Old 10-05-10, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Glee -- "Grilled Cheesus" -- 10/05/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-05

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Finn has an existential crisis when he sees the face of Jesus in a grilled-cheese sandwich, or thinks he does. Meanwhile, the glee kids engage in a theological discussion after rallying around Kurt when he faces a crisis of his own.

Reported Song List:

Spoiler:
1. Rachel, 'Papa Can You Hear Me?' (Barbra Streisand)
2. Finn, 'Losing My Religion' (R.E.M.)
3. Kurt, 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' (The Beatles)
4. New Directions, 'One of Us' (Joan Osborne)
5. Mercedes, 'I Look to You' (Whitney Houston)
6. Puck, 'Only the Good Die Young, (Billy Joel)
7. Cast of Glee, 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' (Simon & Garfunkel)

Last week was a stinker. Hopefully it recovers this week.
Old 10-05-10, 05:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Grilled Cheesus" -- 10/05/10

At least it's got a good group of songs this week. That's a start. And only one Rachel number, woohoo!
Old 10-05-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo View Post
At least it's got a good group of songs this week.
Very nice selection.
Old 10-05-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm... this article shows the direction that the show will be taking for the first half of the season. Not sure I'm crazy about it, I guess it depends on how preachy they get.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/05/gl...rsial-episode/

'Glee' co-creator Ryan Murphy talks tonight's controversial episode

Spoiler alert: Tonight’s episode of Glee is one of the series best and most emotional hours to date. When Finn (Cory Monteith) sees a religious vision in his grilled cheese (the episode ain’t called “Grilled Cheesus” for nuthin’), he inspires the other New Directions teens — and even Jane Lynch’s Sue Sylvester — to contemplate their own views on spirituality. “I love when people see Jesus in bird droppings on the windows and then there are lines out the door and that seems to happen so often now,” says co-creator Ryan Murphy. “To me, it just shows everybody in our society, particularly young people, are just desperate to believe in something.”

“Grilled Cheesus” is also the series’ most provocative episode to date, and is almost certain to spur controversy. Murphy has always been able to push buttons (hello Nip/Tuck!), but he says that he (and his co-writers Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan) really wanted to provide a balanced depiction of faith and spirituality. “We went through and counted it word by word and line by line,” says Murphy. “Every time somebody said something anti-religion, we made sure somebody said something pro.”

For Glee fans, “Grilled Cheesus” will be a turning point for the season and a timely lesson in tolerance, given the recent rash of gay youth suicides. “This episode starts off our arc about tolerance and respecting other points of view,” reveals Murphy. “That’s what the whole season, particularly the first 10, are about: All our kids rallying around the different people in the glee club who are persecuted and bullied. It’s a very powerful subject, but also we’re doing it with humor.”
Old 10-05-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your wife won't like that...
Old 10-05-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's great to use your show as a means of political and social commentary, but Glee is really overdoing it.

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
Your wife won't like that...
Old 10-05-10, 04:23 PM

“We went through and counted it word by word and line by line,” says Murphy. “Every time somebody said something anti-religion, we made sure somebody said something pro.”
Pick a fucking side, good grief.
Old 10-05-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I made him a card that said 'Heart attacks are just from loving too much'"

"I realize you're only half orangutan but I'm allergic to you lustrous orange mane"

The makers of this show have apparently never stepped foot in an actual high school. Every time a student is singing to the group and you can see the doors behind them, there are ALWAYS students walking in the halls. Shouldn't they be in class? You can't just walk around the halls all day!

Finn murdered Losing my Religion. Terrible >

Last edited by dgmayor; 10-05-10 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 10:24 PM

What a terrible episode. Like spending an hour reading glurgy emails forwarded to me by my aunt.
Old 10-05-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh that episode was terrible. Only the Billy Joel song was good the rest were predictable and boring. The back and forth religious banter reminded me of a few threads in Other except with more singing and less personal attacks.
Old 10-05-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Kurt was great (as usual)...the rest was meh. Way too simplistic of a story, though Chris Colfer easily makes bad scenes and dialogue work. As he did in spades tonight.

Hope next week is more fun.
Old 10-05-10, 10:32 PM

By the way, was that Chris Colfer's brother playing "Young Kurt"? He looks a lot like him.
Old 10-05-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was awful. You could tell how insightful and emotional Murphy thought he was being, but no, just horrible, contrived blah. Hope the season doesn't continue down this path.
Old 10-05-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I knew the religious thing would go over here like a lead balloon. I thought the episode was 2000% better than last weeks crapfest. Loved all the numbers, however I do agree Finn's was the weakest. I thought Rachel did amazingly well with Streisand. I liked the unique takes on 'Bridge' and 'I want to hold your hand.' Puck's Joel was fun too.

Sue's scene with her sister was very powerful.

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Kurt was great (as usual)...the rest was meh. Way too simplistic of a story, though Chris Colfer easily makes bad scenes and dialogue work. As he did in spades tonight..
Ugh. For me, Kurt is like Brittany, better in small doses. His character wore thin on me last year and I really can't stand him anymore. Colfer always feels like he's overacting for me and fails miserably at it. I did enjoy his flashback montage, but mostly because I like Burt's character more than Kurt.
Old 10-05-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
That was awful. You could tell how insightful and emotional Murphy thought he was being, but no, just horrible, contrived blah. Hope the season doesn't continue down this path.
My thoughts exactly.

