TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "Grilled Cheesus" -- 10/05/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Grilled Cheesus" -- 10/05/10

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are we talking about the same Kurt? The overly flamboyant gay kid who dresses like a queen in high school? With all the recent stories of gay teens committing suicide due to peer pressure, I just don't see this as realistic in any way. I'm willing to be corrected on that since I haven't stepped foot in a high school in 15 years, but to me, it's just as unrealistic as everything else on the show.

This is also the same kid who set up his dad with someone just so he could try and be closer to and try and convert the quarterback into a lover despite him not being gay and having a girlfriend(and thought to have impregnated another girl)?

No, his character is just as preposterous as the rest of the cast.
I disagree. He's admittedly one of the only cast members to get a real story, but I always feel like he's a real person, even with the flamboyant stuff. His relationship with his father is always good stuff, whereas characters like Rachel's parents are treated like a joke. And I really felt he dropped the chip on his shoulder and tried to see that, ok, maybe this wasn't what he needed for himself but his friends were legitimately trying to help the only way they knew how. I saw his character start in one place in this episode and end in another. Which is something I can't really say for anyone else in the cast. Rachel and Finn are still more or less where they were in Season 1, so at least Kurt is going somewhere.

Now see, I think that she keeps the Sue character somewhat grounded in reality and helps keep her from being a complete caricature. I guess it could be considered a gimmick, but without her sister she would be a complete heartless bitch.
I'm ok with Sue being a heartless bitch. Those people exist in the world. Her sister has always struck me as a forced way to humanize her, especially as someone that has no problems pointing out how no one can physically live up to her standards. Again, I do like the scenes with her sister, but they just always strike me as coming from a different show.

I did laugh when she once again made fun of Santana's boobs though.
Old 10-06-10, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

People have the right to confess their beliefs!

Sue: Only at BET awards
Old 10-06-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

This episode felt more like Glee to me than last week's

+1 on the gross sandwich and Heat's wife not liking the tolerance angle
Old 10-06-10, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I knew the religious thing would go over here like a lead balloon. I thought the episode was 2000% better than last weeks crapfest. Loved all the numbers, however I do agree Finn's was the weakest. I thought Rachel did amazingly well with Streisand. I liked the unique takes on 'Bridge' and 'I want to hold your hand.' Puck's Joel was fun too.

Sue's scene with her sister was very powerful.

I agree. It was much better than the Brittany crap fest of last week. I don't mind a show exploring religion and that it is ok not to believe in it. A lot of people don't. That doesn't make um bad.
Old 10-06-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This episode made me miss Guarddog. I kept waiting for someone to bust out a Youtube video to make a point.

Anyone else think it was funny for Kurt to blast something like hospital prayer and then offer up something just as useless like acupuncture?
Old 10-06-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
This episode made me miss Guarddog. I kept waiting for someone to bust out a Youtube video to make a point.

Anyone else think it was funny for Kurt to blast something like hospital prayer and then offer up something just as useless like acupuncture?
I felt the same way about the acupuntcture thing. It was funny how Finn thought the Sikh was a Muslim.
Old 10-06-10, 06:04 AM
Banned

This episode was pretty good. I cracked up whenever Finn had his conversations with/about "Girlled Cheesus". I'm not a fan of the Kurt character at all, though, and I hate that they gave him "I wanna hold your hand" to butcher. Across the Universe still holds the title for best cover of that song thanks to that.

+2 to Mercedes getting two songs, even though I was a fan of neither. +100 to Rachel only getting lead once. I'm sure she'll have all seven songs next week to make up for it, though.
Old 10-06-10, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Anyone else think Blues Brothers when Mercedes started belting it out in the church?

I can't get "One of Us" out of my head.

