DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Arrested Development episodes in the works

Old 10-03-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Call bullshit on what? You're reading wayyyyyy too much into this.
Who is reading too much into things? In this thread you have people misquoting what he said and trying to guess why he said what he said (like speculatively attributing it to SDSU/RW) and I'm reading too much into it?

This dude flat-out said these episodes/this movie would be no good if they were made. That's stupid negative internet crazy bullshit, pure and simple.
Old 10-03-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I feel like the show ended on a high note. Sometimes shows work better when they're short and sweet and not dragged out until they're not profitable anymore (The Office). Plus it seems like shows that HAVE returned aren't up to the original quality such as Family Guy and Futurama. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Yeah he's really being negative.
Old 10-03-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew

This dude flat-out said these episodes/this movie would be no good if they were made. That's stupid negative internet crazy bullshit, pure and simple.
Can you quote him saying that? (pro-tip, don't just quote the same thing again that you clearly haven't read that doesn't say it would suck or be no good)
Old 10-05-11, 11:54 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Hulu Is Also Making a Play for the Arrested Development Mini-series

In a move to outflank fierce rival Netflix, Hulu has jumped into the bidding war to exclusively distribute a new batch of Arrested Development episodes, greatly increasing the chances of a Bluth family reunion. On Sunday, AD creator Mitch Hurwitz told a crowd of assembled fans at the New Yorker Festival that he and producer Ron Howard were planning “to do a limited-run series” that would set up an Arrested Development movie. It was later reported that pay cable network Showtime and online streaming service Netflix were interested, but insiders familiar with the situation tell Vulture that, upon hearing of this plan, Hulu contacted Team Hurwitz (and soon after, AD co-producer 20th Century Fox Television) about making a play for the TV component.

While Fox canceled AD in 2006 because of low ratings, it's had a powerful afterlife on DVD and online, which is why Hulu and Netflix see the value of making more. Insiders familiar with the talks between Hulu and 20th tell Vulture that Hulu has gotten 100 million streaming impressions from Arrested Development clips, episodes, and outtakes since Hulu started in 2008. (A Hulu spokeswoman declined to comment for this story.) And the company doesn't even have exclusive online rights, sharing them with Netflix's streaming service. Clearly both companies think that the one site offering new episodes should prepare for a fan onslaught. (And Netflix — which is already moving into original programming with Kevin Spacey's House of Cards — definitely needs a high-profile deal that will make people forget the price increases that have lost the company 1 million subscribers in the past year. How can a TV geek stay mad at the company that brings back the Bluths?)

While the mini-series would be co-produced by 20th, it won't end up on a sister network. Industry insiders say it's unlikely that the reboot would end up on Fox for a variety of reasons (like the difficulties of finding space on its high-rated schedule for a limited-run series that has no chance of continuing), while a well-placed source at FX says there have been no conversations there about taking it on, owing to its high cost per episode and limited run. But while the show was costing $2 million an episode back in its original run, this production won't be as pricey: Hurwitz explained that each episode would focus on one character, setting up their individual story lines for the movie. Therefore, stars like Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Michael Cera (whose salaries have gone up since the show) won't have to be paid for a whole series. Plus, Hurwitz seems to envision that the project would only work as a mini-series and a movie; since they would be shot together, much of the physical production costs would be split between whoever gets the TV show and the movie studio.
Old 10-05-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Wow, networks and companies in a bidding war over Arrested Development. Did hell freeze over and I miss it or something?
Old 10-05-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

