Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

General UK TV Show chatter.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

General UK TV Show chatter.

Old 01-11-20, 07:43 PM
  #226  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,398
Received 664 Likes on 498 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

I forgot to mention, there was a Gavin & Stacey Christmas special.

It was quite good, and nice to see all the characters, again, after 10 years.
Old 01-11-20, 11:06 PM
  #227  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,923
Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
IFC is airing Toast of London at the moment. Two episodes per week. Berry appears to be having a blast playing that character.
For those who haven't seen Year Of The Rabbit it also will be coming soon to IFC.
Old 07-01-20, 12:34 PM
  #228  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,219
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

line of duty s1-s4 now on amazon prime, just finished s3, it was fantastic!
Old 02-10-21, 01:10 PM
  #229  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 42,010
Likes: 0
Received 3,559 Likes on 2,417 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
A little more Matt Berry related info, as he confirms he still plans to bring Steven Toast back for a fourth series:
Toast of Tinseltown on the way:
https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/m...od-1234904787/
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 06:39 PM
  #230  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,923
Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Mmmm...mooovie starrr...

Yes I can hear you Quentin Tarantino, with your made-up name, nasally voice and hobgoblin features.
Old 02-11-21, 08:48 AM
  #231  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 19,803
Received 1,216 Likes on 869 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Finally!
Old 02-11-21, 08:48 AM
  #232  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 19,803
Received 1,216 Likes on 869 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post

Yes I can hear you Quentin Tarantino, with your made-up name, nasally voice and hobgoblin features.
"Who?"
Old 02-21-21, 08:52 AM
  #233  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,887
Received 392 Likes on 285 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

New 2021 shows Currently watching through the PBS app:
All Creatures Great and Small (reboot): charming and well acted series about a new veterinarian who has moved to Yorkshire. I've never seen the original 80's series but this one is great.
Miss Scarlet and the Duke: I hadn't heard anything about this one but saw the trailer and it looked interesting. It's about the first female private detective in Victorian London with Kate Phillips from Peaky Blinders playing the lead. Highly recommended.
Old 03-22-21, 09:25 AM
  #234  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,079
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Anybody watch CB Strike? I skimmed the thread but didnít see any references. Itís available on HBO Max and was a BBC / Cinemax collaboration. Apparently based on the JK Rowling pen name books. We didnít realize this until we finished the first 3 episodes.

I looked it up, and appears they done a series for each of the four books published to date.

We really enjoyed it and will finish off the series. Canít say I was familiar with anybody in it, so I canít name drop to intrigue anybody.
Old 03-22-21, 09:52 AM
  #235  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jpcamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 7,496
Received 298 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

I actually just watched CB Strike and was pleasantly surprised by it as well. We watched the available seasons fairly quickly over the span of a week or two and it was a nice distraction. The female lead has her own series where she plays a detective as well but that seems to be only available as an amazon rental for me.
Old 03-22-21, 10:32 AM
  #236  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,079
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I actually just watched CB Strike and was pleasantly surprised by it as well. We watched the available seasons fairly quickly over the span of a week or two and it was a nice distraction. The female lead has her own series where she plays a detective as well but that seems to be only available as an amazon rental for me.
As a spinoff or she just happens to play a detective in another series?
Old 03-22-21, 12:54 PM
  #237  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jpcamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 7,496
Received 298 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
As a spinoff or she just happens to play a detective in another series?
happens to play a detective. Its called the Capture and she plays a DI...
Old 07-21-21, 01:10 PM
  #238  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 42,010
Likes: 0
Received 3,559 Likes on 2,417 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

I’ve wanted to check out MI-5 for a few years now and I’m finally digging in after getting Britbox’s latest deal. I’ve watched the first two season, but I’m not totally drawn in. Is every episode basically self contained? Do later seasons become more serialized?
Old 07-21-21, 01:42 PM
  #239  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,079
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Iíve wanted to check out MI-5 for a few years now and Iím finally digging in after getting Britboxís latest deal. Iíve watched the first two season, but Iím not totally drawn in. Is every episode basically self contained? Do later seasons become more serialized?
I own the first 5, but petered out. Honestly not sure how many seasons it went for. I assume it wrapped up. As I recall there were some character threads pulled through, but donít think you get a full season story ala 24.

I think I quit because some of the character actions were too unrealistic. Plus there were some big events, but they went on as if nothing happened.
Old 07-21-21, 01:49 PM
  #240  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 8,327
Received 503 Likes on 395 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Anybody watch CB Strike? I skimmed the thread but didnít see any references. Itís available on HBO Max and was a BBC / Cinemax collaboration. Apparently based on the JK Rowling pen name books. We didnít realize this until we finished the first 3 episodes.

