DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   EVERY Episode of SNL Coming to Netflix Next Week! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/579775-every-episode-snl-coming-netflix-next-week.html)

HE Pennypacker 10-01-10 10:10 AM

Re: EVERY Episode of SNL Coming to Netflix Next Week!

SNL's appear to be going up. Several seasons are available now. And each eppie appears to be 65 minutes in length.

MJG87 10-01-10 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker (Post 10404503)
SNL's appear to be going up. Several seasons are available now. And each eppie appears to be 65 minutes in length.

Where? All I still see are the old ones that have been there for months

starman9000 10-01-10 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MJG87 (Post 10404137)
BSG, Monk, 30 Rock & Parks & Rec are up but still no SNL

Thanks, they've added a bunch today.

The Office Season 6.

Say Yes to the Dress Seasons 1-3 as well, if that's your thing.

reubs82 10-04-10 11:49 AM

I'm still waiting on the Garth Brooks episode from the mid-90s to see "Who's more grizzled?" I don't know what season it is, but I don't think it's up yet.

Dr. Mantle 10-04-10 12:59 PM

So far Seasons 1-5 (previously available) and 31-34.

MJG87 10-04-10 03:01 PM

I really wish that press release was more specific on ETA everything is up BUT SNL

DVD Josh 10-04-10 07:41 PM

Up to recent back to 31 now.

reubs82 10-05-10 11:59 AM

Yeah, the release made it sound like every season was going to be available LAST week, not that they'd start putting every release out beginning last week.

Derrich 10-05-10 04:11 PM

The term 'episode' is used very loosely here. They've cut a LOT out. I understand the musical numbers. But the opening monologues are gone and the average length of a show in season 31 is 20 minutes....

D

OldBoy 10-07-10 02:15 PM

yeah, these SNL eps suck. the only one i was looking for was S 33 with Tina Fey as host bc i really wanted to see the "Rock of Love" parody, queued it up and...nope. cut, not there. 45 min ep. sucks. some of the others were 40 mins, 45-50, 35, etc...

MJG87 10-07-10 06:40 PM

These are all still the same episodes that have been streaming for over a year. The press release ones still haven't gone up yet, though I doubt they'll be any more intact.

Dr. Mantle 10-11-10 11:25 PM

Season 31 episode list

Steve Carell 23 minutes
Jon Heder 16 minutes
Catherine Zeta-Jones 18 minutes
Lance Armstrong 17 minutes
Jason Lee 21 minutes
Eva Longoria 22 minutes
Dane Cook 26 minutes
Alec Baldwin 22 minutes
Jack Black 21 minutes
Scarlett Johansson 15 minutes
Peter Sarsgaard 19 minutes
Steve Martin 20 minutes
Natalie Portman 20 minutes
Matt Dillon 24 minutes
Antonio Banderas 19 minutes
Lindsay Lohan 18 minutes
Tom Hanks 21 minutes
Julia Louis-Dreyfus 18 minutes
Kevin Spacey 17 minutes

This is terrible. I guess I can understand having to cut the music if there are different rights involved. But really what reason would there be to cut 50 to 75% of sketches?

(And before anyone else says it, yes, sometimes there are that many sketches that suck, but that's what fast forward and Best Of collections are for.)

My Other Self 10-11-10 11:37 PM

Those are like Best-ofs for every episode. Seems kind of lame.

shaun3000 10-24-10 12:12 PM

So... It's been a month and they haven't added squat. What gives?

MJG87 10-25-10 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by shaun3000 (Post 10449090)
So... It's been a month and they haven't added squat. What gives?

Yeah, I really wonder what the holdup is. I didn't expect them to put them all up at once, but not even a single season has popped up.

I did notice about a week or so ago that they changed the artwork for seasons 31-34, but nothing else. On feedfliks.com, all of the Seasons have an expiration date of November 15th, maybe that's the day for an overhaul.

writer106 10-27-10 01:15 PM

I read about this the other day but I have been busy so I hadn't checked Netflix. It is disappointing that the episodes aren't the full ones. I used to love watching the edited reruns on Comedy Central and E! years ago and now VH1 is showing edited reruns too. I remember they were a lot of funny sketches cut from the edited reruns and I was hoping Netflix would show the full versions.

Does anyone else remember the Comedy Central SNL Merry Thon that used to air around Christmas?

Dr. Phibes 11-15-10 11:27 AM

It looks like they finally added some of the old episodes:

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

Season 6-12 so far. I've only added season 9 so far, but the episodes are in the 40-50 minute range.

MJG87 11-15-10 01:34 PM

So I was right about the 15th starting the roll out! Sad to see some are still edited down to 20 minutes though.

Matthew Chmiel 11-15-10 01:50 PM

I went to the infamous Charlene Tilton episode just now.

The storyline that spanned the entire episode spoofing Dallas is gone YET Charles Rocket saying "fuck" is in tact.

I fucking hate Lorne Michaels. I get the fact that he tries his hardest to erase the show's history, but seriously? If you're going to get rid of everything, then get rid of everything.

Matthew Chmiel 11-15-10 01:59 PM

Bah. The season 11 finale doesn't have where Billy Martin sets the studio on fire and Lorne Michaels only takes Jon Lovitz to save.

Blah, adding SNL to Netflix was fucking pointless if they're just going to butcher the episodes.

MJG87 11-15-10 02:18 PM

Is Lorne really the one calling the edits? I thought it was just NBC in general.

Anyway, just queued up Drew Barrymore hosting in '82. I find it ironic in the cold open they offer her milk and she says "Milk? I'm a Barrymore, get me a drink and make it a double" :lol:

reubs82 11-15-10 02:52 PM

Wake me when we get the Garth Brooks episode with "Who's More Grizzled?"

Matthew Chmiel 11-15-10 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by MJG87 (Post 10491899)
Is Lorne really the one calling the edits? I thought it was just NBC in general.

Broadway Video, Michael's company, controls all the shots. NBC is merely the distributor in this case.

The Wikipedia page has a plethora of information regarding the show and books like Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live go more in-depth. Gasping for Airtime is another good look into the show as well from Jay Mohr's point-of-view.

EDIT: I get the case for episodes that might run 35-45 minutes in length due to the syndication re-runs, but the ones that only run 15-35 minutes are boggling. I get in the cases of Seasons 31+ where "highlight" episodes were made for purchase on iTunes, but for the earlier seasons is just confusion. I don't really care about the musical acts, I just want all the skits to be in-tact.

MJG87 11-15-10 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 10492426)
EDIT: I get the case for episodes that might run 35-45 minutes in length due to the syndication re-runs, but the ones that only run 15-35 minutes are boggling. I get in the cases of Seasons 31+ where "highlight" episodes were made for purchase on iTunes, but for the earlier seasons is just confusion. I don't really care about the musical acts, I just want all the skits to be in-tact.

Yeah same here, Season 35 is now up also. For 31+ I was hoping they would go back and reinstate missing sketches since these obviously aren't for a purchasing itunes/amazon audience.

chuckd21 11-16-10 12:56 PM

It's weird. They were edited down for reruns on Comedy Central back in the day. Now they're edited down from that? Ugh.