Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Horror Story -- "Pilot" -- 10/5/2011 (10PM FX)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Horror Story -- "Pilot" -- 10/5/2011 (10PM FX)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: American Horror Story -- "Pilot" -- 10/5/2011 (10PM FX)

Young maid is HOT, and I loved the basement scene. Still one of the best parts was the intro credits.

I pretty much thought, anyone they come in contact in the house or around is a ghost. The burned guy wont be because he was in the streets. Plus the neighbor said about killing the maid... again.

I have a feeling of "The Others" type ending.
Old 10-07-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, forgot about her saying she'd killer her...again.
Old 10-07-11, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Young maid is HOT, and I loved the basement scene. Still one of the best parts was the intro credits.
Yeah she got railed pretty good by a vampire in this last season of True Blood.
Old 10-07-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sven
Yeah she got railed pretty good by a vampire in this last season of True Blood.
Who is she in True Blood? I can't match her name to anyone off the top of my head.
Old 10-07-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Who is she in True Blood?
She played Katerina, and was sent by Bill to be an undercover agent at Marnie's this past season.
Old 10-09-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Well this show is weird. not sure what else to say, the performances all around except for the crazy kid were extremely uneven, the plot was all over the place, and I just can't see how they can stretch this premise into a long-running series.

Prediction - 1 and done.
Old 10-09-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I had no idea what to expect and really liked it. I get all the complaints, but I liked the weirdness and there's nothing like it on TV.
Old 10-09-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Another thing that might support the theory that this show will have a rotating cast if it gets another season.

Connie Britton has a deal with FX to star in her own show that will be created and produced by David O'Russell. But, the last reports from earlier this year is there is no script or premise yet.
Old 10-09-11, 01:53 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts

After finally watching this and reading the thread, I have a few questions.

Does the husband always see the maid as the young version?
Why is there no connection whatsoever between happenings? For example, why does the husband not say something to his wife about hiring maid dressed as a slut? I can get not saying something about her diddling herself, but what about before then? Or why doesn't the daughter, when talking to her mom about what an ass her dad is, say how she saw the father appearing to get it on with the old maid? Shouldn't there be some cohesiveness?

Lastly, Connie Britton? Really? To each their own.

And I might give it one more episode, but I don't think this is my cup of tea.
Old 10-09-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharoh
Lastly, Connie Britton? Really? To each their own.

What's your issue with Connie Britton? Did you ever watch Friday Night Lights? Although comparing her character here to Tami Taylor is apples and oranges, but she's a great actress and yes, I think she's very attractive too.

As for your question about the maid. Ben is hallucinating and that version of the maid doesn't exist. The maid is a 60-70 year old woman and Ben is seeing her as some hot vixen.

I do agree with you after the daughter saw Ben getting seduced by the old maid, they just dropped that without any repurcussions for him.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-09-11 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
What's your issue with Connie Britton? Did you ever watch Friday Night Lights? Although comparing her character here to Tami Taylor is apples and oranges, but she's a great actress and yes, I think she's very attractive too.

As for your question about the maid. Ben is hallucinating and that version of the maid doesn't exist. The maid is a 60-70 year old woman and Ben is seeing her as some hot vixen.

I do agree with you after the daughter saw Ben getting seduced by the old maid, they just dropped that without any repurcussions for him.
I know he is hallucinating, my question was if he always and only sees her as young and attractive. And if he does, why wouldn't he say something to his wife. They seem to drop everything.

As for Ms. Britton, I have never seen any of FNL. I also understand others finding her attractive while I don't. I am sure there are cases of the opposite. I just don't get people going crazy over her, either her looks or acting, which wasn't very good in the first ep.

Old 10-09-11, 03:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't even make it through the whole episode. I just don't really give things too much time to develop if there's no hook on some level. And while Connie Britton (yes, she's the ONLY reason I tuned in because she's a great actress and I have enjoyed her in everything I've seen her in... and I find her extremely attractive.) was in it a lot, I just lost interest. Maybe, if I read more good reviews, I'll give this episode (or the future ones) another chance, but my viewing schedule and other commitments mean more than giving, what I found, a mediocre show more of my time.
Old 10-09-11, 03:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As for Ms. Britton, I have never seen any of FNL. I also understand others finding her attractive while I don't. I am sure there are cases of the opposite. I just don't get people going crazy over her, either her looks or acting, which wasn't very good in the first ep.

