Bryan Fuller and NBC to reboot/remake The Munsters

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bryan Fuller and NBC to reboot/remake The Munsters

Old 10-09-10, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Bryan Fuller and NBC to reboot/remake The Munsters

Originally Posted by bluetoast
However, this has already been re-done...with the 2 or 3 made for TV movies over the years after the show left the air.
They didn't just do movies...they did a full blown reboot of the show!

The Munsters Today...it was in syndication in the late 80s. The story was that Grandpa had invented a sleeping machine that ended up putting the family to sleep for 22 years. It ended up running for 3 seasons and 72 episodes...more than the original series (Which had 70).
Old 02-06-12, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munsters reboot

Weird. Looks like it going to happen. Created by Bryan Fuller and Bryan Singer is executive producer on the project, which is currently in the casting stage.

This is odd, yet fitting. Bryan Fuller’s Munsters reboot is getting a name change.

The new title? Mockingbird Lane (the street the monster family lives on).

The current NBC pilot already shifts the concept from it’s wacky half-hour sitcom roots to an hour-long drama-ish show. So if you’re going for a tonal and branding change, you might as well go full tilt and tweak the title too. Mockingbird Lane is certainly more elegant. Still, The Munsters has a lot of name recognition.

We’re also told the characters in the reboot will shed the heavy goth makeup from the original series — so the family can better match everyday folks rather than looking like 1940s horror movie refugees.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/02/munsters-new-title/
Old 02-06-12, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Munsters reboot

They don't look like the Munsters? Then that would make them more like the Addams Family. If they're not doing "Munsters" then this is pointless.
Old 02-06-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The concept doesn't sound anything like the Munsters.

This show will last as long as the Firm did (which, despite being moved, is dead).
Old 02-06-12, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds way more like "Teen Wolf"
Old 02-06-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This new concept doesn't sound AT ALL like the original Munsters!
Old 02-06-12, 10:04 AM

"an hour-long drama-ish show"

From The Munsters? This is just a bastardization of The Munsters coasting on their brand name.

Oddly enough...although not drama-ish per se I could see The Addams Family working for a much more darker black humour surreal type thing if they wanted to re-boot anything.

Mind you I don't think that'd work in the mass market but neither will this new Munsters nonsense.

I can't say I've seen much (or perhaps any) of Bryan Singer's work but I had the impression he was a respected artist and not some hack butchering the creations of others.
Old 02-06-12, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely going in another direction, but I really don't think following the old formula would ever work this day and age, so looking forward to see how it turns out.
Old 02-06-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's face it. If it was a reboot of the original show, it was doomed. Remember the horrible syndicated reboot with John Schuck (The Munsters Today).

Only way this has a chance is a re-imaging. They are using the old show as a way of creating an immediate audience, when it seems like a completely different show. The development team is fantastic.

Let me be the first to stick my neck out and say .... I think it sounds awesome.
Old 02-06-12, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
definitely going in another direction, but I really don't think following the old formula would ever work this day and age, so looking forward to see how it turns out.
I could see the old version working today but it was such G rated comedy I suspect it could only work on something like ABC Family.

That's why I saw an Addams Family re-boot being more feasible since they could change directions and make it darker while still staying true to the original form (unlike the re-boot of the new Addams family from ABC Family years ago).

This whole darker vibe they seem to want to go with The Munsters just doesn't seem in tune with *anything* the Munsters represents...almost like casting Fred Flintstone as Sipowicz in NYPD Blue.

The Addams Family always had that dark and serious element about them between the lines however...even to the extent of an unspoken sorta S&M vibe between Gomez and Morticia.
Old 02-06-12, 11:48 AM

I remember when NBC first picked up the pilot the log line was describing the show as "True Blood meets Modern Family" - and it sounds like they are making a show just like that. It could be interesting or it could be horrible, IMO. Although I know that NBC has a really expensive penalty on this pilot if this doesn't make it to series.
Old 02-06-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Grandpa going to sparkle?
Old 02-06-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/580...-munsters.html

Cough Cough. A thread was already started 2 years ago when this news was previously announced.
Old 02-06-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

So this is really happening?
Old 02-06-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
So this is really happening?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/598...rs-reboot.html
Old 02-06-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Jadzia:
Can you merge the 2 Munsters threads?
Old 02-12-12, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The pilot for Mockingbird Lane has hit a few snags in casting. In fact, according to The Futon Critic, production of the pilot has been pushed to June. This means unless NBC has a really horrible pilot season, this just became a mid-season show at best.
Old 02-12-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

An hour long Addams Family could be interesting. That I'd see.
Old 02-12-12, 10:48 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

pic? didn't see it in the article...
Old 02-12-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NBC has had success with Grimm so it sounds like they want to go for that hour long dramedy aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their name from the Munsters either.
Old 02-12-12, 05:29 PM
Banned

Didn't they already try a Munsters reboot with Edward Herrmann in Fred Gwynne's role?

(Never mind...just looked it up. "Here Come the Munsters" in 1995. Guess someone thought it was clever to cast an actor named Herrmann).

Tried to copy a link to the poster but failed.
Old 02-12-12, 05:35 PM
Banned

I think they should do a reboot crossbreeding of The Munsters & The Partridge Family.

They could tour in the Munstermobile. Don't know who would play which instruments.

Imagine the groupies Gran'pa would attract.

On second thought, this idea is already being tried according to the Van Halen thread.
Old 02-12-12, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I think they should do a reboot crossbreeding of The Munsters & The Partridge Family.

They could tour in the Munstermobile. Don't know who would play which instruments.
Sounds like The Groovy Ghoulies!

Old 03-21-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is getting weirder and weirder:
Eddie Izzard is being lined up to play Grandpa Munster in a reboot of the classic Sixties comedy.
Bryan Singer - who directed Superman Returns and the X-Men movies – is in control of the new series, called Mockingbird Lane.
A pilot is being made for the NBC network, and Izzard is reportedly in ‘final talks’ to take the role of the shape-shifting vampire originally made famous by Al Lewis.
Bryan Fuller, whose credits include Heroes and Star Rek: Deep Space Nine is writing the script for the show, named after the family’s fictional address of Bryan Fuller
The original family also included Herman, who resembled Frankenstein’s Monster, the vampiric Lily, werewolf Eddie and the normal-looking Marilyn. Although so far Izzard is the only actor attached to the reboot.
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/0...#ixzz1poKjt87t
Old 03-22-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah yes. I can hear the pitch meeting now. We're going to take a beloved 60's sitcom and re-boot it for today's audience. Change the name first. It will no longer be a half hour comedy, now a hour long dramedy. We'll get away from the make-up that actually made the characters what they were.

Why don't they just announce a new show and say it was inspired by the original Munsters sit-com? That show was based on make-up and characters that were naive, innocent and loveable in spite of the looks. Two things that will not be in the new one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.