DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   EVERY Episode of SNL Coming to Netflix Next Week! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/579775-every-episode-snl-coming-netflix-next-week.html)

Drexl 12-20-10 11:01 PM

Re: EVERY Episode of SNL Coming to Netflix Next Week!

Damn, no Plug Away with Harvey Fierstein. There were at least 3 of those sketches and they were all cut.

DJLinus 12-21-10 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 10554179)
When you guys post "Hey I just watched the ____ episode" can you mention what season it was so it's easier to find and see what you watched

Ha, yeah, that'd be helpful. The Matthew Broderick episode I referenced the other day is from season 14.

raven56706 12-21-10 08:15 AM

do they have the jason priestly episode up yet?

Franchot 12-21-10 03:26 PM

I got a good laugh out of the David Carradine episode from Season 6. The episode only runs for 27 minutes due to the cuts and Carradine doesn't show up until half way through the show. (It would have been really funny if all the stuff with him was cut and he only showed up at the closing credits.)

This was the season in which Charles Rocket and Joe Piscopo were the two big stars on the show and Eddie Murphy was a second-string player. I laughed a lot at the episode because you can see how the writers were trying to be "edgy" with the material and the actors just sort of wing it and improv their way through the skits. Embarrassingly funny.

After that, I started on Episode 1 with Elliot Gould as the host as he does a spin-off of "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" as he introduces the new cast.

(I'll have to check out the Ray Sharkey episode from the same season and see what they do with him. The Bill Murray episode clocks in at 22 minutes. Hell. I think I'll watch the entire season. It should only take me about an hour and half :D. )

Travis McClain 12-26-10 06:27 AM

OMG! I just streamed Season 7, episode 17 hosted by Johnny Cash. Cash himself only appears in two skits comprising no more than five minutes at the end of the episode. The first of the two is just one of their commercial parodies that lasts all of about a minute, in which Cash doesn't say a word. Horribly, horribly disappointed by this butchery.

tommyp007 12-26-10 01:18 PM

watching season 12 now. Butchered to death. The ep. hosted by Shatner doesnt have the "Get a life!" skit!! So far each ep is about 20-35 minutes long. Soooo disappointed

Travis McClain 12-26-10 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by tommyp007 (Post 10560938)
watching season 12 now. Butchered to death. The ep. hosted by Shatner doesnt have the "Get a life!" skit!! So far each ep is about 20-35 minutes long. Soooo disappointed

"Get a Life!" is certifiably iconic and it got cut?!

DVD Josh 12-26-10 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706 (Post 10554577)
do they have the jason priestly episode up yet?

Yes they do and all of the quality sketches are included. He was amazing in the ep, I wish he did more.

BearFan 12-27-10 04:20 PM

I have been watching Season 23. While I wish they had the entire episode, this has been fun to watch.

reubs82 12-28-10 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BearFan (Post 10562209)
I have been watching Season 23. While I wish they had the entire episode, this has been fun to watch.

All I've been waiting on is the Garth Brooks/Robert Duvall "Who's More Grizzled?" sketch, and that damn thing is cut.

Brent L 01-03-11 06:25 PM

This doesn't have anything to do with SNL, but it is great how Netflix added all of the Kids in the Hall and Larry Sanders seasons to the site now!

Nesbit 01-03-11 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 10571998)
Netflix added all of Larry Sanders seasons to the site now!

You just made my week!

Guru Askew 01-03-11 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 10571998)
This doesn't have anything to do with SNL, but it is great how Netflix added all of the Kids in the Hall and Larry Sanders seasons to the site now!

When I looked "Larry Sanders" up on my Xbox it only showed 4 of the 6 seasons. Maybe the last two have been added since or they weren't coming up on the Xbox for some reason but yeah, it's a 6-season show.

and to bring this on-topic I scoured Seasons 20 and 21 of "SNL" for Bruce McCulloch films and sketches where Mark McKinney plays "Kids in the Hall" characters. There are 3 McCulloch films ("Stalking", "Vacation" aka "Eraserhead" and "Snowbird") and 3 sketches where McKinney played Melanie, Darril and Chicken Lady.

Scouring the Netflix eps for KitH content I ended up with a 50% success rate. Of the 3 McCulloch films only "Stalking" survives on the Netflix SNL episodes and Melanie and Darril made it into the Netflix edits while Chicken Lady is cut.

I had to resort to SNL episode guides to remember which episode contained which sketch/film and I was surprised to find that the Chicken Lady sketch was on the Season 21 premiere in which Ferrell, Oteri etc. made their debuts. It amazed me how your memory mixes everything up because seeing Chicken Lady on SNL was pretty epic for me in '96 but I never associated it with the introduction of the "new cast" even though I would have considered watching that episode a pretty vivid memory before.

Anyways, watching American SNL audiences watch McKinney playing KitH characters makes it easy to see why each character was only ever used once (it doesn't help that two of these sketches appeared in the dreadful 20th year) but even if his KitH characters were too weird for mainstream America McKinney himself was still criminally under-utilized on SNL. Moving any of the Kids over to SNL after they broke up would have been a no-brainer but looking back 15+ years later McKinney's stint on SNL seems like a missed opportunity, but I wouldn't place any of the blame on his shoulders. In a perfect world he would have been the Hartman-esque utility player as opposed to the truly awful Darrell Hammond.