DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   David E. Kelley developing new Wonder Woman series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/580106-david-e-kelley-developing-new-wonder-woman-series.html)

Shazam 01-22-11 05:52 PM

Re: David E. Kelley developing new Wonder Woman series

I wonder if the office will have a co-ed bathroom.

Evan Meadow 01-22-11 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 10602700)
I wonder if the office will have a unisex bathroom.

Edited for proper terminology. :D

Fist of Doom 01-23-11 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10601993)
I would put in a vote for Charisma Carpenter.

I'd definitely be interested if Charisma was in it, but yeah, TV execs would probably consider her too old. She's one of the hottest TV babes of all time, though.

RocShemp 01-23-11 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 10603214)
I'd definitely be interested if Charisma was in it, but yeah, TV execs would probably consider her too old. She's one of the hottest TV babes of all time, though.

She didn't look all that good in season 2 of Legend of the Seeker or in her role in The Expendables. So perhaps Father Time is finally catching up to her.

Original Desmond 01-23-11 12:56 AM

Charisma is a bit old now

Summer Glau is where it's at

or Minka Kelly

RocShemp 01-23-11 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 10603258)
Charisma is a bit old now

She isn't actually old. But she doesn't seem to be aging well.

Summer Glau is where it's at

I adore her but she looks too young for Wonder Woman and too old for Wonder Girl. She's somewhere in the middle in terms of age-wise look.

or Minka Kelly

I'm gonna have to google the name to find out who the heck that is.

EDIT: She looked a touch too baby faced in the pics I saw but this one shows she has potential to look old enough to be Wonder Woman.

PhantomStranger 01-23-11 12:57 AM

However, Wonder Woman fans still may have cause for concern. If Deadline’s information is correct, Kelley’s take on the nearly 70-year-old superheroine will differ dramatically from her portrayals in the comic books or the ’70s TV series: Here she’ll be Diana Prince, a vigilante crimefighter and successful corporate executive in Los Angeles who tries to “balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life.”

TV executives do not want to air comic book superheroes as they are in comics or even in the movies, they just want to use the reliable fanbase and attention they can generate from the brand. I suspect we would hardly ever see a Wonder Woman in costume. Look at what happened to Smallville, where the original creators admitted they barely even knew who Superman was or his history when they started the show.

RocShemp 01-23-11 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 10603263)
However, Wonder Woman fans still may have cause for concern. If Deadline’s information is correct, Kelley’s take on the nearly 70-year-old superheroine will differ dramatically from her portrayals in the comic books or the ’70s TV series: Here she’ll be Diana Prince, a vigilante crimefighter and successful corporate executive in Los Angeles who tries to “balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life.”

TV executives do not want to air comic book superheroes as they are in comics or even in the movies, they just want to use the reliable fanbase and attention they can generate from the brand. I suspect we would hardly ever see a Wonder Woman in costume. Look at what happened to Smallville, where the original creators admitted they barely even knew who Superman was or his history when they started the show.

Except that they are taking their cues somewhat from the comics. That's essentially how she was when Denny O'Neil took over the charcter. She had no powers and was a vigilante. And it sucked.

Fist of Doom 01-23-11 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10603251)
She didn't look all that good in season 2 of Legend of the Seeker or in her role in The Expendables. So perhaps Father Time is finally catching up to her.

Sad to hear. She'll always be Cordelia to me.

A quick google search shows Minka Kelly to be a very nice alternative. :up:

RocShemp 01-23-11 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom (Post 10603276)
A quick google search shows Minka Kelly to be a very nice alternative. :up:

Google helped me realize I had seen her before. She was the cute schoolteacher in Jamie Foxx's first scene in The Kingdom.

Double_Oh_7 01-23-11 08:40 AM

How does a project go from "rejected by every network" to "ordered to pilot" within two weeks?

Dragon Tattoo 01-23-11 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 10603444)
How does a project go from "rejected by every network" to "ordered to pilot" within two weeks?

When Kelley's new show is a success on NBC during its premiere week.

DJariya 01-23-11 01:23 PM

Also, Comcast just took over in the last week and they brought in a new President for NBC Entertainment.

Double_Oh_7 02-04-11 12:44 PM

Here's a look at the pilot script. Doesn't sound promising...

