Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "The Rocky Horror Glee Show" -- 10/26/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Glee -- "The Rocky Horror Glee Show" -- 10/26/10

It's ok so far, but "Over at the Frankenstein's place" wasn't long enough to get a taste. I agree about the songs probably being more about selling things on iTunes, but at least "Dammit Janet" gave you a good taste of the song. Stamos sang Edie's song long enough to appreciate it, but he butchered it. He simply doesn't have the pipes. Admittedly, few do. But it just didn't sound good with the severe limitations of his voice.

Nice that they opened the show with the lips and Science Fiction/Double Feature. I was afraid they'd leave that out, because I didn't think the show would open up with the lips.

edit to add: Sweet Transvestite was terrible. The song needs to be song by a man. It's not just about vocals, but attitude and whoever that girl was just kind of sang it like any ordinary song. Weakest part and this show is kind of making me sleepy. I'm not even sure why the female teacher sang "Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me." They already cast the brown haired girl as Janet. If the role is too adult, then you might as well have the school's staff do the entire play and would that really be less "creepy"? Teens doing this in a real show would actually be fine, while seeing the staff doing it would be creepy in my opinion.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 10-26-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ I think Rocky Horror fans will be let down by this ep., while Glee fans who dislike Rocky Horror will enjoy it.
Just to be clear, I'm a fan of the stage version of Rocky Horror. I just recognize how bad the movie is. It's only good with a crowd of fans.

But ive always loved the music and I really enjoyed the reinterpretations and new orchestrations. And Mercedes killed it. So great.
Old 10-26-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

RHPS fan and Glee fan.

Loved it
Old 10-26-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raul3
i may be the only one but not a fan of the rocky horror show, so i'm not that excited about this...
+1
Old 10-26-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I'm a HUGE RHPS fan and I've been one for many years. I'm very excited about this.
Old 10-26-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the Rocky Horror Glee Show was ok. I really don't care for Carl at all. I like John Stamos but honestly I have hard time buying him and Jayma playing a couple.
Old 10-26-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure how long it's taken me to realize this, but Will Shuester's kind of a dick.
Old 10-27-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
I'm not sure how long it's taken me to realize this, but Will Shuester's kind of a dick.
Yup, I think he's regressed tremendously since the show began.
Old 10-27-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,033 Likes on 851 Posts

Only seen RHPS once, and not in a theater. Enjoyed the episode.
Old 10-27-10, 04:15 AM
Banned

Never seen Rocky Horror but the "Touch-a Touch-a, Touch-me" number was awesome! I'm actually sort of interested in watching the original movie right now, which I believe just got a Blu-ray release this week (I'm sure that wasn't a coincidence)
Old 10-27-10, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yup, I think he's regressed tremendously since the show began.
It's not like he's in a completely different place in his personal life and dealing with situations he's never dealt with before. Oh wait...
Old 10-27-10, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
It's not like he's in a completely different place in his personal life and dealing with situations he's never dealt with before. Oh wait...
I'm not saying it's unrealistic or bad writing. I'm just saying, man he's gotten unlikable.
Old 10-27-10, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I'm not saying it's unrealistic or bad writing. I'm just saying, man he's gotten unlikable.
Unlikeable as a descriptor applies to half the characters in this show, though.
Old 10-27-10, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
RHPS fan and Glee fan.

Loved it
Same here, and I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I wasn't crazy about some of the lyric changes but what the heck.

I was indoctrinated into the world of the RHPS in the summer of 78, and it's been an important film/experience to me ever since. Love the movie, love the stage show, love the soundtrack. So yeah, I'm biased on last night's ep.

On the other hand I can't imagine mining much entertainment out of the Glee version without having seen or at least be familiar with the material.

And was that Santana (and her lips) doing Science Fiction/Double Feature?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-27-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Just to be clear, I'm a fan of the stage version of Rocky Horror. I just recognize how bad the movie is. It's only good with a crowd of fans.

But ive always loved the music and I really enjoyed the reinterpretations and new orchestrations. And Mercedes killed it. So great.

Actually, I was coming back in here to make that clarification. I LOVE RHPS' music, but I really only got into the movie when I got an audio cassette of the movie with audience participation. I also own the DVD where you can see what's going on in the audience and that makes it tolerable. The movie on its own is just mediocre at best with some good songs.

Looks like once again we see eye to eye on an issue!
Old 10-27-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I love Rocky Horror, and I thought the Glee cast did a good job with the songs, but for the most part this was a pretty weak episode, Sue was only the standout in terms of lines and substance, but largely there wasn't much plot wise - it all felt like a puff piece.
Well not exactly... there was a lot of ego coming from Will to push this project once he saw Emma "changing" thanks to Carl. This episode essentially launched an accelerant into what will probably now genuinely become a tempestuous love triangle. Prior to this the sparks/jealousy were "meh" at best.

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
On the other hand I can't imagine mining much entertainment out of the Glee version without having seen or at least be familiar with the material.
More than the iTunes song selling - don't forget that FOX owns The Rocky Horror Picture show AND just re-released it on video in a 35th anniversary edition only last week (day and date with this episode's soundtrack). Coincidence? Hardly. I bet FOX will get more of the Glee generation checking this movie out than would normally have ever considered it.

So seriously - no one caught the Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) and Eddie (Meatloaf) cameos?
Old 10-27-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan

So seriously - no one caught the Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) and Eddie (Meatloaf) cameos?
Caught it - just thought it was best left unmentioned. I was intrigued when I saw their names in the credits, but their scene was kind of awkward and unfunny. I knew it wouldn't happen, but I was secretly hoping they'd perform somehow - or at least see the performance and comment on it.

Nice bit of stuntcasting, but I felt it was really under-utilized.
Old 10-27-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Same here, and I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I wasn't crazy about some of the lyric changes but what the heck.

