DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Community - "Alternative History of the German Invasion" -- 02/28/2013 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/609025-community-alternative-history-german-invasion-02-28-2013-a.html)

Deftones 02-28-13 03:00 PM

Community - "Alternative History of the German Invasion" -- 02/28/2013

The gang begin a European history course after missing out on an ice-cream class. Adding to their misery is an encounter with the arrogant German students they battled last year. Elsewhere, Chang returns to Greendale, much to Dean Pelton's chagrin.

Noonan 02-28-13 03:13 PM

Re: Community - "Alternative History of the German Invasion" -- 02/28/2013

Nice; we finally have an episode which takes place at the school.

Matt 02-28-13 03:14 PM

Even if tonight's episode sucks, we still have this outfit to look forward to:

http://i.imgur.com/JWnxcQC.jpg

Meglos 02-28-13 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MWB (Post 11597067)
Even if tonight's episode sucks, we still have this outfit to look forward to:

http://i.imgur.com/JWnxcQC.jpg

Outfits.

http://i.imgur.com/T6MkKa7.jpg

madcougar 02-28-13 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 11597064)
Nice; we finally have an episode which takes place at the school.

Speaking of school... it's an episode THAT takes place in the school, not WHICH takes place in the school.

You're welcome.

Matt 02-28-13 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Meglos (Post 11597084)

Even better.

SpanishTechno 02-28-13 05:53 PM

That self-pic of Jacobs is not very flattering.

Hopefully a return to the school comes with a return to form for the show.

DJariya 02-28-13 06:08 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm back from vacation. But, I'm not really in a TV frame of mind yet. Just sat through an 12 1/2 hour flight and I'm freaking exhausted. I'll gradually work my way back to contributing to this forum. I have 2 weeks worth of shit to watch as well.

Deftones 02-28-13 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11597218)
Just wanted to let you guys know I'm back from vacation. But, I'm not really in a TV frame of mind yet. Just sat through an 12 1/2 hour flight and I'm freaking exhausted. I'll gradually work my way back to contributing to this forum. I have 2 weeks worth of shit to watch as well.

I'll carry the torch into next week. :wave:

DJariya 02-28-13 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 11597256)
I'll carry the torch into next week. :wave:

:thumbsup:

Moopher 02-28-13 07:18 PM

Mmm cleavage.

Fielding Mellish 02-28-13 07:34 PM

That felt like a real Community episode. Cautious optimism rising...

dex14 02-28-13 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meglos (Post 11597084)

"I fuckin love tits, you guys"

Gilgamesh1082 02-28-13 07:47 PM

Hey, the Germans were doing the Strongbad Techno music!

SpanishTechno 02-28-13 09:40 PM

"You had me at ruse."
"That was the last thing I said."
"Good thing you said it."

Actually a pretty enjoyable episode, and it didn't feel like any of the characters were dumbed down or trying too hard. Showing how their study room use affected the other students over the years was fun. Some of the jokes fell flat but this might have been the strongest of the season so far.

I'm still waiting for a truly outstanding episode though. Something tells me this isn't going to be a season that demands to be rewatched.

Big Boy Laroux 03-01-13 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno (Post 11597413)
Showing how their study room use affected the other students over the years was fun.

That was great.

Todd - "They lost a pen"

Jimmy James 03-01-13 06:23 AM

This was a really good episode. I have some commentary about it, but I want to stress I'm not trying to pick the show to death. My expectation is that when such a big change happens at the top, there will be things that are different.

With that said, Dan Harmon would have never made several of the choices in this episode. First, the Dean would have been much more involved in the study room thing. Having the Dean distracted with Chang was a good call, but something more specific to the plot would have been a much better choice. Establish that the Dean had signed that study room out to the group like a couple of semesters at a time but he got distracted by the Chang stuff.

On top of that, Community is not a show where the other study rooms are clearly objectively inferior and therefore the rest of the school hates the gang. It's a show where (perhaps with one funny exception), the study rooms should be all virtually identical. One should have had an oval table instead of a rectangle. Another should have had different color chairs. Sure, put one in the basement and make it horrific. The point should have been how absurd the attachment to the one particular one was. The other students shouldn't have been rioting against the group, either. Instead, the group should have tried to rally support from the other students who were then just completely mystified about why it's a big deal. Leonard perhaps would be sympathetic if he thought they had to use study room x, the one crappy one in the basement, but then when he found out no it's that they were in study room b, the one that is identical except the chairs are a different color, he's just exasperated.

The Harmon view on this show was very specific and absurdist to a larger degree than with these new guys. It appears when they try to recapture that type of thing, they can't get the characters right. When they get the characters right, they don't get the absurdism correct. It's close enough to satisfy me, but I thought we weren't going to get any more Community because it was going to be canceled last year. I see this as bonus Community which is better than no Community.

Meglos 03-01-13 08:21 AM

http://i.imgur.com/fWT0IbA.png

CPA-ESQ. 03-01-13 08:47 AM

I liked the flashbacks showing the group monopolizing the room for nonsense

DRG 03-01-13 08:59 AM

Yeah, this one was pretty good. I loved the little throwaway lines... like the Germans referring to the show as "Hogan's Villains". And Pierce getting pissed about not being the group's 'Hitler'... "So we're not even going to talk about it?"

madcougar 03-01-13 10:06 AM

I was immediatly put off by the fact that Nick Kroll was missing from the group of Germans. At that point, I realized I couldn't place the other two actors if I'd wanted to. I know that this probably sounds insane, but at this point, I just couldn't enjoy the episode.

rocket1312 03-01-13 10:17 AM

This episode was ok, but I still haven't seen anything this season that comes close to the show's best. The stories so far all have great ideas in them, but none seem particulary well fleshed out. Dan Harmon was notrious for agonizing over every little story beat making sure that they were all in service of his little story arc circle/chart/thing that he drew for each episode. That level of personal investment seems missing to me this year. It all feel very "paint-by-numbers."

I liked the callback to the "history of ice-cream" and Pierce complaining that Jeff was the Hitler was great. I was initially excited to see the Germans return, but that excitement was quickly squashed once I realized Nick Kroll was replaced. The new guy (who I assume is some comedian I just didn't recognize) wasn't nearly as funny. And what's the deal with all of the guest stars this year? Was there any real reason they needed Malcom McDowell to play the teacher? It seemed totally wasted to me. I assume he's going to be recurring so hopefully they'll actually use him more later on.

Xander 03-01-13 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 11597733)
Yeah, this one was pretty good. I loved the little throwaway lines... like the Germans referring to the show as "Hogan's Villains". And Pierce getting pissed about not being the group's 'Hitler'... "So we're not even going to talk about it?"

Agreed. And I liked them showing how the other students felt about the Greendale 7 hogging the study room all the time.

I wish Nick Kroll had returned. The new head german was annoying. But overall, I liked it. :)

Obey The D 03-01-13 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 11597826)
And what's the deal with all of the guest stars this year? Was there any real reason they needed Malcom McDowell to play the teacher? It seemed totally wasted to me. I assume he's going to be recurring so hopefully they'll actually use him more later on.

They have a guest star play the teacher every season! I think people need to stop over-analyzing this show and just watch it.

madcougar 03-01-13 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Obey The D (Post 11597859)
They have a guest star play the teacher every season! I think people need to stop over-analyzing this show and just watch it.

I agree with this point. Hell, Betty White played the professor in Season 2 for a few episodes at least.