TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: One World -- "Bum-Puzzled" -- 3/07/12

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Survivor: One World -- "Bum-Puzzled" -- 3/07/12

Originally Posted by joliom
I feel like both camps should be euthanized just for the betterment of society.

A bit harsh considering there are some intelligent and socially savvy players on the women's side. Sabrina is particularly strong, for example.
Old 03-08-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
A bit harsh considering there are some intelligent and socially savvy players on the women's side. Sabrina is particularly strong, for example.
More ghetto trash for Colton to have to deal with

But seriously ... Sabrina, Christina, Monica, Chelsea all seem pretty decent. I haven't seen enough of Kimberly to judge. Kat and Alicia are the only ones who seem to be knuckleheads (so of course, they're getting most of the airtime).
Old 03-09-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I agree Bill seemed like a decent guy. I liked when Tarzan or whoever was complaining that they hadn't had time to train with the slingshot, and he said "Well, they didn't either."

And go ahead and add Kim to the list of seemingly reasonable humans, though of course I'm biased since she's my player in the DVDTalk game.
Old 03-09-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guys on the gay board I go on can't stand Colton either.
Old 03-09-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope Russell makes a surprise visit just to bitch slap Col****.
Old 03-09-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I bet CBS must be happy. Next week's ratings should show an increase. People complain but they love a trainwreck. Just look at the size of this thread. It even pulled in first time posters. I won't go so far as to say he's a plant but I'm sure the producers were pretty giddy to find someone to stir things up.
Old 03-09-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I bet CBS must be happy. Next week's ratings should show an increase. People complain but they love a trainwreck. Just look at the size of this thread. It even pulled in first time posters. I won't go so far as to say he's a plant but I'm sure the producers were pretty giddy to find someone to stir things up.
I agree. I'll definitely be watching closely, waiting for Colton to meet his end at some point.

On the other hand, it makes me sad that Survivor has come down to this. I've not watched every single season as many folks here probably have. But for some time, it seemed as if Survivor was about "real people" participating. Now from what's been reported in these threads, they're going out actively recruiting these cartoon-character-individuals in an effort to provide great television moments.

I still enjoy the show, but not on the same level that I once did.
Old 03-09-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I'm curious if anyone knows the percentage of recruited contestants for each season.

We had a guy from my old company that was a contestant. He definitely wasn't recruited but this was many seasons ago.
Old 03-09-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a difference between someone that is knowingly playing a villain role or just trying to divide folks, etc. and what Colton is. He's just a terrible person. I fully believe he's not playing a role, or acting a certain way, that's just who he is. Which is why I don't feel bad wishing for his death. Over and over.
Old 03-09-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those guys are so stupid.

One of the original 5 should have approached Bill and Leif (because of what Colton was saying about them). Then get with *** (I can't remember the guy's name who came to the 5 to get into their alliance to make it 6). The four team up and put in their 4 votes for Colton. 4 - 4 tie. Immunity idol is useless now. Bill raises a stink about Colton thinking he's all powerful just because he has the Hidden Idol and that the 3 are voting for Colton no matter what. If one of the other 3 gets scared, if the tie-breaker is the pebbles, they might switch their vote. They vote again. If one of the others did switch, Colton is out. Other wise 3 - 3 tie. If they do the fire building, Bill would beat him by a mile. The 4 now have the advantage against the original 3.

That's what I would I done. But, that's just me thinking. The other guys should start doing some thinking. I'll have to keep rooting for the women.
Old 03-09-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brainee

By the way, was I imagining things early in the episode ... or does Lief sleep in a box?!?
I saw that too
Old 03-09-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious if anyone knows the percentage of recruited contestants for each season.
Curious about this too. I don't doubt that the women's team includes a few people who were recruited, but the men's side is so much more...cartoony, I guess. The flamboyant gay, the dwarf, the Alpha Male, the grizzled older guy, the wild-haired stand-up comic, etc....all straight of central casting. I don't know any of those men, but I know quite a few of the women (like teachers Alicia and Sabrina, for instance). They seem so much more normal in comparison.

What a bizarre collection of people.
Old 03-09-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

When they interviewed Jay, I was wondering where the heck he had come from
Old 03-09-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I agree. I'll definitely be watching closely, waiting for Colton to meet his end at some point.

On the other hand, it makes me sad that Survivor has come down to this. I've not watched every single season as many folks here probably have. But for some time, it seemed as if Survivor was about "real people" participating. Now from what's been reported in these threads, they're going out actively recruiting these cartoon-character-individuals in an effort to provide great television moments.

I still enjoy the show, but not on the same level that I once did.
Colton is very real. I knew people in college raised just like him. I am sure if put on an island in a similiar situation and they did not filter what they were saying would have said some of the same things. If you want to avoid manufactured cartoon villianary make sure to never watch Samoa or Heroes vs Villians.
Old 03-09-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We had a guy from my old company that was a contestant. He definitely wasn't recruited but this was many seasons ago.
I think Survivor now is probably 80-90% recruits although ironically the biggest villian of the season and maybe ever Colton was a fan who applied.
Old 03-11-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Howie2000
The guys may collectively be the dumbest group of players ever but I am not sure what has been moronic about the womens decision when they went to tc. The majority alliance kept a loyal ally over a a cranky old lady who felt entitled to stay because of her life experience.
The women aren't nearly as dumb as the men, but they have hardly shown themselves to be savvy strategists either. The alliance on their side was thrown together arbitrarily during the march into camp. They all but admitted that they regret it. They've continually allowed petty personal issues to divide their team and corrupt morale, and have paid for that in challenges. They also antagonized the men early on when they still needed them for fire, shelter construction, etc. That cost them too (and made them look stupid and hypocritical when they had to come back and ask/demand assistance from them). So no, they are not master strategists either. I am starting to like Sabrina, however. The fact that she broke with the status quo and started targeting Alicia earned her a lot of respect from me. She's shown that she's actually thinking more than one step ahead.

Originally Posted by TimeandTide

Well, obviously I was exaggerating for effect with that comment, but the sentiment remains unchanged. So far this is looking like the worst cast ever on this show. If you like them, more power to you. But to me it feels really manufactured, like the producers decided to completely forego looking for interesting people in favor of a bunch of borderlines and token characters.