Old 05-08-11, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Game of Thrones -- "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things" -- 5/08/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-03-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Ned searches for the truth behind the cause of Jon Arryn's death, and meets a King's Landing blacksmith's apprentice with an interesting family tree. Meanwhile, Jon takes a timid Night's Watch recruit under his wing; Daenerys stands her ground against Viserys in the Dothraki capital; and Sansa and Arya's first jousting tournament is one they'll never forget.

Episode 4 of 10

Trailer:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1176615"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 4 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1176615%26filter%3Dgame-of-thrones%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1176615" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 4 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1176615%26filter%3Dgame-of-thrones%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>

Previous Episode Threads:

"Winter is Coming:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/589...4-17-11-a.html

"The Kingsroad"
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/589...4-24-11-a.html

"Lord Snow"
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/590...5-01-11-a.html

Remember as a courtesy to those, including myself, who are experiencing this material for the 1st time, please stick to discussing this episode. If you want to talk about the books, play Nostradamus and predict what will happen in episode 5, 6 , 10, or talk about season 2, there is that other thread. I know the book lovers here can't help themselves and need to elaborate more than just talking about the episode.
Old 05-08-11, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things" -- 5/08/11

The trailer shows that in this episode there will be a tournament. I wonder if the money put into this series will be sufficient enough for proper action. 2 key elements of the books already were left out or reduced to minor screentime because of the budget.

Last edited by WinterIsComing; 05-08-11 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Remember as a courtesy to those, including myself, who are experiencing this material for the 1st time, please stick to discussing this episode. If you want to talk about the books, play Nostradamus and predict what will happen in episode 5, 6 , 10, or talk about season 2, there is that other thread. I know the book lovers here can't help themselves and need to elaborate more than just talking about the episode.
Re-iterated. Again. Falls on deaf eyes.

Thanks, WinterIsComing for talking openly about a trailer that not everyone watches People just don't get it...
Old 05-08-11, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinata242
Re-iterated. Again. Falls on deaf eyes.

Thanks, WinterIsComing for talking openly about a trailer that not everyone watches People just don't get it...
The tournament was mentioned in the last episode. Any sane human being can assume that there will be a tournament. So whats your problem?
Old 05-08-11, 02:53 PM

Actually the discussion was how the King couldn't afford it.

How hard is it to use spoiler tags? What, it's like one extra button?

Did you just create a Game of Thrones account to toss in spoilers here and there that no one wants?
Old 05-08-11, 03:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I'm interested to see how they deal with
Spoiler:
Gregor's size, or if they're going to leave the "Mountain that Rides" part out
Old 05-08-11, 03:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phod
Actually the discussion was how the King couldn't afford it.

How hard is it to use spoiler tags? What, it's like one extra button?

Did you just create a Game of Thrones account to toss in spoilers here and there that no one wants?
There are no spoilers. If someone wrote there will be knights in this episode you WOULD complain, so Idon'tgiveayaknow.
Old 05-08-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Well the actor playing Gregor, Conan Stevens, is a legit seven feet tall with the physique of a bodybuilder, so I think they're good. He's taller in the book but 7' will suffice.
Old 05-08-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 05-08-11, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrX
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

They got it covered.
Old 05-08-11, 03:36 PM

If you're not going to watch the trailer or even read the synopsis for this episode then why even come into this thread at this point? Apparently, before it airs the only safe thing to say without spoiler tags is "I'm so excited for this episode."
Old 05-08-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obvious troll has been reported. These threads get out of hand quickly enough, we really don't need someone join (apparently) just to piss people off
Old 05-08-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bmoney1023
If you're not going to watch the trailer or even read the synopsis for this episode then why even come into this thread at this point? Apparently, before it airs the only safe thing to say without spoiler tags is "I'm so excited for this episode."
You're right, prior to airing there is "no point" to coming into the episode thread. I do like to subscribe to a thread before it airs so it's more convenient to find it on my subscriptions page after the fact. I can do that without posting, but if I want try to fruitlessly, again, point out that this thread isn't for discussions of things that haven't been shown yet, that's my prerogative.