And was that Santana (and her lips) doing Science Fiction/Double Feature?
I started to get bothered by the lyric changes, then realized this was supposed to be HIGH SCHOOL kids singing these songs, so I let it go.

I think it was Quinn doing the opening.

I am a RHPS fan and thought they did a pretty good job with this. Except for Will. I thought they already established/resolved this juvenile behavior in him in that episode where he bought the car to impress Emma. Him acting like a teenager and wanting to be the lead in the show? Been there, done that, it was annoying the first time.

Other than that, I liked it. I thought Stamos was fine. Kurt did a great job of portraying Riff Raff and I too thought Mercedes kicked ass on Sweet Transvestite, and that's probably my favorite song from the show (I have been Frank for Halloween before ).

I also thought Becky going as Sue for Halloween was awesome. Especially when Sue gave her the megaphone and told her to go yell at some fatties.
Old 10-27-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I am a RHPS fan and thought they did a pretty good job with this.
+1
Except for Will. I thought they already established/resolved this juvenile behavior in him in that episode where he bought the car to impress Emma. Him acting like a teenager and wanting to be the lead in the show? Been there, done that, it was annoying the first time.
Well and *I* thought they'd handled that too in the "Acafellas" episode way back in the beginning of the first season... Will is admittedly starting to get on my nerves too. I'm hoping they are building towards a big slapdown for his ego that doesn't require the glee club to suffer. I would also like them to at least PRETEND that he still teaches Spanish there.

Kurt did a great job of portraying Riff Raff and I too thought Mercedes kicked ass on Sweet Transvestite, and that's probably my favorite song from the show...
Mine is "(There's a Light) Over at the Frankenstein Place". And Kurt's short solo as Riff Raff on that was just brilliant. Unfortunately they cut the number in the episode so it is only available on the soundtrack or iTunes.
Old 10-27-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like RHPS, the movie and the music, but have never been to a live event or anything. I'm a little mixed on this episode. The musical numbers ranged from OK to pretty good. My favorite was easily Touch me. It managed to be sexier than the original even without Jayma in her underwear.

The plot and overall sequence of the show felt really clunky though, like they were just jamming some plot in between the numbers, which is probably close to the truth. All of the theme episodes seem to feel like that and to be fair this one was a lot better done than the Britney episode.

The episode seemed timely with the recent GQ "controversy" which touched on the subject of the appropriateness of the material for kids and Finn's body image issues. Both Finn having body image issues and the club even attempting to put on RHPS required quite a bit of suspension of disbelief. However the most surprising thing was Sue's quite sane monologue near the end.
Old 10-27-10, 09:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mercedes was woefully miscast as Frankenfurter .

I liked Brittany's line about going as a "peanut allergy" for Halloween.
Old 10-27-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was a fine episode. Not really great in terms of plot, but the songs were pretty good for the most part. I liked that they called Will out for his childish behaviour.

I really enjoyed John Stamos on Whatever Happened To Saturday Night? It wasn't necessarily the best vocal performance, but he held his own and the performance itself was a lot of fun.

I thought Cory Monteith sounded great on Damn It, Janet. One of the few times they've given him a song within his vocal range and not used autotune on his voice. And it just goes to show that he sounded great without the help of it, so I wish they'd give him more stuff he's actually capable of singing.

I love Jayma Mays. She was great on Touch A Touch A Touch A Touch Me.

I thought it was pretty funny how Will immediately thought of Kurt for Dr. Frank N. Furter, but that Kurt refused to play him.

Amber Riley had good vocals on Sweet Transvestite, but that's a song that really needs to be sung by a guy and it totally fell flat for me with her singing it.

I think it was Quinn doing the opening.
The linear notes from Glee: The Music, The Rocky Horror Glee Show indicate that Naya Rivera (Santana) sang Science Fiction Double Feature. There were times it sounded like her to me, but at other times it sounded a lot more like Dianna Agron (Quinn). Guess my ears were playing tricks on me?
Old 10-27-10, 11:51 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Mercedes was woefully miscast as Frankenfurter .
she just wanted a chance dammit!
Old 10-27-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

"I suppose I get to play the guy in the wheelchair?"

I liked the "peanut allergy," too. I'm just surprised that she chose a "scary" costume over a slutty one.
Old 10-27-10, 12:51 PM

I thought this was a very entertaining episode. I've given up on the installments making much dramatic sense. But there was topicality in the fallout over the GQ article and what is-isn't appropriate for high school "artistic expression" (the Texas production of "Rent" was nicely referenced).

The guys being insecure about their bodies, while the women...aren't. The "nuttage" line was the standout for me.

But the joy of rehearsal and performance was the star. All extremely well done if not exactly true to how bent "Rocky Horror" is. But it fit nicely with the speech Sue gave. However, I think kids are the ones who bring in "adult" material, rather than it being forced on them by teachers. When I was in high school, we always wanted to do things that the guidance counselors censored.

"Touch me" was a lot of fun, particularly with Brittany and Santana peering in (they've become great assets to this show).

For those not familiar with "Rocky Horror," it's best experienced in a theater with the audience participating. Watching it on DVD.... You'll be mystified as to why it's such a big deal.

I actually thought the Lady Gaga and Spears tribute was "racier" than this "Rocky Horror" show. But it was a nice Halloween treat.

Did anyone watch "Dancing with the Stars" where it was a choreographed version of the GQ spread? So I guess anyone outraged only made the industry amp up its willingness to "exploit" teenager's sexuality I find that, personally, a contradiction; teenagers are nothing but little bundles of exploding hormones. Wishing they weren't or denying they aren't merely leads to it all going underground behind parents' backs...which may be the point. But I don't find it irresponsible to depict it.

Choreography gets a big nod on this episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.