TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Re: Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
I'm not saying they didn't have a master plan, but that scene is not sufficient to prove that they did.
exactly. sure, they had a plan on where they wanted to take the show, but using that scene as an example for everything that has happened in the past few seasons is a joke. i mean, if Locke started spouting off about a guy named Jacob, then maybe you'd have an argument.
Old 02-03-10, 09:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Here's a thought:

- Smokey now occupies Locke
- Jacob now occupies Sayid

yes/no?
Smokey copied Locke. Locke's body remains a seperate entity.

If Jacob occupied Sayid, his powers would be somewhat different.

My guess is that Jacob and "Esau" both have the ability to "Smoke Out", and that depending on the appearance of the smoke monster in the show thus far it could be either one.
Old 02-03-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I want to be clear that I NEVER said I hated the show. Just that I'm disappointed in the direction.

I'm not looking for everything to wrapped up. I'm just looking for something, after 5 seaons, to be explained in a reasonable way. People are freaking out about the ash, saying "That's why it was around Jacob's house!" I say..."why does a line of ash keep this thing away?" I honestly hope they answer that. If this was a movie or a book, I guarantee someone would explain how it works.

Let me give you an example of a "mystery" that LOST solved well: the polar bear. You see the polar bear. You wonder how it got on the island. Then you find out about the others and their zoo, and the presence of the polar bear makes sense, as long as you accept the presence of the zoo, the Others, the island in general, etc. That was a good "answer" to the question. THAT'S ALL I'M LOOKING FOR. For this issues to be somehow addressed.

I've watched and enjoyed plenty of "challenging" television over the years. My tastes aren't particularly mainstream. I'm just disappointed in LOST lately, but I will watch the rest of the season in the hopes that some of these things are addressed in a straightforward way, and because I like the actors, and because my wife loves the show.

Guess these threads are only for people who love the show. I suppose I'll chime in again if they do something I think is great.

For those that say "what's the point of complaining?"...I'd argue it's just as pointless to come in and say "I love this show!"
Old 02-03-10, 09:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Why does garlic repel vampires?

Why does a silver bullet kill werewolves?
Old 02-03-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I want to be clear that I NEVER said I hated the show. Just that I'm disappointed in the direction.

I'm not looking for everything to wrapped up. I'm just looking for something, after 5 seaons, to be explained in a reasonable way. People are freaking out about the ash, saying "That's why it was around Jacob's house!" I say..."why does a line of ash keep this thing away?" I honestly hope they answer that. If this was a movie or a book, I guarantee someone would explain how it works.

Let me give you an example of a "mystery" that LOST solved well: the polar bear. You see the polar bear. You wonder how it got on the island. Then you find out about the others and their zoo, and the presence of the polar bear makes sense, as long as you accept the presence of the zoo, the Others, the island in general, etc. That was a good "answer" to the question. THAT'S ALL I'M LOOKING FOR. For this issues to be somehow addressed.

I've watched and enjoyed plenty of "challenging" television over the years. My tastes aren't particularly mainstream. I'm just disappointed in LOST lately, but I will watch the rest of the season in the hopes that some of these things are addressed in a straightforward way, and because I like the actors, and because my wife loves the show.

Guess these threads are only for people who love the show. I suppose I'll chime in again if they do something I think is great.

For those that say "what's the point of complaining?"...I'd argue it's just as pointless to come in and say "I love this show!"
It took almost 3 years to reveal that the bears were there due to Dharma. Relax.
Old 02-03-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Does the translator remind anyone of Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now?
Locke talking to Ben in the foot reminded me of Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.
Old 02-03-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho

Or ghosts/demons being unable to cross a line of salt?
Old 02-03-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Locke talking to Ben in the foot reminded me of Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.
I had the same thought.
Old 02-03-10, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one of the few things about Lost that ever dissapointed me was the storyline of how they ended up back on the island after they were 'rescued'. that was lazy storytelling, and to me, had something to do with the fact that ABC cut down on the # of overall episodes for the series. If they had the chance to stretch that out, it couldve been much much better.

thought the premiere this year was fantastic
Old 02-03-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

There are still over 11 hours left of the show to tell.

If you're reading a 400 page mystery novel, and the mystery isn't solved by page 350, do you get upset?
Old 02-03-10, 10:03 AM
Banned

The hydrogen bomb reset the 1977 timeline and sent the losties forward to the 2007 present but it also started a new timeline where the plane doesn't crash. Nobody was too effected by the bomb blast/time shift because the moment it was set off, that timeline was erased. The losties had some residual effect like some temporary hearing loss and ending up in a tree.

