Reload this Page >

Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Conan O'Brien - Shows, Projects, and News

Old 11-09-10, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
re: Conan --> Series Discussion Thread --> 2010-2011

I normally don't watch late night talk shows, but I thought overall it was a fun premiere for Conan. I'll try to catch this every once in a while.
Old 11-09-10, 05:56 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

I laughed at Andy's indecent proposal (about using the mask to get with Conan's wife).
Old 11-09-10, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed the show. Love Coco, but I can tell its no big budget network show. Seemed a little on the cheapy side. Also, would love some more Conan bits instead of back to back to back guests.

Last edited by siddd5; 11-09-10 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-09-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Great opening, and a great nod to the Godfather Toll Booth Scene. Then once Conan came on live, and I just remembered how unfunny he is, and that he is more annoying then funny.
Old 11-09-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else catching the retro (late) Carson-era flare behind the set design? Really dig that, both the overall look at the meaning behind it.

Solid work for a premiere. Enjoyed the way they confirmed that Conan retained at least some of his intellectual property, dug the extension of the mask bit ("It's very authentic. Inside, it smells like tears.") from the web Q&A sessions, and the rock-out with Jack White was a lot of fun.
Old 11-09-10, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by siddd5
Enjoyed the show. Love Coco, but I can tell its no big budget network show. Seemed a little on the cheapy side. Also, would love some more Conan bits instead of back to back to back guests.
His set looked really, really cheap. I don't think it has anything to do with TBS, though, as Lopez Tonight has a very impressive set that blows this out of the water.

I didn't like the premiere at all. Andy Richter still highly annoys me to no end and the interview with Seth Rogan was rather painful.

I would have rather seen a snazzy set, no Andy, and a better first guest. In fact, he should have just had Lea Michele come out first.
Old 11-09-10, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i didn't think it was the strongest premiere, but the prerecorded bit at the beginning was phenomenal.
Old 11-09-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by nightwing82
His set looked really, really cheap. I don't think it has anything to do with TBS, though, as Lopez Tonight has a very impressive set that blows this out of the water.

I didn't like the premiere at all. Andy Richter still highly annoys me to no end and the interview with Seth Rogan was rather painful.

I would have rather seen a snazzy set, no Andy, and a better first guest. In fact, he should have just had Lea Michele come out first.
The set looked pretty nice to me, not sure what you are talking about. Nothing over the top fancy but it works fine and is nice looking. I actually think his set looks rather nice compared to the Lopez Tonight set.. Besides that fact is a "snazzy new set" really more important than the show itself ?? I also disagree with the Andy comment, he isn't my favorite part of the show but I think him and Conan work well together.

As far as the show loved it and really glad to see him back. The opening was great and very well done loved Jon Hamm and the bits with him working different jobs before landing at TBS (because of his guardian angel Larry King ). I don't think you can really knock the first episode because, well its a first episode. They'll probably start doing more bits and sketches like they did as time goes on, but for a couple episodes I'm guessing they're just getting back in the swing of things. Besides that fact I really enjoyed Jack White and Lea Michele, I am however not much of a Rogen fan. The one thing I will say is that I miss Max, but oh well I suppose. Hopefully he'll drop by now and again.

Also to some people in this thread.. is the thread crapping really necessary? I never understand the need of some people to do this. If you don't like it don't watch and don't bother making comments.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-09-10 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-09-10, 08:44 AM

Dear Internet,

I watched the show this morning before work. I loved the opening bit. The show overall kept the general feel of the prior shows, which I liked. My first impression of the set was that it was very small and plain. The show probably spent their budget on their staff, and if that's the case, I can live with the set design. It did look nice when they panned to the audience and showed it was more than just bleachers.

I was disappointed that they played with the set's moon so early. I wondered if the moon moved during the first commercial break, and thought it would have been a fun gag for a little while and mess with people before admiting that its mobile.

I was happy to see the masturbating bear cameo, but did notice they never called him by name. Now all we need it Triumph.

Seth Rogen was a bad interview. Not the best way to start off. I'm looking forward to Tom Hanks tonight. I'm sure he'll give the show a great rub.

