TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "The Rocky Horror Glee Show" -- 10/26/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Glee -- "The Rocky Horror Glee Show" -- 10/26/10

Originally Posted by BJacks
I'm not sure how long it's taken me to realize this, but Will Shuester's kind of a dick.
Why do you feel this?

Loved the episode and the Rocky Horror stuff.
Loved the new guy in the Golden underpants.
Old 10-27-10, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen

Amber Riley had good vocals on Sweet Transvestite, but that's a song that really needs to be sung by a guy and it totally fell flat for me with her singing it.
The problem is that there was nothing else for her to do. And sitting her on the sidelines wasn't fair. It probably would have worked better if Chris Colfer or Kevin McHale had played Frankenfurter, but that would have left Riley out of the show.

That's always going to be a problem for Amber while she's on Glee. She has a strong voice, but most people don't appreciate the R&B diva cloth from which she's cut. Especially when she's the only person on the show that sings in that mold.
Old 10-27-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Why do you feel this?
Well this season especially with his approaches towards Emma, and last season his spurning of her while going after other women. And he repeatedly puts his own interests ahead of the kids. His false sense of absolute self-righteousness makes it 100x worse.
Old 10-27-10, 07:22 PM

Really was underwhelmed by this episode. It was more like it was riding the coattails of RHPS than trying to create something exciting and original. What boundaries were pushed? What chances were taken? It was totally safe and the songs were fairly well done but nothing exciting.

On a positive note I am still jamming to River Deep, Mountain High from the Duets episode. That one song has more positive energy than the entire RHPS episode.
Old 10-27-10, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BJacks
Well this season especially with his approaches towards Emma, and last season his spurning of her while going after other women. And he repeatedly puts his own interests ahead of the kids. His false sense of absolute self-righteousness makes it 100x worse.
Yep. The sole reason Will wanted to do RHPS was to spend time with Emma. He didn't take into consideration that if the show bombed, the Glee kids would be the ones to suffer for his selfishness. Also, he has a patronizing approach toward Emma. He realizes that her new relationship is good for her, but still tries to make designs on her. Still having feelings for Emma is fine. But Will shouldn't interfere with Emma's life like he has.
Old 10-27-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big RHPS fan and thought they did pretty good with this... I wasn't a fan of Mercedes' version of Sweet transvestite, but either than that I enjoyed the show. Would have like to seen Santana doing the Magenta part in Time Warp, but thought this was a much more "organic" episode rather then when they try to shoe horn a subject in.
Old 10-27-10, 07:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

This show is jumping the shark like crazy. First Arty is playing Football and now Will is going slapstick crazy?

Man, I miss his wife. She may have had a ridiculous plot last year, but she was nice on the eyes.
Old 10-27-10, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
This show is jumping the shark like crazy. First Arty is playing Football and now Will is going slapstick crazy?

Man, I miss his wife. She may have had a ridiculous plot last year, but she was nice on the eyes.
She was the ugliest woman in the show. What in the world were you looking at?
Old 10-27-10, 09:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

She's a hottie! Man, I miss Boston Public.
Old 10-27-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's a hottie! Man, I miss Boston Public.
I miss Boston Public too.
Old 10-27-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I miss Boston Public too.
I loved her on Nip/Tuck "Oh hi asshole!"
Old 10-27-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Anyone who has a problem with Artie playing football is giving a pass to the INSANE depiction of how a high school glee club works. It is just as ridiculous, but most people don't seem to know any better.
Old 10-27-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She was the worst part of season 1.
Old 10-27-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a fan of RHPS, probably have seen it at least ten times, and I used to listen to the soundtrack all the time.

I loved this show and how they stayed pretty faithful to the original. Those of you who hated the episode and aren't familiar with RHPS probably hated it because it was confusing (if you weren't familiar with RHPS). Little things like what Brittany and Santana were saying during the "Toucha-toucha-touch me" dance - part of the original. And that was a great dance.

A few more things - Will's wife was probably the worst part of Season 1, really annoying. This was the Evil Will showing up, his personality seems to change pretty often. I caught the cameos by Meat Loaf and the guy who played Brad, but the scene was awkward, it was out of place. This was the first time in a long time that I've actually liked all the songs, though having Mercedes play a transvestite didn't make sense. I guess they were trying to keep it family friendly.
Old 10-27-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
Anyone who has a problem with Artie playing football is giving a pass to the INSANE depiction of how a high school glee club works. It is just as ridiculous, but most people don't seem to know any better.
No matter how unrealistic their portrayal of a high school glee club is, it is still more realistic than a high school football having a disabled kid on the team and using him as a battering ram during actual games. You can't actually believe that portraying perfectly choreographed dance moves, etc. is just as ridiculous as pushing a wheelchair on a football field during actual game play.
Old 10-27-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by celmendo
On a positive note I am still jamming to River Deep, Mountain High from the Duets episode. That one song has more positive energy than the entire RHPS episode.
It's on my October playlist and I listen to it every morning! LOL
Old 10-28-10, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree but that's par for the course with Ryan Murphy. He and his writers ruin their shows quicker than any I've seen. And he's a horrible film writer/director as well.

That's not to say Glee isn't fun to watch; it is. However, no consistency is keeping it from being a great show.

