Old 04-30-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 467 Likes on 345 Posts
Game of Thrones -- "Lord Snow" -- 5/01/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-03-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Ned finally arrives at King's Landing, but he's aghast to find out from Robert's advisers that the Crown is deep in debt. Meanwhile, Jon Snow gets off to a rough start with the other recruits at Castle Black, but his commitment impresses Tyrion, who clashes with Benjen over the purpose of the Night's Watch; and Catelyn secretly follows Ned to King's Landing, where she airs her suspicions about the Lannisters to her old friend Petyr Baelish.

Episode 3 of 10

Trailer:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1176102"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 3 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1176102%26filter%3Dgame-of-thrones%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1176102" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 3 - Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1176102%26filter%3Dgame-of-thrones%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>

**Remember this thread is for talking about "Lord Snow" which airs on HBO tomorrow night. If you want to talk about book 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or play Nostradamus about future episodes, books etc, there is that other thread. **

Previous threads:

"Winter is Coming"
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/589...4-17-11-a.html

"The Kingsroad"
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/589...4-24-11-a.html

HBO Viewers Guide:
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/

That other book-related thread for all you Prognosticators:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/590...rs-thread.html

Last edited by DJariya; 05-01-11 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-30-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Lord Snow" -- 5/01/11

Didn't watch the trailer, but the image that pops up is pretty funny.

Old 05-01-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thread

Hey Djariya,

a idea for this thread at the bottom, Might be good to have links to other episode threads/spoiler thread? And maybe links to good websites for news and info, just so when people look for info..they don't have to try and scour the entire thread.

links to hbo viewer's guide and winter-is-coming, tower of the hand and westeros.org, another site that has really good discussion/recaps etc of GoT is twop.
Old 05-01-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
thread

Hey Djariya,

a idea for this thread at the bottom, Might be good to have links to other episode threads/spoiler thread? And maybe links to good websites for news and info, just so when people look for info..they don't have to try and scour the entire thread.

links to hbo viewer's guide and winter-is-coming, tower of the hand and westeros.org, another site that has really good discussion/recaps etc of GoT is twop.
Done
Old 05-01-11, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you for linking to the other spoilery threads. I know we people that haven't read can't be trusted to not ask questions. And since the bookies can't resist the urge to answer a question instead of just letting it lie because, you know, they have to prove they know what we don't.

Yeah, I threw the gauntlet!

Pre-emptive:

Can't wait!
Old 05-01-11, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling this episode is going to be dull. I could be completely wrong.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I'm pretty worried about the talent of the actor playing Jon Snow (Kit Harrington), more so than any other actor in the series. He also seems pretty dull so far. I could be completely wrong.
Old 05-01-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hooray it's GoT day! I like Harrington so far..Not like the character is supposed to have done anything particularly interesting so far. Considering the title of the episode we should be able to judge more tonight. Funny how for the most part there aren't particular portrayals that are universally panned.. I've seen some say that the one that the one that bothers them most is Joffrey..I think after the first two episodes he might be the most perfectly cast IMO. Some say he's not handsome enough, but I'm not sure how handsome he really is supposed to be..Sansa looks at him through rose colored glasses. Unless he was really ugly she was going to see him as her handsome knight in shining armor no matter what.
Old 05-01-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From the Game of Thrones Production Diary:

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/

3 characters to look out for tonight:

Spoiler:
Rakharo

The Dothraki horde is obviously a dangerous crowd to be hanging around with, so Rakaharo looks after Daenerys while her husband, Khal Drogo is off looting and killing.

Yoren

Yoren travels far and wide through the Seven Kingdoms finding recruits (read: violent criminals) for the Night’s Watch – which means he’s become intimately familiar with the many hopeless dungeons and shabby inns that Westeros has to offer.

Jory Cassel

The leader of Ned’s household guard, Jory is also Lord Stark’s wingman on the trip to King’s Landing. He may be the only man that Ned can trust in the entire capital.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-01-11 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 03:08 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

That's three characters!

By the way, that site is hilarious. There's actually a poll asking "Who is to blame for Lady's death?"

Arya's not listed, for some reason.
Old 05-01-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's three characters!
Ooops, fixed. Thx kind sir!
Old 05-01-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Didn't see this thread. Might as well post this here too......

http://store.hbo.com/game-of-thrones...ame-of-thrones
Old 05-01-11, 10:56 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The woman they had play Nan was perfect, she creeped me out a little with her story of winter.

Loved the conversation with Tyrion and Yoren.
Old 05-02-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a suspicion that Tyrion Lannister had something to do with finally getting Bin Laden.
Old 05-02-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode. I so so engrossed the ep seemed to last longer than an hour. Loved seeing Dany showing her brother who's in charge now. and now that she preggers with a boy, she doesn't really need him anymore.

