TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SyFy Collection Intervention

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
Re: SyFy Collection Intervention

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The big problem with some of these people is they aren't collectors, but compulsive buyers that mindlessly pick up anything that is issued under the brand they desire. Calling them collectors is a big stretch, when the items are thrown around a room with no organization and there is food in the piles.
Agreed. I'm a big Batman fan but I'm pretty selective about what I purchase and don't buy a bunch of crap just to buy it. Some of these people just can't exercise self control over the brand they love.
Old 09-10-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
This bitch would take one look at my DVD and Blu-ray collection and faint. Coupled with my girlfriends' collection of 2000+ books, we should have invested in shelving futures.
I think the average DVD "collection" is more an accumulation than actual collection as has been presented in the show, ie collectibles. Unless of course you're collecting rare foreign movies, movies with special containers or something like that. Otherwise, you're just a guy with a lot of movies, not a guy with a lot of collectibles. But that's just my two cents.
Old 09-10-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I always wondered why I kept my 12 long boxes of '80s X-Men comics for so long. I had everything from Alpha Fight, Cable to Wolverine and X-Factor. I bought 'em, read 'em, and bagged 'em. Silly me, thought they would pay for my son's college education (ha!). This summer, I sold them to a dealer and bought my son an iPad in anticipation of my grandson's birth last month.

I also had a 700+ DVD collection that, last year, I coverted to .mp4s, and sold the discs.

That being said, I kind of like this show. It makes me feel better about myself.
Old 09-10-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
I always wondered why I kept my 12 long boxes of '80s X-Men comics for so long. I had everything from Alpha Fight, Cable to Wolverine and X-Factor. I bought 'em, read 'em, and bagged 'em. Silly me, thought they would pay for my son's college education (ha!). This summer, I sold them to a dealer and bought my son an iPad in anticipation of my grandson's birth last month.

I also had a 700+ DVD collection that, last year, I coverted to .mp4s, and sold the discs.

That being said, I kind of like this show. It makes me feel better about myself.
I don't know what you had, but you'll never make any real money selling them to a dealer.
Old 09-11-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

80s X-Men are never really going to make any real money, sold to a dealer or otherwise. You'd make a bit more if you broke them up and sold them, but the time involved would totally not be worth it.
Old 09-12-12, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you know, they aired two new episodes tonight, and the second one was the season finale.
Old 09-12-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Just so you know, they aired two new episodes tonight, and the second one was the season finale.

I didn't know there were 2... but the first with the BSG and robot collectors was pretty enjoyable. I don't think I got pissed at the show/host at all which is a first. She wasn't trying to force them into selling things they didn't really want to sell.
Old 09-12-12, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally figured it out! It was bugging me who Elise reminded me of, but she's totally got a Meg Ryan thing going on.

Interesting final two episodes. I found myself rooting for the Marlo guy. He was pretty likeable. And the Riddick he was making looked dope. The Flintstones guy had one of the more contained collections, so I'm glad there wasn't an emphasis on selling stuff, but he clearly had some issues with losing his Mom and Grandma. Robot guy had some really neat stuff, just too much. I really like the look of those big ass mazingers.

I hope this show comes back. It's pretty simple, but I like the format, and like seeing the stuff some of these people have.
Old 09-12-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I've enjoyed this quite a bit more than I thought I would so hopefully it returns for another season. The collectors last night were pretty enjoyable, I too liked Marlo and thought he seemed like a good guy just unorganized. He had a lot of cool stuff and it sorta surprised me he sold that Godzilla as it seemed like his prize piece, $1,000 is a lot for one item though. The Battlestar Galactica guy was cool too. The Robot collection was pretty out of control, but at least she talked him into making an inventory and protecting his stuff.
Old 09-12-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I missed them, but burning off the last two episodes like this indicates to me the show won't be back.
Old 09-12-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Interesting final two episodes. I found myself rooting for the Marlo guy. He was pretty likeable.
I met that dude before. His name is Marlo Alquiza. He's done a lot of inkwork for Image, Marvel and DC.

