TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ink Master (Paramount Network)

Old 09-02-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

re: Ink Master (Paramount Network)

Watched the first 2 eps of epic ink - the art was good, but the best thing? NO DRAMA. Just crank out the tattoos. They do like 5 in one 30 minute show. Shows like Miami Ink and LA Ink would do 3 tattoos in an hour, the rest filled with manufactured drama.
Old 09-02-14, 02:17 PM

The biggest thing I enjoy about Epic Ink is that I enjoy the tattoos. It's not someone coming in and "my mom passed I want her on my heart". That's a great story but I don't care about it. You have the guy that is a huge Farley fan getting work done and "look at how awesome that is!!!!". I just find myself enjoying the show more because of that.
Old 09-02-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I like about epic ink. It's about the tattoo, not drama and not your every day tattoo.
They all talk about the 'geeky' stuff while doing the tattoo and it just seems fun. The subject matter is more watchable for me as well.
Old 09-03-14, 08:43 AM

Well, wasn't blown away by any of the tattoos, and I'm already SUPER annoyed at the drama. That one brother with the long hair can't speak without yelling. It's pretty ridiculous. Hopefully it gets better.
Old 09-03-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Well, wasn't blown away by any of the tattoos, and I'm already SUPER annoyed at the drama. That one brother with the long hair can't speak without yelling. It's pretty ridiculous. Hopefully it gets better.
As if there wasn't ENOUGH drama in the show already, they decide to amp it up by getting "rivals" to compete against each other. Very little eye candy this year, too.
Old 09-03-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I fast forwarded though all of the yelling. Made for a very short episode.
Old 09-04-14, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone seen the first episode of the new season? Watching it later today.
Old 09-04-14, 08:31 AM

I think the 3 people who posted right before you have seen it.
Old 09-04-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched the episode and its one of those seasons where there isn't a single decent artist in the house. It will be worth watching just to see how bad these tats get.
Old 09-04-14, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The brunette chick seems like a real bunghole.
Old 09-04-14, 07:26 PM

Oh man I forgot to mention her. She's obviously going hard for her 15 minutes of fame.
Old 09-04-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Epic Ink is a better show and far better artists.
Old 09-04-14, 11:03 PM

I think it's too early to say that they don't have talent. I wasn't blown away by any of them, but that was a tough tattoo to start with (collaborating and alternating on application). Hopefully it gets better.
Old 09-05-14, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah, that brunette is annoying as hell. She needs to stop her yapping. It will be fun to see her get booted.

And i don't think its too early at all. Previous seasons where there have been really talented artists they have demonstrated from the first show onwards. The odd artist might get the odd chance to make a half decent piece, but there is no one that comes close to the skills of a Shane O'Neil, Sausage or Scott Marshall. Some of the pieces this week were just plain disasters. Even the best were average at best.
Old 09-05-14, 07:47 AM

Remember in past seasons, contestants did their own work right from the start. Here, it was a collaboration piece. A weak artist could easily have affected the work of a talented artist, as they were tag-teaming on the same tattoo - not doing their own tattoo.

The only solo work we saw was from people in the bottom, who were in the bottom for a reason.

A lot of them have good portfolios. Of course there's no Shane O'Neil. That caliber of artist doesn't come on this show anymore. I would bet the show ends up doing more harm to a good artist's career than good.

I liked sausage and Scott's stuff, but they were nowhere near Shane's quality.
Old 09-10-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought both Scott and Sausage produced better work than Shane. Shane is incredibly talented, but he does not seem to be well rounded (hardly ever uses color). Oh, and after last nights episode i would say that my comment was vilified. Horrible tattoos all round. Really pathetic. Even the best was average (that loud mouth bitch who is really trying to get the most out of her 15 minutes.) I am surprised that i am saying this, but i hope Joshua wins. He is pretty talentless with poor imagination, but compared to the rest of these numb nuts he is the best in the house.
Old 09-10-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I thought both Scott and Sausage produced better work than Shane. Shane is incredibly talented, but he does not seem to be well rounded (hardly ever uses color). Oh, and after last nights episode i would say that my comment was vilified. Horrible tattoos all round. Really pathetic. Even the best was average (that loud mouth bitch who is really trying to get the most out of her 15 minutes.) I am surprised that i am saying this, but i hope Joshua wins. He is pretty talentless with poor imagination, but compared to the rest of these numb nuts he is the best in the house.
I honestly couldn't believe how bad last night's tattoos were. I felt sorry for the people who are stuck with these. At this point, I don't think any of these people can tattoo to save their lives. Hell they can't even draw! Hard to believe they can't find 16 people who can tattoo for this show. No way Josh loses. His was the only one resembling a decent tattoo.
Old 09-12-14, 12:59 AM

Ok, now it's definitely not too early to tell anymore, and 95% of these guys suck balls. How do they even make it on the show?? Do they even do the tattoos in the portfolios? Jeez.

And if I were on the show, I'd flat out tell those brothers that no one gives a shit about their family drama. Holy shit. Shut the Fuck up.

As for Shane O'Neil, I think he does color pretty damn well - http://shaneoneilltattoos.com/gallery/. He may prefer black/grey, but his color work is top notch as well.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 09-12-14 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Hawaiian pinup with the fucked up mug! I would be fucking furious if that was on my body.
Old 09-15-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can see that Shave works well with colour when he has no time constraints, but on the show he tried avoiding it as much as possible. The few put downs he got from the judges related to this i seem to recall. But he is an amazing artist.

And i cannot wait t see the mess these idiots make this week. It is shocking that out of all the artists in the country that must have put their names into the hat to be in the show that these are the ones they chose. I get the feeling they were chosen more by personality (not that many of them actually have decent personalities, just that they have the potential to be douche bags and cause chaos) than on actual skill, or maybe they got tricked by fake portfolios.
Old 09-15-14, 09:26 AM

It's reality tv, so I'm sure they were chosen for the drama only. Casting call was probably: "know how to stir shit up? You're hired! Jut make sure you know what a tattoo is"

And I think that after the first 2 seasons, real artists saw this as more of a joke competition than an actual reflection of talent and a way to build their brand/popularity. Most top/elite artists build their popularity by doing good work, doing conventions, and word of mouth.

I remember reading about the guy from Nashville in the first season (Josh Woods) regretting his decision to go on the show. It was a lot of stress for extremely little benefit. I'm sure the clientele he May have gained from the show were also pretty sucky. "Yo dude I saw you on ink master! I want a tat of Calvin pissing on a Chevy symbol!"

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 09-15-14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The crybaby who got voted out this week had only been tattooing for two years! How could he possibly think he was going to win the competition and why would the producers pick him? Hell, he's only been tattooing for two more years than me. Maybe I should apply for next season...
Old 09-17-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last night's tattoos were much better than the previous week's. I don't know that anyone will beat Josh however.
Old 09-17-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree this weeks tattoos were much improved, but every dog has its day. I agree that i don't see Josh having any competition at this stage. Anyone who wins this season will be the least deserving winner of any season.

And that Emily chick just continues to be annoying as all hell. Ugly loud mouth bitch. But she will probably make it to the end. She has some skill and i am sure the producers want to keep her around as long as possible.
Old 11-15-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone still watching? Glad to see that lunatic Emily get the boot. What do you think of Josh getting the heave-ho for breaking rules?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.