Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Live Free or Die" -- 7/15/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- Season Premiere -- "Live Free or Die" -- 7/15/12

Someone on another board mentioned that the Laptop in question was a Samsung model which should have had a solid state drive, thus not affected by the magnet. Not sure if that is true or not of that laptop or if it will even be brought up again.

BTW, I believe AMC sent out the first two episodes to reviewers so that is probably where the if leaked about next week's episode. VG also stated in an interview that the writers tried to think of as many loose ends from s4 as they could and will address them one at a time this season.

So far we have:

Video Camera - Laptop
Money Trail - Cayman Island account #s

Anyone else think of any other loose ends?
Old 07-16-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Someone on another board mentioned that the Laptop in question was a Samsung model which should have had a solid state drive, thus not affected by the magnet. Not sure if that is true or not of that laptop or if it will even be brought up again.

BTW, I believe AMC sent out the first two episodes to reviewers so that is probably where the if leaked about next week's episode. VG also stated in an interview that the writers tried to think of as many loose ends from s4 as they could and will address them one at a time this season.

So far we have:

Video Camera - Laptop

I thought it was a Dell, not a Samsung.
Old 07-16-12, 09:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

The computer Jesse was holding when they tested the magnet was a Dell.
Gus' laptop was a Samsung.

And yeah, my first thought was that it would have an SSD... but I doubt it. I think the Cayman account # is more important to the cops at this point.
Old 07-16-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Since the next episode is named "Madrigal", I think that we can expect some really angry German bad guys this season. Maybe that's why Mike was pissed and worried.
Old 07-16-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I'm surprised that
Spoiler:
Ted woke up. From the accident, I assumed he was dead and Saul made him disappear.
Old 07-16-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-16-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDerek
That's awesome.
Old 07-16-12, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no idea it was 52 when i watched the episode....i thought it was a mushroom cloud.
Old 07-16-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up, but the episode title "Live Free or Die" is the New Hampshire state motto (i only know this because of a Carlin routine). Manly mentioning it as it seems most episode titles do have their hidden meanings
Old 07-16-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'm surprised nobody has brought this up, but the episode title "Live Free or Die" is the New Hampshire state motto (i only know this because of a Carlin routine). Manly mentioning it as it seems most episode titles do have their hidden meanings
Wait......You mean to tell me that the same quote that is on a New Hampshire license plate, is also their state motto?
Old 07-16-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume the first scene will either occur in episode 8 or 16.

Walt disappears for awhile and comes back to tie up a loose end. I wonder if his family (or Hank) is still alive and well at that point.
Old 07-16-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AVP77
Something nobody seems to have mentioned yet, I really loved the scene of Hank wandering through the burnt-up lab on his cane in that protective suit, great atmosphere, felt like an astronaut exploring an alien environment.

The magnet scheme, while pretty cool, kind of took me out of the show a bit, because I know that most modern hard drives are not anywhere near as unstable as some magnetic tape. It kind of bothered me that they didn't even test it to see that the hard drive data was damaged at all, just that the screen started getting screwy? (nevermind that data recovery is pretty good at accessing stuff that a regular OS wouldn't be able to read)

Just a nitpick, but at least they didn't show that the scheme succeeded.

edit: pretty good article about it: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407192,00.asp
Well, the laptop hit the truck pretty hard, but they could have tested it beforehand and we just didn't see it.

My thought was, what if Gus had a SSD in there? He could certainly afford it.
Old 07-16-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

What if Gus used Cloud Storage?
Old 07-16-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know if it was symbolic of where he is plot wise but thought it was worth noting that on his 50th bday Walt ate the fake Bacon Skyler served him while he passed on the real stuff at Dennys.
Old 07-16-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX

So far we have:

Video Camera - Laptop

These ones were resolved in episode one:
Where is Mike?
Ted is alive.
Walt faked out Jesse with the cigarette/Lily of the Valley by having Saul/Huell take the cigarette from Jesse.
Hank is able to walk unassisted but with a cane.
Old 07-16-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I assume the first scene will either occur in episode 8 or 16.

