Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 02/11/12 - H: Zooey Deschanel - MG: Karmin

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Re: SNL 02/11/12 - H: Zooey Deschanel - MG: Karmin

I thought this episode was as bad as all the others this season. The writing is just not very good these days. The crab sketch was possibly the least funny sketch I've seen in years. I laughed during the Nic Cage bit and...that's about it.

Also, did not enjoy Karmin. Ugh.
Old 02-13-12, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
This season, we've had Radiohead, Lady Antebellum, Drake, Maroon 5, Coldplay, Michael Buble, and Kelly Clarkson. Even acts like Forence + the Machine, Foster the People, the Black Keys, and Bon Iver aren't that obscure. It's nice to get a mix of hot artists and up-and-comers over the course of a season. Maybe you'll hear something new instead of just another performance of "Moves Like Jagger." Maybe you'll even discover an artist whose music you like.

Edit: Rereading, those last two sentences came off way harsher than I intended. I didn't mean "you" as in "RoadToPerdition," I just meant the generic person watching SNL might hear a new artist he winds up liking.
Fair point, there have been a lot of big acts this year. I just don't really remember in the past there being so many music guests that haven't had at least one mainstream hit, let alone all these ones that I've never even heard of (and I like to think I'm familiar with more singers/groups than the average person).

No offense taken at your post, by the way. Even before reading your edit, I didn't take it personally.
Old 02-13-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

I've only watched SNL on and off this season, but I loved this episode. Between Zooey's song, those Clint Eastwood ads, The Artist spoof, and Cage vs. Cage; I thought it was great stuff.
Old 02-14-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I think people's love for Zooey the person and actress are clouding their opinion of Zooey the SNL host.

Outside of the Eastwood parodies and the Cage WU skit, the rest of the episode was atrocious. The crab sketch was just plain unfunny as was the old-timey newspaper one. The quirky sketch was lame.

It also appeared that Zooey never once looked at a script, and it was like she was reading the cards for the first time during the broadcast.
Old 02-15-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 772 Likes on 630 Posts

Outside of the Eastwood parodies and the Cage WU skit, the rest of the episode was atrocious.
Maybe but the Eastwood parodies and the Cage skit alone were just enough for me to call it a good show.
Old 02-15-12, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The crab sketch was just plain unfunny as was the old-timey newspaper one.
Finally somebody else thinks so. I feel like everyone else loved this but me.