Originally Posted by Draven
I saw his character start in one place in this episode and end in another. Which is something I can't really say for anyone else in the cast.
I can't argue with that, he was the focal point of the episode, not anyone else. They put him in such a bad place at the beginning the only way to make it worse though, would have been to kill his dad. The only place to go, is up.
Old 10-06-10, 07:12 AM

You can like or not like this show...but please don't start talking about what is realistic or not. Geez, you can count 1000 things wrong with this picture...People, this is not meant to be anywhere near realistic!!! It just bothers me when people pick it apart when this show's intentions is not about being a docudrama. The fact that it is soooo over the top is the shows appeal.
Old 10-06-10, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with the show arises when they try to do realism though... This show is best (imo) when they are over the top and ridiculous (its why Sue is such a great character). When they do serious, its not as good to me and Im disappointed. A little bit of serious is ok, but a little bit goes a long way with Glee, and I like them to be more about the over the top ridiculous and less about trying to make social commentary.
Old 10-06-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very emotional show for me, my father died last May after spending almost 2 months in the hospital. Did not know that Kurt's father was going to be on Death's bed, when I saw his father in the hospital my tears started to flow instantly.

I could understand Kurt's emotions, we all deal with the death of parent in different ways. And, we all need friends when we have to go through the lose of a parent. My family (Wife/kids and brother/sisters) and friends (Church and work) helped me get through the pain without losing my mind.

Loved most of the songs: The father songs and I want to hold your hand
Very powerful and touching
Old 10-06-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Mixed bag for me. Some terrible cliches and hit-you-over-the-head-cause-we're-giving-a-message-here moments mixed in with some really nice ones.

I liked all of Sue's stuff. Especially her scene with Emma. That she can get me to almost tear up talking about her sister to laughing with an orangutan comment 2 seconds later is just awesome. I'm also in the camp that the scenes with her sister do show that she's human and do keep her from being the stereotypical "I'm a villain with no redeeming qualities" type character.

I struggle with Kurt. Sometimes he is too much and I can barely watch him without rolling my eyes. He had good and bad moments last night. I liked "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", mostly because of the flashbacks intermixed. Very touching. I think my favorite song was actually "What if God was One of Us" and wish it wasn't so short. I liked Puck's too, but there was WAY too much auto-tune. I wish they would trust the singers a little more.

And yes, Artie on the football team, still fucking ridiculous.
Old 10-06-10, 09:55 AM

I really didn't care for this episode too much. Show's subject was a little too after-school-special for me.

I can generally watch Glee in 30-45 minutes depending on whether or not I want to hear the listen the songs. This was generally one of the shorter episodes for me which was kind of weird. While I am a big fan of almost all the songs (completely skipping "I Look To You" and "Papa Can You Hear Me") this episode, I thought the original versions were all better. In fact, I found the interpretations of "Losing My Religion" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" to be so cringe-inducingly bad that I had to give up and fast forward after one or two verses.
Old 10-06-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was another problem I had with this episode. Yentl makes me want to claw my eyes out, I don't like spirituals that are super-Jesusy and can't stand the Beatles.

So the music was a real miss for me this week, and that's the main reason I watch the show. But I'm a big Britney Spears fan, so I couldn't get enough of the songs last week.
Old 10-06-10, 11:22 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Although the show was a little heavy handed with the message, it was a major improvement from last week's episode.

However as some have noted, this show is losing a little steam. It seems each week it is more like a giant music video. Which I don't like. If the show can get back on track, it might be more interesting.
Old 10-06-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Was kinda hoping for someone to sing "Hallelujah" but prob best they didnt. Not sure who i would even want to sing it.
Old 10-06-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Was kinda hoping for someone to sing "Hallelujah" but prob best they didnt. Not sure who i would even want to sing it.
You just had to flip over to "Dancing with the Stars" to see Michael Bolton sing "Halleluah" last night. Heh.
Old 10-06-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Liked this episode better than last week. But I only cared for half the songs.
Old 10-06-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
You just had to flip over to "Dancing with the Stars" to see Michael Bolton sing "Halleluah" last night. Heh.
Dancing with the Stars and American Idol are 2 shows that will never be shown on my tv.
Old 10-06-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definite improvement from last week. I actually enjoyed all the songs; "What If God Was One Of Us" was definitely my favourite, but I liked "Papa Can You Hear Me" and Kurt's take on "I Want To Hold Your Hand" as well. Overall, the songs I thought were great and actually moved the plot along for a change instead of just being vignettes.

