Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Old 05-08-11, 01:07 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 5280
Posts: 3,413
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

I've watched The Office since episode 1 and have loved all the episodes. I have kept an open mind to this show loosing Steve Carell, but this episode sucked! For the first time I can honestly say I did not laugh once. Half way through it I turned to my wife and said this show won't last. I will see what happens by the end of the season, but I don't have high hopes anymore.
Old 05-08-11, 01:10 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,594
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

It's one episode without Carrell. It's far to early to determine whether or not this show can make it without him. No matter how bad you thought this episode was.
Old 05-08-11, 08:43 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Doug Heffernan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Stuck in traffic on the Queensboro Bridge
Posts: 3,253
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

My DVR cut off just as Deangelo walked in with a hospital gown. What happened in the last couple minutes?
Old 05-08-11, 08:49 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
boc4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The edge of insanity
Posts: 2,817
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

I thought this was much better than the last few have been. I'm not really thrilled with Will's character, but I thought the writing was strong. Ryan telling Kelly to get back to work had me rolling.
Old 05-08-11, 09:13 PM
  #55  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan View Post
My DVR cut off just as Deangelo walked in with a hospital gown. What happened in the last couple minutes?
<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/DaWKdmOKcAx39EBXlP23iw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/DaWKdmOKcAx39EBXlP23iw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 05-09-11, 01:44 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,740
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
That really is meaningless as you'd expect Michael Scott's last episode to be more highly rated.
Not only that, some people might have incorrectly assumed it was the season finale since it had that sort of feel to it.
Old 05-09-11, 01:48 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,740
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

I really liked the scene where Jim snuck back into the inner circle. It really had the vibe of the original BBC series.

Also watching Daryl sell out was pretty funny, as was the Ryan/Kellie sub plot.
Old 05-09-11, 02:20 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
ben12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Where I live?
Posts: 3,519
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I think I'll be dumping this show. Some of the episodes weren't even that good with Carell, without him, I'm done.
I'm the opposite. I never liked the Michael-focused episodes. I think this show is its best when they focus on the whole office. I think this episode showed how much better the show can be without Michael hogging up all the screen time.
Old 05-09-11, 06:38 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,332
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

This is one of "Five Not Very Good Ideas in Television"...

3. Going forward with The Office, sans Steve Carell.

What happens if you combine going without Sheen in a reboot of his comedy and giving an expensive redo to Couric? You still come up way short of the egregious mistake that is The Office going on without Carell. Come on. Stop milking this thing. The sitcom has had a creatively rocky past two seasons and has mined pretty much all it can from the original premise of awkward moments in the workplace. Any more is just strip-mining, and that’s just bad for the environment (and your credibility). Knowing when to let go is hard. Mean people might imply that you should have let go two seasons ago. (Hi. Good to see you again.) Nicer people will say this season was completely unnecessary. There’s a very good chance that everyone will shake their heads in disapproval for next season’s comeback.

Could a revamp shake things up, creatively? Maybe, if it was done right. A celebrity replacement isn’t the answer. Retooling the concept entirely might be more effective. But there’s no reason to be the final season of Scrubs. Nobody needs to be that. Come on. The money’s been mined. Syndication is in place. Opt for dignity. Think about the legacy.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bas...d-ideas-186220
Old 05-09-11, 07:13 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Nice to see they're basically calling it after only one episode without Carell

Seriously though, I'll agree there were some rough patches over the last couple of seasons, but I think creatively this season has been consistently great and a real return to form. When it comes to The Office, I think there are some people out there who are determined to dislike it no matter what. I'll admit if there is a bad episode or if jokes fall flat or if plots are weak, but I'm not going to go into the show and expect to be disappointed. It's not always as funny as it used to be, but it's not usually terrible and often time it really is good.

It's just like what has happened with The Simpsons. Yeah, there was a big creative slump, but in recent years they've actually been trending upward; this season has been pretty good overall and I think last season was actually great from top to bottom, but some people are too stubborn to admit that.

Oh, and that article's dig at Scrubs was totally unnecessary. The J.D. episodes were, admittedly, pretty bad, but once they got rid of J.D. I think Scrubs 2.0 showed some real promise, and I know I wasn't alone on the board in thinking that.
Old 05-09-11, 07:17 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 14,481
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

I thought the last season of Scrubs was quite good.
Old 05-09-11, 07:18 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Allentown,PA
Posts: 1,812
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post

Oh, and that article's dig at Scrubs was totally unnecessary. The J.D. episodes were, admittedly, pretty bad, but once they got rid of J.D. I think Scrubs 2.0 showed some real promise, and I know I wasn't alone on the board in thinking that.
Yeah Scrubs 2.0, by the end of their run, I felt was better than than most of the last couple seasons of original Scrubs.
Old 05-09-11, 09:48 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,124
Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Yeah, calling it after one episode is a bit pre-mature. We need to see the core cast without guest stars for a couple episodes to see how this will be, and we'll hopefully get a glimpse of that this week.
Old 05-09-11, 10:07 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 7,024
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

I don't think the guy that wrote the article was basing it on the one episode. I think he was just saying it shouldn't go on without Carell in general.
Old 05-10-11, 09:59 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 39,079
Received 696 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

I think the issue is that even after one episode, the show feels very different. I kept expecting Michael to pop in and then realized he won't do that any more. Even episodes that weren't about Michael still featured him in some way, and arguably the whole show is really about him and the way he runs his office.

