Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

All told, and as the reaction over the credits montage proved, people put way more thought into this show than it's writers and creators did.

So while the show didn't have the brains people thought it had, it had a lot of heart, which unfortunately a lot people didn't care about or notice.
Old 05-25-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Without reading 500 posts first, I have to say one word about the finale. Beautiful.
That's pretty much my reaction too. I just watched it for the first time and it was just amazingly beautiful, and really moved me.
Old 05-25-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 916 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Yeah reasoning behind it was weaksauce but at least it clears one thing up
ABC answered more about Lost than the writers!

Old 05-25-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

two annoying things I noticed watching the finale again

1. When Miles called Sawyer to tell him he saw Sayid at the concert. He then told Sawyer he just called and was told the van never arrived at the prison. No he didnt.

2. Kate walked into the church wearing the dress, but when Jack joined everyone she had a totally different outfit on.
Old 05-25-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waiting to see how this gets deconstructed here:
They should not of released that info and let fans continue to debate the meaning of it. That was the joy of the show: debating every little detail, which in this case, would include the end credits.
Old 05-25-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
They should not of released that info and let fans continue to debate the meaning of it. That was the joy of the show: debating every little detail, which in this case, would include the end credits.
I wouldn't say debating "every little detail" was the joy of the show. Yeah leaving certain elements or themes open to interpretation is great, but in this case it was something the network tacked on, not the creators or the writers. Therefore letting us on to believe it could have meant something would have been disingenuous.
Old 05-25-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
All told, and as the reaction over the credits montage proved, people put way more thought into this show than it's writers and creators did.

So while the show didn't have the brains people thought it had, it had a lot of heart, which unfortunately a lot people didn't care about or notice.
Did it have that much heart? Or really when you think about it was it just a bunch of confused people running around like chickens with their heads cut off, doing a bunch of random shit just because the writers dug a hole they would never extricate themselves from and pulled the greatest television con in history.
Old 05-25-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You mean that they were just chalk on a wall and didn't really matter according Jacob? Which is why they were stamped on the hatch, being broadcast on a loop, winning Hurley the lottery, etc. Because they were just numbers on a wall according to Jacob. Quite an answer.
I don't like the answer we got about the numbers either. It's suggests the use of these numbers over and over again was nothing but coincidence.
Old 05-25-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You mean that they were just chalk on a wall and didn't really matter according Jacob? Which is why they were stamped on the hatch, being broadcast on a loop, winning Hurley the lottery, etc. Because they were just numbers on a wall according to Jacob. Quite an answer.
Awesome post.

I can't believe people are actually satisfied with the majority of the answers that were given. I've never seen anything like it. Either no answers were given or the most nonsensical, farcical, bullshit answers were.
Old 05-25-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by siddd5
If they didn't introduce the fact that 6 of them got off the island at one time, then the best ending would be their rescue.

If it wasnt for the 'Flash-Forward' episode, which was lights-out great, I would then say that story-wise, they should never have left the island in the middle of their 6 year run.
I think the ending you're suggesting is what the producers assumed the audience was expecting to be the show's end. By having some of the survivors leave the island before the series' end, it not only surprised the audience, it also proved what Locke had been saying to Jack: they weren't supposed to leave. It wasn't until Jack tried to live a normal life again off the island that he realized Locke was right. He still had something to fix on the island (which I believe was getting the rest of the survivors off the island like he had promised them) and he had a part to play in the island's past (the Incident that took place in '77). Once he did what he had to do, Jack knew he could let go.
Old 05-25-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Therefore letting us on to believe it could have meant something would have been disingenuous.
Good point. The creators/writers wouldn't want to do that right?

Old 05-25-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Awesome post.

I can't believe people are actually satisfied with the majority of the answers that were given. I've never seen anything like it. Either no answers were given or the most nonsensical, farcical, bullshit answers were.
I have resigned myself to the fact that at least I enjoyed the show, even while knowing they had no direction or answers to the majority of the mysteries (and really we all kind of knew that early on, but kept lying to ourself that it wasn't the case). It was fun through the years as people tried to tie together different pieces of the puzzle.

I enjoyed those threads. But it really is shameful how amazing some people's theories were, and how much research they had done. And now for what? To analyze a show that the writers did not put nearly as much effort into. To name characters after certain people, to place certain books so that we caught a glimpse of them thinking they were a clue. Why did the pictures in the frames change? What could it mean? Oh that's right, it means the writers knew it would fuck with our heads.

Now, it turns out they were laughing while doing that. Let's throw this in. This will get the internet geeks heads spinning. What a bunch of fucking scammers. They had very little respect for their audience, and I will not trust any project they are involved with from now on.