Obviously it had the feel of an after school special, but I still thought it came off well. There were some real genuine moments and I like that they offered contrasting viewpoints rather than doing the easy thing of just bashing religion non-stop.

And wow...little Kurt in the flashback looked just like Chris Colfer.
Old 10-06-10, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Ugh that episode was terrible. Only the Billy Joel song was good the rest were predictable and boring. The back and forth religious banter reminded me of a few threads in Other except with more singing and less personal attacks.
It was missing a few references to people wanting to pee in Brittany's butt.
Old 10-06-10, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Xander
Mixed bag for me. Some terrible cliches and hit-you-over-the-head-cause-we're-giving-a-message-here moments mixed in with some really nice ones.

I liked all of Sue's stuff. Especially her scene with Emma. That she can get me to almost tear up talking about her sister to laughing with an orangutan comment 2 seconds later is just awesome. I'm also in the camp that the scenes with her sister do show that she's human and do keep her from being the stereotypical "I'm a villain with no redeeming qualities" type character.

I struggle with Kurt. Sometimes he is too much and I can barely watch him without rolling my eyes. He had good and bad moments last night. I liked "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", mostly because of the flashbacks intermixed. Very touching. I think my favorite song was actually "What if God was One of Us" and wish it wasn't so short. I liked Puck's too, but there was WAY too much auto-tune. I wish they would trust the singers a little more.

And yes, Artie on the football team, still fucking ridiculous.
I agree with you there were some things I liked about this episode and some I didn't. I'm not a huge Kurt or Chris Colfer fan. I don't think he is a horrible actor but it bugged me that he a got an Emmy nod in supporting actor in a comedy category when his best scenes are dramatic and not really comedic.
Kurt can be too much but I think a lot of has to do with the fact he based a lot on Ryan Murphy. I felt bad for Kurt in last night's episode because I could see his frustration with believing in God or having faith.

Sue's scenes were very good and I'm almost teared up when she asked Jean if she would pray for her and also it seemed she was touched by the kids singing at the end.
Old 10-06-10, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Definite improvement from last week.
Obviously it had the feel of an after school special, but I still thought it came off well. There were some real genuine moments and I like that they offered contrasting viewpoints rather than doing the easy thing of just bashing religion non-stop.
Agreed. This was the stand-out episode--for me--this season. Topicality is worthwhile and jibed well with this particular group in the cast. I think it shows that good writing--rather than trying to shoe-in a group of songs--keeps the audience engaged...well, some in the audience .

Kurt's character and the performer who plays him ring true to me. His unpleasantness is clearly a defense, and we saw him unmasked during the episode.

Rachel can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned, and, yes, I am a person who longs for the return of Jessalyn Gilsig (just so you know who you're dealing with).

I thought Finn carried off his dim-wittedness appropriately, and while it all came to a conclusion a little quickly, I was ready for him to eat that sandwich.

Funny that the grousing was on the age of the sandwich half by the time Finn ate it (is that a spoiler?). The other in my household hates "Glee" and we flip on who gets to watch "Glee" or "Dancing with the Stars" no Tivo, only comment on the whole episode was "How old is that sandwich?" So just know whose company you keep.
Old 10-06-10, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
You can like or not like this show...but please don't start talking about what is realistic or not. Geez, you can count 1000 things wrong with this picture...People, this is not meant to be anywhere near realistic!!! It just bothers me when people pick it apart when this show's intentions is not about being a docudrama. The fact that it is soooo over the top is the shows appeal.
I agree Glee isn't to be extremely realistic but they are some things that bug me such as the whole thing with Artie being on the football team. I cringed when at the short scene of Finn pushing me on the field.
Old 10-06-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by writer106
I agree Glee isn't to be extremely realistic but they are some things that bug me such as the whole thing with Artie being on the football team. I cringed when at the short scene of Finn pushing me on the field.
I view that like I view the idea that a high school glee club would have 4-6 new choreographed and perfected every week. I was in one of the top show choirs in the state of Iowa in high school and you worked on like 3 or 4 numbers total for months, and that's what you took to the competitions.

So for me, the actual "glee club" aspect of the show is easily as unrealistic as the football stuff. I accepted how ridiculous that was in Episode 2, Season 1.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.