. I've never had a boss like that ever. It is not normal, it is not professional, and shouldn't be accepted.
Thank You! I don't bring my personal shit to work and shit it on my Employees. Making it seem like it's "ok" is truly disturbing.
Old 09-07-23, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
So just to recap: In this workplace, when the boss is hungover, he's mean. He's overly-critical and sometimes insulting to his employees. Employees have learned that the best thing to do on those days is to stay out of the boss' way and focus on working.

Is this a "toxic" atmosphere where people are being mistreated, or just a description of every job ever?
Originally Posted by cultshock
Whenever I hear these horror stories about Hollywood bosses being awful to the people under them, it's really not different from dozens of experiences the people know IRL have. Supervisors that have them in tears. Bosses trying to make the people under them so miserable that they quit so they can hire one of their friends to fill the position. Every nurse I've know has been treated like absolute shit by their nurse supervisors and their administrators -- and that nurse supervisor is likewise treated like shit by their boss. My wife was treated so badly in her first job (in finance) that she would come home nearly every night crying.
Old 09-07-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Thank You! I don't bring my personal shit to work and shit it on my Employees. Making it seem like it's "ok" is truly disturbing.
And, no, it isn't okay, but it isn't something that is unique to Hollywood and it happens all the time to people not on the entertainment industry. Nurses. Waitstaff. Salespeople. Amazon warehouse workers. Cable installers.

Old 09-07-23, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Everything I've read and heard about Colbert is that he's a real nice guy. Same with Conan O'Brien. You don't have to dig too far to find asshole stories about James Corden or Jimmy Fallon.
A co-worker's son was college roommates with Colbert's son. She said he came over and cleaned their apartment himself when they were moving out. Not just hired a cleaning crew, he showed up with cleaning supplies and did the work himself.
The following 2 users liked this post by majorjoe23:
story (09-07-23), Toby Dramit (09-08-23)
Old 09-07-23, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And, no, it isn't okay, but it isn't something that is unique to Hollywood and it happens all the time to people not on the entertainment industry. Nurses. Waitstaff. Salespeople. Amazon warehouse workers. Cable installers.
Death isn't something that is unique to Hollywood and it happens all the time to people not in the entertainment industry so why is there a thread anytime anyone dies that was ever in the entertainment industry. This is a thread about Jimmy Fallon and finding out he is a toxic boss is relevant to the thread it doesn't matter if there are toxic bosses in other fields or not.
Giantrobo (09-08-23)
Old 09-07-23, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Fallon apologized to his staff

https://deadline.com/2023/09/jimmy-f...rt-1235539929/
Old 09-07-23, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I assume most of the erratic behavior happened a while back when he was drinking and he probably stopped

He is a born in 1974 brother like me so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and they had multiple showrunners so maybe it was more them then it was him.

I bet Lorne Michaels probably treated people worse but we don't hear about it.
Old 09-07-23, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

I lost all respect for Fallon when I learned he (and Tina Fey, among others) looked the other way when Horatio Sanz was sexually assaulting underage girls around them.
Old 09-07-23, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Anthony Jeselnik on Writing for Jimmy Fallon, Comments on His Drinking | Joe Rogan - (April 29, 2019)

Old 09-07-23, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jerry Seinfeld has come out and stated that the story involving him was all BS, none of it happened the way it has been reported.
Old 09-07-23, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I lost all respect for Fallon when I learned he (and Tina Fey, among others) looked the other way when Horatio Sanz was sexually assaulting underage girls around them.
That wholesome and innocent teenage girl who was regularly attending SNL's famous drunken after-parties that go from bar to bar until sun-up Sunday morning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.