Signed,
One of the rabbits using the Internet.
Old 11-09-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Looks like it got pretty good ratings. It crushed what Lopez tonight was doing in that spot, so i'm sure TBS is happy.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_...deed0946d825fe

Strong Sampling for Conan on TBS:
The fast affiliate numbers will be released later today, complete with total viewers and demographic data. But based on the overnight ratings, Conan O’Brien’s new late night talker on TBS launched with a solid 2.8 in households in the 11 p.m. ET hour. Comparably, that bested year-ago occupant Lopez Tonight, which now airs at 12 a.m. ET, by 133 percent (2.8 to 1.2). More details to follow.
Old 11-09-10, 08:55 AM

I watched up until Seth Rogen came out and Conan says to him, "so, you just got engaged..." then had to turn it off.

It was a strong start, with a great opening, but I don't like the short pre-interview sounding interviews.

I doubt I'll ever tune in again. It was hard enough just finding TBS.

I'd appreciate late night shows more if they had one guest and got to spend more time interviewing and interacting. That would make shows more interesting, rather than just getting someone for 6-10 minutes who's only there to promote an upcoming movie, then shuffling them out to get to another guest there to promote something.
Old 11-09-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

the 1 guest thing only works for 30 minute shows. won't work on an hour-long show.
Old 11-09-10, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
the 1 guest thing only works for 30 minute shows. won't work on an hour-long show.
After Conan's monologue, comedy bits, and commercial breaks, that pretty much leaves him with 30 minutes for the guests. So the 1 guest per night would work.

I think it would strengthen the show because they would have to focus on grabbing guests that would bring in viewers, rather than people only there to promote a movie and tell a quick story.
Old 11-09-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan G
After Conan's monologue, comedy bits, and commercial breaks, that pretty much leaves him with 30 minutes for the guests. So the 1 guest per night would work.

I think it would strengthen the show because they would have to focus on grabbing guests that would bring in viewers, rather than people only there to promote a movie and tell a quick story.
Well what were Seth Rogen or Lea Michelle promoting? Rogen's movie doesn't come out until January, and Glee premiered weeks ago. That said, what would Tom Hanks, Jack McBrayer, Jon Hamm, Michael Cera or Julie Bowen be plugging right now? Most of their shows are also off and running except for Mad Men which just finished its season...
Old 11-09-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think 1 guest would work too. It felt like very little time was given to each guest, so I wouldn't mind an extended interview with a single person. I guess it depends who the guest is though.
Old 11-09-10, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well what were Seth Rogen or Lea Michelle promoting? Rogen's movie doesn't come out until January, and Glee premiered weeks ago. That said, what would Tom Hanks, Jack McBrayer, Jon Hamm, Michael Cera or Julie Bowen be plugging right now? Most of their shows are also off and running except for Mad Men which just finished its season...
That's my point. Why not give Seth the full time? Let Conan and Seth riff back and forth the remainder of the show. What do you really accomplish in a 6 minute interview?

Tom Hanks is a huge name and should be the only guest tonight.
Old 11-09-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This airs way too late in Canada. For those that don't get TBS, the earliest airing is at 12 am (but only for those that get The Comedy Network). All us other schmucks have to wait until 1:05 am.

I tuned in for the opening, the monlogue, and then some of the banter between Conan and Andy, then bailed before the first guest came on. Nice to see Conan back on the air again, but I can't see myself tuning in very regularly at 1 in the morning.
Old 11-09-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was lucky enough to attend the show last night and it was an awesome experience with a very energetic crowd. There wasn't much edited from what I can tell. Only minor complaint is it's like a half a mile walk from parking garage where the audience lines up to the studio, but walking around the Warner Studio lot is pretty cool. At the end of the show they gave out a Conan Rubber Duck and Conan cupcake from Magnolia Bakeries:

Spoiler:

I do agree that Conan should move out of the usual two guests, end with comedian/musical guest format. Letterman does a hour show and sometimes has one guest for the whole show. I also like what Jimmy Fallon does with guests, while he usually has a brutal interview with a guest, he has them participate in bits afterward. It's nice seeing the guests do something beside being interviewed. Or Conan could squeeze in more bits like when he was doing Late Night, after the first guest he would have a bit afterwards.
Old 11-09-10, 12:23 PM

Not a regular viewer, but I saw parts of this new show. Something that struck me watching this, as well as the wrap-up episodes of The Tonight Show before he left, is how old Conan is looking now. Which isn't surprising considering he's closing in on 50 in a few years. I think he should modify his routine somewhat, constantly doing the like roboto-dance or leaping about and giggling when you're that old starts to look a little pathetic, imho.
Old 11-09-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-09-10, 01:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
This airs way too late in Canada. For those that don't get TBS, the earliest airing is at 12 am (but only for those that get The Comedy Network). All us other schmucks have to wait until 1:05 am.