The new timeline must be eliminated and the original restored. Jack and Locke will make contact and start to talk about their dreams/memories of the island. Eventually they will find Faraday and try and correct the timeline by getting back to the island but they don't know that it's under water.

The losties from 2007 have to decide whether it worked or not. Juliet said yes (she's right but she's doesn't know about the other timeline). Hopefully they'll figure out that they shouldn't be there if it worked.

They must stop the bomb from being used without being seen by anyone from 1977 and let The Incident happen as it originally did without the bomb. The losties will be sent to the 2007 present (including the living Juliet) and the 1977 Dharma team will do what they did and build the Swan station around The Incident.

The new timeline would now be gone but the losties are still separated on the island in the 2007 present with Locke being dead and Sayid resurrected and Ben useless.
Old 02-03-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Fair enough. But I can't recall a vampire or werewolf movie that didn't explain what vampires and werewolves were.
Old 02-03-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
The hydrogen bomb reset the 1977 timeline and sent the losties forward to the 2007 present but it also started a new timeline where the plane doesn't crash.
This sounds familiar...

Old 02-03-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Well garlic affects your blood pressure by helping to keep it down. Given vampires need a constant infusion of fresh blood, one can assume their blood pressure is already low and thus they have an aversion to garlic.

Dunno about why a werewolf would have what must be a violent allergic reaction to silver yet doesn't succumb to lead poisoning from regular bullets.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-03-10 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jacob/Man in Black/Smoke Monster all vaguely remind me of Supernatural (especially this season with the vessels). I wonder if it's something similar?
Old 02-03-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jacob wanted Sayid brought to the temple for a reason and his survival must be important.

But, Sayid being Jacob seems to obvious. I can't see the writers going this route.

Sayid was clearly dead. When he awoke, even the japanese guy and four eyes, were shocked and surprised, so they must never have seen someone come back to life like that.

Remember, dead is dead.
Old 02-03-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got that vibe too but seems the beings in LOST only copy rather than possess.
Old 02-03-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
J
Sayid was clearly dead.

Remember, dead is dead.
Then clearly you are wrong. Because, as clearly explained by The Princess Bride, there's dead, and there's "mostly" dead.
Old 02-03-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jacob's death was a little too Obi-Wan Kenobi for me.

I'm still very intrigued by Jacob saying "They're coming" as he died. No one seems to be talking about that.
Old 02-03-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Sayid was clearly dead.
Miles' reaction made it pretty clear that Sayid never actually died.
Old 02-03-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Then clearly you are wrong. Because, as clearly explained by The Princess Bride, there's dead, and there's "mostly" dead.
Well I don't recall anyone giving Sayid a chocolate coverd pill so...
Old 02-03-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well I don't recall anyone giving Sayid a chocolate coverd pill so...
You didn't see everything that happened under water while the hourglass ran its course.
Old 02-03-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
You didn't see everything that happened under water while the hourglass ran its course.
Touché.
Old 02-03-10, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
There are still over 11 hours left of the show to tell.

If you're reading a 400 page mystery novel, and the mystery isn't solved by page 350, do you get upset?
That's the same I don't get about people criticizing negatively last night show. It seems a lot of people wanted all mysteries resolved last night. Why would the writers do that if they have a lot of more episodes left?
Old 02-03-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think we're dealing with alternate realities. (I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been discussed.)

Juliette's "last words" were "it worked". The bomb reset the timeline so they never crashed on the island in 2004. I think what's happening now is that Lost is back to doing flashbacks again. The events of the no-crash crowd are taking place in 2004 and the events of the island crowd is taking place in 2007 (today?). Notice that no one on the island is talking about the original crash or the bomb. And when Miles tells Sawyer Juliette's last words, he seems more confused than anything. What "worked"? Also, Juliette fell into a deep, deep hole in last year's finale but there she was close to the surface last night. Why? Because in this timeline, they never dug the hole that punctured the EM pocket. Thus no need for Desmond to be at the console for the 108 minute countdown. Thus Desmond was on the flight after finishing his race. Thus no crash of 815.

It's my opinion that the flashbacks are now going to tell the story of how the Losties still manage to get on the island without the 815 crash. And the island story (based on the new circumstances under which they came to the island) will progress to the finale to reveal what the island and Jacob/Smokie are all about.

And by having them end up on the island again the writers are revisiting the pervasive Lost theme of destiny and free-will.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.