DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Office -- 1 Hour Season Finale -- "Search Committee" -- 5/19/11 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/590987-office-1-hour-season-finale-search-committee-5-19-11-a.html)

Matt925 05-20-11 08:03 AM

Re: The Office -- 1 Hour Season Finale -- "Search Committee" -- 5/19/11

I loved the episode. As everyone mentioned spader was amazing, and I liked ray romano, warren buffet and the british chick (that's the catherine tate everyone is talking about? Never saw her before).

I also thought everything creed, angela, kelly and ryan did was hilarious (it's been a couple seasons since I laughed at ryan).

I liked it much better than last week.

JasonF 05-20-11 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Matt925 (Post 10781481)
(that's the catherine tate everyone is talking about? Never saw her before).

http://www.the-medium-is-not-enough....es/DTshock.jpg

Cardiff Giant11 05-20-11 08:40 AM

meh didn't really enjoy it. Seemed like a whole lot of nothing going on.

devilshalo 05-20-11 08:44 AM

[Jim]He creeps me out, but I think he might be a genius.[/Jim]

Goat3001 05-20-11 08:53 AM

A lot of good stuff this episode. The Creed cold open was one of the best in a long time. Ryan also got all the best lines this episode. The interview stuff was great. Maybe dragged a bit towards the end but overall I liked it.

I'm surprised that I don't miss Michael too much yet. The rest of the cast has stepped up. They've spread out enough of the craziness so we're not getting half the show devoted to one character. I also like how smaller characters are getting bigger roles now that Michael isn't eating up half the episodes.

I liked how they "resolved" the Erin and Andy story (I know they'll pick it up again next season but resolved for this season anyway). Andy just wasn't interested and his reasoning was perfect. I'm sure they'll do a little back and forth for awhile and end up together but for now I like it.

I was hoping for more Jim Carey. :(

Groucho 05-20-11 08:59 AM

Catherine Tate is better known in the UK (The Catherine Tate Show, Doctor Who) than she is here.

wz42 05-20-11 09:22 AM

1) Spader! Spader! Spader! Make him the boss and The Office will have YEARS more of being a condender instead of just hanging around.

2) Is Paul Leiberstien (Toby) dying or something? He looked near death during the interviews.

wishbone 05-20-11 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 10781550)
The Creed cold open was one of the best in a long time.

Creed strolling into the parking lot, hopping out of his car, and throwing his keys over his shoulder to a valet that does not exist. :lol:

Finisher 05-20-11 09:29 AM

Glad Gabe is gone.

I think it'll be Tate or Spader. Not sure I could stomach Tate, I don't understand her appeal.

Gizmo 05-20-11 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by wz42 (Post 10781595)
2) Is Paul Leiberstien (Toby) dying or something? He looked near death during the interviews.

He looked really sick.

fumanstan 05-20-11 09:35 AM

I liked Creed, but all the interviews fell flat for me. I didn't find anyone particularly funny, and I had no idea who Catherine Tate was and thought her interview was terrible. Spader was decent, and I'm disappointed they didn't do more with Carrey. It just felt like none of the plot lines went anywhere interesting to me. New manager? Erin/Andy? Erin/Phyllis? Nothing of note actually happened.

Kind of a weak finale for me after a great previous episode.

iggystar 05-20-11 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by wz42 (Post 10781595)
1) Spader! Spader! Spader! Make him the boss and The Office will have YEARS more of being a condender instead of just hanging around.

Yeah, he was distractingly thin.

Spader...hands down. He gave Jim permission to speak at an interview he was conducting. His scene with Dwight! Can you imagine the craziness that could ensue with both of them in the office? Epic.

I loved Ryan this episode and when he told Jim to lay off his schtick, called him James, then closed his little closet door, I almost fell off the couch.

onebyone 05-20-11 10:16 AM

I liked the episode a lot, but didn't love it. I was very excited to see Carrey and then, when that was all we got, I couldn't help but feel disappointed.