I really hated Kurt in this as well. I did like his version of "Hold your hand".
Pucks song was fun. I also liked this version of "bridge over troubled water", but I feel that song is overdone in general.
Old 10-05-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I did a book report on 'Heart Attacks', you might want to give it to the doctor... I got a full grade drop because I wrote it in crayon."

Old 10-05-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Ugh. For me, Kurt is like Brittany, better in small doses. His character wore thin on me last year and I really can't stand him anymore. Colfer always feels like he's overacting for me and fails miserably at it. I did enjoy his flashback montage, but mostly because I like Burt's character more than Kurt.
Kurt is one of the few people on the show who seems like a real person. He's not just "the gay kid"...he's flawed, emotional, loving, and more. I just believe him, mores than most of the others.

Sue was also good this week, but as nice as those scenes with her sister are, that character continues to feel like nothing but a gimmick.

I enjoyed last weeks far more. This was okay, but I won't be downloading all of the music as usual. I'll skip Mercedes 1st song...ugh, I stopped going to church for a reason.

And for the record, you can write a show about religion without including religious "arguments" that sound like they came from a 2nd grade Sunday school class. I'm the son of a minister and I've heard enough of that silly stuff to last a lifetime
Old 10-05-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The episode was pretty decent but I was more grossed out by the fact that Finn ate the Cheesus at the end of the episode. Wasn't the sandwich 4-5 days old at that point??!!
Old 10-05-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll bet some of you complaining Bitches are missing Will's crazy wife and the fake baby drama now aren't ya? I've seen nothing but Glee bitching for 2 weeks straight.

Better look out GLEE....some of your fans are turning on you.
Old 10-05-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I knew the religious thing would go over here like a lead balloon. I thought the episode was 2000% better than last weeks crapfest. Loved all the numbers, however I do agree Finn's was the weakest. I thought Rachel did amazingly well with Streisand. I liked the unique takes on 'Bridge' and 'I want to hold your hand.' Puck's Joel was fun too.

Sue's scene with her sister was very powerful.

Agree with this mostly except I hate the fact that anytime someone sings I want to hold your hand, they have to sing it sooooo slow.
Old 10-05-10, 11:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe no one has mentioned Artie playing in the football game

Finn's "Losing My Religion" was brutal. Puck was probably my favorite performance tonight.
Old 10-05-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Agree with this mostly except I hate the fact that anytime someone sings I want to hold your hand, they have to sing it sooooo slow.
Does that happen often? I don't think I've ever heard it sung slowly like that.
Old 10-06-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I'll bet some of you complaining Bitches are missing Will's crazy wife and the fake baby drama now aren't ya? I've seen nothing but Glee bitching for 2 weeks straight.

Better look out GLEE....some of your fans are turning on you.
This weeks was the worst so far. I liked the first two just fine. No turning here, just thought they should have handled it better.
Old 10-06-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kurt is one of the few people on the show who seems like a real person. He's not just "the gay kid"...he's flawed, emotional, loving, and more. I just believe him, mores than most of the others.
Are we talking about the same Kurt? The overly flamboyant gay kid who dresses like a queen in high school? With all the recent stories of gay teens committing suicide due to peer pressure, I just don't see this as realistic in any way. I'm willing to be corrected on that since I haven't stepped foot in a high school in 15 years, but to me, it's just as unrealistic as everything else on the show.

This is also the same kid who set up his dad with someone just so he could try and be closer to and try and convert the quarterback into a lover despite him not being gay and having a girlfriend(and thought to have impregnated another girl)?

No, his character is just as preposterous as the rest of the cast.

Sue was also good this week, but as nice as those scenes with her sister are, that character continues to feel like nothing but a gimmick.
Now see, I think that she keeps the Sue character somewhat grounded in reality and helps keep her from being a complete caricature. I guess it could be considered a gimmick, but without her sister she would be a complete heartless bitch.
Old 10-06-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't really say if this ep was better or worse than last weeks. It actually had a plot, but that plot sucked...and there were fewer funny lines. The musical numbers weren't just video remakes, but the music selection wasn't my cup of tea either.

I'm not religious but I wish people who proselytize against it would realize that they usually come off sounding like assholes, overreacting because of their parents failed indoctrination or something. Kurt's an ass most of the time anyway, and his first scene with his dad only reinforced that. I had a hard time empathizing with him, even though I've been in similar circumstances.

Originally Posted by tofu View Post
The episode was pretty decent but I was more grossed out by the fact that Finn ate the Cheesus at the end of the episode. Wasn't the sandwich 4-5 days old at that point??!!
I think it was closer to 2 weeks old.

Timeline:
Finn Creates the Cheesus
Finn wins the game (Friday)
Shue congrats Finn for the win in glee/Merc invites Kurt to church (the next school week)
Merc takes Kurt to Sunday service
Finn eats the Cheesus

I guess if they played football on Thursday nights it could have only been about a week old.

EDIT: Actually I missed a couple of things...

Timeline:
Finn creates Cheesus (Friday at latest)
By power of Cheesus team wins game (Friday night)
Finn pledges week of Jesus for Glee (Monday)
Burt has attack (Friday, in french Kurt says he is going to the Friday singalong in 2 hours)
Finn confronts Kurt in school about not being told (next Monday?)
Finn Prays to be QB, despite closest thing to father being in coma...
Cheesus smites QB Sam(Friday)
Shue congrats Finn in Glee for making QB (Monday)
Kurt goes to church (Sunday)
Glee meets up at school, performs routine...
Finn eats Cheesus

So we are looking at a minimum of 17 days.

Last edited by wmansir; 10-06-10 at 01:32 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.