Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fall 2011 Season: What new dramas are you excited about?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What are you most looking forward to?
Ringer
39.71%
The Secret Circle
19.12%
The Playboy Club
16.18%
Unforgettable
1.47%
Revenge
13.24%
Charlie's Angels
2.94%
Person of Interest
23.53%
Prime Suspect
5.88%
A Gifted Man
0%
Pan Am
23.53%
Terra Nova
45.59%
Hart of Dixie
8.82%
American Horror Story
44.12%
Grimm
11.76%
Boss
4.41%
Once Upon a Time
13.24%
Hell on Wheels
13.24%
Other (please specify)
4.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Fall 2011 Season: What new dramas are you excited about?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Fall 2011 Season: What new dramas are you excited about?

Terra Nova looks cool but I'm not sure day and time.
Old 09-12-11, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

American Horror Story for me
Old 09-12-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ringer, Terra Nova, The Secret Circle, American Horror Story, Grimm and Once Upon a Time.

Yes... I like Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror.
Old 09-13-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm going to check out these and hope at least a couple of them are good.

Walking Dead (new to me )
Pan Am
Terra Nova
The Playboy Club
Ringer
Grimm
Old 09-14-11, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 461 Likes on 317 Posts

Well, this seems as good a thread as any to put my review of Awake then. I saw the pilot at Comic-Con a couple months ago, and have been meaning to write my thoughts on it. Like many of you, I was very interested in it from the trailer, so I made it a point to attend its panel.

They showed the full pilot, and it was pretty cool. I'd say it's pretty much what you'd expect, based on the trailer. It lived up to its promise, but no more. It's certainly very interesting and unique.

As you might have seen, they use different visual techniques to cue you into which world you're watching. The world where the son survived is very cool looking, and the world where the wife survived is very warm looking. It can still be a bit challenging at first to keep track of which events happened in which world.

Very minor pilot and show spoilers:
Spoiler:
The pilot has the detective working on two different cases, one in each world. Although there are different events, some of the facts and events start converging, and one world can inform the other.

He has a therapist in each world, each trying to convince him that the other world is a fiction.

One interesting point during the panel discussion is that Jason Issacs said at one point "just don't ask me which one is real." And the producer or writer at one point said there would be clues about the worlds. Basically, it was almost implying that maybe one world was actually real and one was not, which had not actually crossed my mind.

Someone also asked about the fact that he doesn't seem to be sleeping (since he's always awake in one world or the other), and they mentioned that the fatigue and mental toll would be addressed as the season progressed

Jason Issacs was very good as the main character. He really carries the show. The supporting cast was generally very good too. Well-shot; nice production values.

One of the things they mentioned is that the show is kind of like a police procedural. So he'll have case(s) of the week type of thing. But they also made note that because of his personal situation with his wife and son, that we see a lot more of his character and personal struggles than the typical kind of police procedurals on TV today.

Anyway, it's a series that's definitely worth a look. It's a shame that we have to wait until next year to see it.
Old 04-27-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Terra Nova, Persons of interest, Ringer and American Horror Story are my top 4 that I am interested in.
DAMN.

Out of those, I only watched Terra Nova for more than 2 episodes.

The only new dramas that I stuck with (besides Homeland) was Grimm and Once upon a Time
Old 04-27-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by conscience
American Horror Story, Hell on Wheels and The Secret Circle are must sees from what I've seen of them so far. I'll catch Ringer, but I am not necessarily excited by it.
Originally Posted by conscience
Dang - I forgot all about Boss! And it's in the poll. I am going to catch that too. Fingers crossed that Grammer gets a good role.
I caught all of AHS, Boss and Ringer. I dropped HoW and am forcing my way though The Secret Circle (doubt I will watch a second season).

I did not list Revenge, but I am really enjoying it and glad I got into it. Also watched all of Homeland which I did not list.

Currently watching midseason shows ...Apt. 23 and Scandal. I gave up on Awake after two episodes.

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I'll try Pan AM, Prime Suspect and the Playboy Club....but I'm not super excited about any of them.
Old 04-27-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts

So a [almost] post season report card:

Checked out:

Prime Suspect Fantastic, Bello carried the show once they got past the sexist crap early on. The cast started to gel really well by the end. Miss this one already. As far as procedurals go, I loved it.

Person of Interest Really solid, but still not high on the must watch list on the DVR. Not "grand" enough. Razor thin long term story arc. Caveziel started out like the next Jack Bauer but they've really toned that down which is disappointing. It helped make the mundane procedural aspect more exciting.

Terra Nova Prime SyFy material. Probably would have survived there. Lots of wasted potential. Probably would have dropped it anyway.

