TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Blood Money" -- 8/11/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,179 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Blood Money" -- 8/11/13

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
So does anyone want to speculate on how the house gets to be that way?

Clearly it didn't sell. It must have been abandoned and unsellable, but why? Murder in the house?

And why was Carol so shocked to see Walt? Was he supposed to be dead? Maybe it was his "murder" in the house, perhaps the whole family was "murdered" to put them under witness protection?
Yeah it seems like there must be something major that happens at the home at some point this season. I almost have to think someone is murdered there. Otherwise I don't see why the home would necessarily be blocked off the way it is as it's not as though Walt was cooking the meth on the property and the police or whomever would probably have investigated the home.
Old 08-12-13, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never seen a house fenced off and seized by the city over a murder. They usually put up police tape and call it a day. They certainly wouldn't have all of the furnishings removed.
Old 08-12-13, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 08-12-13, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 621 Likes on 447 Posts

The house was ransacked and pillaged.
Old 08-12-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so working theory:

Walt's family dies. Walt fakes his own death in whatever it was (thus neighbor looking like she saw a ghost) so that he could avenge the killing. That would tend to suggest to me that he's back to get the ricin to administer it to perhaps an as yet unnamed character.

Cooking up a batch of meth gone wrong somehow (but not flammible clearly) would mostly keep people out of the house and cover up at least some sins. Maybe Walt made it look like he died in a fire somehow in a room we didn't see and had to asphyxiate some portion of his family to sell it.
Old 08-12-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
So does anyone want to speculate on how the house gets to be that way?

Clearly it didn't sell. It must have been abandoned and unsellable, but why? Murder in the house?

And why was Carol so shocked to see Walt? Was he supposed to be dead? Maybe it was his "murder" in the house, perhaps the whole family was "murdered" to put them under witness protection?
Originally Posted by My Other Self
I'm sure the news about Walt eventually became public and since Heisenberg's real identity was most likely revealed, it became nothing short of legend among teens.
I was just going to post the same response. Walt has probably been all over the news at this point. Carol nearly shits her pants at the sight of this monster, while all kids are treating him as their own hometown Scarface. Good or bad, he's become a local legend.
Old 08-12-13, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
I was just going to post the same response. Walt has probably been all over the news at this point. Carol nearly shits her pants at the sight of this monster, while all kids are treating him as their own hometown Scarface. Good or bad, he's become a local legend.
That didn't read like monster to me. It read like ghost.
Old 08-12-13, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never seen a house fenced off and seized by the city over a murder. They usually put up police tape and call it a day. They certainly wouldn't have all of the furnishings removed.
Good point.

However the house certainly looks "condemned" and it's not like it was a meth house and uninhabitable, because we know Walt never cooked there....at least thus far. Obviously something heavy definitely went down at the residence.
Old 08-12-13, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 159 Posts

I think they established that Walt has more than Hank to worry about this year. Lydia's visit surely means there will be ramifications there. Both Laura Fraser and Lance were made series regulars this (half) year so one would assume we'll be seeing some more of them.
Old 08-12-13, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Walt has to be presumed dead because otherwise if Carol saw him and he was wanted you'd have to think there would be so much law enforcement there quickly that he'd totally just synthesize new ricin (I hear it's not that terribly hard). He certainly wouldn't be able to let her live.
Old 08-12-13, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Okay so working theory:

Walt's family dies. Walt fakes his own death in whatever it was (thus neighbor looking like she saw a ghost) so that he could avenge the killing. That would tend to suggest to me that he's back to get the ricin to administer it to perhaps an as yet unnamed character.

Cooking up a batch of meth gone wrong somehow (but not flammible clearly) would mostly keep people out of the house and cover up at least some sins. Maybe Walt made it look like he died in a fire somehow in a room we didn't see and had to asphyxiate some portion of his family to sell it.
Walt being on the run by faking his death would make sense. The only thing I would question is if that happened I don't see how he could have made it look like he perished without a body.

Good point but I also don't see why the house would have been condemned and seized by the city when nothing that we know of yet actually happened in the home. Unless like someone else mentioned maybe he cooks a batch or is forced to by Lydia or someone working with her and it's done in the home.
Old 08-12-13, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Walt being on the run by faking his death would make sense. The only thing I would question is if that happened I don't see how he could have made it look like he perished without a body.
Think Jesse's charred body could pass for Walt? Saul's?

ETA: An accident while cooking meth the "shake and bake" method very well might make a dental ID impossible, and it might even compromise DNA if you know what you're doing?
Old 08-12-13, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That didn't read like monster to me. It read like ghost.
I think Walt has to be presumed dead because otherwise if Carol saw him and he was wanted you'd have to think there would be so much law enforcement there quickly that he'd totally just synthesize new ricin (I hear it's not that terribly hard). He certainly wouldn't be able to let her live.
Watch it again. She was scared as hell.