Can I stay out until I've seen the episode? Yes. But I have self-control which is a attribute sorely lacking by a small handful of people that are privy to more information than those of us that are just watching the show AS IT AIRS. I'm not reading the books, I'm not watching the trailers, I'm not watching the "Next Week on Game of Thrones" segments, etc. If you think I'm alone in that, you really haven't hung around TV Talk very long.

Look, this is a rare show that's based on an already-published work. Yes more information is out there than typical weekly serials, but that doesn't mean it's common knowledge.

No the spoilers that have been posted aren't game-changing or even worth getting worked up about, but it's a slippery slope and one that I, frankly, don't trust someone else to decide for me just because they know what is or is not important; what will and will not be addressed.

Originally Posted by WinterIsComing
The tournament was mentioned in the last episode. Any sane human being can assume that there will be a tournament. So whats your problem?
Again, my point this entire time is "Why are you posting it? Who is it benefiting?" The answer is always the poster. If someone wants to know the answers to things that will happen in a way, that information is clearly out there. There's another thread one can go into for all the spoilery goodness.

Let's not forget the scene with Jamie and Ned talking about a celebratory tournament and Ned flat-out saying that he doesn't like a man to know what he's capable of in battle. I can draw my own conclusions from that. When's it coming? I'd like to find out as it's shown - not when someone decides they want to talk about what is going to happen tonight, for instance.

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Obvious troll has been reported. These threads get out of hand quickly enough, we really don't need someone join (apparently) just to piss people off
I wouldn't go that far. Benefit of the doubt, he's just new and genuinely excited and wants to participate in the community. I fully understand that (obviously as I'm here). I just wish people would realize this is a community that does cater to both halves. Here we shouldn't be talking openly about what hasn't happened unless it's pure speculation or reason, as with every other show that's ever happened. If you want to talk about what will happen, go to http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/590...rs-thread.html - I can guarantee you you won't have to deal with my "crying" there.

Last edited by pinata242; 05-08-11 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
You're right, prior to airing there is "no point" to coming into the episode thread. I do like to subscribe to a thread before it airs so it's more convenient to find it on my subscriptions page after the fact. I can do that without posting, but if I want try to fruitlessly, again, point out that this thread isn't for discussions of things that haven't been shown yet, that's my prerogative.

I'm not reading the books, I'm not watching the trailers, I'm not watching the "Next Week on Game of Thrones" segments, etc. If you think I'm alone in that, you really haven't hung around TV Talk very long.
Apparently I haven't hung around here long then. I don't doubt that there are others who shut themselves off from every possible bit of information about a show's upcoming episode. However, doing that and simply subscribing to a thread before it airs is different than reading all posts in said thread and getting upset because others are discussing what's shown in the previews.

I can understand being upset at some spoilers no matter how minor if they haven't been talked about yet. But just mentioning something that's in the preview for tonight's episode without getting into specific details should be fair game IMO.
Old 05-08-11, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU INCONSIDERATE JACKASS!!!! Some of us don't like to know if there's even going to be an episode before it's time for the show. Personally, I like to turn to HBO and be surprised, but I guess that's out of the question for this week. Thanks for nothing, jerk face.
Old 05-08-11, 04:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

These threads have, unfortunately, gotten unnecessarily snarky.
Old 05-08-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
OH MY FUCKING GOD YOU INCONSIDERATE JACKASS!!!! Some of us don't like to know if there's even going to be an episode before it's time for the show. Personally, I like to turn to HBO and be surprised, but I guess that's out of the question for this week. Thanks for nothing, jerk face.
Spoiler:
There is an episode on tonight.
Old 05-08-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
I would be careful making that kind of remark (even if you are being sarcastic) A Mod might interpret that as a personal attack.
Old 05-08-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can understand being upset at some spoilers no matter how minor if they haven't been talked about yet. But just mentioning something that's in the preview for tonight's episode without getting into specific details should be fair game IMO.
I'm not upset about it, just annoyed. I go through the trouble of not watching previews. DJariya goes through the trouble of spoilering the synopsis. It's not too much trouble to do this instead, for example:

The trailer shows that
Spoiler:
in this episode there will be a tournament. I wonder if the money put into this series will be sufficient enough for proper action. 2 key elements of the books already were left out or reduced to minor screentime because of the budget.

