DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   EVERY Episode of SNL Coming to Netflix Next Week! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/579775-every-episode-snl-coming-netflix-next-week.html)

DVD Josh 09-24-10 10:00 PM

EVERY Episode of SNL Coming to Netflix Next Week!

This is awesome news...I have been waiting almost a decade to see the Patrick Stewart episode again, it's still among my top 10 favorite ever.

http://splitsider.com/2010/09/every-...tch-instantly/

Well, here’s some pretty amazing news for Netflix subscribers who like to stream stuff via the Watch Instantly feature. A new deal with NBC is bringing every single episode of SNL ever to the service, with new episodes being added the day after they air for at least the next three years. Holy moly.

In addition to this, Netflix Watch Instantly is getting the latest seasons of 30 Rock and The Office. Also, all of Battlestar Galactica, which isn’t comedy, but, come on.

You can’t help but see this as kind of a middle finger to Apple, who NBC is refusing to give content to for their 99-cent TV show rentals. Hell, just yesterday Jeff Zucker said “We do not think 99 cents is the right price point for our content. We thought it would devalue our content.” With this deal, people are going to be watching a hell of a lot more than 8 episodes per month of NBC shows for $8 a month, so what’s more devaluing?

Anyways, it’s all hitting the service next week. Better carve out some time for those early-80s seasons! Here’s the full press release with all of the nitty-gritty details:

Netflix and NBC Universal Announce Agreement to Stream Prior Season Cable and Broadcast TV Series New to Netflix Members
Deal Includes Prior Season Episodes from NBC, USA and Syfy Series As Well as Day-After Broadcast Of “Saturday Night Live”

NEW YORK and BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., Sept. 24 /PRNewswire/ — Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) and NBC Universal Domestic Television Distribution today announced an expanded license agreement through which Netflix members can instantly watch a selection of broadcast series from the NBC television network and – for the first time on Netflix – content from some of NBC Universal’s popular cable channels.

The multi-year deal kicks off next week and continues the relationship between Netflix and NBC Universal.

The agreement adds significantly to the growing selection of movies and TV episodes that can be streamed instantly from Netflix with memberships starting at $8.99 a month. Among the highlights, Netflix members will be able to instantly watch:

* Episodes from every season of NBC’s signature comedy franchise “Saturday Night Live,” including day-after broadcast of the upcoming 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons plus hundreds of episodes from the first 35 years of “SNL.”
* Every episode from the last season of the multiple Emmy® Award-winning series “30 Rock,” “The Office” and “Law & Order: SVU,” as well as earlier seasons of those shows renewed for streaming from Netflix under the current deal.
* All prior seasons – and eventually next year’s final season – of “Friday Night Lights,” the small-town drama surrounding high-school football in Dillon, Tex.
* All prior seasons of USA Network hits “Psych,” the comedy featuring James Roday as a fake psychic who solves crimes with his best friend, Dule Hill; the drama “In Plain Sight,” starring Mary McCormack as a U.S. Marshal in New Mexico; as well as all seasons of “Monk,” starring Emmy® Award and Golden Globe® Award winner Tony Shalhoub in the title role. Prior seasons of all three shows are available to watch instantly at Netflix for the first time.
* More than 75 prior season episodes of Syfy’s mainstay “Battlestar Galactica,” as well as prior seasons of the network’s popular series’ “Destination Truth” and “Eureka” – all streaming from Netflix for the first time.

“We are very pleased to continue our successful relationship with Netflix,” said Frances Manfredi, executive vice president and general sales manager of cable and non-theatrical sales for NBC Universal Domestic TV Distribution, who forged the deal. “We applaud Netflix for recognizing the value of content like ‘SNL,’ ‘Friday Night Lights,’ ‘Monk,’ and ‘Battlestar Galactica’ to their subscribers.”

“This agreement adds meaningfully to the wide variety of content that can be streamed from Netflix and breaks new ground in our relationship with NBC Universal,” said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix.

Groucho 09-24-10 10:01 PM

Re: EVERY Episode of SNL Coming to Netflix Next Week!

Excellent news all around. :)

TheKing 09-25-10 12:10 AM

Reading that press release, it doesn't say that every episode of SNL will be on there, it says episodes from every season will be on there. Lorne Michaels has taken past episodes out of circulation before, so the wording may be a way to get around those.

It would be cool if every episode is there, and I might consider signing up for Netflix if it comes to pass. I miss the days when Comedy Central had the syndication rights.

Chaza 09-25-10 01:17 AM

Something like this may bring me back to Netflix.

MJG87 09-25-10 04:01 AM

This sounds crazy, but will they be the original 90 minute versions? I'd definitely be interested in seeing the post 9/11 show and others in their entirety.

fuzzbox 09-25-10 11:07 AM

This might be worth my getting netflix if, in fact, these are the uncut original versions. But what are the odds of that?

I seem to recall there being cuts in the videotape version of the first episode, with George Carlin. And just to see if they put on the Elvis Costello musical performance, or the episode that got Charles Rocket fired, and I'm sure there are lots of other moments, before it got lame...