Walt disappears for awhile and comes back to tie up a loose end. I wonder if his family (or Hank) is still alive and well at that point.
Since the 1st scene reveals that Walt turned 52, it has to be from the series finale. If I'm not mistaken, the events from season 1 through season 4 take place over the course of 1 year. Walt even mentioned it in one of the last episodes from season 4. Since episode 1 takes place moments after the finale, Walt still must be 51.
Old 07-16-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Since the 1st scene reveals that Walt turned 52, it has to be from the series finale. If I'm not mistaken, the events from season 1 through season 4 take place over the course of 1 year. Walt even mentioned it in one of the last episodes from season 4. Since episode 1 takes place moments after the finale, Walt still must be 51.
They could time skip at some point. They brought the time line up a lot in Season 4 (less noticeable if you watched week to week, very noticeable if you marathon it)
Old 07-16-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
What if Gus used Cloud Storage?
Well, I don't think he'd trust something so incriminating to a service like SkyDrive, but maybe a VPN tunnel to a known (shady) server.
Old 07-16-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments and just say 'wow'. No show has the same cringworthy awesomeness that BB does. Walt's line of "Because I said so." kind of gave me chills, thinking back to how he was before and how he is now.

The wait until next Sunday night is going to be brutal.
Old 07-16-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
OMG, that was awesome.

So glad to be joining in on the final season.

After going through the DVDs/BD and learning that Gilligan has used the opening shot/sequence of episode 1 as a setup for the end, I'm going to guess the Denny's sequence is related to the series finale a year from now.
And I'm going to guess you are wrong. I think it's going to be related to THIS segment's finale. Not the series.
Old 07-17-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcfly
The wait until next Sunday night is going to be brutal.
Yea. I watched season 1 live and the seasons 2, 3 and 4 all within a week. I should have looked away for a year and then watched them all at once.
Old 07-17-12, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by AVP77
Something nobody seems to have mentioned yet, I really loved the scene of Hank wandering through the burnt-up lab on his cane in that protective suit, great atmosphere, felt like an astronaut exploring an alien environment.
AMC's website has a bunch of pictures from episode one, and there's a picture of a scene that I think was not a part of this broadcast of episode one. I'll describe the picture in case the link stops working. It shows Hank in a DEA jacket standing in the doorway of Gus' office inside the Los Pollos Hermanos restaurant. And, in contrast to him inside the burned out meth lab walking around with the aide of a cane, in the picture he is not using a cane.
http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleri...ode-1-hank.php

Last edited by Matt_; 07-17-12 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 01:32 AM

When Walt handed the Dennys waitress his driver's license to prove his eligibility for a free meal at Dennys, she called him Mr. Lambert.

However, when I paused the scene with the DVR, it appeared that the driver's license for "Mr. Lambert" had a DMV photo of Walt still looking like Heisenberg -- shaved head and goatee.

If I'm right about how the DMV photo looked, then Walt had that fake driver's license made at least a few months prior to stopping by Dennys ?
Old 07-17-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matt_
AMC's website has a bunch of pictures from episode one, and there's a picture of a scene that I think was not a part of this broadcast of episode one. I'll describe the picture in case the link stops working. It shows Hank in a DEA jacket standing in the doorway of Gus' office inside the Los Pollos Hermanos restaurant.
http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleri...ode-1-hank.php
Well, in the episode they showed Hank in the office watching them tag the laptop. That's just a production photo from when they were shooting it.

And I see that others thought of the SSD before I did. I just skimmed the thread and missed that.
Old 07-17-12, 02:35 AM

One poster mentioned that it was nice to see Jim Beaver again. I couldn't place him. The Denny's talk came and I remembered I missed and forgot to watch the open. That's how enthralling this show is.

Went back and saw it. I am complete now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.