I looked it up, and appears they done a series for each of the four books published to date.

We really enjoyed it and will finish off the series. Canít say I was familiar with anybody in it, so I canít name drop to intrigue anybody.
C.B. Strike has it's own thread on here, but not many people watch it. I love the series, but I also love the book series. It's one of the few book series that I actually preorder and pay full price for the books.
The following users liked this post:
Superman07 (07-21-21)
Old 07-21-21, 01:54 PM
  #241  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,838
Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I own the first 5, but petered out. Honestly not sure how many seasons it went for. I assume it wrapped up. As I recall there were some character threads pulled through, but donít think you get a full season story ala 24.

I think I quit because some of the character actions were too unrealistic. Plus there were some big events, but they went on as if nothing happened.
I recall renting the first season of MI-5 and being blown away by the season-ending cliffhanger. I was a bit disappointed when the next season walked it back. I lost track of it somewhere along the way. I know there was a film continuation with Kit Harrington.
Old 07-21-21, 04:09 PM
  #242  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,079
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I recall renting the first season of MI-5 and being blown away by the season-ending cliffhanger. I was a bit disappointed when the next season walked it back. I lost track of it somewhere along the way. I know there was a film continuation with Kit Harrington.
I think I ran across that film, but didnít realize it was related to the series.
Old 07-21-21, 04:27 PM
  #243  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,838
Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I think I ran across that film, but didnít realize it was related to the series.
Peter Firth returns as his series character in the film.
Old 10-12-21, 05:27 PM
  #244  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,079
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Not sure why, but I get a lot of recommendations/clips for 8 out of 10 Cats in my YT feed. Can somebody explain the premise and are episodes available anywhere? Most of the clips are really funny.
Old 12-19-21, 09:20 PM
  #245  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 42,010
Likes: 0
Received 3,559 Likes on 2,417 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
andicus (12-19-21), Boondock Saint (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 11:34 PM
  #246  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,398
Received 664 Likes on 498 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

^Awesome! I was not aware that this was happening.
Old 12-20-21, 03:21 PM
  #247  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,923
Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

I knew it was coming, but it's been so long it feels like I didn't. It's been 6 years(!) since the last season aired.

Starts January 4 in the UK (BBC2).
Old 12-20-21, 08:07 PM
  #248  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 777 Likes on 581 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Iíve wanted to check out MI-5 for a few years now and Iím finally digging in after getting Britboxís latest deal. Iíve watched the first two season, but Iím not totally drawn in. Is every episode basically self contained? Do later seasons become more serialized?
Resurrecting to say that MI-5 is one of my favorite shows from the UK. It had its ups and downs, and really, with the cast being changed so often (except Peter Firth) kept a sense of realism in that being in something like this service yielded a relatively short career, or life. It went for 10 seasons and the last few definitely had some serial aspects to it.

Another show my wife and I got into is Ghosts. We found out through the US version, then decided to check out the BBC one since the US one is on its mid-season break. Thankfully, both are excellent series, and the US version really just keeps the premise, everything else is different. Both have their own vibes and have different pacing, which is nice. Very well done shows so far.
Old 12-20-21, 08:42 PM
  #249  
Senior Member
 
Boondock Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Burbank, California
Posts: 958
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Resurrecting to say that MI-5 is one of my favorite shows from the UK. It had its ups and downs, and really, with the cast being changed so often (except Peter Firth) kept a sense of realism in that being in something like this service yielded a relatively short career, or life. It went for 10 seasons and the last few definitely had some serial aspects to it.


Loved MI-5. Loved the rotating cast/changing of the status quo. Although, never got around to the last two seasons. Or the movie. Should do that.

Feel like it's a show that could be revived. Wouldn't mind at all.
Old 12-20-21, 08:52 PM
  #250  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,398
Received 664 Likes on 498 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I knew it was coming, but it's been so long it feels like I didn't. It's been 6 years(!) since the last season aired.

Starts January 4 in the UK (BBC2).
The timing is good, for me. I only watched Toast Of London a few months ago, somehow having missed it, originally.
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Resurrecting to say that MI-5 is one of my favorite shows from the UK. It had its ups and downs, and really, with the cast being changed so often (except Peter Firth) kept a sense of realism in that being in something like this service yielded a relatively short career, or life. It went for 10 seasons and the last few definitely had some serial aspects to it.

Another show my wife and I got into is Ghosts. We found out through the US version, then decided to check out the BBC one since the US one is on its mid-season break. Thankfully, both are excellent series, and the US version really just keeps the premise, everything else is different. Both have their own vibes and have different pacing, which is nice. Very well done shows so far.
UK Ghosts is really good. I'm about to watch the latest series.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.