DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Office -- 1 Hour Season Finale -- "Search Committee" -- 5/19/11 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/590987-office-1-hour-season-finale-search-committee-5-19-11-a.html)

windom 05-19-11 10:00 PM

Re: The Office -- 1 Hour Season Finale -- "Search Committee" -- 5/19/11

The biggest laughs for me were "Clippy" and Dwight as the burn victim. Great stuff.

Sex Fiend 05-19-11 10:19 PM

I agree with most of the foregoing. The guest stars were mostly distracting and didn't work (as expected) EXCEPT for Spader, who was great. If they bring Spader in as boss next year, my enthusiasm for the show would pick up again. Not too crazy about anybody else. Just going with someone from the remaining cast would work better than anyone - except Spader, of course.

mgbfan 05-19-11 10:23 PM

As funny as last week was, this week ... wasn't. Just dull, boring, repetitive. Did they really need an hour for this?

Patman 05-19-11 10:33 PM

Meh...

Double_Oh_7 05-19-11 10:35 PM

How anti-climactic was that? After a season long build-up, not even a hint to what may happen. That being said, I think we can rule out EVERY name guest star tonight. It's going to either be the British chick, or someone already on the show.

cdollaz 05-19-11 10:37 PM

Spader reminded me of Christopher Walken.

kstublen 05-19-11 10:38 PM

It wasn't very anti-climactic considering all along the producers have been telling us we won't find out until next season.

Groucho 05-19-11 10:44 PM

I thought Ray Romano was the funniest of the candidates. Spader was good too.

astrochimp 05-19-11 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10781087)
I thought Ray Romano was the funniest of the candidates. Spader was good too.

I couldn't stand Romano in ELR but i have to give him credit here, he was good.

PopcornTreeCt 05-19-11 11:17 PM

I hope its Andy. I think they may go that way by denying him the relationship with Erin. I'd be happy with Daryl as well.

JasonF 05-19-11 11:21 PM

I think they'll go with Spader's character, but recast Michael Shanks into the role for the series.

NiCK Crush 05-19-11 11:23 PM

Please God let it not be Catherine Tate.

Draven 05-19-11 11:56 PM

Creed tossing his keys to no one was a highlight. Got a literal lol from me. I also enjoyed Pam as Creed Distractor and Ryan's advice from the closet.

I think the boss will be Andy. He's the only one who didn't do anything wrong.

Also Ellie Kemper looked extremely cute in this episode.

Boba Fett 05-20-11 12:02 AM

Spader was brilliant as expected, as was Creed's lack of spelling ability.

RUSF18 05-20-11 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by mgbfan (Post 10781058)
As funny as last week was, this week ... wasn't. Just dull, boring, repetitive. Did they really need an hour for this?

+1. Loved last week's and was hoping that would signal a return to that type of humor, storyline, flow, etc. I didn't laugh at anything besides Creed. I thought the payoff was going to be Jim (begrudgingly) throwing himself into the pool, which would be nice since he's the only one to show actual managerial capability.

bluetoast 05-20-11 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 10780835)
The Cold Opening with Creed as the manager was great. Loved that he called a meeting without telling anyone, and he was naming people we've never heard of; I would expect no less from Creed.

That was great, he was naming characters from The Jetsons. :lol:

Also...that was Jim Carrey's appearance? Really?

There were some awesome moments throughout, especially with Oscar and Ryan. Hope Gabe comes back next season.

Supermallet 05-20-11 02:26 AM

I like how they only put Carrey in at the end, after setting up the joke as a non-starter earlier in the episode.

But yeah, overall this was incredibly disappointing. I hope Gervais phoning it in as Brent makes people realize he will not be the new boss.

Out of all the guests, Spader was the best, hands down. Romano was good, but obviously has his own show and the character was made to be too wishy washy to be a long term candidate, and Tate was Tate. I wouldn't mind seeing her take over, but if it's got to be one of the guest stars, make it Spader.

Also, Ryan was unexpectedly the best part of the episode. Every time he opened his mouth it was gold. Creed was also great, as was Pam distracting him.

No love for Warren Buffet?

EdTheRipper 05-20-11 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by mgbfan (Post 10781058)

Agreed. Very underwhelming episode, considering that its the season finale. They really didn't do anything to keep me interested in what's coming next.

Osiris3657 05-20-11 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 10781362)
Agreed. Very underwhelming episode, considering that its the season finale. They really didn't do anything to keep me interested in what's coming next.

Yet you'll watch next season anyway...

ytrez 05-20-11 06:56 AM

This may have been the best acting James Spader has ever done.

and...SHUT UP ABOUT THE DAMNED SUN!

RichC2 05-20-11 06:56 AM

naw, James Spader had 5 years of epicness known as Boston Legal.

Then again I give credit to almost any actor that can straight face deliver gibberish (spoilered for size)

Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2wkZfq86kgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy Miller III 05-20-11 07:25 AM

First half was great, second half was just terrible. Talk about treading water...it didn't even attempt to go anywhere, no matter what the writers told us in advance.

Catherine Tate seems like a pretty uninspired choice. Like a few others here, James Spader was definitely the most interesting. :up:

majorjoe23 05-20-11 07:35 AM

I feel like people are overstating the size of James Spader's star. Not to mention that he's already done a tv show. If 30 Rock can get Alec Baldwin, Spader doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility.

Groucho 05-20-11 07:38 AM

I stand by my pick of Tate earlier in the thread. They made a point of mentioning that her character was friends with Jo -- twice. Which is really the only scenario where you can have the search committee "choose" an obviously incompetent candidate.

mphtrilogy 05-20-11 07:50 AM

Thought they could have mined the Creed as Boss a bit more.

Liked Spader and Romano.

Not sure on tate, seemed to come out of left field.
Buffet? wtf?

Gervais was a waste, would have liked to have seen a more in depth in person interview.

Andy would be a solid choice, but a show on this long may need a new take. So Tate or Spader, that could be fun.