Fool me once...
Old 05-25-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
Good point. The creators/writers wouldn't want to do that right?

They don't want ABC to do it for them was my point.

Last edited by rocketsauce; 05-25-10 at 09:23 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar fucktard
Old 05-25-10, 09:28 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31
two annoying things I noticed watching the finale again

1. When Miles called Sawyer to tell him he saw Sayid at the concert. He then told Sawyer he just called and was told the van never arrived at the prison. No he didnt.

2. Kate walked into the church wearing the dress, but when Jack joined everyone she had a totally different outfit on.

Kate's dress change confused me too. Actually could there have been a 3rd dress? I thought the original dress that Desmond took out of the bag to give to Kate had spaghetti straps on it? Her concert dress was strapless.
Old 05-25-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I normally read all the posts looking for answers, but 50+ pages is just too many to go through so please forgive me if someone already answered this. Why did we need the flash-sideways storyline this year? When Jack asked Christian in the church "What is this place?" and Christian said it was a place they created to remember and let go, was he talking about the church or the entire sideways storyline? If it was the whole sideways storyline, what happens to the people in this storyline who didn't go to the church? Island Jack never had a son, so what happens to David in the sideways storyline?
Old 05-25-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AJW
Kate's dress change confused me too. Actually could there have been a 3rd dress? I thought the original dress that Desmond took out of the bag to give to Kate had spaghetti straps on it? Her concert dress was strapless.
That sucks about the dresses. I hate finding continuity flaws in shows/movies I like. When I re-watched the pilot episode Saturday, I noticed Cindy the flight attendant ran past Jack toward the front of the plane when she tried to coax Charlie out of the lavatory. Yet somehow, Cindy showed up on the island with the rest of the Tailies.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 05-25-10 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Awesome post.

What answers about shit that occurs on a magical island would be reasonable? Let's get real here.
Old 05-25-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I normally read all the posts looking for answers, but 50+ pages is just too many to go through so please forgive me if someone already answered this. Why did we need the flash-sideways storyline this year? When Jack asked Christian in the church "What is this place?" and Christian said it was a place they created to remember and let go, was he talking about the church or the entire sideways storyline? If it was the whole sideways storyline, what happens to the people in this storyline who didn't go to the church? Island Jack never had a son, so what happens to David in the sideways storyline?
Jack never had a son period. His son was just a figment of his imagination creating that relationship that he never had with his own father.
Old 05-25-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, in Jack's wildest dreams, he's still a failure at marriage? Seems cheap.
Old 05-25-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Here's an idea. Make them getting off the island, the ACTUAL ENDING. Maybe don't have a fake off-island sideways timeline happy place.

Then the actual final ending, the survivors leave for good, due to Jack's sacrifice. Then his death would actually fucking mean something.
I think Matthew Fox was right when he said on Jimmy Kimmel that the show was about Jack's test. His time on the island was like a second chance for him to prove something, fix something, etc., so he could let go and move on to whatever comes after death. It's clear to me now that Jack died when Oceanic 815 broke up, and when we see his eye open in the first episode he's not just waking up from unconsciousness, he's getting his life back so he can do whatever he needs to do and then move on to the afterlife. By the show's end, he had played his part in the island's history (the Incident) and in getting his friends off the island for good; he could finally let go and move on. I think his death did mean something.
Old 05-25-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
So, in Jack's wildest dreams, he's still a failure at marriage? Seems cheap.
Agreed. And Kate imagined herself as a fugitive still? Or was the sideways world only Jack's vision of a better life (not Kate's)?
Old 05-25-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Jack never had a son period. His son was just a figment of his imagination creating that relationship that he never had with his own father.
I read in Entertainment Weekly that the producers felt they couldn't tell their story without the flash sideways. Really? I don't see how the sideways world was necessary. Was it entertaining? At times, but aside from that I fail to see how it was necessary to complete Jack's story arc on the island.
Old 05-25-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

seriously people that were expecting reasonable answers prolly should of quit watching the moment they heard dinosaur noises coming out of the forest
Old 05-25-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
What answers about shit that occurs on a magical island would be reasonable? Let's get real here.
Cuse and Lindelof no doubt thought just that before penning the drivel found in Across the Sea. That somehow incorporating magical elements will preclude people from wanting sensible answers to questions raised in past seasons, you know, when shit wasn't fully "have this magical water that I gave magical properties with my magical chanting." First the "security system" that was supposed to be given a plausible explanation turned into some actual benevolent force capable of shape-shifting. Then we got Across the Sea. I wasn't a fan of the time-travel either, but hey, at least that's not flat-out magic shit.
Old 05-25-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the people who thought they were watching a show about compelling characters should have watched the Wire or Six Feet Under.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.