To remove him puts the more secondary characters "in charge" and that's just not what we've seen for the past 6 seasons. I'm not writing off the show yet but I didn't think this episode was particularly great. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle it.
Old 05-10-11, 10:56 AM
  #66  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,511
Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

didn't care for Carrell's send off, or this episode. Really just waiting to see who the new boss will be to see if they can breathe new life into this dying corpse. I didn't think Jim and Michael's goodbye was that touching at all... and the fact that he would leave that night and sneak out on his "family" like that, sort of really showed to me what an asshole the Michael Scott character really is. As for the following episode, there were a few laughs, but all in all just the same tired crap we've gotten from The Office for the past 3 years.
Old 05-10-11, 11:13 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Clearly you missed the point as to why he left the way he did.
Old 05-10-11, 11:17 AM
  #68  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,511
Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Clearly you missed the point as to why he left the way he did.
Care to explain it to me in a way that doesn't make Michael Scott come across like a douchebag?
Old 05-10-11, 12:46 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Michael didn't want to leave the office in a manufactured way. If you think about it, how many people in the office respected or even really liked Michael? He knew that them throwing a party for him would be one of those things they did just out of obligation or tradition, not because they really wanted to.

Everything about the way Michael left, to me, was appropriate. It showed maturity, growth, a bit of humor, and an understanding that life goes on.

Take his parting words to Toby, for example. Here is a guy who has never really done anything to Michael but be nice and try to win him over. And yet throughout the years, Michael levied insult after insult at Toby and was just plain awful. Michael's final words to Toby were polite and cordial and even suggested a willingness to meet his brother. This, to me, shows how selfless Michael was in the way he left. That he would overcome his immense hatred for Toby, just to be a nice guy was a big deal to me.

Similarly, he made amends with Kevin for making fun of his weight and appreciated Phyllis's gift of knitting him something; remember his reaction to the first time she knitted him something as a gift?

And yet, he still remained playful and sort of got back at Stanley for disrespecting him all these years by giving him an incomplete gift; where Oscar always thought so little of Michael, Michael embraced it and gave him a joke gift that he knew Oscar would take seriously.

But for the people he really cared about, he gave them a proper goodbye. For Dwight, he gave him sincere praise, something Dwight had wanted for years. It wasn't mushy, they didn't need to hug at the end; an official recommendation was all that was necessary there. For Andy it was showing faith in him and encouraging him to actually be confident; it didn't work initially, but by the end of the episode we see Andy step up to the task. For Erin it was a recognition of his role as a father figure and letting her know she could always call him. Jim and Pam ended up a little differently since Jim caught on and Pam met him at the airport, but they still got proper goodbyes.

He didn't want his last day to be inauthentic, he wanted it to be a normal workday so he could see everyone under normal circumstances without the pretense of it being his last day. It wasn't as though he put no thought into it; he made a list, prepared things, and put a lot of thought into his goodbyes. He cared deeply about these people and gave them each what he thought they deserved in the end; some got more than others, but that's to be expected. To me, his letter of recommendation for Dwight meant more than a face-to-face goodbye ever could have accomplished; same thing with the other characters.

And the party he knew he wouldn't be attending? He made it so everyone else could enjoy it; he encouraged them to get the type of cake that they would all enjoy, not just the alienating kind he likes. I don't think anything about the way he left should be categorized as him being a "douchebag."
Old 05-10-11, 12:51 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,080
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Michael didn't want to leave the office in a manufactured way. If you think about it, how many people in the office respected or even really liked Michael? He knew that them throwing a party for him would be one of those things they did just out of obligation or tradition, not because they really wanted to.

Everything about the way Michael left, to me, was appropriate. It showed maturity, growth, a bit of humor, and an understanding that life goes on.

Take his parting words to Toby, for example. Here is a guy who has never really done anything to Michael but be nice and try to win him over. And yet throughout the years, Michael levied insult after insult at Toby and was just plain awful. Michael's final words to Toby were polite and cordial and even suggested a willingness to meet his brother. This, to me, shows how selfless Michael was in the way he left. That he would overcome his immense hatred for Toby, just to be a nice guy was a big deal to me.

Similarly, he made amends with Kevin for making fun of his weight and appreciated Phyllis's gift of knitting him something; remember his reaction to the first time she knitted him something as a gift?

And yet, he still remained playful and sort of got back at Stanley for disrespecting him all these years by giving him an incomplete gift; where Oscar always thought so little of Michael, Michael embraced it and gave him a joke gift that he knew Oscar would take seriously.

