Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Blood Money" -- 8/11/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-13, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Blood Money" -- 8/11/13

I love the little things in this show. When Hank goes into the bathroom at the end of 5A, Squeeze's "Up the Junction" is playing. At the start of this episode, you can hear "If I Didn't Love You."

Assuming it wasn't a playlist or the songs were shuffled and they were playing Singles: 45's and Under, he was in there for about 11 or so minutes staring at the book.
Old 08-11-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

definately not enough time to change the hinges on the door
Old 08-11-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn that was good... Only 7 more episodes
Old 08-11-13, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
To me that's the great unresolved question of the show: is Heisenberg a defense mechanism or the true man who is covered by a thin veneer of Walter White?
I've always felt that Heisenberg is a role that Walt has played, being the badass he has always wanted to be. But Walter White will always be a sniveling little coward. If Hank had arrested him right then and there, I think Walt would have quickly reverted back to "But Hank! My CANCER!!!" mode.
Old 08-11-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson

Also loved Walt channeling Gus as the clerk at the car wash.
and placing the towel down before throwing up
Old 08-11-13, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
Good catch
Old 08-11-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love it!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Great opener. The first scene with the White's home all trashed was just an "oh shit" moment for me. I really wonder what all goes down that leads to that. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. I wonder who exactly the ricin is intended for and why he chose to go back for that when he has a trunk loaded with heavy weaponry. Unless he uses it on himself but I dunno.

Also have to say I didn't expect the confrontation between Hank and Walt to happen in the first episode but I guess it makes sense that they want to get that on the table right away with only seven more to go. When Hank closed the garage door it was obvious shit was going to go down but it was still crazy to see it.

I still feel bad for Jesse as even though he's not the most upstanding citizen at this point he really doesn't deserve all the shit he's been through and Walt has essentially destroyed his life (along with the lives of so many others). I really hate to say it but I don't see things ending well for his character at all even though I don't want it to be true.

This season is going to be one hell of a ride. I'm going to miss this series when it's done.
Old 08-12-13, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Loved that the present scenes took place shortly after Hank's dump

Liked the flash forward scene with the neighbor freaking out seeing Walt.

The Hank vs Walt confrontation was so intense. Great intensity by Dean Norris. Just couldn't hold it in any longer. Great directing by Cranston.

Only 7 more to go.
Old 08-12-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Wouldn't arresting Walt be bad for Hank, the way he got duped and all?
Doesn't really have any evidence to go on anyhow.
Old 08-12-13, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
Right!

Very much in Gus mode.
Old 08-12-13, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great episode, though I don't know how I feel about the flash forward. It removes a lot of the tension of knowing whether Walt is going to be free for a while, though I guess we all should know that anyway. This ain't Law & Order.

I was also distracted by Hank's awfully spotty whiskers in the final scene. Either the actor can't grow a beard, or the makeup department did a pretty poor job. He had some whiskers that were like a 1/3rd of an inch long, then spots that were completely bare. Damn you HD!
Old 08-12-13, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Skilar was such a bitch.
Old 08-12-13, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

The Hank vs Walt confrontation was so intense. Great intensity by Dean Norris. Just couldn't hold it in any longer. Great directing by Cranston.

Norris was utterly brilliant in that end sequence.

"If you don't know who I am then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly".

One of the greatest lines in television history.
Old 08-12-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i predict it now, highest ratings ever for an AMC show...
Considering the last season of The Walking Dead was the highest rated scripted show from last year, I'd say your prediction will be wrong. Although BB certainly musters up better ratings than during the first couple of seasons, it doesn't come close to TWD's absurd number.

Absolutely loved everything about the episode. I wasn't expecting the showdown to finally happen so soon in Hank's garage. The flash forward was interesting, but I noticed the sign on the fence said it was closed off by the City of Albuquerque. I would've thought the DEA would've seized the house, but perhaps Hank doesn't go forward with his case on the Federal level and just takes it in to his own hands for all of the suffering Walt has put him through over the past year.

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
"If you don't know who I am then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly".

Walt manages to come up with some lightly sinister snappy lines.

