Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead - SPOILERS Discussion Thread - Show/Comic - News, rumors, casting

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead - SPOILERS Discussion Thread - Show/Comic - News, rumors, casting

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Season Two -- News, Rumors, Discussion, etc.

Kurt Sutter, the creator of the FX show "Sons of Anarchy" on why Darabount was fired:

“why darabont got fired — Weiner. He held AMC hostage, broke their bank, budgets were slashed, shit rolled down hill onto [Breaking Bad showrunner Vince] Gilligan and Frank.” No one else wants to fucking say it, but the greed of Mad Men is killing the other two best shows on tv — breaking bad and walking dead. Darabont reacted strongly to slashed budgets. he made mistakes, he was fired. No creative in town will trust AMC to back up their artists…i don’t know MW, got no beef with him. just hate that Darabont is being demonized. no one has the balls to tell the truth. MM gutted AMC."
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/12/ku...rank-darabont/

Old 08-12-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Kurt Sutter, the creator of the FX show "Sons of Anarchy" on why Darabount was fired:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/12/ku...rank-darabont/

Kurt Sutter def speaks his mind and doesn't seem to give a fuck (his Emmy nomination day twitter rant was pretty epic (even if it was half tongue and cheek)
Old 08-13-11, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Kurt Sutter def speaks his mind and doesn't seem to give a fuck (his Emmy nomination day twitter rant was pretty epic (even if it was half tongue and cheek)
It was also silly. Maybe if "Son's Of Anarchy" actually deserved some awards....last year it didn't.
Old 08-13-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Well, Katey Sagal deserved an award, but that was about it.
Old 08-13-11, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Considering S1 of the show had some horrific writing...not sure him leaving is a bad thing.
Old 08-13-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Except that he fired the writing staff from Season 1 (aside from Kirkman), so that was already taken care of.
Old 08-13-11, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Except that he fired the writing staff from Season 1 (aside from Kirkman), so that was already taken care of.
Good. Fire all of them. S1 showed promise, but the writing was horrific.
Old 08-13-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Well, Katey Sagal deserved an award, but that was about it.
For season 2.
Old 08-13-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Good. Fire all of them. S1 showed promise, but the writing was horrific.
I don't think the writing was horrific... just really uneven. The story-telling was always good, but the dialog was groan-worthy much of the time. I think there was good episodes and bad ones.
Old 08-13-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sven
For season 2.
i think she's deserved to be nominated every season. she's the best actor on that show by a country mile.
Old 08-30-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From Arrow in the Head:

Here's a big fat slab of WTF?! for you: According to NY Magazine's Vulture Blog, AMC is currently planning a talk show revolving around a couple of its signature series, like "Breaking Bad", "Mad Men", and, of course, "The Walking Dead". In fact, it sounds like they have already shot an episode for the zombie series

According to the blog's sources, a pilot has already been shot for the chat show, which would theoretically air after "The Walking Dead" and focus on thoroughly discussing the episode. Chris Hardwick (host of stuff like "Attack of the Show", "Singled Out" and "Web Soup") served as the host of the pilot, although there aren't many more details.

Apparently this is a growing trend in the reality TV biz, where an episode of some idiotic show (like, say, "Jersey Shore") will be followed by a chat with the "stars" of said show in front of a live audience. It's almost like watching the post-game after a sporting event. But will that format work for a show like "The Walking Dead"? And, more importantly, does it risk turning what was a very cool surprise hit for the network into something more bloated and overexposed? Do we really want to get that analytical about it?

As the mid-October premiere of "The Walking Dead" stumbles steadily toward us, I assume we can expect to hear more on this intriguing development in the coming weeks.

Ummmm... yea. The host alone will guarantee I never watch this.
Old 08-30-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Watch What Happens Dead?

Last edited by majorjoe23; 08-30-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sounds like a bad idea. The concept sorta worked with the Lost podcasts, but I'm not sure about an actual tv show doing it.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Ummmm... yea. The host alone will guarantee I never watch this.
I like the Nerdist podcast, but he's not consistent and he always turns things around to focus on himself.
Old 09-01-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ugh.
http://www.tv.com/news/amc-is-splitt...spot;gumball;1
AMC Is Splitting Up The Walking Dead's Second Season

By Tim Surette 54 minutes ago

C U in February! K thnx!

There was some good news and a gigantic pile of bad news at AMC today concerning its hit series The Walking Dead. But because I like to put a smile on your face before I completely ruin your mood, we'll start with the good news: The Season 2 premiere will be 90 minutes long! Yipee!

Now for the bad news: The 13-episode second season will be sliced in two like the soft torso of a lumbering, rotting corpse as it meets the fine steel of a katana. The first seven episodes will air over seven consecutive Sundays starting October 16. That will take the series through November 27. Then it goes on break. A long break. Like, a backpacking through Europe break.