That's not her fault. No one was good in the pilot. She's amazing in Friday Night Lights, so it's not that she can't act. I'm placing the blame squarely on Ryan Murphy for the terrible performances. It's not like Jessica Lange was great, either, which points to a fault of the director.
Old 10-09-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For example, why does the husband not say something to his wife about hiring maid dressed as a slut? I can get not saying something about her diddling herself, but what about before then?
Wasn't his questioning of it implied in the way he reacted to his wife hiring her? (both verbal and nonverbal) I mean it's not like the character who is trying to make up for cheating on his wife and make amends can say "Are you sure you're going to hire that slut because I'm probably going to have to bang her." Not really the best way to prove you can keep it in your pants.
Old 10-09-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Actually I think she was the lone bright spot as far as acting goes. Lange was over-acting. McDermott looked constipated. The daughter and other kids were, well what you expect from kids. Britton was great on Spin City as well, much better than Heather Locklear was on that show.

Didn't Lange mention killing the maid? If it's not a red herring, I'm guessing it occurred when she was the young hot maid, hence the two versions.
Old 10-09-11, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
That's not her fault. No one was good in the pilot. She's amazing in Friday Night Lights, so it's not that she can't act. I'm placing the blame squarely on Ryan Murphy for the terrible performances. It's not like Jessica Lange was great, either, which points to a fault of the director.
Fair points, and since I have never seen her in anything else, at least that I know of, I will stand corrected.
Old 10-09-11, 07:32 PM

Really loved it, and can't wait for more. Hard to believe it even made it to tv, such a weird show. My favorite pilot of the new season shows.
Old 10-09-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

Fun show. I didn't find it as creepy as I expected. Lots of the horror conventions seemed tame and traditional by today's PG-13 standards - nothing new there. But it was fun to watch. I look forward to the story unfolding. And, yea, I wouldn't mind seeing something wrap up in one season.

The thing with the teens in the basement seemed very rushed. Those teens and their drugs - I thought it was a funny "what if" scenario, and she was going to have to find a different way to lure the girl down there. But then they went with the "drugs" thing - felt really akward and dumb. But now I look forward to some explination. And the story with the cut-up teen can't possibly end there.
Old 10-09-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I have a feeling of "The Others" type ending.
Oh, please no. It's been awhile since I had my head messed with like that. The already-dead/personality switch convention got old (The Sixth Sense, The Machinist, Fight Club, The Others, Lost, Shutter Island, etc.).
Old 10-09-11, 08:47 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I just watched and thought it was fantastic
Old 10-10-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I find it amusing that the most common descriptor from people who don't like the show is that it's "weird." Um, it's a twisted, horror show. Geez, you'd think no one ever saw Twin Peaks using "weird" to describe this somewhat typical horror tale.

I know he is hallucinating, my question was if he always and only sees her as young and attractive. And if he does, why wouldn't he say something to his wife. They seem to drop everything.
Well, for one, his wife WANTS the maid in garters. Who is he to argue? I mean, c'mon.

As for why his daughter doesn't say anything - I don't think that's unusual at all especially given it was the creepy old maid.

Last edited by CRM114; 10-10-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I find it amusing that the most common descriptor from people who don't like the show is that it's "weird." Um, it's a twisted, horror show. Geez, you'd think no one ever saw Twin Peaks using "weird" to describe this somewhat typical horror tale.
Except TP was weird and good, whereas this is weird and terrible.
Old 10-10-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After finally watching this and reading the thread, I have a few questions.

Does the husband always see the maid as the young version?
Why is there no connection whatsoever between happenings? For example, why does the husband not say something to his wife about hiring maid dressed as a slut?
He gave his wife wtf/you're joking looks and asked her 'are you sure' and such when the maid was first introduced to him.
Old 10-10-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Most common descriptor? Did you even read the thread?
Old 10-10-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Except TP was weird and good, whereas this is weird and terrible.
TP was weird and good and this show is a typical horror movie formatted as a TV series. I wouldn't describe the Amityville Horror as "weird."

Originally Posted by dino88
Most common descriptor? Did you even read the thread?
In fact I did. The word "weird" was used 31 times in 4 pages.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.