Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The X Factor -- Judges Homes/Finalists Chosen -- Begins 10/12/11 (FOX)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The X Factor -- Judges Homes/Finalists Chosen -- Begins 10/12/11 (FOX)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The X Factor -- Judges Homes/Finalists Chosen -- Begins 10/12/11 (FOX)

Just watched the 2 hours from Sunday. I actually liked this group better than last Thursday.

In the Over 30's, I really liked Josh and LeRoy. I don't know what the hell Nicole is smoking thinking that LeRoy was really nervous. I thought he was great, especially for a 60 year old. I really hope LeRoy makes it through.

In the Boys, I thought Marcus stood out. I actually agreed with Rihanna's comment that Brennin comes across as a 90 boys band singer. I think Tim has a solid country voice and will probably make it through.

None of the Groups have really stood out. InTensity came across as really Disney Channel Teeney Bopper. 2squar'd was awful. It came across as bad karaoke.

Melanie Amaro is my #1 pick for the girls. She was great. I know Simon has a major hard on for Tiah. I'm sure she will make it through.
Old 10-17-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

BTW, I already knew the results weren't being revealed until Tuesday, but that was such bullshit the way it was teased going into their last segment making the viewers think the results were next. That last segment was just drawn out tease for Tuesday.
Old 10-17-11, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The viewing schedule was so confusing to me, I totally skipped even trying to watch. I'll rejoin the program already in progress. Hopefully I didn't miss any stellar performances, which is the only reason I watch.
Old 10-17-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MikahC
The viewing schedule was so confusing to me, I totally skipped even trying to watch. I'll rejoin the program already in progress. Hopefully I didn't miss any stellar performances, which is the only reason I watch.
The Top 16 for the Live shows will be revealed Tuesday night. If you missed the last 2 nights, I'm sure they will have recaps/flashbacks.

Melanie Amaro was great last night.
Old 10-18-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Melanie Amaro was great last night.
So much for skipping it. Melanie single-handedly makes it worth seeing.
Old 10-18-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How can that dude be 59 years old, he looks like he's 39 years old.
Old 10-18-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

why oh why did they not get rid of Dexter Haygood? How many times do we have to listen to the same James Brown imitation? I know Phillip Lomax has the whole Sinatra schtick down to a tee, so I guess they both have to get out of their comfort zones. But at 49 I don't see Dexter doing it.
Old 10-19-11, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Go figure they pick a Top 17

Thank God Simon changed his mind and gave Melanie Amaro the 17th slot.

Not a fan of Simone Battle. I would have preferred Simon go with Caitlin Koch.

And really? Paula picks the Brewer boys over 4 Shore? Those Mop heads will be one of the 1st eliminated guaranteed.

Did anyone notice they skipped LeRoy Bell being chosen and Tiger Budbill being rejected? And Nicole was being a little over-dramatic.

I effing hate Astro Boy. I hope that little shit tanks.

This is my favorites from each group:

Girls: Melanie Amaro

Groups: Lakoda Rayne (only because they look good)

Over 30: Toss up between Leroy Bell and Josh

Boys: Marcus Canty
Old 10-19-11, 07:56 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone notice they skipped LeRoy Bell being chosen and Tiger Budbill being rejected?
They showed this on my airing. I wonder if something happened on the west coast feed?
Old 10-19-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
why oh why did they not get rid of Dexter Haygood? How many times do we have to listen to the same James Brown imitation? I know Phillip Lomax has the whole Sinatra schtick down to a tee, so I guess they both have to get out of their comfort zones. But at 49 I don't see Dexter doing it.
He'll probably be an early casualty. He's more of a character than some of the other dudes with a sad back story. He's drama and suspense. That's why they kept him. I feel it's a wasted spot too, but I understand the logic.
And what the heck with Melanie Amaro? Mistake? Sure, but it seems wrong to change it now. After all this talk and show of hard, unchangeable decisions and then, oh, let's just add her to the line up. just give her a recording contract to make up for the mistake.
Old 10-19-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't much care for any of the 17 remaining contestants. Surprised at some of the cuts (from 32 to 17).
Old 10-19-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Re: Tonight's show. Dramatic overload much? The climatic build ups, those horrible background songs, the fake genuine send off and tears. And sorry, but having the likes of a Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger tell you you're not good enough for the music industry has to be the hardest slap for those contestants. At least Nicole can sing, but she will most likely never have another hit song. At least as a solo singer.
Old 10-20-11, 02:02 AM

At least the episode had the Nicole upskirt shot.
Old 10-20-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

The sad thing is you really get the sense that the producers were involved in a lot of the decisions. I have no idea how Simon picked Tia Tolive, Simone Battle and Rachel Crow over Caitlin, Jazzlyn and Tora. All three that were sent home had better voices than the rest. Rachel isn't bad per se, but she has too much room to grow and is so young. Then if you're those other 3 it's a double slap in the face because Simon went back and brought Melanie forward anyway.

The groups and the over 30s at least mostly made sense. However, the groups are a joke and none of them will win. Of the 30s, I think Christa got the shaft and Stacy went through when she shouldn't have.

Of the guys, I think Brennin got the shaft and really deserved to go home. The shame of it all is that those who didn't really deserve to go through will easily be the first out once any sort of voting begins. Like, maybe "Astro".
Old 10-20-11, 11:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I also disagree with a lot of the choices, especially Simon's and Paula's.

Tia? Seriously? I feel Simon picked her to prove the point that he was 'right' from the start while everyone else didn't see it. America is fickle though...so she will be gone soon because she's just not that pretty. And Simone's a bitch whose recieved a terrible edit from the producers, so she'll be gone soon too.

Astro? Ugh.