Last edited by mrhan; 09-12-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I missed them, but burning off the last two episodes like this indicates to me the show won't be back.
Wow. Even for Syfy it was kinda odd the way they closed the season. New epsiode, then next hour was a new Face Off, and then the CI season (series) finale. I actually found it while channel surfing. You would think there's a place for this show on the same channel that gives us such atrocities as Ghost Hunters and Paranormal Witness.
Old 09-13-12, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
I met that dude before. His name is Marlo Alquiza. He's done a lot of inkwork for Image, Marvel and DC.
Ok, that was him. I kept wondering who he was in the industry and then when Ande Park showed up I went "Wait, is this the Marlo guy who was inking him on Tomb Raider?" and remembered his last name.
Old 09-13-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, that was him. I kept wondering who he was in the industry and then when Ande Park showed up I went "Wait, is this the Marlo guy who was inking him on Tomb Raider?" and remembered his last name.
I have a sweet Superman splash page from Action Comics from this guy and Kano.
Old 09-13-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/...-intervention/

How Master Collectors Became Collection Intervention

DC Comics inker Marlo Alquiza was on the season finale of Collection Intervention on SyFy two nights ago. The show looked at his model building skills and collection of figures, into five figures. However, when they approached him to do the show, it was called Master Collectors. A slight shift in tone perhaps? Rather than a show about a collector, they turned it into an invervention show, to get him to reduce his model making time and collection. Marlo writes;

Hey guys! I didn’t even know this aired already! LOL! Oh man! You don’t know me… You don’t know me! So embarrassing! I don’t even get SyFy, so I’ll have to get a copy somewhere!

Let’s just say when I was approached, the show was called Master Collectors… after the shoot, I find out it’s gonna be called Collection Intervention! WTF! Then there’s all the crap they made us do. My wife was still jet lagged from coming home the day before from the Philippines, so she was not happy! My left foot was injured which is why I’m now in a cast, but they didn’t care. It was 3 days of hell! Oh boy!

Some single presenter pieces-to-camera and voiceovers reveal how they turned one filmed show into another by adding these links;

“So I think I need a little more information about Marlo’s collection, before we can make a plan”

“When a collector starts keeping secrets about their collection from family members, it can be a sight that there’s a real problem”

“He’s a great artist, he should work in the movies or in the comics, that’s his dream job”

“It’s my job to facilitate a compromise”

Put all these around someone talking about their collection, especially in a self-depracating fashion in places, and you create a narrative that wasn’t there originally. The same tricks were clearly being used on the other participants in the show. Once you know it’s going on, it’s hard not to see it.
Old 09-13-12, 10:33 AM
Banned

The SyFy network uses shady and deceptive tactics?

No, I'll never believe it.
Old 09-13-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be fair, some of them needed the the shady tricks. You could clearly see which ones were one step away from being declared flat out hoarders.
Old 09-13-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I suspect the show was always intended to be about hoarders, but they originally presented the show as Master Collectors to trick some of these people into being on the show. How many people want their collections to be ridiculed on national television as hoarding?
Old 09-13-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

It's just like the real Intervention show where they tell them that they're doing a documentary about drug use or whatever.
Old 09-13-12, 08:33 PM
Banned

I have so many collections, I could probably be on the show. I have a complete collection of the Batman TAS toys from McDonalds (with the Happy Meal Boxes), the Batman Returns toys, a small sword collection, 5 boxes of comics, 4 Daleks, a K-9, sonic screwdriver, more than 900 dvds and blu-rays (individual titles), 2 big light up Jack O' Lanterns, several incense burners, several large binders filled with Star Trek, Dinotopia, comic superhero, Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park pogs, etc., too many books to count, and too many posters to hang up.
Old 09-14-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There should be a whole other intervention show for anyone who has any POGS, even just one.
Old 09-14-12, 05:01 PM
Banned

I never played with them, mind you, I only got them because they were Jurassic Park pogs.
Old 09-14-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's never a valid excuse to own pogs.
Old 09-15-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
There's never a valid excuse to own pogs.
It was the 90's, I needed the money?
Old 09-15-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
There should be a whole other intervention show for anyone who has any POGS, even just one.
Pogs were huge here in HI back in the early to middle 90's and I mean huge.
Everybody and his mother were selling them. Go to the local flea market and there were tons of people selling or trading them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.