But while the show was costing $2 million an episode back in its original run, this production won't be as pricey: Hurwitz explained that each episode would focus on one character, setting up their individual story lines for the movie. Therefore, stars like Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Michael Cera (whose salaries have gone up since the show) won't have to be paid for a whole series.
This quote gives me a really bad feeling. It makes it sound as though each character is going to be alone (or interacting with only a few members of the family) in each episode so they don't have to pay all the actors for a whole season. If you don't have the family all together, and just have them pursuing various storylines apart... that doesn't really sound appealing at all. What made the series so hilarious were the interactions of the ENTIRE family.
Old 10-05-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead
This quote gives me a really bad feeling. It makes it sound as though each character is going to be alone (or interacting with only a few members of the family) in each episode so they don't have to pay all the actors for a whole season. If you don't have the family all together, and just have them pursuing various storylines apart... that doesn't really sound appealing at all. What made the series so hilarious were the interactions of the ENTIRE family.
I'd comment here, but I'd probably get bitched at again for not using "I feel" and "in my opinion," so I'll just keep it to myself...
Old 10-05-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to put the AD theme as my iPhone ring tone in honor of all of this news. Any ideas where I can find that?
Old 10-05-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Did you watch the clip form the panel I posted? He explains things pretty well. The point isn't the series, but the movie. The series was just an idea to show us what the characters have been up to the last 5 years, just so they don't waste time during the movie getting "caught up" and they can just hit the ground running. And the the character-centric episodes sound like a great idea - I dug that little joke about Buster in the lab coat.
Old 11-18-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Arrested Development Returns!

New episodes will be available on Netflix in 2013!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/11/18/ar...pment-netflix/
Old 11-18-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Re: Arrested Development Returns!

How many episodes? That’s not been announced yet...And will all the cast members return? That’s not been announced either — no contracts have been finalized, we’re told.
I'm not getting my hopes up yet. Netflix can kiss my ass in the meantime!
Old 11-18-11, 07:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I wonder if this will be full-length episodes, or shorter "webisodes" with only a handful of the cast.
Old 11-18-11, 09:28 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

All-New Arrested Development Episodes Are Coming — Via Netflix

Gob Bluth would most definitely agree that Netflix has not made a huge mistake.

The video streaming service on Friday announced that it will exclusively offer all-new episodes of the acclaimed yet short-lived comedy, Arrested Development, beginning in 2013.

“Arrested Development is one of the finest American comedies in TV history, and its return through Netflix is a perfect example of how we are working closely with studios and networks to provide consumers with entertainment they love,” Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said Friday in a statement.

Executive producer Ron Howard — who is also the man behind the show’s beloved voiceover — added, “After a long hiatus, I’m dying to finally get back to the narrator’s microphone. ’It’s Arrested…Development.’

Twentieth Century Fox Television and Imagine Television, along with series creator Mitch Hurwitz, will produce the new installments.

Hurwitz in October revealed plans to revive the Emmy-winning series in the form of nine or 10 episodes, each focusing on a different member of the Bluth clan. The standalone concept was likely the result of conflicting schedules, seeing as several members of the original cast now have other obligations (for example, Will Arnett’s Up All Night).

It has yet to be revealed which Arrested Development vets will take part in the reboot, nor how many new episodes can be expected.
Old 11-18-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I wonder if this has already been discussed in the other topic created about this information.
Old 11-18-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Old 11-19-11, 12:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I <3 netflix
Old 11-19-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Nope, try again.
Old 11-19-11, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

More AD
2013!?
A lot can change or go wrong before that....
Old 11-19-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not holding my breath.
Old 11-19-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure I like this deal. I wish they had chosen F/X or something. Are there going to be any ways to see this for those of us that dropped streaming when Netflix split the plans? I mean, besides the obvious less than legal way. Wait longer for DVD/BD?

Then again, a lot can change by 2013. I was hoping we'd get these next summer, or fall at the latest.
Old 11-19-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

could you just not resubscribe to netflix for a few months then cancel?
Old 11-19-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
could you just not resubscribe to netflix for a few months then cancel?
^^ What he said.
Old 11-19-11, 01:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ofcourse you can
Old 11-19-11, 02:06 PM

I happened to stream the entire series while working on the PC a few weeks ago. I have only seen it once previously years ago (DVD marathon via Netflix rental).

I guess I forgot how great that show was and would be nice if this works out.

Ok, enough of me thinking out loud.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.