TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SyFy Collection Intervention

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SyFy Collection Intervention

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Someone would have to kill me before I ever parted with my original copy of Secret Origins #10 (release date: 1987) that I bought off the rack. It's not worth much in terms of monetary value but is still one of my favorite issues out of a collection that once included over 10,000 issues. Quasar was actually a solid series. Silver Age and Golden Age issues do nothing for me (one exception: original Captain Marvel and Whiz issues), even though I realize they are the only comics worth investing in.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not so much knocking how he feels over his comic, I'm just knocking him over his choice of a comic to react to.

And as for your favorite copy of Secret Origins? LOL I wonder what you think of what they've done to Phantom Stranger recently in light of that being your fave issue. And it is a good one. I've got the complete run of Secret Origins. Great stuff.
Old 08-31-12, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Travel Channel has a show called Toy Hunter which is kind of similar to Collector Intervention.

I bet with all they money they have to buy comics, toys, etc they could have bought a new Big screen TV or a car with that money.

They have these great collections but live in average or crappy homes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oYy_9hjhu7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-31-12, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Really? Even the total **** married to the Catwoman guy? That's a divorce waiting to happen, whether he collects Catwoman shit or not.
Seriously? I get that she came off as cold in the episode, but the woman said that she and her husband were in major debt and couldn't pay they're bills. She's a "****" because she was at her wits end because she's with a guy who would rather buy some Catwoman barbies than make sure their finances are in order? She said he's bought Catwoman stuff before paying the mortgage before. That's crazy. Maybe I missed something, but depending on what kind of debt they're in, that shit can be debilitating, and it would only be heightened if you see some of your limited finances going to buy superfluous stuff -- in this case Catwoman collectibles.

Furthermore, Catwoman guy kept his collection secret until after they were engaged, and told her that he would "get it under control" (whatever that means) when they got married, and clearly didn't. It would be easier to paint a better picture if we knew more (who's the bread winner, who makes what, does he keep buying catwoman stuff at a good clip or is it just a trickle, how did they get in debt -- was it him or her, are they in debt because of Catwoman?, etc). But I'm not going to just write this woman off as a bitch because she's trying to separate a boy from his toys.

I agree the wife could have been more understanding, but the collector dude was a huge part of the problem. I would be interested to see if you would be as dismissive if the roles were reversed and the wife had a bunch of shoes in the garage (as well as continuing to buy them), and the husband was at his limit because they were in debt and couldn't keep up with their bills.

One more thing about Catwoman guy. His case was really simple, because he HAD THE SPACE to display his stuff. Clear out that garage, and put some shelves in and create a little mini-museum. I think a bit problem that people who live with collectors have (and that I agree with) is that it's pointless to buy things to just have them sit in boxes. At least if a person has their collection setup in a way were it can be enjoyed it is easier to understand for non-collectors.

I think the best example of this was the Barbie woman. That case of Barbies she had setup showed a respect for the toys she had. If that was all she had, she would have been fine. The problem came when she had all that extra shit shoved in closets and the garage, taking up her husband's and son's spaces.
Old 08-31-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Travel Channel has a show called Toy Hunter which is kind of similar to Collector Intervention.
I tried watching that, but that host got on my nerves. I know he has to do it for TV, but he does this thing where he's explaining what the toy he found was to the person who actually owns the thing and for some reason that put me off big time. It's not that much different from Pawn Stars, but here I just couldn't stand it. Especially when he was explaining something about a Super Powers Darkseid vehicle, but kept pronouncing it Dark-seed.
Old 08-31-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes lol

I would not sell anything to Toy Hunter when he wants to rip you off and then sell it for $200 more at a auction.
Old 08-31-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Basically it was an episode of Hoarders but the people collected things appealing to nerds instead of old newspapers or trash.
So siffee has devolved to the point where they're running a show where we all point and laugh and people who love science fiction?

Screw them. They could start airing the Caprica Six Fellatio Hour and I still won't watch anything else on that channel again.
Old 08-31-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DarthVong

That's what I'M saying!
Old 09-01-12, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I tried watching that, but that host got on my nerves. I know he has to do it for TV, but he does this thing where he's explaining what the toy he found was to the person who actually owns the thing and for some reason that put me off big time. It's not that much different from Pawn Stars, but here I just couldn't stand it. Especially when he was explaining something about a Super Powers Darkseid vehicle, but kept pronouncing it Dark-seed.
That's what I kept screaming at the TV: ITS NOT DARK-SEED!

Its a fun show for a half hour.
Old 09-01-12, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes lol

I would not sell anything to Toy Hunter when he wants to rip you off and then sell it for $200 more at a auction.
That's his job. Its the same thing with comic store owners. You go in there with your stuff to sell, their job is to pay the least amount of money. If they sold it for what it is worth, you get no profit.

The best you can do is be knowledgable about what the items are actually worth ahead of time yourself so you can work out as fair a deal for both of you as possible so know one feels ripped off.
Old 09-01-12, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes lol

Yeah, people work for free. Rent is free. Electricty is free. He just wants to make sure you get 100% of what the item is worth selling at auction but he can pay all the fees associated with it.
Old 09-01-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I've been watching this series and I think it's been okay so far. It seems like a lot of the collectors on the show are just really bad at organizing their things or don't have enough space for them. Also a lot of them just seem to buy anything that has a certain character/brand attached, which is fine to an extent but you've got to know limits and not buy items just to buy them in my opinion at least. I think the people with the biggest issues were the Catwoman and Transformers collectors. The Barbie collector was pretty bad too seeing as she was taking over a large chunk of the home with her collection (including both of her sons closets).

