Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Materials

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

Originally Posted by Groucho
Typical non-reader response: "Who?"
theon greyjoy, the ward/hostage that grew up in the stark household, and is with robb currently. He wants to go back to his home islands and get the family fleet of ships to help with the invasion of kinds landing.
Old 04-04-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 2 Spoilers Thread -- Book Discussion and Other Material

When you do that, he wins.
Old 04-04-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
When you do that, he wins.
Old 04-04-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
I seriously can't wait for the non-readers to flip their shit over Theon this season.
and yes, that is going to be awesome.
Old 04-04-12, 11:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
theon greyjoy, the ward/hostage that grew up in the stark household, and is with robb currently. He wants to go back to his home islands and get the family fleet of ships to help with the invasion of kinds landing.
I know who he is. But I suspect most non-readers do not, since he was largely a background character in Season 1. A lot of people think he's another Stark brother, or mix him up with Jon.
Old 04-04-12, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I know who he is. But I suspect most non-readers do not, since he was largely a background character in Season 1. A lot of people think he's another Stark brother, or mix him up with Jon.
kinda what I was thinking...Theon? oh yeah, the background brother/not a bastard.

my .02 cents. I think this string will be helpful with hidden spoilers for future events. I'm curious in seeing the changes/differences between book and show. I'm 100 pages into Book 2. started reading too late before Season 2 started.
Old 04-08-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've read all the books over the years. I need to re-read them... I just don't remember what happens when. There is a particular scene at a feast that is one of my all-time favorites from the books. I hope we don't have to wait forever for that one!

Favorite main characters - Tyrion, Jon, Danearys
Old 04-08-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I recommend A Wiki of Ice and Fire as a good source of information.

I'm using it to fill in a lot of backstory (and, man, would a prequel miniseries be awesome!) while carefully trying to avoid reading any spoilers of events that happen in "A Clash of Kings" or later books. (For example, here's the backstory on Lyanna Stark, the dead sister of Ned Stark that King Robert Baratheon loved.)
Old 04-08-12, 11:51 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

The episode titles for the rest of the season have been released.

03 - "What is Dead May Never Die"
04 - "Garden of Bones"
05 - "The Ghost of Harrenhal"
06 - "The Old Gods and the New"
07 - "A Man Without Honor"
08 - "The Prince of Winterfell"
09 - "Blackwater"
10 - "Valar Morghulis"
Old 04-08-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by leeta
I've read all the books over the years. I need to re-read them... I just don't remember what happens when. There is a particular scene at a feast that is one of my all-time favorites from the books. I hope we don't have to wait forever for that one!

Favorite main characters - Tyrion, Jon, Danearys
That scene is a little past mid-way in book three, so we should see it next year. But it could be the finale depending on what they focus on. Those kids won't stay young for long so the story may need to be sped up to facilitate that, but they risk running out of published material if they go too fast.

If they did roughly one book per season, they'd catch up in 2015. 2016 if GRRM can get the next volume out in a reasonable time. I don't expect volume 7 (or 8) to be published before the show catches up, however.
Old 04-08-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

If they did roughly one book per season, they'd catch up in 2015. 2016 if GRRM can get the next volume out in a reasonable time. I don't expect volume 7 (or 8) to be published before the show catches up, however.
GRRM has already said that if the show goes by the "1 Season = 1 Book" formula, it will pass him before he finishes his book series. I expect that means he'll have the 6th book out in time for the show to adapt, but not the 7th book.
Old 04-08-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's no way book 3 will fit into a single season. I'm guessing it gets split.
Old 04-08-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Grrm and D&D both on record want 2 seasons for book 3
Old 04-08-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been a while since I read book 2, but I don't recall a conversation between him & any of the whores like he had in the show tonight with roz (the 'be happy or I'll have you murdered' speech). 2nd week in a row I didn't like what they did with him.
Old 04-08-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since neither were POV characters we obviously never read it, but was it ever insinuated that Renly and/or Loras were gay in the books?... I don't remember it, curious where it will come in to play in the show going forward, perhaps Renly will be unable to consummate his marriage?
Old 04-08-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't remember if it was out-right said, but it's heavily insinuated many times.
Old 04-08-12, 11:11 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Bronn as the head of the City Watch could be an interesting change. Hopefully the shows makes it to Dance so we to see one of my favorite scenes in the series

Book 5 spoiler
Spoiler:
Jon cutting off Slynt's head and the nod of approval from Stannis

It's been awhile since I read Clash, but I don't remember Stannis ever having this sense of self doubt that they've given him.

CGI Ghost looked awful.
Old 04-09-12, 08:04 AM

I hated the second episode. Too many bizarre changes from the book and too much sex. Bleh.
Old 04-09-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I also picked up on giving Littlefinger POV stuff that wasn't in the books. Not that they need to follow the books to the page, but I think we get enough about him from his actions without getting gratuitous brothel footage. I'm also guessing they showed Stannis humping Melisandre as a possible explanation of the shadow when it appears. I have seen a brief shot of what appears to be Mel giving birth and while the scene worked in the book, I fear that it might look more like she is having the ultimate queef as opposed to working magic on TV.
Old 04-09-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
Since neither were POV characters we obviously never read it, but was it ever insinuated that Renly and/or Loras were gay in the books?... I don't remember it, curious where it will come in to play in the show going forward, perhaps Renly will be unable to consummate his marriage?
It was never outright stated, but it was heavily insinuated. I missed it on my initial read, but when I re-read the books after watching the first season it was painfully obvious. Lots of snide jokes about the two of them, threats to shove a sword "where only Loras has been", etc. It seemed like only Brienne and myself were oblivious.
Old 04-09-12, 01:06 PM
FM

Don't forget that Renly's guards wore the rainbow cloak. Seems like a tongue-in-cheek reference to his preferences.
Old 04-10-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I just finished the part in Storm of Swords where
Spoiler:
Commander Mormont bites it along with Craster
I have now resigned myself to the fact that if there are any characters with unresolved feelings toward family members in Martin's universe, they most likely won't have them reconciled.
Old 04-11-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps some of the characters that we thought were out might be coming in season 3:

and I don’t think anyone else asks viewers to process so many storylines and characters. And also one thing to keep in mind is that there are characters in the second book who don’t appear this season, but are coming in later. It’s just about so many new characters introduced in the second season, so we saved some for the next season. They aren’t being omitted, they’re just being delayed.
http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Features...and_Dan_Weiss/

Reeds! I hope lol
Old 04-16-12, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Perhaps some of the characters that we thought were out might be coming in season 3:

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Features...and_Dan_Weiss/

Reeds! I hope lol
Yes I would hope so. Who else would Bran have to talk to.
Old 04-16-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Yes I would hope so. Who else would Bran have to talk to.
Yeah, pretty depressing..talk to Hodor and Summer heh

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.