Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else think the Talking Dead is just a bit too Creepy Self Indulgent ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does anyone else think the Talking Dead is just a bit too Creepy Self Indulgent ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 06:19 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I watch the Walking Dead. I rarely watch the Talking dead

I can't think of any other show in history which had a dedicated chat show to it's every episode

It's like AMC are saying "we have only one good show on our channel, let's milk the living fuck out of it"

I know fans of the show appreciate Talking Dead but is this really a trend we want to encourage ?

Reality TV has given networks the excuse to put cheaply made crap on our TV channels and remember every reality show is taking the place of a real tv show

Now if we have shows talking about episodes of another show, that's an even cheaper option for networks

What's next ?

How to Talk about your Mother

It's always Talky in Philipedia
Old 12-30-13, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Does anyone else think the Talking Dead is just a bit too Creepy Self Indulgent ?

Old 12-30-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Does anyone else think the Talking Dead is just a bit too Creepy Self Indulgent ?

I think for a show you truly love it is pretty cool. I think a Talking GOT show for example would be all types of awesome.
Old 12-30-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I would've loved a "The Talking Slayer" back in the day.
Old 12-30-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yes. I get the concept. But I don't like the show at all.

My main problem, is that I watched a few episodes, and don't recall any "in depth" info.
Old 12-30-13, 07:18 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes but remember for every show you may like, others may hate

So how frustrating would it be to have to navigate say 10 of these kind of chat shows per week for tv shows you don't watch

I would say if you want to do the chat show, put the fucker online and those hardcore nuthuggers can watch it online, kind of like Anarchy Afterwards.
Old 12-30-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The Walking Dead isn't a show with the depth to require any extra discussion.
Old 12-30-13, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Walking Dead, I never bother with Talking Dead.
Old 12-30-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Yes but remember for every show you may like, others may hate

So how frustrating would it be to have to navigate say 10 of these kind of chat shows per week for tv shows you don't watch

I would say if you want to do the chat show, put the fucker online and those hardcore nuthuggers can watch it online, kind of like Anarchy Afterwards.
There are hundreds of shows on tv that I have no interest in and I don't have any trouble navigating around them. I watch/record what I want to and that's that. I can't see how some aftershows would affect anyone with the number of television shows out there. If anything, there's too much to watch.
Old 12-30-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
The Walking Dead isn't a show with the depth to require any extra discussion.
exactly
i would have loved Talking Brady back in the day
Old 12-30-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I watch Walking Dead, and always skip Talking Dead. I also skip all webisodes, web sync crap, black and white episodes, web game, etc.

I don't have time for all that!
Old 12-30-13, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

remember every reality show is taking the place of a real tv show
No, it's really not. If AMC didn't air Talking Dead they would fill the space with another commercial riddled movie.
Old 12-30-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

MTV is adding a show after Teen Wolf as well.
Old 12-30-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was perplexed when the credits rolled at the 15 minute mark during the 30-minute pilot of Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories on Adult Swim. I kept watching and realized that they were devoting the second half to a spot-on critique of AMC's "Talking" aftershow programming. Worth checking out if you see these shows as a ridiculous case of excess and self-congratulation.
Old 12-30-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never watched Talking Dead (or Talking Bad, or the Dr Who Talking show) because the spots always put me off, but I like this sort of thing in podcast form. I just like it better from unofficial sources, since there isn't really a conflict of interest resulting in the hosts feeling forced to say something is awesome when maybe they think it isn't. I'm assuming this has been the case in the past, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-30-13, 09:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I never watch them either. Id rather just read people's opinions on this forum over say Marilyn Manson.
Old 12-30-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

What's next ?

How to Talk about your Mother
Actually, "How I Met Your Mother" has an official podcast.
Old 12-30-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastblade
I like Walking Dead, I never bother with Talking Dead.
Me either. It seems made for the "the show should be nothing but zombies getting disemboweled for an hour straight, character development is for pussies" crowd.

And Chris Hardwick is a nozzle.
Old 12-30-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
No, it's really not. If AMC didn't air Talking Dead they would fill the space with another commercial riddled movie.
As opposed to the commercial-ridden walking dead? At least they didn't have a childish squabble with a content provider this time around, so we got a whole half-season free of passive-aggressive bumpers.
Old 12-30-13, 10:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I've never watched Talking Dead (or Talking Bad, or the Dr Who Talking show) because the spots always put me off, but I like this sort of thing in podcast form. I just like it better from unofficial sources, since there isn't really a conflict of interest resulting in the hosts feeling forced to say something is awesome when maybe they think it isn't. I'm assuming this has been the case in the past, but I could be wrong.
If by Doctor Who talking show you mean the Doctors Revisited that aired on BBC America, those were retrospective "I Love The '80s" style chat shows, not the immediate "let's talk about what we've just seen" style shows like Talking Dead.

Now, if you mean Doctor Who Confidential (RIP), those were actually legit behind the scenes shows, with footage of the production, and IMO were way more interesting than Talking Dead.
Old 12-30-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

MTV does do an occasional aftershow for The Real World and The Challenge, but at least those actually have the reality "stars" talking about actual events that happened. It bugs me on The Talking Dead how they will always question their guests about what so and so character was thinking. "What is Rick thinking?" "How does Carol feel?" "What made Lori do that?" They act like these characters are real people and real events are taking place. I'd rather if they critiqued the writing on the show and discuss why characters are written the way they are and written to do what they do. Also, you'll probably never see any negative criticism of TWD on the show.

I have to say that if you saw the pre-show on BBC America for the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special, you'll appreciate Chris Hadwick as a host. He does make the show watchable. At least he doesn't have his sidekicks from The Nerdist show on.
Old 12-31-13, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I watched it once, and it was just a little too much "OMFG, DID YOU SEE THAT?!?" for me.
Old 12-31-13, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I watched the first few and have passed ever since. What pisses me off is information (typically clarification of an ambiguous or poorly done plot point) that is revealed there rather than being done properly on the actual show.
Old 12-31-13, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I usually put it on and don't take it too seriously, so it rarely causes me angst or discomfort. Sometimes the guests they get are interesting. They did the same thing the last half season of Breaking Bad.
Old 12-31-13, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I was perplexed when the credits rolled at the 15 minute mark during the 30-minute pilot of Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories on Adult Swim. I kept watching and realized that they were devoting the second half to a spot-on critique of AMC's "Talking" aftershow programming. Worth checking out if you see these shows as a ridiculous case of excess and self-congratulation.
I never heard of this, just watched and was hilarious. Tim and Eric are slowly growing on me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.