But for the people he really cared about, he gave them a proper goodbye. For Dwight, he gave him sincere praise, something Dwight had wanted for years. It wasn't mushy, they didn't need to hug at the end; an official recommendation was all that was necessary there. For Andy it was showing faith in him and encouraging him to actually be confident; it didn't work initially, but by the end of the episode we see Andy step up to the task. For Erin it was a recognition of his role as a father figure and letting her know she could always call him. Jim and Pam ended up a little differently since Jim caught on and Pam met him at the airport, but they still got proper goodbyes.

He didn't want his last day to be inauthentic, he wanted it to be a normal workday so he could see everyone under normal circumstances without the pretense of it being his last day. It wasn't as though he put no thought into it; he made a list, prepared things, and put a lot of thought into his goodbyes. He cared deeply about these people and gave them each what he thought they deserved in the end; some got more than others, but that's to be expected. To me, his letter of recommendation for Dwight meant more than a face-to-face goodbye ever could have accomplished; same thing with the other characters.

And the party he knew he wouldn't be attending? He made it so everyone else could enjoy it; he encouraged them to get the type of cake that they would all enjoy, not just the alienating kind he likes. I don't think anything about the way he left should be categorized as him being a "douchebag."
Very well said. I agree almost completely.
Old 05-10-11, 12:52 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,856
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

, kstub
Old 05-10-11, 01:05 PM
  #72  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,511
Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

the fact that he made a point to go talk to each personal individually meant that he still saw these people as his family, and he ultimately short changed them with the ability to say goodbye appropriately. douchebag move, IMO. but that's OK, it's just a show... and (now) a lousy one at that.
Old 05-10-11, 01:26 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,740
Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Toby was video conferencing with his brother within minutes of first mentioning him to Michael. I think there is a chance they will have the opportunity to express their feelings to Michael at some point.
Old 05-10-11, 01:33 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,332
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Michael didn't want to leave the office in a manufactured way. If you think about it, how many people in the office respected or even really liked Michael? He knew that them throwing a party for him would be one of those things they did just out of obligation or tradition, not because they really wanted to.

Everything about the way Michael left, to me, was appropriate. It showed maturity, growth, a bit of humor, and an understanding that life goes on.

Take his parting words to Toby, for example. Here is a guy who has never really done anything to Michael but be nice and try to win him over. And yet throughout the years, Michael levied insult after insult at Toby and was just plain awful. Michael's final words to Toby were polite and cordial and even suggested a willingness to meet his brother. This, to me, shows how selfless Michael was in the way he left. That he would overcome his immense hatred for Toby, just to be a nice guy was a big deal to me.

Similarly, he made amends with Kevin for making fun of his weight and appreciated Phyllis's gift of knitting him something; remember his reaction to the first time she knitted him something as a gift?

And yet, he still remained playful and sort of got back at Stanley for disrespecting him all these years by giving him an incomplete gift; where Oscar always thought so little of Michael, Michael embraced it and gave him a joke gift that he knew Oscar would take seriously.

But for the people he really cared about, he gave them a proper goodbye. For Dwight, he gave him sincere praise, something Dwight had wanted for years. It wasn't mushy, they didn't need to hug at the end; an official recommendation was all that was necessary there. For Andy it was showing faith in him and encouraging him to actually be confident; it didn't work initially, but by the end of the episode we see Andy step up to the task. For Erin it was a recognition of his role as a father figure and letting her know she could always call him. Jim and Pam ended up a little differently since Jim caught on and Pam met him at the airport, but they still got proper goodbyes.

He didn't want his last day to be inauthentic, he wanted it to be a normal workday so he could see everyone under normal circumstances without the pretense of it being his last day. It wasn't as though he put no thought into it; he made a list, prepared things, and put a lot of thought into his goodbyes. He cared deeply about these people and gave them each what he thought they deserved in the end; some got more than others, but that's to be expected. To me, his letter of recommendation for Dwight meant more than a face-to-face goodbye ever could have accomplished; same thing with the other characters.

And the party he knew he wouldn't be attending? He made it so everyone else could enjoy it; he encouraged them to get the type of cake that they would all enjoy, not just the alienating kind he likes. I don't think anything about the way he left should be categorized as him being a "douchebag."
Except all this growth and maturity and awareness happened completely overnight. Not in one single episode before this did he show any signs of it. It would have been much better if Michael had gone out like... MICHAEL.
Old 05-10-11, 01:37 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Inner Circle" -- 5/05/11

I dunno, I think over the course of the season we've seen small, subtle changes here and there.

And in the original Office, David Brent experienced a similar, fairly drastic change at the end.

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
the fact that he made a point to go talk to each personal individually meant that he still saw these people as his family, and he ultimately short changed them with the ability to say goodbye appropriately. douchebag move, IMO. but that's OK, it's just a show... and (now) a lousy one at that.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, because I think you're totally missing the point. Glad to know you think the show is lousy now too; I guess that means you'll stop posting in the future threads too?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.