The Daily Beast obtained a draft of the pilot script for David E. Kelley’s pilot Wonder Woman. Jace Lacob picks eight crazy bits from the jaw-dropping script.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...elleys-script/

MrSmearkase 02-14-11 01:45 PM

Casting sheet, courtesy of DC Women Kicking Ass;

We are committed to diverse, inclusive casting. For every role, please submit qualified performers, without regard to disability, race, age, colour, national origin, ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by law unless otherwise specifically indicated.

[WONDER WOMAN / DIANA THEMYSCIRA / DIANA PRINCE] Female, late 20s to 30s. A kick-ass Superhero / Powerful C.E.O. / A vulnerable woman. Long flowing black hair, blue eyes. Amazon-like, muscular, an Olympian. The charismatic stage presence of a rock star. A crime fighter. Also, a real woman who yearns to live a normal life. She is accessible and appealing to all people, men and women alike…SERIES LEAD. ASP.

[MYNDI MAYER] Female, open ethnicity, 30s. Publicist, Press Secretary and Wonder Woman’s confidant and nurturing best friend. Worldy and edgy. Sexy and persuasive, her appearance is part of her strength. She is beautiful and put together - dressed expensively in the latest fashions, plus she’s got a bit of bite, clever wit and sass. She’s the prodder of Diana’s social life…SERIES REGULAR. ASP.

[ETTA] Female, open ethnicity, 30s. Diana Themyscira’s always cheerful personal assistant. A bit charactery , but real, pretty and effervescent. She is blindly devoted to Diana. She’s her unrelenting cheerleader, with unwavering, unabated support. On the vulnerable side, she sees the humble and sympathetic sides in everyone, including Diana…SERIES REGULAR. ASP.

[CEO HENRY DEMETER] Male, open ethnicity, 40s. Acting CEO of Themyscira Industries. Grounded, intelligent and deeply devoted to Diana. He runs the day to day operations of the company and acts like an Uncle to Diana although he could be a possible love interest down the line…SERIES REGULAR. ASP.

[STEVE TREVOR] Male, open ethnicity, 30s. A leading man Diana can’t look past. Good looking but a real man. An Army vet, he now works in the Justice dept…SERIES REGULAR, ASP.

[ED INDELICATO] Male, late 30s to early 40s. Stoic and tough, he is a liaison to the police department. Devoted and loyal to Diana, he’s blue collar, a no nonsense kind of guy. A chiseled man who subscribes to the old fashion rules of relationships - men don’t talk much. His job comes first and he wouldn’t make room for the possibility that there is potential romantic relationship with Diana…SERIES REGULAR, 10/13.
I'm not too familiar with the comics, so I don't recognize any of the characters other than Steve Trevor.

DGibFen 02-16-11 07:39 PM

Wonder Woman will be played by Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c9KotcbaiB...-Palicki-4.jpg

After her standout performance on Fox's short-lived drama Lone Star, there was a lot of talk about Adrianne Palicki's star potential. She is on her way to prove it by landing one of the most iconic TV roles, that of Wonder Woman. Friday Night Lights alumna Palicki has been tapped for the title role in NBC's Wonder Woman pilot, David E. Kelley's reimagening of the iconic D.C. comic. In the reboot, from Warner Bros. TV, Wonder Woman/Diana Prince (Palicki) is a vigilante crime fighter in L.A. but also a successful corporate executive and a modern woman trying to balance all of the elements of her extraordinary life. Kelley is executive producing the project with long-time collaborator Bill D'Elia. Palicki won the role of Wonder Woman in a decisive manner; she was the only actress invited to test for it. Wonder Woman reunites Palicki with the pilot's director Jeff Reiner who previously served as director/co-executive producer on Friday Night Lights for the series' early run on NBC. Palicki, repped by UTA and Anonymous Content, next stars in the feature remake of Dawn.

devilshalo 02-16-11 07:44 PM

Interesting to have a male named DEMETER, considering that is a female Greek Goddess.

DGibFen 02-16-11 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10638120)
I'm not too familiar with the comics, so I don't recognize any of the characters other than Steve Trevor.

In the comics:

Myndi Mayer was a publicist who introduced Diana to the world. She died in WW #20.
http://www.comicvine.com/myndi-mayer/29-11963/

There were two different versions of Etta (Candy): Pre-Crisis, her character was quite silly (she was a sickly child who got better by eating candy), and she was a friend of Wonder Woman. Post-Crisis, she is a military officer whom eventually marries Steve Trevor.
http://www.comicvine.com/etta-candy/29-15790/

Ed Indelicato looks to be an expanded role for the comic book character, although he was essentially a minor character.
http://wonder-woman.wikia.com/wiki/Ed_Indelicato

Henry Demeter appears to be a character created for the show.

