DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   David E. Kelley developing new Wonder Woman series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/580106-david-e-kelley-developing-new-wonder-woman-series.html)

MrSmearkase 10-01-10 06:17 PM

David E. Kelley developing new Wonder Woman series

From Deadline;

One of TV's best-known creators, The Practice's David E. Kelley, has come on board to write and produce a new series project about the female superhero. The project, from Warner Bros. Television where Kelley is based, and Warner Bros.' DC Entertainment, will be taken out to the networks shortly. Kelley, who has created several female-centered shows, most notably Ally McBeal, had been interested in tackling a contemporary take on the World War II-era Amazon. He recently met with the DC team who also have been looking for ways to launch a new Wonder Woman TV franchise. Details on the reboot are being kept under wraps, and it is not clear if the new Wonder Woman aka Diana Prince will keep her signature powers and weapons, including her Lasso of Truth, her indestructible bracelets, her tiara and her invisible airplane.
Should this shake out, it could be really interesting to see casting come down. It is a bit of shame that the big screen version hasn't been able to shape together, but I'll take this.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2SOtH1MNXtQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2SOtH1MNXtQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

devilshalo 10-01-10 06:53 PM

Re: David E. Kelley developing new Wonder Woman series

I'd prefer that DC not pimp out its major characters for television series. But then again, they never seem to care about DC Universe continuity.

Timber 10-01-10 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 10405539)
I'd prefer that DC not pimp out its major characters for television series. But then again, they never seem to care about DC Universe continuity.

I think Wonder Woman screams TV series. I'm not sure there is anything interesting enough about her to carry a movie. I think it can be good on TV though.

SkullOrchard 10-01-10 09:08 PM

I predict that David E. Kelley will turn Wonder Woman into a tea party hating, ultra-Liberal Democrat. :D

DJariya 10-01-10 09:14 PM

If Running Wilde gets the axe, maybe Keri Russell can audition for Diane Prince/Wonder Woman?

Numanoid 10-01-10 09:53 PM

I give it three episodes. :lol:

Giantrobo 10-01-10 10:27 PM

I'm in. I don't have high hopes, but I'm in. :up:

MrSmearkase 10-01-10 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10405709)
If Running Wilde gets the axe, maybe Keri Russell can audition for Diane Prince/Wonder Woman?

She's got the voice for it ;)

Giantrobo 10-01-10 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10405826)
She's got the voice for it ;)

And other than common "lady parts" that's where the similarities end.

riley_dude 10-02-10 03:48 AM

They should use Joss Whedon's movie script for this pilot.

DJariya 10-02-10 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude (Post 10406046)
They should use Joss Whedon's movie script for this pilot.

Considering David E. Kelley wrote or co-wrote practically every episode of all the TV shows he created, zero chance that happens.

Gunde 10-02-10 05:19 AM

Sounds boring.

Sessioner 10-02-10 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10405489)

Ugh. Why in the world would you want to show Season Three's intro?

The first season's is far superior, IMO. ;)

NiCK Crush 10-02-10 10:52 AM

Olivia Munn anyone?

Match 10-02-10 11:13 AM

Taylor Cole
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/282...jeanshallo.jpg

Sessioner 10-02-10 11:33 AM

Why not just make WW's costume into a bikini? :rolleyes:

Lynda Carter retained just the right touch of naivete (at least in the first season) to make WW's fish out of water scenario credible. She also didn't look like she needed to be forcefed a cheeseburger, which helped a lot.

Patman 10-02-10 12:09 PM

I've always liked Taylor Cole for WW ever since she appeared on that Lori Laughlin show, Summerland, that took place near the beach..

Serinda Swan would look nice in the WW outfit. She was Zatanna on Smallville.

stingermck 01-08-11 08:46 AM

Warner Bros. Shelves Plans For Wonder Woman TV Revival

Warner Bros. Television has postponed its planned revival of Wonder Woman after the David E. Kelley project failed to find a home at a network this week, Deadline reports. Sources say it was a matter of “unfortunate timing.”

