Reload this Page >

SyFy Collection Intervention

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-17-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone see this? The 1st episode was last Tuesday. Looks interesting; gonna try to catch it next week.

http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...vention/25499/
Old 08-17-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: SyFy Collection Intervention

Yes, I saw it even though I tend to avoid shows like Hoarders due to the repetitive nature of the content. Basically it was an episode of Hoarders but the people collected things appealing to nerds instead of old newspapers or trash.

I'll say this, the marriage between the Asian woman and the Catwoman collector is doomed to fail. She looked intensely unhappy the entire segment and had absolutely no understanding of her husband's behavior. It looked to me like she was trying to hold back her anger most of the episode, for fear of looking like a harpy on national television with the cameras rolling. The husband was practically in tears and I'm not sure the show's interference helped the situation at all.

They had more serious problems going on than a simple Catwoman collection that was out of control.
Old 08-29-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I watched this last night and the guy's comic book collection didn't impress me at all. Sure, he had 30,000 books but to me it was worthless but that's just my opinion. He didn't own a single silver age or golden age book. Wouldn't a true collector want those comics in his collection? Obviously, he likes to read them as we all do but there has to be more than that. But like I said that's just my opinion.
Old 08-29-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I watched this last night and the guy's comic book collection didn't impress me at all. Sure, he had 30,000 books but to me it was worthless but that's just my opinion. He didn't own a single silver age or golden age book. Wouldn't a true collector want those comics in his collection? Obviously, he likes to read them as we all do but there has to be more than that. But like I said that's just my opinion.
To me that makes him more of a "hoarder" then a "collector" and thus deserves an intervention. A collector tackles a hobby with some sense of intelligence and planning.
Old 08-29-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen the ep yet, but I feel like collecting things that are valuable, but meaningless to you, is just as bad as collecting a lot of worthless stuff. I'm no collector, but silver and golden age books mean nothing to me, whereas "worthless" books do.
Old 08-29-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the show for the reason that I enjoy looking at collections of this stuff but the host pisses me off. I'm less than 10 minutes in to this new episode and she's trying to tell the guy with 30k books what to collect. If he doesn't like or want golden and silver age comics than piss off and don't tell him to collect them. How about having him collect TPBs instead of individual issues to cut down on the boxes. It doesn't have to be a collection of the oldest and most valuable for someone to love it.
Old 08-29-12, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you were to go into the closets of the wives of some of these guys if they have 3000 pairs of shoes?
Old 08-29-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Elyse Luray is a total MILF. I watch History Detectives just to watch her. She's much more glammed up in this.

But as someone said earlier, this is Horders For Nerds. With the exception of the guy with the Transformer collection, the other three guys needed to get a divorce, not pare down their collections.
Old 08-29-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I totally disagree. Do you think these collectors are the picture of health? Not that I think collecting isn't a fine thing to do. If you've got the means and the space for it, go to town. But so many of the people showcased on this show seem to have issues, and I don't think any of the wives or husbands have been unreasonable.

Transformer guy seems to be sitting on a goldmine. But he needs to fall back with this "You have to agree to take care of it" nonsense. I give you money, I can burn that thing if I want son!

I would be interested in what books comic book guy was selling. $500 for 2000 modern (80s to today) books is not a bad deal at all when you factor in not having to ship things or having to piece out a collection over time. He could probably get a bit more for the books he was selling, but it would also take a shit load more of work.

Last edited by boredsilly; 08-29-12 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-29-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I haven't seen the ep yet, but I feel like collecting things that are valuable, but meaningless to you, is just as bad as collecting a lot of worthless stuff. I'm no collector, but silver and golden age books mean nothing to me, whereas "worthless" books do.
Would you like to buy all of my worthless comic books? While I don't have 30,000 of them, 9 long boxes should keep you occupied. I need to catch that episode to see what he sold.
Old 08-29-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heh, no thank you. I meant the books that I do care about would be deemed "worthless" by this shows appraiser, but they hold value for me more so than key books do. But when I say "books" I'm really talking about stories, because I don't own any single issue comics any more.

But this guy was talking about Starman, John Byrne comics, Death in the Family, pretty much every comic every one who has been collection comics since the 80s has.
Old 08-30-12, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't understand why the guy with the Bronze Age comics collection did not consider moving the comics to a storage facility instead of trying to sell them. The comics were largely worthless, as seen by the fair offer he got from the comics store, and he treated them like his babies. His wife kept repeating wanting the living room back and not much else.

The show's idea to trade the issues for key Silver Age issues wasn't a very thoughtful solution for that collector. He showed little interest in them and I completely understand. While l like reading Silver Age stuff in Archive formats and trades, I would have no interest in collecting individual issues at all.
Old 08-30-12, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
To me that makes him more of a "hoarder" then a "collector" and thus deserves an intervention. A collector tackles a hobby with some sense of intelligence and planning.
The fact that he spoke passionately about getting that last issue of Quasar and how much it meant to him because of the memory I was just shaking my head going "Really? Over the last issue of Quasar?"