I don't think Walt is worried about being caught at that point. He's about to enter his final act (trunk full of guns, pocket full of ricin) and he knows it.
Old 08-12-13, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh I know she was scared. I don't think that's the part that's diagnostic. It's that she didn't run away and call police. She stared, gawked, and looked to me like she saw someone she strongly believed was dead.
Old 08-12-13, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Think Jesse's charred body could pass for Walt? Saul's?

ETA: An accident while cooking meth the "shake and bake" method very well might make a dental ID impossible, and it might even compromise DNA if you know what you're doing?
Maybe Walt is forced to cook a batch in his home by Lydia or someone who's working with her so they can learn his "recipe" so that the meth that they're cooking can be more chemically pure. An accident occurs or Walt does something to try and take the people out who are holding him and he's believed to have perished during this event. This could also make sense as to why the home is condemned and fenced off.
Old 08-12-13, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe Walt is forced to cook a batch in his home by Lydia or someone who's working with her so they can learn his "recipe" so that the meth that they're cooking can be more chemically pure. An accident occurs or Walt does something to try and take the people out who are holding him and he's believed to have perished during this event. This could also make sense as to why the home is condemned and fenced off.
While that's not outside the realm of the possible, I'd think the issue would be like in times past where they would need him at an advanced lab to get the purity to where they wanted it.

An in home cook looks much more like non-corporate meth than anything Lydia would be involved in (at this stage). That would be my slight skepticism to that theory, though it is admittedly somewhat plausible (particularly if Walt talked her into hey I can show you what you're doing wrong).
Old 08-12-13, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I saw it as her frozen in terror out of fear for her life. I thought the reason they showed the 2 scenes with him and Carol interacting was to show how someone that wasn't directly affected by this storyline reacted to finding out the truth behind someone she thought she once knew. Happy, friendly "Hello neighbor" to scared as hell at this monster I've been living next to all these years. It's the whole "he was the nicest man, I couldn't imagine him doing all these horrible things" that we always hear in the news after some crime.

But we'll have the answer soon enough (unfortunately).
Old 08-12-13, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While that's not outside the realm of the possible, I'd think the issue would be like in times past where they would need him at an advanced lab to get the purity to where they wanted it.

An in home cook looks much more like non-corporate meth than anything Lydia would be involved in (at this stage). That would be my slight skepticism to that theory, though it is admittedly somewhat plausible (particularly if Walt talked her into hey I can show you what you're doing wrong).
If you think of it though, weren't the cooks done in the RV pretty chemically pure? I can't remember what the percentage was but I remember in the first season where Hank says the meth they turned up was the most chemically pure stuff out there and that the guys in their own lab would have difficulty replicating it. I think if Walt can cook a batch like that in an RV he could do it in his home with the right equipment. Besides I don't think she necessarily said how pure she wanted it, she just made it seem like the quality was noticeably not as good as when Walt and Jesse were cooking it and that she wanted (or is being pressured) to get a better product out there again.
Old 08-12-13, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

I loved the "paper route" scene (as I call it) with Jesse in the car during the second half of the episode. He didn't have much to say in this episode, but he was great.
Old 08-12-13, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that we've finally seen the Walt/Hank confrontation, the next huge moment I can't wait for is Walt telling Jesse that he watched Jane die. It has to happen at some point.
Old 08-12-13, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,782 Likes on 2,711 Posts

That will be epic when it does happen.
Old 08-12-13, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't think Walt will be revealing that to Jesse. He'll probably keep that secret forever.
Old 08-12-13, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I don't think Walt will be revealing that to Jesse. He'll probably keep that secret forever.
I agree. No way he tells Jesse that, IMO.
Old 08-12-13, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Besides I don't think she necessarily said how pure she wanted it, she just made it seem like the quality was noticeably not as good as when Walt and Jesse were cooking it and that she wanted (or is being pressured) to get a better product out there again.
The purity sounded in the same range as Declan's before he took over distribution of the blue meth. Since Walt gave up the business, I would assume he ended up selling off the remaining methlamene to Declan to continue his business and they are the ones now supplying Lydia's buyers with their own cook (once again dyed blue to look like the real stuff).
Originally Posted by dino88
Now that we've finally seen the Walt/Hank confrontation, the next huge moment I can't wait for is Walt telling Jesse that he watched Jane die. It has to happen at some point.
I can't see that happening. Now that Walt knows Hank has found out, I think he's done soul searching and trying to dig up forgiveness for the past. At this point, he just moves forward. Hell, he just lied to Jesse's face about Mike's death.

The closest we'll get to him apologizing to Jesse or even discussing her death was in the episode everybody but me hates, Season 3's "Fly".
Old 08-12-13, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Plus why would he reveal the truth about Jane, yet present that fairy tale to Jesse about Mike living happily ever after? Walt already knows Jesse is on the edge, pushing him off would not be a good idea.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.