Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent - Stern Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: America's Got Talent - Stern Edition

Oh no PTC must hate what howard is doing...oh my god..he is judging and be respectful..what a bad guy!! My lord
Old 05-14-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts

Show was good. I liked that they didn't spend a whole lot time giving back story on auditioners and when they did show them getting ready to go onstage it was quick. Not a lot of filler.

Stern fits in well. I like him on the radio and hate seeing him in settings like this because I frankly think he comes off really contrived and hokey when he's on TV. I'd be watching even if he wasn't judging.

The air harp guy was the best. I'd have put through the pin cusion guy. How is that not a million dollar act? Don't people go for gross stuff like that?

That Spiderman movies looks real ugly.
Old 05-14-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Fa Fa Fooey.

I love Stern although haven't listened in A few years because I don't pay for Sat radio.

I was watching TNT and just saw a Vitaminwater commercial and then"sexy sax guy" was in the commercial.

For those that don't like Stern that's fine but don't use you preconceived notion of what Stern is and judge him on that. He has a huge ego but this is broadcast tv he isn't going to be throwing baloney on woman's butts and cursing.

I thought I saw his dad on a preview clip so I guess his dad will be on too. I have not watched all of tonight yet so not sure if he was on tonight.
Old 05-14-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

his dad will be on a later episode. when they did a NY taping.

that earth harp was fucking awesome.

Last edited by Deftones; 05-14-12 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

So far, they've showed Melrose Larry Green in one of the crowd shots outside and Beth and John Stamos in the audience. What other wack packers did people see? Also Ronnie in the elevator scene.

Also, was that father/daughter singing group in a commercial? I swear I've seen them in a commercial before.

Light show thing was pretty sweet, too. That's something I could very easily see as a Las Vegas act.

Last edited by Deftones; 05-15-12 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
What talent did Piers Morgan have to be a judge? He was a newspaper guy from England who is friends with Simon Cowell. That's why he got the job.

Sharon Osborne is really mainly known as the wife of Ozzie and screwing over other musicians.
fixed.
Old 05-15-12, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Are we gonna get this in every thread for AGT?
Count on it!
Old 05-15-12, 07:12 AM

I am not a big fan of Howard on radio. However he was ok for this first episode of AGT. Of course to be perfectly honest, though I watch AGT, it is not my most anticipated show either.
Old 05-15-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love how respectful Stern has been, and he is more engaging with the contestants than the other three have been. Helps that he doesn't mind touching them.
And he hits that X as quick as I would. Think the guy is pretty honest.
The fact that he is being straight up has to be really bothering all the people who wanted to boycott this family show.
Old 05-15-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

For my first time watching AGT I have to admit that I was entertained. I liked how they focused on the actual talent and not just one bad act after another, they seem to have listened to Stern and are taking this task seriously.

Can't wait to hear what the PTC complains about this year, no way can they sit back and keep quiet.
Old 05-15-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never really watched this show other than clips, but I'm going to give it a shot tonight because of Stern. I looked it up on my DVR and it has this coming on Oxygen from 6-8, before it airs on NBC from 8-10. Is that actually the case?
Old 05-15-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I have never really watched this show other than clips, but I'm going to give it a shot tonight because of Stern. I looked it up on my DVR and it has this coming on Oxygen from 6-8, before it airs on NBC from 8-10. Is that actually the case?
This airs twice per week. Oxygen is owned by NBC and they are re-airing last night's episode.
Old 05-15-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
This airs twice per week. Oxygen is owned by NBC and they are re-airing last night's episode.
Ugh, stupid me. I thought the first episode was tonight. I guess I should have read more of the thread before asking. Thanks.
Old 05-15-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I have always loathed these type of shows, but am watching because of Howard and I have to say the show was actually a lot of fun.
Old 05-15-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

First time watching this show. In the past, I have seen parts of it if I was flipping through the channels.

However last night was really fun. I had my finger on the FF button ready to go through all the back stage build up BS, but surprisingly they stuck with showing some decent acts and cut out all the back stage build up / storys.

The format was quick, and it looks like Howard has given some life to the judging panel.
Old 05-15-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
However last night was really fun. I had my finger on the FF button ready to go through all the back stage build up BS, but surprisingly they stuck with showing some decent acts and cut out all the back stage build up / storys.

The format was quick, and it looks like Howard has given some life to the judging panel.
It was quick. They almost used montages for all the bad acts instead of dwelling on them. I liked that.
Old 05-15-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Ratings are down 16% from last year. Curious how much Howard is a factor or people just tired of the show.
Old 05-15-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Ratings are down 16% from last year. Curious how much Howard is a factor or people just tired of the show.
it wasn't going up against Dancing With the Stars last year since it premiered in late May. Look for ratings to go up once that's over.
Old 05-15-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

hmm.. I wonder if any of the positive buzz from last night will help boost ratings from new viewers / the Stern haters who don't want to give him a shot
Old 05-15-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
hmm.. I wonder if any of the positive buzz from last night will help boost ratings from new viewers / the Stern haters who don't want to give him a shot
100%

I think ratings will continue to grow as we get further into the summer and word spreads that this isn't just another reality show. Howard has a way of getting people to talk about his projects, I expect this to be no different.
Old 05-15-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
What talent did any of the judges have? Stern's been the biggest radio personality of all time, creating a new broadcasting style that changed the face of radio forever.

Are your kids going into this with preconceived notions of who Howard Stern is? Why don't you let them watch the show and decide if they like it or not?

Howard has been a legitimate fan of AGT since day one, he's always talking about it. He's not going into this show to do what he did on the radio in the 80's, he's a changed man.
Very good point about the "Talent to Judge" part.

But, I am still not a HS fan at all, so I will not watch the show.

NBC made their decision by putting him on the show, now I get to make my decision to not watch the show.
Old 05-15-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Very good point about the "Talent to Judge" part.

But, I am still not a HS fan at all, so I will not watch the show.

NBC made their decision by putting him on the show, now I get to make my decision to not watch the show.
I understand, you don't have to watch but why would you prevent your kids from watching something they love? It's not like I would stop my kids from watching The Santa Clause just because I don't like drug runners.
Old 05-15-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Breath of fresh air guy was only impersonating Joe Cocker.
Old 05-15-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Contortionist was pretty impressive as well. I like that Stern is being respectful, honest, and serious with his judging. I also think the ratings slump is due to Dancing With the Stars being on opposite, which Stern expressed concern about yesterday. I have to agree that they should have waited an extra week or so before premiering, but the long run is what matters, and with not much else out there this summer, I see it gaining momentum.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 05-16-12 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-15-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They put through some bad acts tonight, all the dance groups, the painter and rapping granny. None were that good. Even the opera guy was good, not great. I did like the balancing act, he's got to start performing in a snake pit. The impressionist had some good voices and I liked how he could manipulate his face to look like some of the subjects, Vince Vaughn and Charlie Sheen come to mind, but the material was weak.

What's my motivation?
15 million

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.