Announced in October, the modern-day reboot would return the DC Comics character to live-action TV for the first time since 1979, when she was famously portrayed by Lynda Carter. The involvement of Kelley, who created such series as Ally McBeal, The Practice and Picket Fences, seemed to buoy hopes for Wonder Woman, whose proposed movie adaptation has toiled in development hell for a decade.

Last month, however, the Emmy-winning writer and producer revealed he hadn’t “necessarily committed” to the superhero project, and was still “trying to figure out if I can make the franchise work for me.”

But Deadline reports the Emmy Award-winning writer and producer completed a pilot script that was shopped to the networks on Wednesday. Fox and Disney-owned ABC, which is developing series based on Marvel’s Incredible Hulk, Cloak & Dagger and Jessica Jones, passed on the project, while WBTV sibling The CW, home to Smallville and possibly DC’s Raven, couldn’t afford it. Executives at CBS, which picked up the original Wonder Woman after ABC decided not to renew it for a second season, were reportedly split, leaving NBC, which is in a transition stage as it awaits its new president of programming Bob Greenblatt.

The script may make the rounds again, somewhere down the road, but this setback means fans definitely won’t see a live-action Wonder Woman next fall, and probably for some time beyond that.

DJariya 01-08-11 01:05 PM

Basically consider this project dead and buried. If no network is interested in paying for the Pilot, what makes them think they would be intersted next year or the year after that?

I'm surprised that The CW said they couldn't afford it. It's a DC venture and with Smallville ending you would think they would be interested in another prime time super hero show. Smallville isn't exactly cheap either.

RocShemp 01-08-11 01:15 PM

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tKZJVhn7M4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tKZJVhn7M4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Double_Oh_7 01-08-11 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10579705)
I'm surprised that The CW said they couldn't afford it. It's a DC venture and with Smallville ending you would think they would be interested in another prime time super hero show. Smallville isn't exactly cheap either.

Must have been really, really bad.

The Infidel 01-08-11 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10579715)
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tKZJVhn7M4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tKZJVhn7M4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

What...the fuck...was that.

RocShemp 01-08-11 11:45 PM

^ It was a presentation reel for a proposed Wonder Woman series from Fox back in 1967.

DVD Guy ATL 01-08-11 11:50 PM

David E. Kelley should totally see if he can borrow Calista Flockhart from Brothers & Sisters for this project. He could put an angsty, ironic, Daria-like spin on the character. That would ROCK.

The Infidel 01-08-11 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10580568)
^ It was a presentation reel for a proposed Wonder Woman series from Fox back in 1967.

I realize that, but still: What...the fuck...was that. :lol:

Kechulater 01-12-11 07:25 PM

Christina Hendricks anybody? Perfect choice, Yes!

aynrandgirl 01-13-11 09:17 AM

Now that she's unemployed, I vote for Bridget Regan.

Patman 01-13-11 10:17 AM

I saw video footage of Tanit Phoenix, and she's lovely.

stingermck 01-21-11 11:25 PM

NBC Orders Pilot

Just two weeks ago it looked like Warner Bros. Television’s planned Wonder Woman revival had stalled after David E. Kelley’s script failed to find a home at a network. But tonight Deadline reports the surprise news that NBC has picked up the pilot.

Announced in October, the modern-day reboot would return the DC Comics character to live-action TV for the first time since 1979, when she was famously portrayed by Lynda Carter.

Following some unease in December, when Kelley — the award-winning creator of such TV series as Ally McBeal, The Practice and Picket Fences — revealed he hadn’t “necessarily committed” to the superhero project, the pilot script was shopped around early this month. According to Deadline, NBC passed at the time because it was awaiting the arrival of new president of programming Bob Greenblatt, and “couldn’t commit to the type of license fee that the studio was seeking in order to do the show Kelley had envisioned.” With Greenblatt now at the helm, and Kelley’s new comedy-drama Harry’s Law debuting strong, the network snapped up the pilot.

However, Wonder Woman fans still may have cause for concern. If Deadline’s information is correct, Kelley’s take on the nearly 70-year-old superheroine will differ dramatically from her portrayals in the comic books or the ’70s TV series: Here she’ll be Diana Prince, a vigilante crimefighter and successful corporate executive in Los Angeles who tries to “balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life.”