I bet with all they money they have to buy comics, toys, etc they could have bought a new Big screen TV or a car with that money.

They have these great collections but live in average or crappy homes.
Toy Hunter is a pretty interesting show despite the host being kind of annoying. It's pretty cool to see all the nice vintage items he finds. It basically reminds me of American Pickers but focusing on only toys.
Old 09-04-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone watch tonight's episode? The guy with all of the posters and books has a ton of stuff that is right up my alley. Seeing his collection was awesome. It made me seriously angry for him when he did the expo of his stuff and someone hung a poster in direct sunlight though. That's just plain stupid. It seems like he'll be able to get his collection under control without having to get rid of his favorite pieces or really bringing down the significance of it.

The other guy had some really cool stuff with the Hot Toys pieces. Good for him for getting rid of his low dollar items and clearing out the space for his girl to move in.

The new therapist angle is really annoying though. I'm pretty sure they haven't brought one in before this, have they?
Old 09-05-12, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sean the toy guy seems like a pretty cool person. I've been watching his reviews on Youtube for a while and they're pretty entertaining. The other guy on tonight's episode had a ton of cool stuff but it was just so unorganized and he just had way too much. I wonder if he's actually made progress towards getting his house less cluttered or not.
Old 09-05-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not a big fan of kitsch, but I would LOVE to walk through Howie's house and be able to pick 10 things to have. So many cool things in that collection. It was a mess, but the stuff that was there was really neat.

It's interesting seeing Sean on this show. I've seen his videos online before, and he even has a series called "Project Display" that he started earlier this year dealing with him getting his collection organized. I wonder if this was filmed before that, or if he made project display after filming of this show.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SEANxLON...roject+display
Old 09-05-12, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the catwoman collectors wife is a bitch
Old 09-05-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I'm not a big fan of kitsch, but I would LOVE to walk through Howie's house and be able to pick 10 things to have. So many cool things in that collection. It was a mess, but the stuff that was there was really neat.

It's interesting seeing Sean on this show. I've seen his videos online before, and he even has a series called "Project Display" that he started earlier this year dealing with him getting his collection organized. I wonder if this was filmed before that, or if he made project display after filming of this show.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SEANxLON...roject+display
He and Raquel did a live show last night on Youtube leading up to the show and he said that they filmed it right after Comic Con.
Old 09-06-12, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This bitch would take one look at my DVD and Blu-ray collection and faint. Coupled with my girlfriends' collection of 2000+ books, we should have invested in shelving futures.
Old 09-07-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That guy with the Hot Toys collection should have kept his figures in their original packaging.

Why collect if you let your collection be on the floor, near coffee, and all over the place and exposed to possible damage?

Daveed the Transformers guy was insane. He sold stuff so he could add more to his collection and he did not want to sell that one Transformers figure for $700.
Old 09-07-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno I can see both sides of the argument when it comes to toys I guess. To me personally it's kind of lame buying them if you just are going to leave them in the box and not be able to pose/display them how you want. Plus leaving them in the box takes up a lot more room and they're harder to display that way. On the other hand obviously if you plan to resell them at some point it makes more sense to leave them in the box. I normally open my figures unless it's something special such as a vintage item or a limited edition one.

One nice thing with the Hot Toys figures is that you can remove the figure from their box without destroying it so you can place it back inside later if you plan to resell it later.
Old 09-07-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That guy with the Hot Toys collection should have kept his figures in their original packaging.

Why collect if you let your collection be on the floor, near coffee, and all over the place and exposed to possible damage?
I agree that his stuff was a mess, but that guy makes his living reviewing toys on youtube. He can't really do that unless he opens the figures up. Aside from that, I agree with Mike. It really is a matter of preference when it comes to keeping figures in packaging or not.
Old 09-07-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do Hot Toys lose value for opening them since the type of box they come allows you to replace it back as if it was never opened? Would there even be a way to know if it was opened or not?
Old 09-08-12, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Do Hot Toys lose value for opening them since the type of box they come allows you to replace it back as if it was never opened? Would there even be a way to know if it was opened or not?
I don't really think so. I suppose there are fanboys who want absolutely everything mint in box but I think it's pretty widely accepted that if you're buying Hot Toys figures that you'll be displaying them and not just leaving them in the boxes. They're honestly too expensive and too nice to just buy and not take out of the box to display. Plus it's not official value but looking at eBay a lot of people who list figures are able to get pretty ridiculous prices for figures that aren't made anymore.
Old 09-08-12, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They said on the show Hot Toys is one of those rare companies where their stuff is so intricately detailed the price goes up in or out of the box. But as others have said, since you can take them out of the boxes with no real concerns of damaging anything, people are making sure to keep the boxes around as well.
Old 09-08-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's what I figured. Anyone who keeps those things in the box is nuts. They're incredible toys.
Old 09-09-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

The big problem with some of these people is they aren't collectors, but compulsive buyers that mindlessly pick up anything that is issued under the brand they desire. Calling them collectors is a big stretch, when the items are thrown around a room with no organization and there is food in the piles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.