I tuned in for the opening, the monlogue, and then some of the banter between Conan and Andy, then bailed before the first guest came on. Nice to see Conan back on the air again, but I can't see myself tuning in very regularly at 1 in the morning.
I'm on the west coast. When I looked up show times on my DVR, I got:

Ch. 75 @ 8pm (but this is Halifax CTV, and I don't pay for time-shifting, so I can't watch it)

and

Ch. 210 @ 1:05am (CTV-HD, which is nice... but 1 AM? I'll never be able to watch it at that time.

Next week, it shows up on Ch. 41 (Comedy) at 9 or 10... I can't remember. That's not bad... but not HD. Still, I could actually watch it at that time. So, I'll probably end up DVR'ing the HD broadcasts to watch the next night, but watch the SD broadcasts live whenever I'm in the mood.

So yes, us Canadians don't have very good options for watching the show right now.
Old 11-09-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I'm on the west coast. When I looked up show times on my DVR, I got:

Ch. 75 @ 8pm (but this is Halifax CTV, and I don't pay for time-shifting, so I can't watch it)

and

Ch. 210 @ 1:05am (CTV-HD, which is nice... but 1 AM? I'll never be able to watch it at that time.

Next week, it shows up on Ch. 41 (Comedy) at 9 or 10... I can't remember. That's not bad... but not HD. Still, I could actually watch it at that time. So, I'll probably end up DVR'ing the HD broadcasts to watch the next night, but watch the SD broadcasts live whenever I'm in the mood.

So yes, us Canadians don't have very good options for watching the show right now.
Online is an option: http://www.tbs.com/video/conan/
Old 11-09-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
That's not bad... but not HD. Still, I could actually watch it at that time. So, I'll probably end up DVR'ing the HD broadcasts to watch the next night, but watch the SD broadcasts live whenever I'm in the mood.
So you'd watch it twice just to see it in HD? As far as I could see there was nothing about this show that would compel me to want to see it in HD. I'll DVR it in SD in my bedroom and watch it in the morning in bed.
Old 11-09-10, 01:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

the full episodes won't seem to load for me, but the clips work.

That said, I doubt those clips are uploaded by 9PM MST on the date of the airing.
Old 11-09-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

'Conan' premiere audience tops Jay Leno, David Letterman

Conan O'Brien's TBS debut had a median age of just 30

'Conan' premiere audience tops Jay Leno, David Letterman

Conan O'Brien could end his basic cable comeback this morning and consider the whole experiment a wild success.

The Monday, November 8 launch of TBS' "Conan" drew a whopping 4.155 million viewers, topping all of O'Brien's late-night competition on the networks and cable.

That's impressive enough, but TBS is eager to boast about not just the sheer volume of the "Conan" audience, but also its youth. The overall viewership includes 3.285 million viewers among adults 18-49, a group that includes 2.451 million viewers between 18-34.

The audience for the "Conan" premiere, which featured Seth Rogen, Lea Michele and Jack White as guests, had a median age of just 30.

"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" drew only 3.5 million viewers, while "Late Show with David Letterman" stood at 3.4 million in early estimates. Neither network show was even within sight of "Conan" among young viewers.

Does anybody expect "Conan" to equal those numbers in the days and weeks to come? Of course not. But for now? TBS is happy.

Very happy.

"Conan’s audience has been very vocal online, and he clearly made a smooth transition from Twitter to TBS," gushes Turner Entertainment Networks President Steve Koonin, somewhat stealing one of Conan's jokes. "Conan delivered an extraordinary audience and stands out as the youngest late-night talk show on television."

The second episode of "Conan," with guests Tom Hanks, Jack McBrayer and Soundgarden, airs on Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.