Old 03-02-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Id be you"

Damn. Great ep.
Old 03-02-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compared to Andre Braugher's "in the box" sessions on Homicide, this SVU episode was pretty lightweight stuff. Modine was great, but could have done so much more with a better script.
Old 03-03-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that it was great as well, but the whole Elliott rage thing is wearing thin.

A big to Entertainment Weekly for putting Hargitay and Meloni on the cover. I never ever ever thought that this show would make the cover of EW, but I am thrilled that it did. Hargitay looks amazing (and nonplastic-like, unlike a certain CSI star on TV Guide)
Old 03-04-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great concept, great performances, flawed writing, flawed execution. Overall a solid episode that could have been much more.

das
Old 03-06-05, 10:54 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Do you think Modine will get an Emmy nom for this one?

I do.

Great episode.
Old 03-07-05, 01:50 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I thought that it was great as well, but the whole Elliott rage thing is wearing thin.
I agree
Old 03-08-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by The Exister
Compared to Andre Braugher's "in the box" sessions on Homicide, this SVU episode was pretty lightweight stuff. Modine was great, but could have done so much more with a better script.

I thought the same exact thing throughout the interrogation. That one was so much better. I think it was a little gimmicky for SVU to try this. The show has been fantastic this season, but this episode didn't do much for me. I'm sure that Modine will pick up a nom for it though.
Old 03-09-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Martin Short on Law & Order:SVU 3/8/05

Anybody else watch this? I thought it was okay, but it reminded me of a very similar, but much better movie Man on A Swing.

I kept waiting for him to break out into his Ed Grimley dance.
Old 03-09-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

I thought he did a very good job. Very good episode, although I can't say I really like what they are doing with Elliott's character.

I liked the ripped-from-the-headlines selling virginity over the net angle.
Old 03-09-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I thought he did a very good job. Very good episode, although I can't say I really like what they are doing with Elliott's character.

I liked the ripped-from-the-headlines selling virginity over the net angle.

Yeah, I think he was great. I was actually excited watching the show to see what happened. I, too, don't like what they're doing with Elliott's character. I'd guess he wants to leave soon and they're setting something up. Why they need to beat it into the ground is beyond me. A few hints would have done it, but it feels like they have to make that same point about his temper/rage/family issues each week.
Old 03-09-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I'd guess he wants to leave soon and they're setting something up. Why they need to beat it into the ground is beyond me. A few hints would have done it, but it feels like they have to make that same point about his temper/rage/family issues each week.

Yeah, I don't see why they can't just have him quit out of the blue and then drop a bomb on Captain Kragen by saying he likes to suck cock.
Old 03-09-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First time I ever watched SVU because I wanted to see Martin Short. I thought he did a great job too, unfortunately the episode just confirmed why I don't give very many cop shows a chance. It seemed pretty obvious where this one was headed just about every step of the way.

One example that sticks out was when they found the nun. (Couldn't they get Rita Moreno? They have everyone else from Oz ) When she comes to she says, "You have to save the baby!" My first thought was that the baby the suspects had was kidnapped, but the cops don't have the slightest clue what baby she's talking about. There were several scenes like that. I really like the cast, it's just too bad the characters are so dim.
Old 03-09-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
The only problem I had with this particular episode is that Martin Short's character had information about his former identity in his computer and the police found it. Let me get this straight, you flee a country, and create a new identity, but you keep a reference to it in your computer.

Even that's a bit far fetched for this show. Other than that, continued strong performances and good to see BD Wong back.
Old 03-09-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I enjoyed the episode and I am NOT a Martin Short fan. I think he was very good in this episode i.e. psychotic but very controlled not over the top performance like I would expect from Short. The only problem I have with this show is that 95% of the when they bring in a guest star, s/he will turn out to be the ultimate perpetrator (because I guess the stars want the most line or the juicest parts). That really spoils the who done it part for the show as you can really guess in the first 20 minutes of the show if there is a guest star.
Anyway, good episode and I like the dig at online auctions
Old 03-09-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Roto
One example that sticks out was when they found the nun. (Couldn't they get Rita Moreno? They have everyone else from Oz )
I was thinking the same thing. I kept waiting for Kellerman Elliott to start yelling "Sister Pete" when they were cutting open the shipping container.

I also liked Martin Short in this, and I'm glad I went with SVU last night over the new blind cop show.
Old 03-09-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure you can watch any random episode of the new blind cop show without having to worry about missing out on any ongoing story, just like Law & Order
Old 03-09-05, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I, too, don't like what they're doing with Elliott's character. I'd guess he wants to leave soon and they're setting something up. Why they need to beat it into the ground is beyond me. A few hints would have done it, but it feels like they have to make that same point about his temper/rage/family issues each week.
Apparently, real-life SVU cops burn out after around five years because of how intensely draining and emotionally scarring their line of work is. How long has SVU been on the air?

It'll be too bad if he leaves. This isn't the original L&O, where characters only exist to serve the plot and can be replaced.

Maybe Detective Logan can go from New York homicide to walking a Staten Island beat to major cases to SVU.
Old 03-09-05, 01:45 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally felt the show tried to cram so much story line into a 42 minutes max air time. A story of this length, should be made into a movie for say 90 minutes. An episode of L&O just felt really crammed.
Old 03-09-05, 07:43 PM
Retired

Great episode. Short was fantastic.

This is quickly becoming my favorite show as it keeps getting better and Lost keeps spinning it's wheels.
Old 03-09-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I enjoyed the episode and I am NOT a Martin Short fan. I think he was very good in this episode i.e. psychotic but very controlled not over the top performance like I would expect from Short. The only problem I have with this show is that 95% of the when they bring in a guest star, s/he will turn out to be the ultimate perpetrator (because I guess the stars want the most line or the juicest parts). That really spoils the who done it part for the show as you can really guess in the first 20 minutes of the show if there is a guest star.
Anyway, good episode and I like the dig at online auctions
This is almost exactly what I was going to post. The first 20 minutes I was down on this as it was obvious who dunnit, but a great performance by Short, whom I really don't like, saved the episode.
Old 03-10-05, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At first I thought that there would be no way that Short would be the killer, since it would be way too obvious that a psychic would be able to tell about the crime having committed it. That was before the episode aired.

I can't stand Short (I posted this is a recent Arrested Development thread as well) but this time, unlike AR, he didn't ruin the show. He was very creepy, but he was overacting, IMO.
Old 03-10-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm no Short fan, but I thought he did a pretty darn good job in this episode.

I'm sick of the Elliott anger angle, though.
Old 04-05-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

law and order - svu - 4/5/05

what in gods name?

was this a repeat? how on earth do you end a law and order with "we find the defendant"

GUILTY? NOT GUILTY?

i saw no signs of a continuation.

i'm mad.
Old 04-05-05, 10:19 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
This episode originally aired back in November... here's the thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397343
Old 04-06-05, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did we ever find out if he was voted guilty or "innocent"?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.