The remaining six episodes won't begin airing until February 12. That means December and January will be entirely zombie free. Yikes! I can't stand split seasons. Hate 'em to death. And I can't think of a reason anyone would like them. Especially with a season that's only 13 episodes long in the first place!

Breaks suck. They cost networks marketing dollars, because they essentially force the promotion of two different premieres. They disrupt the flow of the affected series, and with a serialized show like The Walking Dead, that will be extra noticeable. NBC tried a long break during the first season of The Event, and that program never recovered (not that it ever stood a chance). Men of a Certain Age returned for Season 2.5, but no one knew about it and the show was canceled. I suppose AMC could have started The Walking Dead early and finished it by the end of 2012, but the network seems locked on launching the series in October as part of its "Scary Halloween Month" or whatever.

However, before you take out your quill and legal pad to pen an angry letter ("To whom it may concern at AMC, what about my feelings!?"), consider the decision from AMC's side. I reached out to AMC to poke around about why they're choosing to go with a break and not run it straight through, and now I understand. Fact: TV always goes into hibernation in December, because everyone's traveling across country to Grandma's house. Sundays in January belong to football—especially the Super Bowl, which kicks off (literally!) on February 5. Scheduling The Walking Dead against America's number-one obsession would mean crummier ratings, as Sunday Night Football and zombies would overlap on the East Coast. And if I were forced to choose between watching my fantasy football team choke or watching The Walking Dead, I'd catch up with the monsters on my DVR the following day.

It's not just Hell. It's Hell... ON WHEELS!

But the lengthy break has the potential not just to hurt The Walking Dead and its fans, it could completely derail Hell on Wheels, the new AMC Western that's due to launch Sunday, November 6. If the network applies the same reasoning behind The Walking Dead's break to Hell on Wheels—and it should, unless something fishy is going on—we're looking at four consecutive episodes to introduce us to the series, then the same two-month break, then the final six episodes (presumably paired with The Walking Dead's last six episodes). Splitting up a debut season is a huge risk, and frankly, not a very wise business decision, given that viewers are fickle creatures with short-term memories. A new series needs time to sink its claws into a new audience, and cutting the introductions short is like walking out of a room in the middle of a conversation. (Requests for comment on Hell on Wheels' scheduling from AMC were not returned as of press time.)
Old 09-01-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

I just read that. Bah.
Old 09-01-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AMC: We're becoming just like the big three!
Old 09-01-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-01-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That sucks. There is no reason whatsoever to do a split season on a 13 episode season.

I get why TNT and USA do it due to the production schedules and hitting Fall network competition, but this doesn't make any sense. There is no competition from the networks in December and January due to the Holidays and AMC is missing a huge shot for big ratings.

Plus, the show has been filming since early summer. Most it not all the 13 episodes will have been completed by October.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-01-11 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

It allows them to sell a split season DVD/Blu set! Twice the profit!
Old 09-01-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
It allows them to sell a split season DVD/Blu set! Twice the profit!
This is sad because you're right.
Old 09-01-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

They're probably doing this to replicate the success/numbers generated by the 6 season first episode. They assume that the exact same situation will happen, this time with "two" more 6/7 episode seasons. It sucks because people will still watch the episodes, and they will probably promote the shit out of it leading up to the end of the break, but I hope that this doesn't set an example for their new shows, or delay the produciton of season 3 (provided it gets one).
Old 09-01-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That sucks. There is no reason whatsoever to do a split season on a 13 episode season.

I get why TNT and USA do it due to the production schedules and hitting Fall network competition, but this doesn't make any sense. There is no competition from the networks in December and January due to the Holidays and AMC is missing a huge shot for big ratings.
Yeah, it works great for USA because they run during the Summer/Winter when everyone else is taking a break. This move doesn't sound so hot for TWD.
Old 09-01-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-sense/102271/

Here's an article from TVbythenumbers.com that actually does make some sense on why AMC did this. They think AMC did this in order to spread the production costs over 2 fiscal quarters as opposed to one huge lump sum. Networks don't have to book production expenses until the episode(s) actually air. By saving the last 6 episodes until early 2012, they can save on fiscal costs from the last quarter of 2011.
Old 09-02-11, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It could also have something to do with Darabont's sudden departure from the show.
Old 09-02-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-sense/102271/

Here's an article from TVbythenumbers.com that actually does make some sense on why AMC did this. They think AMC did this in order to spread the production costs over 2 fiscal quarters as opposed to one huge lump sum. Networks don't have to book production expenses until the episode(s) actually air. By saving the last 6 episodes until early 2012, they can save on fiscal costs from the last quarter of 2011.
I don't get TVbythenumbers' logic. Okay, AMC can defer recording the expense of the episodes, but they also can't record the corresponding ad revenue. Don't see how that helps their financials.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.