I am watching next year no matter what, but if they picked up Spader that would be great. He's perfect for it, and I don't think that it is beyond the realm of possible that he would do the show. *fingers crossed*

raven56706 05-20-11 10:21 AM

when spader looked at the camera, i was rotfl

great episode imo...

is toby sick?

Double_Oh_7 05-20-11 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 10781440)
I feel like people are overstating the size of James Spader's star. Not to mention that he's already done a tv show. If 30 Rock can get Alec Baldwin, Spader doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility.

The guy did win a butt-load of Emmys for BL. But I think Spader just likes to work, it doesn't matter to him what medium it is. I would love to see Spader get the gig, but I'm not holding my breath.

raven56706 05-20-11 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 10781707)
The guy did win a butt-load of Emmys for BL. But I think Spader just likes to work, it doesn't matter to him what medium it is. I would love to see Spader get the gig, but I'm not holding my breath.

its tough to replace people on shows but Spader took Boston Legal and ran with it... you have to respect that

cdollaz 05-20-11 10:50 AM

I wonder if Creed is even aware that they are interviewing people to replace him.

fumanstan 05-20-11 10:54 AM

It was weird that during Jim's talk outside that Creed's office was entire closed and blinds down.

Dubya 05-20-11 11:04 AM

Tate (who I had never heard of before last night) was the worst part of the episode IMO. Spader would be a more interesting choice but from reading online reports it seems Tate is the odds on favorite to get the gig.

Shady12 05-20-11 11:09 AM

Thought last week's episode was great, this one, meh.

The Creed stuff was awesome.

Erin needs to whiten more than just her first four front teeth. When she smiled the front ones were bright white, the rest were very yellow. Never noticed before.

I also noticed Toby looked different, and not in a good way.

I don't see how they could possibly hire Catherine Tate after her interview.

Jim is who SHOULD be manager.

kstublen 05-20-11 11:43 AM

Upon further reflection, it isn't that these episodes were per se bad, they were just very inconsistent. They both delivered a lot of laughs, but unfortunately the laughs were punctuated with some stuff that either just didn't work or slowed the show down.

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 10781279)
Also...that was Jim Carrey's appearance? Really?

Yeah, the set-up and pay-off with him only talking about the Finger Lakes was funny, but he was just criminally underutilized in the episode.

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 10781279)
There were some awesome moments throughout, especially with Oscar and Ryan. Hope Gabe comes back next season.

I said it before, but I loved Ryan's line to Stanley: "Oh no, Stanley, you'll live forever..." I lost it at that and figured that was all we'd see of Ryan for the whole episode, but as someone else mentioned, his closing the door after giving James advice was hilarious as well.

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 10781758)
I wonder if Creed is even aware that they are interviewing people to replace him.

I noticed that as well and thought it was really weird and figured we'd get some sort of payoff.

majorjoe23 05-20-11 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Shady12 (Post 10781793)
Jim is who SHOULD be manager.

But when he was co-manager they showed it really wasn't very good at the job, and it turned him into kind of a jerk. Even in this episode we saw the staff meeting and interviews totally get away from him.

kstublen 05-20-11 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 10781881)
But when he was co-manager they showed it really wasn't very good at the job, and it turned him into kind of a jerk. Even in this episode we saw the staff meeting and interviews totally get away from him.

I agree; he is definitely more suited to being a salesman than to being a manager.

As for letting the interviews and staff meeting get away from him, I don't blame him for that, since things had taken such a bizarre and unexpected turn, lol.

shizawn 05-20-11 12:16 PM

Loved it! The cold opening was fantastic and Spader was awesome. Hope that Tate lady doesn't get the job. I thought she was awful.

chuckd21 05-20-11 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 10781611)
Glad Gabe is gone.

I think it'll be Tate or Spader. Not sure I could stomach Tate, I don't understand her appeal.

http://www.themorningstarr.co.uk/wp-...erine-tate.jpg