And not picking 4Shore was a crime. Their vocal performance was the best out of all the groups. My guess is that Paula did not want to put through two young black groups. Shame too, because now I have to watch the train wreck that is lakota rayne (anyone else offended by the name?) and inTENshitty.
Old 10-20-11, 11:50 AM

This was on this week? My Tivo keeps showing the World Series in the guide for the days this is supposed to air.
Old 10-20-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Re: Tonight's show. Dramatic overload much? The climatic build ups, those horrible background songs, the fake genuine send off and tears. And sorry, but having the likes of a Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger tell you you're not good enough for the music industry has to be the hardest slap for those contestants. At least Nicole can sing, but she will most likely never have another hit song. At least as a solo singer.
Paula's not the best vocalist out there but she did have what like 6 number one hits. She can sing in tune I'm sure, she's just has a very thin voice with limited range. Remember, X-Factor is looking for a pop superstar.

As for the show, I think it is taking way too long to get to actual performances. This is what I hate about Idol as well. I don't care about their sob stories. Boo hoo you are losing your house -- go get a real job then instead of entering a singing competition that you most likely won't win.

Looking forward to seeing Melanie Amaro in the actual performances.
Old 10-20-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
This was on this week? My Tivo keeps showing the World Series in the guide for the days this is supposed to air.
2 shows aired this week. Sunday night and Tuesday. Game 1 of the World Series was last night. Sunday's episode was actually from last Thursday, which got pushed back because of baseball. And pretty much every DVR had "To Be Announced"

The 1st Live show will be next Tuesday.
Old 10-20-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Superman07
Of the guys, I think Brennin got the shaft and really deserved to go home. The shame of it all is that those who didn't really deserve to go through will easily be the first out once any sort of voting begins. Like, maybe "Astro".
I assume you mean he didn't deserve to go home regarding Brennin.

I think Rihanna's opinion on him may have heavily influenced LA. She said he's dated and reminded her of a 90's boy band singer. That's a shame, if he would have made it to the Live shows, I think he would have gotten alot of young girl voters. I like him alot better than Phil Lomax. Does Simon really want to invest $5M in a Frank Sinatra wannabe? Doesn't Michael Buble already fill that void?

BTW, I really like LeRoy Bell in the Over 30's. Seems like a really cool and humble guy. He has an official web site and a brief video message about the show on the main page.

http://www.leroybell.com/

Last edited by DJariya; 10-20-11 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The pick of Tia over Melanie Amaro is the first time I can ever remember being upset at any competition show. I was about to come here and write something, but I didn't know what I was going to write. Would I stop watching? That'd be a bit juvenile. But what's the appropriate response for something like that? Luckily the episode kept playing in the background as I was trying to figure it all out and the universe righted itself. I realize it was probably manipulation on Simon's part, but for awhile there, I really wasn't sure I wanted to watch a talent show that didn't give Melanie a chance.

As for Rachel Crow's selection, I have zero problem with that. I really like her on a multitude of levels. She transforms when she performs and is definitely beyond her years. I always tend to think people that age are more play acting than really emoting. bit she's good. One thing I find charming about her is she's still innocent in a way that she doesnt' realize there's a segment of the public at home laughing at the singing fat smurf girl.

I thought Caitlin should have replaced Tia.
Old 10-20-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

BTW, I really like LeRoy Bell in the Over 30's. Seems like a really cool and humble guy. He has an official web site and a brief video message about the show on the main page.

http://www.leroybell.com/

I found Josh Krajcik's facebook page a couple of weeks ago and it was just a personal page. On Monday he converted it to a fan page.
Old 10-21-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The editing on this show is horrendous. Like others are saying, it was trying way too hard to be emotionally manipulative and create tension. The damn lingering camera and switching back-and-forth between the judges faces and the contestants faces was like some kind of joke. Thought I was watching an Austin Powers movie. I also hate the damn fake-out "will you make it or not" speeches given by the judges. They did it for every single contestant. And Nicole was hamming it up way too much. I wanted to slap her.

The only reason to watch this show is to see the singers. The four I'm watching out for are Josh, Leroy, Melanie, and Rachel. I think Rachel's going to be pretty impressive. She makes songs sound different and really emotionally connects (which is amazing for a 14 year old). Josh and Leroy both have that raspy Ray Lamontagne sound which I'm hoping doesn't end up getting on my nerves. I think Josh may be more versatile. Melanie is just a plain good singer. Not sure if she has the personality yet though.
Old 10-21-11, 10:11 AM

I got to imagine that all the folks that competed in the groups category should feel pretty insulted seeing how 2 of the groups were manufactured by the judges after the fact. I can see and welcome one group being created but not two and then for both of them to move forward in the competition. Why not pull a power singer from the groups and put them through in the singles category? Fair is fair.
Old 10-24-11, 07:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Some real head scratchers here, thank God they brought Melanie back, easily the best singer that I heard, really pissed they didn't bring Jazzlyn back... was looking forward to her, and Country Boy, was it Tim? that guy was good, and Scott just won Idol, and his album has done well so.. why not him?

LA Reid!? Man, some strange choices dude, and Simon, I think he was all about image and less about the singing, only Nicole seemed to have made what seemed to be the most solid choices. I liked Stereo Hogzz, I think they could go far.. and I disagree with DJariya, I think Brewer Boys were decent, and my girls liked them, I think thats your target audience.

Looking forward to the live shows, and appreciate the difference in this show than Idol and happy to have Simon back, even though it looks like he lost his fastball.

My final 4 picks (if this is how they do it on the show?) Burito Dude, Melanie, Marcus, Stereo Hogzz...
Old 10-24-11, 07:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drew is my favorite overall right now. My only fear is that she'll get tripped up if they do some goofy theme or try to put her in an uptempo song.