I guess common courtesy is dead
Old 05-08-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And so it's begun
Old 05-08-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Back on topic: CAN'T WAIT!
Old 05-08-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunday has become by far my favorite night of tv. Animation Domination, Breakout Kings, GoT (re-air) and L&O: CI (re-air). Ass, meet recliner.
Old 05-08-11, 05:40 PM

Apparently, before it airs the only safe thing to say without spoiler tags is "I'm so excited for this episode."
In all seriousness, I've read the books and forgotten 90% of what happens in 'em, and that right there is what's aggravating me. It seems that even after the episode airs, you can't even put a question out there regarding what you think might happen in the next episode or what you think of the extra material that's been posted on HBO's own website for ALL to see freely without being called down for spoilers. According to some, you should head on over to the spoiler filled thread, even if you haven't read the books, and put your discussion there, where your good intent will be for naught and you will have the show ruined for you.

It seems like we need 3 separate threads for this show weekly. The "Episode Name - OMNIPOTENT" thread, the "Episode Name - I like the show, watch TV and see trailers/adverts for said show, look at casting news, and I peruse the HBO site weekly" thread, and the "Game of Thrones Episode X Air Date XX/YY/ZZ - I don't even want to know the episode name and want to be surprised when the DVR shows me that a new Game of Thrones has been recorded with the last 2 minutes cut off to avoid the temptation of seeing a trailer" thread.

For those saying to use spoiler tags if in doubt, the way these current threads are, you should just spoiler everything you say. But if everyone does that, there's no real discussion because EVERYONE is scared to death to click on anyone's spoiler tag. If the mods will allow it, I'd love to create 3 separate threads weekly for this show based around what I listed above (with shorter thread titles, obviously ). This way, everyone's happy, nobody's snarky, and nobody has to be scared about getting yelled at because they're not purposely living under a rock so as to be surprised by EVERYTHING. Its a little excessive, but its much better than a TV Talk meltdown over this show.

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Seconded.

Last edited by Gilgamesh1082; 05-08-11 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

^^ I think that's a little too excessive.

I look at it this way. For a heavily serialized show like this, which obviously has alot of passionate fans, once the episode has officially aired, then all plot discussions about this particular episode are fair game. There is no need to go apeshit crazy & spoiler tag everything. If your clicking on this thread without watching this episode, then that's your own damn fault.

I only spoilerize the synopsis because I know alot of people in this forum like to watch serialized shows blind without any knowledge of plots etc and that's fine with me. I add the promo/trailer as a bonus, if it's around online. Noone is pointing a gun to your head to click it. But honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a 30 second promo or 1 minute trailer that ruined an episode for me.

Anyways, only 2 more hours until this airs. We will have threads for alll 10 episodes and that spoiler thread for anyone who feels the need to talk about more than the weekly episode. That should be enough. Case closed. Now, we can stop being snarky and just enjoy and talk about this episode?

Last edited by DJariya; 05-08-11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

This isn't a spoiler. This was written in the Game of Thrones production diary on Who has done a better job raising their children Ned or Cersei?

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...o-survive.html

Here's Cersei's side:

The Good:

- Possesses a deep love for her son Joffrey (though given her standards for appropriate family relations, this could be problematic …)

- Supports her son’s lifestyle choices: “If you want to f**k painted whores, then you’ll f**k painted whores. And if you want to lie with noble virgins, then that’s what you’ll do.”

The Bad:

- Doesn’t seem to spend much quality time with Tommen or Myrcella

- Has a documented history of attempting to murder children.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.