Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

General UK TV Show chatter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,108 Likes on 781 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

^ I have to finish up last season of Friday Night Dinner and then watch this new season. Last season started out underwhelming, so I'd forgotten about it.

I really enjoyed a show called Fleabag. Looking forward to another season, but apparently it won't be out until next year. This huge delay (season 1 was broadcast in 2016) for some shows is getting to be really annoying.
Old 05-30-18, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 149 Posts

Finished up series 1 of Back. It was very good, and had quite a few laugh out loud moments. It was also somewhat dark. Can't wait for series 2 (hopefully this fall).
Old 06-12-18, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got to watch the final 2 episodes of Friday Night Dinner and all I can say is wow for the finale. I actually felt dirty because I went from laughing to shock and sadness and back to laughing. To think that might possibly be it for the series as well is just more heartbreaking.
Old 06-24-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phodg
Check out the new Julia Davis sitcom "Camping". Very, very funny but also very uncomfortable at times. I love the way she writes.
Just finished watching “Camping” and I will definitely be checking out some of Julia Davis’ other work.
Old 06-24-18, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely watch Nighty Night. Mark Gatiss is very funny as Glen Bulb.

She really is a master of dark humour.
Old 06-29-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Love this show and Matt Berry!
Stephen Toast just tried to sell me a Serta mattress during Formula 1 coverage this morning. The audio was crisp and clear, so props to Clem Fandango on this one.
Old 06-29-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
Definitely watch Nighty Night. Mark Gatiss is very funny as Glen Bulb.

She really is a master of dark humour.
I figured it might be best to cleanse my palette with something else after Camping since that sort of show takes a little piece of your soul when you laugh at it and I could use the time to heal that wound.

But Nighty Night is definitely next on my list after finally - after years in the making - going through Mighty Boosh. I knew I would like Noel Fielding from his work in IT Crowd and some other small roles, but I didn't realize how much. I'm half way through the first season and really enjoying it.
Old 07-30-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently Camping is going to be done as an HBO series with Jennifer Garner and David Tennant.

I'll give it a watch, but really can't imagine it'll be good. The short trailer certainly doesn't give me any confidence in it. It's being Executive Produced by Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner of Girls fame.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/27/enter...how/index.html
Old 07-30-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pass
Old 07-30-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Stephen Toast just tried to sell me a Serta mattress during Formula 1 coverage this morning. The audio was crisp and clear, so props to Clem Fandango on this one.

I figured it might be best to cleanse my palette with something else after Camping since that sort of show takes a little piece of your soul when you laugh at it and I could use the time to heal that wound.

But Nighty Night is definitely next on my list after finally - after years in the making - going through Mighty Boosh. I knew I would like Noel Fielding from his work in IT Crowd and some other small roles, but I didn't realize how much. I'm half way through the first season and really enjoying it.
Oh yeah, the Boosh is fantastic. I'll have to check out Camping and Nighty Night, I need some new Brit shows to watch.
Old 07-30-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you've never seen Nighty Night, start with that, first. The first series is excellent (second is good, too) and was my introduction to the dark side of Julia Davis.

I could never get into The Mighty Boosh. I think I'll have to give it another try, as I am a fan of a number of the actors in it.
Old 10-23-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did watch all of Nighty Night and it was a cringe-inducing hoot.

More recently I just finished watching Quacks, and while certainly not as dark as Julia Davis shows it had its moments. But it was generally much more traditionally funny and I found it to be very well written and acted. Knowing that it came out in 2017 I quickly checked to see when series 2 might be coming to find out it was confirmed about a month ago that it was over. So if you want a 6 episode high quality dark humor binge check out Quacks.
Old 10-23-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

I noticed the new Bodyguard (I believe recent BBC1) production is slated to arrive on Netflix in the US. I haven’t ready any in depth reviews, but the buzz sounded good when it aired earlier this year.
Old 10-23-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, up next: White Gold
Old 10-23-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, up next: White Gold
Still no word on S2 as one of the leads was facing sexual assault charges, that have now been dropped. They 'paused' filming when the allegations came out. No word on whether they've resumed.

I'm currently watching Wanderlust. Not bad.

I think I'll check out Quacks, as well.
Old 10-24-18, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still no word on S2 as one of the leads was facing sexual assault charges, that have now been dropped. They 'paused' filming when the allegations came out. No word on whether they've resumed.
Just my luck!

Watched the first couple episodes and found it interesting. I also found it funny that in the show Inbetweeners Jay (James Buckley) is constantly bragging to Simon (Joe Thomas) about packing a huge hog he does not actually possess, and in the opening moments of White Gold Brian (James Buckley) reveals his huge hog to Martin (Joe Thomas). I can't help but wonder if that was an intentional nod to their Inbetweeners past.
Old 12-23-18, 08:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 143 Likes on 124 Posts

Derry Girls is on Netflix now..

Watch it!!

White Gold season 2 is a go. (In Series 2, the swindles spread abroad to cover the Spanish timeshare apartment gold rush. Expect to see Ed Westwick in some tight swimming trunks.")

And Julia4Ever - oh man that is some cringe worthy stuff, hilarious - Julia Davis is a genius.. (its in HBO)
Old 12-23-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BDB
Derry Girls is on Netflix now..

Watch it!!
Excellent show. Can't wait for S2.
White Gold season 2 is a go. (In Series 2, the swindles spread abroad to cover the Spanish timeshare apartment gold rush. Expect to see Ed Westwick in some tight swimming trunks.")
Is this confirmed? They've addressed the #metoo business?
And Julia4Ever - oh man that is some cringe worthy stuff, hilarious - Julia Davis is a genius.. (its in HBO)
Assuming you mean Sally4Ever, yep, good stuff! I've got two episodes to go.
Old 12-24-18, 12:50 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 143 Likes on 124 Posts

Lol. Yes. Sally4ever
Old 02-15-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else watched the finale of Catastrophe?

My goodness, what a dark ending. Fitting, but oh so dark.
Old 02-16-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't started the show yet due to having so many things already in my backlog. So has the show ended, or just the current season? If the show ended I might move it up the binge list.
Old 02-16-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

The Amazon (or co-branded) show? We watched a chunk of the first season but wife didn’t like it so we dropped. I think one of the leads had a serious personal/family issue if I’m thinking of the right show.
Old 02-16-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 302 Likes on 222 Posts

Has season 4 been released already? I look on Amazon and it says it will be released on February 12th, which has already passed. But in another spot, it says it will be releases March 15th.
Old 02-16-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't started the show yet due to having so many things already in my backlog. So has the show ended, or just the current season? If the show ended I might move it up the binge list.
It has ended. 4 seasons total, with (I believe) 6 episodes per season.
Originally Posted by Superman07
The Amazon (or co-branded) show? We watched a chunk of the first season but wife didn’t like it so we dropped. I think one of the leads had a serious personal/family issue if I’m thinking of the right show.
Yes, Rob Delaney had a two and a half year old son who passed away at the beginning of 2018.
Originally Posted by movieguru
Has season 4 been released already? I look on Amazon and it says it will be released on February 12th, which has already passed. But in another spot, it says it will be releases March 15th.
I believe it is also an Amazon Prime series, but I've been watching the Channel 4 (UK) episodes.
Old 02-26-19, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone watching the new Steve Coogan series, This Time With Alan Partridge ?

Pretty good first episode with a couple of good laughs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.