Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community - "Alternative History of the German Invasion" -- 02/28/2013

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Community - "Alternative History of the German Invasion" -- 02/28/2013

The lack of Nick Kroll bothered me as well. I liked the flashbacks, but overall I thought the episode was just average.
Old 03-01-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
They have a guest star play the teacher every season! I think people need to stop over-analyzing this show and just watch it.
I know they have a guest star play the teacher in every season. My point was why have Malcom McDowell play the teacher if he's not going to do ANYTHING? Again, I assume he's recurring and will do more later, but in this episode it just felt like a waste. Also, there have been guest stars in every single episode this year (although Giancarlo Esposito was at least a returning guest), which seems like somewhat of an overkill. It's just an observation.

And if we should all just watch the show and not analyze it, then what are we all doing here? Isn't the whole point of a discussion forum to, I don't know, discuss?
Old 03-01-13, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madcougar
I was immediatly put off by the fact that Nick Kroll was missing from the group of Germans. At that point, I realized I couldn't place the other two actors if I'd wanted to. I know that this probably sounds insane, but at this point, I just couldn't enjoy the episode.
That stuck in my craw too. How hard can it be to plan ahead and get Nick Kroll for an episode?
Old 03-01-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with this point. Hell, Betty White played the professor in Season 2 for a few episodes at least.
She was really only in one episode and the tag/end credits of another before being replaced by John Oliver (who I really miss BTW).
Old 03-01-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocket1312
And if we should all just watch the show and not analyze it, then what are we all doing here? Isn't the whole point of a discussion forum to, I don't know, discuss?
Wasn't trying to single you out with my comment. I'm all for discussing the show, it just seems like a lot of people are reading way to much into certain aspects of the new season trying to show how it's so much different from Harmon's version.

If I didn't know that Harmon was off the show, I'd probably just feel like the first three episodes were a little on the weak side.
Old 03-01-13, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Obey The D
If I didn't know that Harmon was off the show, I'd probably just feel like the first three episodes were a little on the weak side.
Agreed. There were plenty of episodes all throughout the first three seasons that people said were weak or "felt off". I think people are trying too hard to figure out how Harmon's absence has affected the show.
Old 03-01-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

I agree with this point. Hell, Betty White played the professor in Season 2 for a few episodes at least.
And that was at the height of when every network was in line to suck her nuts. But if it were the new guys doing that, they'd get lambasted to hell and back.
Old 03-01-13, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
That stuck in my craw too. How hard can it be to plan ahead and get Nick Kroll for an episode?
I love that this now becomes an issue of planning -- like the producers woke up Tuesday morning and said "Hey, let's do a German episode" but there was no time to dig Kroll's phone number out of the rolodex.

More likley is that Kroll was not interested in reprising the character, or (since his star is rising), they couldn't afford to have him back.
Old 03-01-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
This was a really good episode. I have some commentary about it, but I want to stress I'm not trying to pick the show to death. My expectation is that when such a big change happens at the top, there will be things that are different.

With that said, Dan Harmon would have never made several of the choices in this episode. First, the Dean would have been much more involved in the study room thing. Having the Dean distracted with Chang was a good call, but something more specific to the plot would have been a much better choice. Establish that the Dean had signed that study room out to the group like a couple of semesters at a time but he got distracted by the Chang stuff.

On top of that, Community is not a show where the other study rooms are clearly objectively inferior and therefore the rest of the school hates the gang. It's a show where (perhaps with one funny exception), the study rooms should be all virtually identical. One should have had an oval table instead of a rectangle. Another should have had different color chairs. Sure, put one in the basement and make it horrific. The point should have been how absurd the attachment to the one particular one was. The other students shouldn't have been rioting against the group, either. Instead, the group should have tried to rally support from the other students who were then just completely mystified about why it's a big deal. Leonard perhaps would be sympathetic if he thought they had to use study room x, the one crappy one in the basement, but then when he found out no it's that they were in study room b, the one that is identical except the chairs are a different color, he's just exasperated.

The Harmon view on this show was very specific and absurdist to a larger degree than with these new guys. It appears when they try to recapture that type of thing, they can't get the characters right. When they get the characters right, they don't get the absurdism correct. It's close enough to satisfy me, but I thought we weren't going to get any more Community because it was going to be canceled last year. I see this as bonus Community which is better than no Community.
That is a well thought-out analysis, and I agree with much of what you are saying. That being said, I agree with some of the other posts that a bit too much is being made of the show being "off' this season. It's unfortunate, but the fact is the show isn't going to last beyond its fourteen (or whatever) episode run out, so having angst over it not being quite the same anymore seems rather pointless.