Season 4 was "I am the danger." and Season 5 had "I'm in the empire business". Talk about transformation in a matter of 12 months.
Old 08-12-13, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Your hyperbole is giving me cancer.
Old 08-12-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow, like you all said, they are wasting NO time. I love it.
Old 08-12-13, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Your hyperbole is giving me cancer.

That aint hyperbole. Sorry about the cancer.
Old 08-12-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Like everyone else, didn't expect the Walt/Hank confrontation this early. Very well executed.

Also loved Walt channeling Gus as the clerk at the car wash.

Lastly, small continuity error but when Hank goes to the bathroom at the end of 5A, the bathroom door opens the opposite way of when he walks out of the bathroom in the opening episode of 5B.
Actually, it's not a continuity error. In the end of 5A, we're looking in the mirror when we see Hank entering the bathroom. Look at the button the pocket of his shirt. When he's facing out of the bathroom, it's on the same side of his shirt as the hinges in both episodes.

Great opener for the final 8! Dean Norris was fantastic in this episode. Bryan Cranston, too.

I was also hoping that it would start where it left off, and was briefly disappointed until I remembered that the show usually starts with a clip from the future.

Yeah, not looking too promising for Jesse. I really hope it works out, somehow.
Old 08-12-13, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

One thing I was thinking that could happen with Jesse if the writers decide to not kill him. He's still feeling guilty about the murder of Drew (the kid from last season that Todd shot) and obviously doesn't care about the money or anything else anymore. Maybe he'll find out about Hank knowing about Walt and will decide to turn himself over as an accomplice to Walt and will confess to the meth cooking and knowing what happened to the kid. This could give Hank what he needs as at this point he took the Whitman Leaves of Grass book from Walt's home without a warrant so it can't be used in court.
Old 08-12-13, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
One thing I was thinking that could happen with Jesse if the writers decide to not kill him. He's still feeling guilty about the murder of Drew (the kid from last season that Todd shot) and obviously doesn't care about the money or anything else anymore. Maybe he'll find out about Hank knowing about Walt and will decide to turn himself over as an accomplice to Walt and will confess to the meth cooking and knowing what happened to the kid. This could give Hank what he needs as at this point he took the Whitman Leaves of Grass book from Walt's home without a warrant so it can't be used in court.
It would be very weak evidence in court at any rate. The problem is Hank is now looking in WW's direction.
Old 08-12-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't foresee a courtroom at any point in the remaining 7 episodes. We still have a couple of months between now and when Walt eventually goes to New Hampshire then comes back in what is presumably the finale for some sort of final showdown with whoever.

I would think Hank couldn't present this to his superiors since he was just promoted to ASAC of the DEA's Albuquerque Division. His career would go down the toilet, not to mention all of the thoughts that he was conspiring with Walt or something since this had be going on right under his nose for the better part of a year.
Old 08-12-13, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So does anyone want to speculate on how the house gets to be that way?

Clearly it didn't sell. It must have been abandoned and unsellable, but why? Murder in the house?

And why was Carol so shocked to see Walt? Was he supposed to be dead? Maybe it was his "murder" in the house, perhaps the whole family was "murdered" to put them under witness protection?
Old 08-12-13, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

also glad to see the cul-du-sac neighbor kid got a new RC car after Marie ran his other one over
Old 08-12-13, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So does anyone want to speculate on how the house gets to be that way?

Clearly it didn't sell. It must have been abandoned and unsellable - but why? Murder in the house?

And why was Carol so shocked to see Walt? Was he supposed to be dead? Maybe it was his "murder" in the house- maybe the whole family was "murdered" to out them under witness protection?
I doubt murder. The house was cleared out, then most likely vandalized after. I doubt Heisenberg was written in such an amateur way by other people in the drug trade. It came off more as some kid sprayed it. I'm sure the news about Walt eventually became public and since Heisenberg's real identity was most likely revealed, it became nothing short of legend among teens.

The house looks more like the remnants of urban exploration. Like I said above, the house being fenced off had a sign indicating it was property of the City of Albuquerque now which leads me to believe they had seized it. Perhaps they're the ones who took the house over since they were the ones investigating Gayle's murder and then tied it back to Walt. That could've led to an investigation to his finances if the murder motive was behind drug money or something. I dunno how grounded in reality the legality of any of that stuff is but it's fun to speculate.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.