Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

General UK TV Show chatter.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts
Re: General UK TV Show chatter.

I forgot to mention, there was a Gavin & Stacey Christmas special.

It was quite good, and nice to see all the characters, again, after 10 years.
Old 01-11-20, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
IFC is airing Toast of London at the moment. Two episodes per week. Berry appears to be having a blast playing that character.
For those who haven't seen Year Of The Rabbit it also will be coming soon to IFC.
Old 07-01-20, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

line of duty s1-s4 now on amazon prime, just finished s3, it was fantastic!
Old 02-10-21, 01:10 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
A little more Matt Berry related info, as he confirms he still plans to bring Steven Toast back for a fourth series:
Toast of Tinseltown on the way:
https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/m...od-1234904787/
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mmmm...mooovie starrr...

Yes I can hear you Quentin Tarantino, with your made-up name, nasally voice and hobgoblin features.
Old 02-11-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Finally!
Old 02-11-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Yes I can hear you Quentin Tarantino, with your made-up name, nasally voice and hobgoblin features.
"Who?"
Old 02-21-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

New 2021 shows Currently watching through the PBS app:
All Creatures Great and Small (reboot): charming and well acted series about a new veterinarian who has moved to Yorkshire. I've never seen the original 80's series but this one is great.
Miss Scarlet and the Duke: I hadn't heard anything about this one but saw the trailer and it looked interesting. It's about the first female private detective in Victorian London with Kate Phillips from Peaky Blinders playing the lead. Highly recommended.
Old 03-22-21, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Anybody watch CB Strike? I skimmed the thread but didn’t see any references. It’s available on HBO Max and was a BBC / Cinemax collaboration. Apparently based on the JK Rowling pen name books. We didn’t realize this until we finished the first 3 episodes.

I looked it up, and appears they done a series for each of the four books published to date.

We really enjoyed it and will finish off the series. Can’t say I was familiar with anybody in it, so I can’t name drop to intrigue anybody.
Old 03-22-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

I actually just watched CB Strike and was pleasantly surprised by it as well. We watched the available seasons fairly quickly over the span of a week or two and it was a nice distraction. The female lead has her own series where she plays a detective as well but that seems to be only available as an amazon rental for me.
Old 03-22-21, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I actually just watched CB Strike and was pleasantly surprised by it as well. We watched the available seasons fairly quickly over the span of a week or two and it was a nice distraction. The female lead has her own series where she plays a detective as well but that seems to be only available as an amazon rental for me.
As a spinoff or she just happens to play a detective in another series?
Old 03-22-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
As a spinoff or she just happens to play a detective in another series?
happens to play a detective. Its called the Capture and she plays a DI...
Old 07-21-21, 01:10 PM

I’ve wanted to check out MI-5 for a few years now and I’m finally digging in after getting Britbox’s latest deal. I’ve watched the first two season, but I’m not totally drawn in. Is every episode basically self contained? Do later seasons become more serialized?
Old 07-21-21, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’ve wanted to check out MI-5 for a few years now and I’m finally digging in after getting Britbox’s latest deal. I’ve watched the first two season, but I’m not totally drawn in. Is every episode basically self contained? Do later seasons become more serialized?
I own the first 5, but petered out. Honestly not sure how many seasons it went for. I assume it wrapped up. As I recall there were some character threads pulled through, but don’t think you get a full season story ala 24.

I think I quit because some of the character actions were too unrealistic. Plus there were some big events, but they went on as if nothing happened.
Old 07-21-21, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Anybody watch CB Strike? I skimmed the thread but didn’t see any references. It’s available on HBO Max and was a BBC / Cinemax collaboration. Apparently based on the JK Rowling pen name books. We didn’t realize this until we finished the first 3 episodes.

I looked it up, and appears they done a series for each of the four books published to date.

We really enjoyed it and will finish off the series. Can’t say I was familiar with anybody in it, so I can’t name drop to intrigue anybody.
C.B. Strike has it's own thread on here, but not many people watch it. I love the series, but I also love the book series. It's one of the few book series that I actually preorder and pay full price for the books.
The following users liked this post:
Superman07 (07-21-21)
Old 07-21-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

I own the first 5, but petered out. Honestly not sure how many seasons it went for. I assume it wrapped up. As I recall there were some character threads pulled through, but don’t think you get a full season story ala 24.

I think I quit because some of the character actions were too unrealistic. Plus there were some big events, but they went on as if nothing happened.
I recall renting the first season of MI-5 and being blown away by the season-ending cliffhanger. I was a bit disappointed when the next season walked it back. I lost track of it somewhere along the way. I know there was a film continuation with Kit Harrington.
Old 07-21-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DWilson
I recall renting the first season of MI-5 and being blown away by the season-ending cliffhanger. I was a bit disappointed when the next season walked it back. I lost track of it somewhere along the way. I know there was a film continuation with Kit Harrington.
I think I ran across that film, but didn’t realize it was related to the series.
Old 07-21-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

I think I ran across that film, but didn’t realize it was related to the series.
Peter Firth returns as his series character in the film.
Old 10-12-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure why, but I get a lot of recommendations/clips for 8 out of 10 Cats in my YT feed. Can somebody explain the premise and are episodes available anywhere? Most of the clips are really funny.
Old 12-19-21, 09:20 PM

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
andicus (12-19-21), Boondock Saint (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Awesome! I was not aware that this was happening.
Old 12-20-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew it was coming, but it's been so long it feels like I didn't. It's been 6 years(!) since the last season aired.

Starts January 4 in the UK (BBC2).
Old 12-20-21, 08:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Resurrecting to say that MI-5 is one of my favorite shows from the UK. It had its ups and downs, and really, with the cast being changed so often (except Peter Firth) kept a sense of realism in that being in something like this service yielded a relatively short career, or life. It went for 10 seasons and the last few definitely had some serial aspects to it.

Another show my wife and I got into is Ghosts. We found out through the US version, then decided to check out the BBC one since the US one is on its mid-season break. Thankfully, both are excellent series, and the US version really just keeps the premise, everything else is different. Both have their own vibes and have different pacing, which is nice. Very well done shows so far.
Old 12-20-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Resurrecting to say that MI-5 is one of my favorite shows from the UK. It had its ups and downs, and really, with the cast being changed so often (except Peter Firth) kept a sense of realism in that being in something like this service yielded a relatively short career, or life. It went for 10 seasons and the last few definitely had some serial aspects to it.

Loved MI-5. Loved the rotating cast/changing of the status quo. Although, never got around to the last two seasons. Or the movie. Should do that.

Feel like it's a show that could be revived. Wouldn't mind at all.
Old 12-20-21, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew it was coming, but it's been so long it feels like I didn't. It's been 6 years(!) since the last season aired.

Starts January 4 in the UK (BBC2).
The timing is good, for me. I only watched Toast Of London a few months ago, somehow having missed it, originally.
Originally Posted by E Unit

Another show my wife and I got into is Ghosts. We found out through the US version, then decided to check out the BBC one since the US one is on its mid-season break. Thankfully, both are excellent series, and the US version really just keeps the premise, everything else is different. Both have their own vibes and have different pacing, which is nice. Very well done shows so far.
UK Ghosts is really good. I'm about to watch the latest series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.