But yeah his whole "I don't care much for Silver Age" really threw me for a loop.

For pete's sake, I bought a batch of estate comics off of Ebay a few months ago just because when I was looking at the pictures, I noticed he had a copy of JLA #9 (1963) hidden among the stuff. Went after that right then and there.
Old 08-30-12, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Would you like to buy all of my worthless comic books? While I don't have 30,000 of them, 9 long boxes should keep you occupied. I need to catch that episode to see what he sold.
We don't know specifically what he sold. They name checked the usuals, Batman, Avengers, Quasar....

But we had no idea how far back is collection went. We just know it goes back as far as childhood, so 70's/80's at the earliest.
Old 08-30-12, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I didn't understand why the guy with the Bronze Age comics collection did not consider moving the comics to a storage facility instead of trying to sell them. The comics were largely worthless, as seen by the fair offer he got from the comics store, and he treated them like his babies. His wife kept repeating wanting the living room back and not much else.

The show's idea to trade the issues for key Silver Age issues wasn't a very thoughtful solution for that collector. He showed little interest in them and I completely understand. While l like reading Silver Age stuff in Archive formats and trades, I would have no interest in collecting individual issues at all.
I still love collecting the individual issues, no matter how far back they go. But you're right, thanks to the Archives, I can read them in that format and leave the comics alone in whatever condition I bought them in and never open them so they keep their current condition. But always have reading copies around.
Old 08-30-12, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-30-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

Exactly. There was a time she even told him to keep a certain book because of how much it meant to him. I don't see why he has to collect certain comics for people to consider it a collection. A well organized collection of 80s/90s comics kept in good condition is no different than a collection of golden age books aside from the monetary value. We aren't talking about a a guy who is sitting on his ass in a LaZBoy while trash piles up around him and bugs over take the house. The problem here wasn't the collection, it was just living space. There were plenty of solutions other than "your collection is wrong, collect this instead"
Old 08-30-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, my issue with the show is that personal collections are personal. You don't need a consultant to come in an tell you what is valuable and what you should collect. Pretty much every episode involves people needing more space, not hoarders.
Old 08-30-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this chick really that knowledgeable? Hearing her spout off factoids on comics and Transformers sounded more like someone who just did a lot of cramming, and less like someone who really knows their stuff. A collector can see right through that.

The comic book guy's fiancee was a bit of a bitch - I mean, come on, you knew what you were getting into when you picked him, right? - but she seemed to ease up later on and give him some breathing room. I'm sure he's having a hard time choosing between not getting laid for 15 years again, or keeping his hot-as-I'm-gonna get lady. Good call on his part. He should buy an iPad and just download his books.

When she walked into Tranformers guy's place, I kept thinking that was the hottest chick those walls have ever seen that wasn't on a computer.
Old 08-30-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
The fact that he spoke passionately about getting that last issue of Quasar and how much it meant to him because of the memory I was just shaking my head going "Really? Over the last issue of Quasar?"

But yeah his whole "I don't care much for Silver Age" really threw me for a loop.
Someone would have to kill me before I ever parted with my original copy of Secret Origins #10 (release date: 1987) that I bought off the rack. It's not worth much in terms of monetary value but is still one of my favorite issues out of a collection that once included over 10,000 issues. Quasar was actually a solid series. Silver Age and Golden Age issues do nothing for me (one exception: original Captain Marvel and Whiz issues), even though I realize they are the only comics worth investing in.

The Transformers collector had an obvious psychological problem with his collection and needs some sort of outside intervention to get his life in order. The comic book guy simply needed the number of a good storage facility or move into a house with a basement.
Old 08-30-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Elyse is former Head of Special Collections at Christie's, so I would gather that she knows a little but probably not in huge depth unless she's personally dealt with an item.

Working for Christie's, I now see why she tends to look more at focusing the collections on monetary value rather than paring it down by focusing more upon personal value to the collector. For example, trying to steer the comic book collector toward Golden/Silver Age because they are valuable when he doesn't care much about those eras.
Old 08-30-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I wonder if they will do a episode on DVD collectors?

The first show was the best with the lady who collected Star Wars and when she had to sell one of her loose Ewok figures she cried as if she lost a child lol.

Fast forwarded the episode with the Barbie collector.

Old 08-30-12, 05:05 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

DVDs would be interesting. But there really is no value in it.
Old 08-30-12, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I don't think any of the wives or husbands have been unreasonable.
Really? Even the total **** married to the Catwoman guy? That's a divorce waiting to happen, whether he collects Catwoman shit or not.
Old 08-30-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Really? Even the total **** married to the Catwoman guy? That's a divorce waiting to happen, whether he collects Catwoman shit or not.
Yea, I don't think they painted her in any false light because she's really been the only totally cold hearted bitch. She seems like just a purely awful person to be around

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.