Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 12/11/10 - H: Paul Rudd - MG: Paul McCartney

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: SNL 12/11/10 - H: Paul Rudd - MG: Paul McCartney

Meryl Streep on Ice was pretty funny. Good impression.
LOL surprised this did not get a bigger laugh from the studio audience or maybe they did not get it?

Nobody laughed at the kissing family sketch and it seemed like the audience was offended and that was the only funny thing about that sketch lol.
Old 12-13-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Sorry you didn't like it. No doubt, we'll miss seeing you post your thoughts towards futures shows. I really enjoyed last night's show.
Actually the way it works is he then comes in and posts every week about how he stopped watching it years ago and how it sucks now.
Old 12-13-10, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too much Kristen Wiig for my tastes.
Old 12-13-10, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is next week's Jeff Bridges/Eminem a repeat?

If it's new i don't get why they need to do the Christmas episode this early in December if they have another new episode closer to Christmas....
Old 12-13-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
Too much Kristen Wiig for my tastes.
Typically I agree, but I can't even remember her being on this show.
Old 12-13-10, 04:02 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Is next week's Jeff Bridges/Eminem a repeat?

If it's new i don't get why they need to do the Christmas episode this early in December if they have another new episode closer to Christmas....
Um... Christmas is on a Saturday this year. So the 18th is the last show before Christmas.
Old 12-13-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I like the Stefan character, but Bill Hader seems to be enjoying it too much. He's broken character the last couple of times. The audience appears to like the character too, do I see a Stefan movie in the future?
OK...let's talk about this a sec. Hader rarely breaks character, usually the only other time being Keenan's scared straight skit and usually only then because Keenan goes the extra step to try and break them, but he does it EVERYTIME he does Stefan. I think the shit is hilarious, but it's really odd to me that he breaks each and every time he does the thing and it's really only a solo performance for the most part. Everyone knows the audience usually revels in a character break so any thoughts on him doing it intentionally to beef up the audience reactions? A potentially subliminal "Wow! If he even thinks it's funny then it has to be hilarious!" sort of thing? Thoughts?
Old 12-13-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It almost seems like Hader doesn't read the script for the Stefan skits before the live show. Almost like he wants to be surprised by the things he has to say and when he sees it live for the first time it cracks him up! I think Stefan is HILARIOUS and I actually have a friend just like him! LOL Every week he wants to go to a different club for some weird night they are having!
Old 12-13-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Paul played fifth and sixth songs too... the studio audience got to see Back in the USSR & I Saw Her Standing There
I don't suppose these have been posted by NBC anywhere? Didn't find them on nbc.com or Hulu.
Old 12-13-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

It's on Netflix streaming but as far as I can tell there is only 2 Paul performances, the end one completely cut out.
Old 12-13-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HotThang
It almost seems like Hader doesn't read the script for the Stefan skits before the live show. Almost like he wants to be surprised by the things he has to say and when he sees it live for the first time it cracks him up! I think Stefan is HILARIOUS and I actually have a friend just like him! LOL Every week he wants to go to a different club for some weird night they are having!

Me too (well, not the nightclub thing), but i know a guy named Blaine who is just like Stefan! That character just kills me!
Old 12-13-10, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I, too, know a guy who is just like Stefan, and I completely agree that it makes the character about a million times more hilarious than he would otherwise be.

Also, even though I've heard the song about a jillion times, this was the first time I really listened to the lyrics of Jet. Man, that song makes no sense. But who cares -- Macca killed it. Objectively speaking, this performance was very good, but probably not the best of the SNL season. Subjectively, the fact that it was Paul Freaking McCartney easily took it over and above the competition.
Old 12-14-10, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Um... Christmas is on a Saturday this year. So the 18th is the last show before Christmas.
I know, that's exactly why im asking...

The Paul Rudd episode was very christmassy so that's why i was wondering if the Jeff Bridges one was a repeat or not. Or if that one will also be very christmassy?

Unless SNL doesn't do ONE christmas episode but multiple ones until they go on break?
Old 12-14-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

OK, it's been two years and I still haven't laughed even once at Fred's Obama imitation. I can't decide if there's just nothing particularly funny about Obama or whether he's just too hard to imitate. In the history of SNL from Chase's Ford all the way through Will Farrell (and even Will Forte's) W., they've all been good for a laugh, but Fred isn't getting any comic mileage from Barack. Do any comedians or impressionists anywhere else do a funny Obama? Is the guy really that hard to make fun of?
Old 12-14-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I, too, know a guy who is just like Stefan, and I completely agree that it makes the character about a million times more hilarious than he would otherwise be.
I need to meet this guy, because Stefan is an instant FF for me. I find it painfully unfunny.
Old 12-14-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
OK, it's been two years and I still haven't laughed even once at Fred's Obama imitation. I can't decide if there's just nothing particularly funny about Obama or whether he's just too hard to imitate. In the history of SNL from Chase's Ford all the way through Will Farrell (and even Will Forte's) W., they've all been good for a laugh, but Fred isn't getting any comic mileage from Barack. Do any comedians or impressionists anywhere else do a funny Obama? Is the guy really that hard to make fun of?
I believe the difference is that other than the impersonation of his mannerisms (well done at that), they do almost nothing to draw humor at his expense. For nearly three years (from the campaign up through the recent election) they have treated him with kid gloves, and it's usually the people around him that are ridiculed for humorous purposes (be it Sarah Palin, Joe Biden, etc). Obama is used as nothing more than a straight man for other jokes. There are numerous things they could shred Obama with if they chose to, but they don't. So unless we are supposed to find a dead-on portrayal of his extremely boring personality a fountain of humor I think that is why his appearances are so reliably unfunny.
Old 12-15-10, 01:49 AM

Stefan is hilarious, especially when you realize you can easily make up your own jokes for him.

The hottest new club is Squeee.
Old 12-15-10, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I believe the difference is that other than the impersonation of his mannerisms (well done at that), they do almost nothing to draw humor at his expense. For nearly three years (from the campaign up through the recent election) they have treated him with kid gloves, and it's usually the people around him that are ridiculed for humorous purposes (be it Sarah Palin, Joe Biden, etc). Obama is used as nothing more than a straight man for other jokes. There are numerous things they could shred Obama with if they chose to, but they don't. So unless we are supposed to find a dead-on portrayal of his extremely boring personality a fountain of humor I think that is why his appearances are so reliably unfunny.
There's not really anything particularly funny about Obama. His speech is measured, he doesn't have any odd quirks of mannerisms. I really have no idea how someone could do a memorable parody the man. He's just so... bland.
Old 12-15-10, 12:47 PM

I feel like this Jay Pharaoh thing is my own personal "Emperor's New Clothes" - am I the only one who doesn't find him funny? He does a good impersonation of Denzel Washington, but the material isn't even particularly funny in that, his strongest bit.
Old 12-15-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ In my opinion, Pharaoh needs an actual character, rather than relying too much on impressions. He is unquestionably talented, but without any output in terms of new characters, he will be the black Frank Caliendo in no time.
Old 12-16-10, 03:03 AM

i would be down for a "Stefan" movie
Old 12-16-10, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
I know SNL isn't the only one guilty of this, but the two men kissing gag has become as played out as farts, and kicks in the groin.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBQf23EAyOI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBQf23EAyOI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

never not funny