PhantomStranger 02-16-11 08:03 PM

From the network that brought you "The Cape" in primetime.

Giantrobo 02-16-11 09:47 PM

Not bad. We'll see..

Patman 02-16-11 10:07 PM

I'm okay with the casting of Adrianne Palicki for WW on the TV show (but I don't think she'd be the right choice for a film version). She's 5" 11" tall, and has bolt-on upgrades already, but has a slender, athlethic build, and has been acting for almost a decade, plus she's about the right age too.

dan30oly 02-16-11 10:20 PM

with the casting of Adrianne Palicki I'm out.

Chaza 02-17-11 01:09 AM

She's hot but I'm not sure if I care enough to watch a show with her from David Lawyer show Kelley.

Michael Corvin 02-17-11 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 10642091)
I'm okay with the casting of Adrianne Palicki for WW on the TV show (but I don't think she'd be the right choice for a film version).

:up:

Red Dog 02-17-11 11:06 AM

That's cool. She looks much better with dark hair (like she had on Lone Star) too. I'm not expecting much....either a pickup or it lasting long, particularly if I'm tuning in.

rfduncan 02-17-11 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chaza (Post 10642293)
She's hot but I'm not sure if I care enough to watch a show with her from David Lawyer show Kelley.

Didn't he create Picket Fences and Doogie Howser too?

RocShemp 02-17-11 01:45 PM

I hope this dies a quick death but doesn't take Harry's Law down with it. I'm actually digging that show (especially since there are shades of Boston Legal-style characterizations in it) whereas this just sounds bad. Kelley doesn't seems to be making a Wonder Woman show but rather an Ally McBeil 2.0 with elements borrowed from the Wonder Woman mythos.

MrSmearkase 02-19-11 02:34 PM

Tanit Phoenix's audition (she didn't get the part)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/re9-r0cNWD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is this indicative of the script that NBC approved?

Red Dog 02-19-11 03:31 PM

:lol: She's hot, and that's all that matters.

joe_b 03-04-11 12:45 AM

Elizabeth Hurley will be playing the show's villain, Veronica Cale.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/eliz...-wonder-woman/

"Cold Case" actress Tracie Thoms has been cast as Diana's assistant, Etta. Pedro Pascal from "The Good Wife" is playing Ed Indelicato, the police department liason.

MrSmearkase 03-04-11 10:50 PM

Cary Elwes has been cast, also.

Elwes, who recently appeared in Saw: The Final Chapter and is still best known for his iconic performance in The Princess Bride, will play the CEO of Prince's company, Themyscira Industries. He joins the previously announced Adrianne Palicki in the lead, Elizabeth Hurley as the pilot's villain and supporting cast members Pedro Pascal and Tracie Thoms.

RocShemp 03-04-11 10:54 PM

Although I like Hurley and Elwes, the more I hear about this, the more I hope it already gets cancelled.

MrSmearkase 03-04-11 11:15 PM

/\ I'm with you (minus the affection for Elwes and Hurley), but I can see NBC possibly ordering 13 episodes with Kelley's involvement.

DJariya 03-18-11 02:28 PM

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/18/wo...palicki-photo/

^^^ Photo of Adrianne Palicki in costume as Wonder Woman.

I have a feeling this is going to get some really mixed opinions.

Michael Corvin 03-18-11 02:35 PM

Looks like a cheap strippers costume, but throw in some moody lighting and it should look okay.

DGibFen 03-18-11 02:42 PM

Wow, they should have used the colors from the new costume (spoilered for size):

Spoiler:
If it's not showing, click here.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2...wwwcostume.jpg

Without the jacket (if it's not showing, click here.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4...arge_super.jpg

Groucho 03-18-11 03:09 PM

Not a flattering costume, that doesn't even look like Palicki.

Patman 03-18-11 04:02 PM

It's a terrible costume concept and design. Wow...

http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/6...iwonderwox.jpg

Double_Oh_7 03-18-11 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 10642845)
Didn't he create Picket Fences and Doogie Howser too?

Picket Fences yes, Doogie Howser no. That was Bochco.

Evan Meadow 03-18-11 05:34 PM

Actually the costume concept and design isn't that terrible. Its actually very close to what the current Wonder Woman costume in the comics actually is (minus the horrible jacket).

At this point, the only clear consensus on the costume is those boots need to be red. There is too much blue there.

And the picture overall makes that outfit look way too shiny so you don't get a sense she can actually move at all in it.