I actually enjoyed the episode but wish they would start on some character development. The previous episode showed promise but they keep interrupting with these concept episodes.
Old 10-28-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

The linear notes from Glee: The Music, The Rocky Horror Glee Show indicate that Naya Rivera (Santana) sang Science Fiction Double Feature. There were times it sounded like her to me, but at other times it sounded a lot more like Dianna Agron (Quinn). Guess my ears were playing tricks on me?
Seriously? I thought it sounded like Quinn and looked like her lips/mouth too. Crazy.

And as someone who used to be in high school show choir, I have WAY less problems with how they portray the Glee Club than I do with Artie being on the football team. Learning songs/choreography immediately is a suspension of disbelief because the musical numbers are an intricate part of the show. Who wants to watch them learning the songs all hour and sing them at the end each week? Meanwhile, Artie being on the football team is a ridiculous notion that doesn't serve any reasonable purpose.
Old 10-28-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No matter how unrealistic their portrayal of a high school glee club is, it is still more realistic than a high school football having a disabled kid on the team and using him as a battering ram during actual games. You can't actually believe that portraying perfectly choreographed dance moves, etc. is just as ridiculous as pushing a wheelchair on a football field during actual game play.
Considering that a typical "glee" club learns 3 or 4 songs a semester (not a week), doesn't have a full orchestra waiting to play at the drop of a hat, doesn't learn complex dance moves in a day, doesn't have brand new sets in a week for a one-off number that isn't part of their actual show (hell, the RHPS set had a WORKING ELEVATOR), doesn't allow people to sing full solos during competitions, and numerous other "suspension of disbelief" moments...then yes, it is just as ridiculous. But that's part of the show.

That particular complaint just bugs me...the whole show is unrealistic in its depiction of nearly everything that happens at a high school. Why Artie on the team is any more ridiculous than anything else on the show is just silly.
Old 10-28-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Considering that a typical "glee" club learns 3 or 4 songs a semester (not a week), doesn't have a full orchestra waiting to play at the drop of a hat, doesn't learn complex dance moves in a day, doesn't have brand new sets in a week for a one-off number that isn't part of their actual show (hell, the RHPS set had a WORKING ELEVATOR), doesn't allow people to sing full solos during competitions, and numerous other "suspension of disbelief" moments...then yes, it is just as ridiculous. But that's part of the show.

That particular complaint just bugs me...the whole show is unrealistic in its depiction of nearly everything that happens at a high school. Why Artie on the team is any more ridiculous than anything else on the show is just silly.
The show is completely unrealistic, but damn if I don't love it.
Old 10-28-10, 10:06 AM

That particular complaint just bugs me...the whole show is unrealistic in its depiction of nearly everything that happens at a high school.
Too true. Just what I'd like to sit down to is watching a whole season of a group of average talented 16 year olds struggling to master three or four Stephen Foster songs.

I'd also include the gripes about Jessalyn Gilsig who, for me, brought another dimension to the show. Right now, all we have is Coach Sylvester as the "enemy," and I liked it with Will struggling both at home (and Terri's "stressful job," fake pregnancy and whining) and in other arenas. The more odds against the cast of characters, the more entertaining it all is.

John Stamos is fine, but I liked Ken Tanaka's presence at school and his contrast as a competetor for Emma's attention (I hope she doesn't get over too many of her quirks; I thought her OCD was funny]. Although, Santana's squirming at the sight of Stamo's is entertaining. How that plays out could be interesting.
Old 10-28-10, 10:09 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That particular complaint just bugs me...the whole show is unrealistic in its depiction of nearly everything that happens at a high school.
Have to agree with this. Just the idea that, at this point in the story, being in glee is a one-way-ticket to unpopularity -- despite the fact there are several of the school's most popular (and attractive) cheerleaders and athletes as members -- is just silly. Not to say guys like Kurt or Artie wouldn't still get bullied, but it would be for other reasons than merely being in glee.
Old 10-28-10, 10:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

To be fair, this show is neorealism when compared to Nip/Tuck.
Old 10-28-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, isn't each episode shot during the course of a week? And during that time the cast members are able to learn all of the singing and choreography? High School budget issues aside, if the cast can learn the stuff in real life in that short a time span, and considering we don't know how much time the average Glee episode covers, it's conceivable that the characters could be learning all the stuff within a few days or a week.

It is, however, not even remotely possible that a kid in a wheelchair would be pushed down a football field as a battering ram.

The two complaints are like comparing apples to oranges. Artie playing football is way more ridiculous than people quickly learning choreography and having stage sets, etc.
Old 10-28-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, isn't each episode shot during the course of a week? And during that time the cast members are able to learn all of the singing and choreography? High School budget issues aside, if the cast can learn the stuff in real life in that short a time span, and considering we don't know how much time the average Glee episode covers, it's conceivable that the characters could be learning all the stuff within a few days or a week.

It is, however, not even remotely possible that a kid in a wheelchair would be pushed down a football field as a battering ram.

The two complaints are like comparing apples to oranges. Artie playing football is way more ridiculous than people quickly learning choreography and having stage sets, etc.
I'm not saying it's not possible, because the actors are obviously doing it. But if you are saying that having a kid in a wheelchair play football wouldn't happen in real life, then I'd argue that nearly everything the glee club does in their "sport" wouldn't happen either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.