TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent - Stern Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent - Stern Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Vegas isn't a family destination like it was promoted to be in years past. Plus, this is at the Venitian. Not a family friendly resort really. I'm willing to bet they are out of Vegas in a few months.
good point. However you still need a few "family friendly" shows for those families who do roll into town, or for couples who get a kick out of animal acts. Yes the Venetian is a more upscale hotel not one for the cooler toting family.. I guess only time will tell if people will go there to see this show.. I think most people go to different hotels to see their shows - that is what gets people through the door to spend some $$ on the property.
Old 09-14-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dogs would make for a perfect family friendly afternoon show in vegas, not a headlining act.
Old 09-14-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I can't believe the dogs won either. I just don't understand it.
Did you vote?

I think that with programs like this, there's a disconnect between people who watch and people who participate. The kind of people who will vote on these programs are the kind who are inclined to vote for the dogs.

It's like on American Idol, how the WGWG has won the past five or six seasons.
Old 09-14-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I watched this season because Stern was on. After all that time invested I was stuck watching a stupid dog act win the entire thing. I can't believe an act I couldn't sit through without fast forwarding is supposedly "a million dollar act." I got to watch some other entertaining acts along the way, but having a freaking dog act win the whole thing was a big kick in the nuts at the end.
Old 09-14-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The only act I may have put above the dog act was the painter. The comedian was really unfunny, cheesy and can't seem to provide a different delivery for each punchline. The dancers were good, but didn't do much for me. I must admit, I liked the dog act. At least it looks like they put some time and effort into what they did. I hate dogs normally, but I liked the obvious effort that the dad and kid put into these rescued animals and also just dug their attitude and graciousness. I watch a lot of these reality competition shows and am much more interested in the journey to the finale than whoever wins the stupid thing. Feeling ripped off because your act didn't win and you 'invested all of this precious time into this season, blah blah' just comes off as baby-ish and goofy.
Old 09-15-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The only solace I can have with some dogs winning is that the million dollars is paid out in yearly installments over 40 years. So $25,000 a year should pay for dog food.
Old 09-17-12, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dog act never should have been in the finals. The only reason was because Howard and Sharon are dog lovers. They did the exact same act every time they came out on stage. They only added one new thing each time with a new dog. The judges always stressed (especially Howard) to always keep it fresh and different. He never said that to the these guys. He just clapped and said how great they were. Dog people voted them through. No way they ever become a Vegas act. Doesn't happen.

William Close (Harp guy) and Tom Cotter will have careers from this. Remember had badly the other comedians failed? Tom always came through even with the recycled jokes. He's just naturally funny, very comfortable on stage and quick-witted.
Old 09-21-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I had some family matters last week so I'm late to this party but...

WHAT. THE. FUCK?

Fucking dogs? Ugh.

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Wow, really? This was my first time watching this show from beginning to end and while there were some lacking parts throughout the season, overall I was entertained until now. While I know that everyone has their favorites and were rooting for certain acts, the winner of this season not only underwhelmed me, but soured me on the show as a whole. It is akin to watching a movie or tv series that was good until the ending where it just craps on everything that came before it.

My top three would have been William Close, David Garibaldi and Tom Cotter. Living in Vegas I would say that I would pay money to see these three acts on a given night. The dogs would have placed fifth or sixth for me. And before it starts, I have and love my dog Maverick. However, I would not pay to see a show involving dogs. It seems like a side act or intro to the main act, but nothing special or headlining. Call me an elitist, but this just goes to show you that the majority of the tv watching populace are just idiots of the lowest common denominator. I guess I should just take the show as a popularity contest and realize that the most deserving doesn't win, the one that allows you to turn off your brain does.

//end rant.
Wordy but well put. I also agree with your top 3.

Originally Posted by TerryW
William Close (Harp guy) and Tom Cotter will have careers from this. Remember had badly the other comedians failed? Tom always came through even with the recycled jokes. He's just naturally funny, very comfortable on stage and quick-witted.
I said the same thing to my wife a few weeks ago. These two will be fine. This has already propelled their careers further than being stuck in Vegas would. However giving Close a million to further develop and polish his act makes a helluva lot more sense than wasting it on dogs.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
having a freaking dog act win the whole thing was a big kick in the nuts at the end.
Speaking of, I think I'd rather have Horse winning the whole thing than the fucking dogs and I hated Horse.
Old 09-21-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Lisa Lampinelli was on Stern this week and she said Cotter is actually very dirty in his comedy club acts. She also was planning to be the roaster in his thing the last night, but they switched to Joan Rivers late in the game.
Old 12-03-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So Howard announced today that he will be back on AGT for the 2013 season. Ugh...means I will probably end up wasting my time watching it again next summer.

Who should they get to replace Sharon? I think that Jillian (Barberie) Reynolds would be good based on her Stern association but she's probably not well enough known nationally. Chelsea Handler would be my top choice. She would actually bring the honest brutality that Stern was supposed to bring to the show. Plus she already has a relationship with NBC/Universal.
Old 12-03-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts

Wow, I'm surprised. The way Howard was talking about the AGT experience the past couple of months, I thought he was sowing the seeds of sour grapes. I fully expected them to get three all new judges. Not sure if I'll be back though. I watched this season and enjoyed it, but I think one season might be enough for me.
Old 12-03-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

I think he's sticking around because this will be his post-Sirius job. He wants to ride that gravy train for all it is worth.
Old 12-04-12, 01:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I tuned in to see Howard but gave up mid-season. The show is SO BAD. The editing renders something genuinely diverting into something completely unwatchable.
Old 12-04-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't mind the editing. The only thing I hated was that it was dragged out for about 3 episodes too long. Well, that and giving the prize to fucking dogs.
Old 03-04-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Mel B and Heidi Klum have joined Howie and Howard to form a 4 person judging table. Auditions start this week in New Orleans.
Old 03-04-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How do you break a tie with 4 judges?
Old 03-04-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm sure Howard will want to break the tie since he considers himself to be "America's Judge". Of course he should...just because he is the only judge that is actually American.

How do they break ties on X-Factor or American Idol with four judges?