@ Tyrion pissing off the wall
Old 05-02-11, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Great episode. I so so engrossed the ep seemed to last longer than an hour. Loved seeing Dany showing her brother who's in charge now. and now that she preggers with a boy, she doesn't really need him anymore.

@ Tyrion pissing off the wall
^ ^ ^

Perfect tv night. Got to see our favorite win Top Shot; 2 deserving members eliminated on Amazing Race; good new Masterpiece Theater ("Sound Riding"); and then another perfect GoT episode.

The only thing that could top that would be to get news that Bin Laden has been killed.

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-02-11 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-02-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
The only thing that could top that would be to get news that Bin Laden has been killed.
Spoiler alert ...
Spoiler:
Old 05-02-11, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Spoiler alert ...
Spoiler:
Old 05-02-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's because I've started rereading the books since Episodes 1 and 2, but it seemed like they made more changes here than in the first two episodes. Nothing major, but there are some little differences between the books and this episode.

That said, Syrio Forel was exactly as I pictured him all these years (even though he looks nothing like the way Martin describes him in the books).
Old 05-02-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
^ ^ ^

Perfect tv night....
Seems like you have spoilers for other shows there? I don't watch those shows, but you may piss off some people if you're spoiling other recently aired shows in here. Not everyone may clear their DVRs in the order you do.
Old 05-02-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As someone who didn't read the books, and wasn't worshipping the show since it was announced as so many have... I wasn't sold after the first two episodes. I felt like I had no idea where the show was going, half what was going on 90% of the time, and nearly ready to drop it. It looked beautiful, had great acting, but the story just was confusing and dull. I felt like it might end up being just this battle for power type of a story, again, not knowing anything about the series save watching the first two episodes.

But this episode sold me. It expanded on a lot, solidified a ton of the plot lines from the first two episodes, and really drew me into the show and the storyline. I felt like this, or at least a lot of the plots from this episode, should have been drawn into the pilot. The stuff with Winter coming, and the short bursts of the Dothraki (Spelling, I know.)... It all is what obviously is going to make the show so great, and what made the books so good that they have as many followers as they do. The first two episodes, focused too much on the Starks, and particularly the stuff with the youngest son getting shoved. This episode, everything came together, and the plots that clearly make the story work were finally focused on. Most importantly, I felt like this episode is where they finally explained what was going on with those particular plots. I felt like I had no clue what the hell they were driving at, what the story was doing, or what those particular plots were about... I was incredibly confused. Now, I feel I know what's going on with those plots, and feel like I have finally been drawn in. So for me, this episode is head and shoulders above the first two episodes, as someone who never read the books and never read anything about where the show was going or any backstory.
Old 05-02-11, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This episode was.....just so.

I'd have to think that this is the episode that will rope the non-book readers in for good.
Old 05-02-11, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode! Loved the dialogue between Tyrion and benjen, also the conversation/sword play between ayra and Illio? (the sword guy).

The interaction between cersei and joffrey was great as well

sure, they changed things..but in the end..not a big deal.
Old 05-02-11, 02:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Seems like you have spoilers for other shows there? I don't watch those shows, but you may piss off some people if you're spoiling other recently aired shows in here. Not everyone may clear their DVRs in the order you do.
Thanks, spain. I fixed the one reference that needed a spoiler so that it didn't give anything away (other than the results were final but that shouldn't have surprised anyone with the finale coming up next week). The other shows were just generally described with no names or details revealed.

I'll be more careful in the future (and try to remember that West Coast people may not have even had the chance to see the live airing yet, much less DVR or On Demand). Thanks again for the reminder.
Old 05-02-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Great episode! Loved the dialogue between Tyrion and benjen, also the conversation/sword play between ayra and Illio? (the sword guy).

The interaction between cersei and joffrey was great as well

sure, they changed things..but in the end..not a big deal.
The dialogue really drove this episode, I was particularly impressed with the scene between Jamie & Ned.
Old 05-02-11, 08:39 AM

My husband hasn't read the books, and I think this episode is what really drew him in to the series as well. He was pretty meh about the whole thing after the first episode (as was I), but last night he even asked me to pause the show before the preview for next week started when he had to walk away for a minute.

This episode had a lot of changes from the book, but I absolutely loved them. I'm really impressed with what they've done so far. I was worried about the actor who plays Jon after the first couple episodes, but he did a great job with this one. My only complaint: not enough direwolves! This series needs way more cute fluffy puppies who tear throats out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.