-jason

fuzzbox 09-25-10 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 10391636)
Reading that press release, it doesn't say that every episode of SNL will be on there, it says episodes from every season will be on there. Lorne Michaels has taken past episodes out of circulation before, so the wording may be a way to get around those.

It would be cool if every episode is there, and I might consider signing up for Netflix if it comes to pass. I miss the days when Comedy Central had the syndication rights.

Originally Posted by DVDJosh
Well, here’s some pretty amazing news for Netflix subscribers who like to stream stuff via the Watch Instantly feature. A new deal with NBC is bringing every single episode of SNL ever to the service, with new episodes being added the day after they air for at least the next three years. Holy moly.

-jason

Derrich 09-25-10 11:54 AM

This would seem like more of an FU to Hulu...which is odd considering NBC's stake in Hulu.

D

Jimmy James 09-25-10 01:13 PM

I don't think it's an FU to Hulu as much as it would be to iTunes. In fact, opening up the library to include non-Hulu sources for a portion of your programming may help when it comes to regulators scrutinizing your business. I'd guess Hulu Plus either has or will get anything Netflix gets here.

maingon 09-25-10 01:50 PM

very nice, theres been alot of great adds to netflix watch instantly lately

DVD Josh 09-25-10 01:51 PM

To get everyone excited:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WkMRTMGrLF0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WkMRTMGrLF0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TheKing 09-25-10 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox (Post 10392095)

That quote is from the article that some blogger wrote, where his only evidence of the accuracy of his story is the press release that he also included.

Nowhere in the press release does it say that "every single episode of SNL ever" is coming to Netflix. The writer of the story has inferred this from this line:

* Episodes from every season of NBC’s signature comedy franchise “Saturday Night Live,” including day-after broadcast of the upcoming 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons plus hundreds of episodes from the first 35 years of “SNL.”

I can see how one might read that and say Netflix will have every single episode. But it could also be as few as 6 episodes from each season and it would still qualify as having episodes from every season and hundreds of episodes overall. (35X6 = 210)

Don't you think if it was every episode the press release would say that clearly? I mean they were pretty clear in the blurbs below that one about which episodes you're getting from the other shows. But SNL's blurb is vague.

It would be nice to see every episode show up, but the press release doesn't support it.

comanche_doyle 09-25-10 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10391464)
This is awesome news...I have been waiting almost a decade to see the Patrick Stewart episode again, it's still among my top 10 favorite ever.

Was that the one with Phil McCracken: Scottish Therapist?

Dragon Tattoo 09-25-10 07:02 PM

Yeah, nowhere in that press release does it say every single episode. Someone cannot read.

fuzzbox 09-25-10 10:07 PM

(hangs head in shame for not realize where blog stopped and press release started)

-jason

Travis McClain 09-25-10 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10391464)

Originally Posted by comanche_doyle (Post 10392737)

I only remember two sketches: Love Boat: The Next Generation ("Good Lord, Data! That's a human heart!") and the erotic cake store where every cake featured a urinating woman.

The one thing that I remember was that when I caught the repeat viewing was the first time I was conscious of the fact that they re-sequenced sketches from the original broadcast. I know longtime viewers were already aware of this, but it was the first time I ever paid any attention to it.

riley_dude 09-25-10 10:38 PM

I would want to see the Gilda Radner stuff that wasn't on the Best of DVD's.

djones6746 09-26-10 08:47 AM

Excellent news!!! I recently joined Netflix for $8.99/mth after my 30 day free trial. The one dvd alllowance is plenty for me...I am more excited about the instant watching of hundreds and hundreds of movies and television shows since I do not have cable. The added ability to watch shows thru my pc and Itouch is incredible. No wonder Blockbuster is filing for bankruptcy.....not too hard to figure out why. :cool:

I will be checking out some of the SNL's from the 70's and 80's which in my opinion are the best!!! :)

starman9000 09-26-10 09:04 AM

Wow, this is great, we had already watched the currently available ones.

Can't wait to watch me some "Jerry Steve Dave, the Magic Man."

edit: Just read the rest of the thread, I guess something is better than nothing. Hopefully this means they'll start adding other stuff the day after as well.

Doc Moonlight 09-26-10 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by comanche_doyle (Post 10392737)

Aye, laddie, it is!

Personally, I want to revisit the Matthew Modine shoe for "The Liberal" sketch

GenPion 09-26-10 10:11 AM

This is great news! Thanks for sharing!

Achtung 09-26-10 07:59 PM

Nice, been wanting to rewatch a few of them for quite a while, like NBC News Employees (with Jimmy Smits, and everyone overpronouncing Spanish words) and the Orange Julius one with Sylvester Stallone.

MJG87 09-26-10 10:52 PM

When does Netflix usually update their watch instantly anyway? Wonder when this will all go live.

gmanca 09-26-10 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Achtung (Post 10394999)
the Orange Julius one with Sylvester Stallone.

A million times yes to this!

I so hope it's every episode ever, regardless of whatever "controversial" edits may occur; there are a ton of random skits that I have been wanting to watch forever.

NiCK Crush 09-26-10 11:26 PM

Wow... this might make me get Netflix