Awake Fantastic. Premise is solid and acting is top notch. My most anticipated delivered. Only real complaint is that Isaacs delivery can sometimes verge into nails on a chalkboard territory.

Alcatraz Total bust. Watched 3-4 and it was a bore. Hard to care for any of the characters.

American Horror Story Suprisingly fun. Wasn't on my radar before the season began, but was very enjoyable.

Hell on Wheels Have them all on the DVR. Haven't gotten to them yet.
Old 04-27-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
I would add to my votes Awake and Alcatraz.
Liked Alcatraz, no big loss if it's not renewed.

Awake is great, I'll miss it if it's not renewed.

Terranova... meh!

Surprised that I didn't vote for AHS.

And WTF is The Secret Circle??? and why was I excited about it? LOL!
Old 04-27-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Hell on Wheels and Secret Circle are my most anticipated. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Terra Nova, Once Upon a Time and American Horror Story don't suck.

And I'm probably the only one here, but I think Pan Am looks like a lot of fun, sort of a lighter version of Mad Men.
Hell on Wheels - Got better as it went; good supporting cast. Looking forward to Season 2
Secret Circle - Started strong, but I gave up a while back
Terra Nova - Blurgh
Once Upon a Time - Better than expected, and very imaginative
American Horror Story - Weird, gothic fun
Pan Am - Nice fluff

Surprises:

Person of Interest - Tough, stylish procedural with some wry humor
Revenge - Thickly-plotted soapy fun. My favorite of the season
Old 04-29-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Hell on Wheels - Got better as it went; good supporting cast. Looking forward to Season 2
Secret Circle - Started strong, but I gave up a while back
Terra Nova - Blurgh
Once Upon a Time - Better than expected, and very imaginative
American Horror Story - Weird, gothic fun
Pan Am - Nice fluff

Surprises:

Person of Interest - Tough, stylish procedural with some wry humor
Revenge - Thickly-plotted soapy fun. My favorite of the season

Pretty much agree. Though I did give up on Hell on Wheels because I forgot about it. Never really watched Once..Time or Person of Interest, though the latter is something I'd like to try.

Revenge is the surprise of the season. It has really picked up since the hiatus (which always hurts serial shows). And I really did like Pan Am. Hope it is renewed. I'd also like to watch Grimm because I thought it might have potential, but I keep putting it off - I think all the eps are on on-demand.

Shows I've given up on this season:
Alcatraz
Don't trust the B
--- - like the lead, but don't like the humor
The Firm - kinda trying to watch them on-demand, but I've missed a few weeks
Hart of Dixie
Hell on Wheels (I just plain forgot about it)
Justified - missed a couple of weeks and just forgot about it. Never been real high on my "must-see" list
Necessary Roughness - 1st USA show I've given up in a long time
Nikita
Once Upon A time - the couple of eps I watched were not that good
Ringer - just got predictable and boring -- never cared about the char.
Secret Circle -
Vampire Diaries
Most of these CW shows that I gave up on is because they are not on on-demand and I don't feel like sitting through commercials.

Still watching:
The Office, Parks and rec, the Middle, Cougartown, Modern Family, Suburgatory, Rules of Engagement, Raising Hope -- though none of these (except maybe P&R) make me laugh that much. Some don't hardly make me laugh at all --- I just watch them for the story.
In Plain Sight (I'm actually glad this is ending. I'm getting sick of Mary's bitching), Fairly Legal, Psych, Royal Pains (a virtual encyclopedia of obscure rare diseases),Hawaii Five-O, Make it or Break It, Castle, Body of Proof, Glee (sometimes), Mentalist (sometimes), Fringe (really picking up for me), Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth, AHS, Storage Wars, Comic Book Men, The Killing, Burn Notice (used to be one of my favorite shows, but it's getting tiresome), Covert Affairs, Suits, America's Got Talent

Best Shows on TV (must-see)
Breaking Bad
Psych
The Good Wife
Revenge
Mad Men
Stephen Hawking's Sci Fi Masters : Science Channel -- only watched 2 eps so far, but this is good solid well-thought out science fiction,

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Terra Nova Prime SyFy material. Probably would have survived there. Lots of wasted potential. Probably would have dropped it anyway.
Another show like Jericho. Instead of doing the storylines about the fantastic situation they find themselves in, the focus was about the sixers (or whatever they were) that were rebelling against Terra Nova. They're in the freakin' time of the dinosaurs and barely does that have anything to do with the story. Take a lesson from Buffy -- YOU CAN DO BOTH.

And for the fifth year in a row, the Network that has sunk the lowest from it's once grand position ... the frakking HISTORY CHANNEL -- a virtual stew of half-ass reality shows and boring competitions. Vote Chumley for president!

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 04-29-12 at 01:19 AM.