I also agree that this was the strongest episode of the season, so far. I did laugh at quite a bit of it, which I guess is good enough for me in the post-Harmon era of the show.
Old 03-01-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think people are trying too hard to figure out how Harmon's absence has affected the show.
I'm just looking for some laughs, and didn't find many this episode. The head German was irritating, and Pierce getting electrocuted was stupid.

As long as we're analyzing the show...

The opposite of what I thought would happen this season has happened (so far): I figured they'd struggle with plots and compensate with lots of jokes. Instead, the storylines have been good, but the execution and jokes have been hit-and-miss.
Old 03-01-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I'm just looking for some laughs, and didn't find many this episode. The head German was irritating, and Pierce getting electrocuted was stupid.

As long as we're analyzing the show...

The opposite of what I thought would happen this season has happened (so far): I figured they'd struggle with plots and compensate with lots of jokes. Instead, the storylines have been good, but the execution and jokes have been hit-and-miss.
Fist, you might be a clone of mine who's running around the earth because this is 100 percent exactly the way I feel. Are you super handsome and have a very large penis?
Old 03-01-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fist, you might be a clone of mine who's running around the earth because this is 100 percent exactly the way I feel. Are you super handsome and have a very large penis?
Check. And my wife is hotter than Alison Brie.
Old 03-01-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Agreed. There were plenty of episodes all throughout the first three seasons that people said were weak or "felt off". I think people are trying too hard to figure out how Harmon's absence has affected the show.
I disagree. I think the episodes feel way off this season. They look like Community, they sound like Community, but they don't FEEL like Community (to me). That wouldn't bother me so much if the episodes were funnier, but while there have been some good jokes, I haven't laughed much. I'm not going to say it's all because Dan Harmon is gone. The fact is almost the entire writing/producing staff has turned over since season 2. I'm not sure if there's even anyone left from when the show first started. I've disliked a handful of episodes in the series' past, and overall I didn't like some of the directions season 3 went, but this season's epsiodes have just left me feeling apathetic. It was pointed out in an earlier thread that the show has a history of seasons starting slowly (which is true), and I hope that is the case. I will be the first one to come in here and change my tune if we get a great episode or two, but right now I'm just not feeling it.

Last edited by rocket1312; 03-01-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I love that this now becomes an issue of planning -- like the producers woke up Tuesday morning and said "Hey, let's do a German episode" but there was no time to dig Kroll's phone number out of the rolodex.

More likley is that Kroll was not interested in reprising the character, or (since his star is rising), they couldn't afford to have him back.
I guess I'm just surprised that Kroll is a tough get.
Old 03-01-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have postponed this episode for a later date then. The new lead German was not funny and was actually annoying. Kroll was hilarious.
Old 03-01-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

"We can't get Nick Kroll. Shut it down, we're moving on with something else."

-Dan Harmon, if he was still show runner.
Old 03-01-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
"We can't get Nick Kroll. Shut it down, we're moving on with something else."

-Dan Harmon, if he was still show runner.

Harmon might actually have shut it ALL down - "No Kroll? No more Community!"
Old 03-01-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, he has his own show now on Comedy Central and was probably busy working on that.
Old 03-01-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
but that excitement was quickly squashed once I realized Nick Kroll was replaced. The new guy (who I assume is some comedian I just didn't recognize) wasn't nearly as funny.
The new German is Brian, the sound boom guy, from The Office.
Old 03-01-13, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
That was great.

Todd - "They lost a pen"
So Todd wasn't at the Puppy Parade? What a todd.
Old 03-01-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I think this episode was pretty good and mostly back to form. Some pretty solid jokes, just not enough of them. All the characters "felt" right this episode.

The only issues I still have is the lack of jokes. I also agree the Germans were horrid.

Oh and Chang still sucks. They should have taken the fresh slate opportunity this season to write him out.
Old 03-01-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I did like the quick throwaway line about "no diaramas".
Old 03-02-13, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
The new German is Brian, the sound boom guy, from The Office.
He pretty much killed the episode for me. Unfunny and nails on chalkboard bad accent. Not sure why he keeps landing roles.
Old 03-02-13, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
He pretty much killed the episode for me. Unfunny and nails on chalkboard bad accent. Not sure why he keeps landing roles.
I'd think the other two surely could have handled things by themselves. They must have really believed in the comedy rule of three or something. Was he their only option for a third? Was he actually the best actor who auditioned? Was there something perhaps about their callback to Hogan's Heroes that suggested somebody with a terrible accent would be funny?
Old 03-02-13, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Was he actually the best actor who auditioned?
Hard to believe since he was fucking awful. He landed Moe in Three Stooges. I think what happens a lot of the time is someone lands a decent gig and gets the interview process down, and then they're continually hired whether they're funny/talented or not.

Kroll was probably busy with The League and/or his sketch show. Just roll with the other two.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.