TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Originally Posted by Superman07
What was it Juliette said to Sawyer about coffee? Maybe she was slipping in and out of her "other" experience in NC timeline where she's still alive?
That was my thought, foreshadowing that they are going to meet up in the other timeline.
Old 02-03-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And according to the EW article, NC people may have had different flashbacks, i.e. Kate didn't kill her dad, she killed a plumber or something like that. The archetypes are the same, but some things may be different. Some of those things are going to be explained in the next episodes, but just some, not everything.
Old 02-03-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My initial reaction to this episode was, "wow that sucked". But then in hour 2, it all started to come together. I think I figured out some of the madness, and if it goes to where I think it is, this is going to be a really satisfying conclusion to an excellent show.

i also came to another conclusion...the general TV watching public cannot understand a show of this caliber. They want happy little endings that give the answer to every question. Frankly I find that boring, but then again I never really watched those programs all the time like most do.

Case and point, I am glad I stayed along for the ride.
Old 02-03-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for people who think that the creators of LOST were just making stuff up as the series went on, a scene from the pilot ...

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hn-g8OmkEIE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hn-g8OmkEIE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 02-03-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if at some point we'll get an explanation from Faraday (in the 70s, obviously not present day) regarding the dual timelines and how they're connected to one another.

Also I agree that the smoke monster has become a bit deus ex machina, their equivalent of "a wizard did it", but I'm willing to let it slide simply because O'Quinn is taking it to another level in that role.
Old 02-03-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
I just read the EW article and that's a must after watching the premiere. Really good info about what they are trying to do this season.
It's not too spoilery then, I take it? I sort of skimmed the questions but was a little apprehensive about reading it in detail.
Old 02-03-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
for people who think that the creators of LOST were just making stuff up as the series went on, a scene from the pilot ...

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hn-g8OmkEIE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hn-g8OmkEIE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

I'm not saying they didn't have a master plan, but that scene is not sufficient to prove that they did.
Old 02-03-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
And wasn't the smoke monster supposed to be some kind of automated defense system at first?
That's what Rousseau called it, but we have no reason to believe she had special knowledge of its purpose. Her characterization was probably based upon her first encounter with it, which we saw last season when it killed/infected the rest of her expedition.

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Ok, now that raises the question, why did smokey try to kill Locke in season 1?
When? The only encounter between Locke and the smoke monster ended with it leaving Locke, who subsequently said the monster was beautiful.

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
I think the alternate timeline will serve the purpose of reminding us and showing how much there lives really suck if they never did crash and they do in fact belong on the island.
Who's better off? The dozens of passengers who died in the crash? Charlie, Boone, Paolo, Nikki, and everyone else who died in the early days on the island? Locke? Sawyer?

Kate is the only one where this seems likely true, though Hurley and Jack might feel that way as well.
Old 02-03-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

I just hope we find out Locke's purpose in all this, beyond letting Terry O'Quinn flex his massive acting muscles. Cos when we saw the flashback of how he was crippled, Jacob appeared, seemingly revived him, and said something like "sorry but this had to happen". Why? Wouldn't saving Locke have been helping his rival, Smokey? Or does Jacob still have an endgame concerning Locke? Or were his plans ruined when Ben killed Locke and now Jacob intends to use Sayid instead?
Old 02-03-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think NC and C are still on the same time line. There's no alternate time line/universe like Biff created in Back to the Future.
Old 02-03-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
When? The only encounter between Locke and the smoke monster ended with it leaving Locke, who subsequently said the monster was beautiful.
At the end of season one. Smokie tried to drag Locke under ground and they threw dynamite in the hole to make it let go.
Old 02-03-10, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by outcastja
I think NC and C are still on the same time line. There's no alternate time line/universe like Biff created in Back to the Future.
How is that possible? NC has the island under water. C happens months later and the island is not under water.
Old 02-03-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

This is so vague, it could foreshadow almost anything.
Old 02-03-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
That's what Rousseau called it, but we have no reason to believe she had special knowledge of its purpose. Her characterization was probably based upon her first encounter with it, which we saw last season when it killed/infected the rest of her expedition.
And, she actually got that from one of the members of her team, Robert. He went into the temple to rescue the other team member whose arm got ripped off. This was during the time skips when Jin was there.
Old 02-03-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm wondering if we're seeing something akin to the new Star Trek movie with the bomb being equivalent to Nero's ship blowing up the Kelvin. It created a new timeline where specifics may be different, but the overall end result is the same.

In Star Trek, the whole crew still ends up on the Enterprise. In Lost, they might not be on the island, but they will all still be brought together because it's meant to be.
Old 02-03-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm assuming the note inside-the-guitar-case-inside-the-ankh was "Jacob's list" - as referenced in passing a couple of season's ago by some of the Others, around the time we learned of the submarine. Is there more than one list?

I believe the earlier reference was about somebody not being on Jacob's list, but I can't recall the specifics.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 02-03-10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay I really dig the No Crash timeline and I hope it continues. I do think Jack is somewhat sensitive to the island events in this timeline, and when he went into the bathroom he seemed to be somewhat alarmed by his appearance, even before finding that spot on his neck that was bleeding. Almost if he recognized for a brief second that he didn't look how he thought he should look.

And I think it'll be worth it just for the potential Jack-Locke scenes in this alternate timeline. I thought their interaction was great. Even having Boone and Locke talk was touching.

Last edited by chuckd21; 02-03-10 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I'm assuming the note inside-the-guitar-case-inside-the-ankh was "Jacob's list" - as referenced in passing a couple of season's ago by some of the Others, around the time we learned of the submarine. Is there more than one list?

I believe the earlier reference was about somebody not being on Jacob's list, but I can't recall the specifics.
Seems like Jack wasn't on the previously mentioned list, but he seems to be on this one. Lists may be something that Jacob does often.
Old 02-03-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved the comment by Boone to Locke - "I'll stick with you if the plane crashes"

We know how that turned out for him.
Old 02-03-10, 09:30 AM

Carlton and Damon on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

http://seriouslyomg.com/?p=13017
Old 02-03-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This is so vague, it could foreshadow almost anything.
I took from that scene that the island essentially being a battleground for Jacob and the Man in Black were planned straight from the beginning.
Old 02-03-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I took from that scene that the island essentially being a battleground for Jacob and the Man in Black were planned straight from the beginning.

Damon and Carlton mentioned in one of the Blu-ray extras that very early on they decided eventually the light and dark pieces would be personified.

Remember that Adam and Eve also were carrying black and white stones.
Old 02-03-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Super J
Carlton and Damon on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

http://seriouslyomg.com/?p=13017
I saw this last night and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before now in this thread (just caught up).

One important thing is they address the absence of Shannon on the O815.

Spoiler:

We already saw some of that self-correcting itself. Charlie dying in the bathroom because he was "supposed to". Shannon staying back in Australia will act as a replacement for her death on the island in the original timeline.

Also the series finale will be on

Sunday, May 23rd!
Old 02-03-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's a thought:

- Smokey now occupies Locke
- Jacob now occupies Sayid

yes/no?
Old 02-03-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Here's a thought:

- Smokey now occupies Locke
- Jacob now occupies Sayid

yes/no?
Seems to be the most logical path. But this is Lost, after all...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.