RocShemp 01-21-11 11:44 PM

Here she’ll be Diana Prince, a vigilante crimefighter and successful corporate executive in Los Angeles who tries to “balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life.”

So they're basing this on the much hated Denny O'Neil run of the character? Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 10587953)
I saw video footage of Tanit Phoenix, and she's lovely.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=24700

Looks good on a poster. But can she act?

DGibFen 01-22-11 12:58 AM

Somewhere, in the distance, George Perez weeps.

I fully suspect this Wonder Woman will have a mentor named I Ching.

aynrandgirl 01-22-11 03:41 AM

Here she’ll be Diana Prince, a vigilante crimefighter and successful corporate executive in Los Angeles who tries to “balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life.”
Ah, so their plan is to bore us with girlpower crap?

DJariya 01-22-11 03:58 AM

I'll watch this depending on who they cast as Diana.

I would put in a vote for Charisma Carpenter. She's tall, smoking hot, beautiful long hair and athletic body. But, she turns 41 this summer and I have to assume that Warner Bros, DEK and NBC want to cast someone in her mid-late 20's.

Navinabob 01-22-11 04:03 AM

I'm guessing none of you guys watched any of Kelly's previous stuff? I dunno... if they had to pick a self contained universe (meaning no other super heroes) for the show to live in I don't think it is a bad place to start. I'm not sure how Smallville gets away with using the expanded universe while DC seems pretty against any other shows or properties doing it... always felt that was odd.

DJariya 01-22-11 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 10601994)
I'm guessing none of you guys watched any of Kelly's previous stuff? I dunno... if they had to pick a self contained universe (meaning no other super heroes) for the show to live in I don't think it is a bad place to start. I'm not sure how Smallville gets away with using the expanded universe while DC seems pretty against any other shows or properties doing it... always felt that was odd.

I'm very familiar with DEK's work. I was a fan of The Practice, Boston Legal and even Lake Placid. This show seems a little out of his element, so I'll be interested to see who they cast and who they hire to direct the Pilot. Even then, they just got the greenlight to shoot a 1 hour Pilot. For all we know, it may not even make it to series next Fall.

Remember the Aquaman Pilot with Justin Hartley, Ving Rhames and Lou Diamond Phillips from 5+ Year ago? That was very high profile project snce it was from the creators of Smallville, but that didn't get picked up by The WB of all networks.

DGibFen 01-22-11 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 10601994)

Smallville took its time to expand the show to include other DC heroes. I think Impulse (The Flash, really) was the first expanded DC hero to appear, and that was the 4th season. The Justice League episode was in season 6. IMO, things really didn't accelerate, expanded DC Universe-wise, until season 7 or 8, when the show finally established Clark in Metropolis and "killed" Lex. Even then, Batman, Wonder Woman - minus the costume Lois wore last year - The Flash proper, and Green Lantern have been off-limits to the show.

The more I think about this Kelley "Wonder Woman" description, this Diana Prince sounds more like a female version of Bruce Wayne/Batman. If they'd want to expand her universe later on, they should have started with Diana as an ambassador of Themyscira by day, vigilante by night.

riley_dude 01-22-11 02:45 PM

This sounds like a colossal disaster.

chuckd21 01-22-11 04:25 PM

So then has David E Kelley already abandoned Harry's Law? :lol:

Evan Meadow 01-22-11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by DGibFen (Post 10601912)
Somewhere, in the distance, George Perez weeps.

I fully suspect this Wonder Woman will have a mentor named I Ching.

The comic fans would be so torn:

Half of them condeming the show for using that era as a template and the other half going "THEY KNOW WHO I-CHING IS? I need to watch the show just because of that!"

And then fiendishly daring them to somehow bring Egg-Fu to the show.

DJariya 01-22-11 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 10602602)
So then has David E Kelley already abandoned Harry's Law? :lol:

Kelley will probably write some of the scripts, but hire a different showrunner for Wonder Woman if Harry's Law gets another season.

But, it's not unheard of to have a Producer work on 2 shows simultaneously.